Misprision World – 6
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Tailor makes a man.”

A human was always judged by his or her clothes. What we like, where we came from, how we talk… even our choices could be predicted by one’s looks.

This matter has no fashion nor function involved. It all comes through psychology. If a man is dressed neatly and has a face free from any kind of dirt, he’s a man of elegance and charisma.

If his clothes are tattered, his face is mud-covered, and his body stinks even a meter away, he’s a poor, hopeless thief… rather, he’s Dion.

He’s still a kid, but if I decided to ignore the cliche book-cover quote for judgemental people, Elara wouldn’t have lost her wallet.

We achieved our quota from the quest. Having a dimensional storage came handy. The ink we gathered weighted almost 25 kilograms. Even Elara would have a hard time completing the quest if she did it alone.

Two in the afternoon, we stopped by the adventurer’s guild as mud and ink painted our clothes. We are asked to go to the back of the place, the storage room, so no one would notice my dimensional storage ability.

‘A kid? Having a storage ability? That’s news!’ Words like that which I don’t like should be erased from existence.

We were rewarded ten gold coins in exchange. I couldn’t help but feel glad that we still retrieved a third of gold from Elara’s lost purse. The longer I lived the noble life, the more money lose importance to me.

“It’s still early, Miss V—Vena. Why don’t we take a look around the city?”

“That’s not a bad idea! Count me in.”

After the sudden agreement, we took a stroll around the roads that screamed life. The first shop we encountered is a tailor shop. Beside the door, a signboard with huge text said, ‘Swift Tailor.’ It must be the name of the shop.

“Do you want to take a look inside? You might find a more comfortable gown, or a new comfortable casual outfit for escape… or maybe a swimsuit!”

“In your dreams, Elara!”

“Ehh? But I want to see milady wearing a swimsuit,” she squirmed. “It’s a revolution for your growing up when you did.”

“Aren’t you contented seeing me naked?”

"Do you think of me as pervert!? I’m never gonna be one!” Elara blushed. “I won’t be interested on looking something so plain.”

“I’m somewhat offended, huh,” I replied, winking my eyebrow as I rubbed my palm on my flat chest. “When you said ‘growing up,’ do you intent on adding a subliminal message?”

“What is it?”

“………Nothing.” She might not know what subliminal means. “Anyways, we aren’t here to window shop.”

“You’re right, Vena. We only have minimal time left to spare.”

Since my past life, it might be my first time shopping for something to wear. Back then, I only depended on donation clothes and giveaways. I mostly wear the same cloth consecutively for three days.

I’m unlike any other girls who have time for fashion. I’m left out as the remaining homoerectus who sees clothes only as a body cover and a counter to cold.

Aesthetics never came to my thoughts. I only wore what’s available, and it’s the same for the whole family. We have no money left to shop and leisure.

I might remember this day in my whole life as my first. I never thought I just need to die to achieve what I lack.

We got into the door, but a person collided with me on our way. She wore dark glasses and a long blanket surrounding both her body and her cape. Her glasses came of as we fell down the ground.

“I’m sorry! I’m not looking at my way,” I apologized, fixing my knees from dirt.

“No, it’s fine. I’m also beyond my mind’s vision—Red cat!?” She exclaimed the moment she saw my face.

As I look up at her, I saw her fiery crimson hair identical to mine. When I heard her voice, I’m rest assured. “Mom!?”

Looking both sides and behind us, Mom dragged us inside. The walls of the shop were lined with shelves of bolts of cloth, from the finest silk to the coarsest wool.

The floor was covered with rugs and carpets of various designs, some of them enchanted to change with the seasons or the mood of the owner. The ceiling was hung with banners and flags, some of them bearing the crests of noble families or guilds, others displaying exotic symbols and motifs.

The air was filled with the scent of lavender and mint, and the sound of scissors and needles at work. In the center of the shop, a large wooden table served as a cutting board and a fitting area.

Mom brought me not just inside the store, but inside the back door of the shop, leading to the shop owner’s lounge. The first floor was the shop while the second floor was the owner’s house.

Even with my clothes full of mud, Mom and I sat on the couch, circling the coffee table. Mom burned her eyebrows toward me and started a new session of scolding.

“Where in the heaven or hell have you been, prickly red cat!? You can’t just leave a letter in the middle of an engagement and pop off. The Juliets weren’t the one looking for Romeo.”

“We’re just—having fun, aren’t we, Elara!?” I thought Mom will scold me formally. I’m quite amazed she can talk informally outside the castle.

“Fun? Look at yourselves! It looked like you just came from fun,” Mom argued. “And you, Elara, my swift maid, you’re supposed to watch over my daughter. What the heck? I mean—WHAT THE HECK! ARGHH!”

“I’m sorry, your majesty! I won’t do it again,” Elara begged, bowing her head. “Please don’t fire me! I don’t want to lose Miss Veniara’s side again.”

“Don’t call me that in the public. Call me Madame instead. No one knew yet who I was.”

Since Mom was open to hear my concerns, maybe I can open about my thoughts on my engagement.

“Mom, I would like to request something only you can do. Please, Mom, it’s for your daughter and the country’s sake,” I said.

“I heed myself as more knowledgeable in foreign matters than you do, but I would like to listen to your mouth-muttering.”

“I don’t want to marry the prince of the West.”

“Why?”

“……Secret.”

“Then you’re marrying him.”

“Moooom, please! I don’t want to end up getting engaged to a man with very little presence, because… I’ll soon be kidnapped by the dark lord and will die from a banana peel.”

“Do you have 8th grade syndrome? Stop blaming something unreasonable, including your trauma, to a person you didn’t even meet yet.”

“I swear I didn’t met him yet, but from what I can tell about him, he lacks emotion and dialogue tags. He’s dark-haired and edgy. If not for his attendant, you wouldn’t notice him.”

“…That’s true, particularly the dialogue tags,” Mom said, pinching her chin. “But this engagement is a matter of political interest. It would greatly benefit the country.”

“That’s what I’ve been saying, Mom. I don’t even want to marry a person I don’t have romantic relationships with. If that follows your logic, does that mean you don’t love father too?”

“………Stop saying the obvious!” Mom squealed, looking away with her reddened face. What is she, a tsundere? She’s too old to be one.

“Anyways, you get my point. I don’t want to become some character development material for someone who doesn’t acknowledge his existence. He’s a sad boy.”

“So, what do you plan to do?”

“When will those Western butterflies go back to their cocoon?”

“Hmm… they’re waiting for you to appear to reconfirm the engagement. If it wasn’t unanswered in two days, they’ll go back to their continent.”

“Then, I should disappear in that two days. The problem was a slice of cake,” I smirked with confidence.

“And where will you stay?”

“Elara knows one place. She stayed there on her hiatus. Ellyn mentioned to me once that there are unutilized rooms in that place so I can stay there.”

“What do you say, Elara?”

“Pops had two rooms, and it will be surely occupied once I asked,” Elara replied. “He’s been a good owner and caretaker. You can leave Miss Veniara in his care.”

“Well then, pray tell, I approve your condemnment of your engagement, but I’ll seek the matter with the king and the other party’s ambassador first. The final decision won’t come in me.”

“I’m fully aware, Mom,” I replied with a smile. “I would be waiting to hear your final decision.”

Mom leaned her back and sighed. “You should think your choices carefully, red cat. Life isn’t a game, you know.”

“I always do.” After all, the route my life will take will decide the countless harsh futures waiting for me. And she’s wrong about one thing:

The moment I came here, the game is already on.

Mom stood up her seat and extended her hand at me. “That warmed my pancreas! Since we’re here, why don’t I pick a suitable clothing for you? I’m a good character of aesthetics, don’t you know?”

“I would humbly accept the invitation,” I replied, reaching out her hand. I stood up after she pulled me up. “By the way”

“The owner of this store is my personal tailor. She’s one of my benefactors.”

“Benefactors?” I never knew that in a fantasy world, investing was also a thing… and she had many!?

From another room, a woman walked delicately towards the coffee table, holding the tray of tea with steady hands. She wore a crisp, white shirt and a black skirt that flowed gracefully with her movements.

Her hair was tied in a neat bun, framing her angular face. She poured the tea into each cup with precision, not spilling a single drop.

It was late, but with squinted eyes cycling back and forth between my mother and I, she asked. “Why are you all standing? Are you two fighting? I don’t mind if you warm my couch.”

“Late reaction?” I muttered.

“Don’t misunderstand, Laurine. We’re in very good terms and came up with the same resolution. Right, red cat?” Mom confirmed, and I nodded as we both sat down the couch.

Laurine, the tailor and the owner of the shop, squinted her eyes at me, “By the way, Jenny, I assume she’s your daughter, with the fact you both have the same hair.”

“Ain’t we obvious? That pretty face and red hair only has one lineage, Laurine. Of course, it came down from me personally, though the aesthetics…”

“Oh my, did you bathe in mud earlier?”

“I humbly apologize for my unsightly appearance in front of my mother’s friend,” I replied with a bow. “To avoid affecting your furniture from our dirty clothing, I had used Ether to our whole body.”

“She can also use magic as well, Jenny!” Laurine exclaimed. “Why don’t you let her work at my store? I can adjust her pay. We can deal with it through negotiations.”

“Nah, Laurine… never gonna happen,” Mom said, shaking her head, and stood up to fetch me. “Red cat, you’re looking for something to wear, right? Wouldn’t you mind letting me choose what’s good for you?”

“Uhmm…” With my eyes breaking her eye contact, I fidgeted.

“I want to help too!” Elara exclaimed, raising her hand. I tried to stop her, but it’s too late.

“Then, red cat, by this day, you’ll be the very variant of every women,” Mom smirked, dragging me down the shop. I tried asking Elara for help, but from her cheering, Mom already win her over.

For this whole day… I became their personal doll.

1