Misprision World – 8
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The small room in the tavern is cozy and comfortable, yet compact. The room is furnished with a twin-sized bed covered in crisp white linens and adorned with two fluffy pillows. A small wooden nightstand with a lamp is placed next to the bed, providing a warm and inviting glow in the evening hours.

There is a single window, adorned with a heavy window covering, facing an old cobblestone street. A small closet is located next to the bed, providing ample space to hang clothes and store luggage.

Right now in the same room, the ill woman lied in my bed as I’m beside her. Her pulse weakened as slow beats resonated through my finger on her wrist. Even while sleeping, she was hyperventilating.

After clearing up the matter to the customers, Elara and Pops came into my room. They saw my hand glowing in while as a magic circle appeared below it.

“How’s she?” Elara asked with drawn eyebrows of worry.

“She had a flu, and it hadn’t been cured for a very long time.”

“A flu? What is that?”

I forgot that they don’t have a flu here, instead… “It’s orthomyxoviridae, a.k.a. influenza, and one can get it by breathing droplets from coughs or sneezes of an infected person.”

I’m familiar with the scientific term since I took an OJT for the medical field, managing the database of a hospital system. It was also the reason we got a thesis proposal about medical development of artificial intelligence.

In this world, a mild fever was a punishment given by god, for which the mages from the church can only cure. This was one dark influence for them to earn money without everyone knowing that it was a scam.

That is why they forbid the studies about the human anatomy and medical expertise and not because of magic. From the books I’ve read, instead of the religious ones, the church were commonly the schemers in disguise.

I couldn’t help but became suspicious, but as Mom said, the church has a greater influence than the royalty heads… and right now, we can’t do anything about it.

“Are you a saint candidate?” Pops asked.

“That’s what the church told me, and I hate being called that,” I replied with a click in my tongue. “Many will die because of their love of concept of ‘natural.’ Doctors can save lives. Who cares about what’s natural and not?”

“You’re wrong there, darling,” Pops argued. “If you insert something foreign in your body intentionally, you weren’t a human anymore. In the past, a criminal installed a metal arm that fired continuous magic rays and wiped out half of a country’s forces.”

“Pops is right, Miss Veniara,” Elara followed up. “Just thinking that your body is modified by metals is just… weird… and scary.”

I’m nearly getting angry on how arrogant Pops was, but after hearing Elara’s opinion, I realized how wide the influence of the church was. I couldn’t tell them that it was different in my past life.

The thought of installing a weapon in one’s body was terrorizing. I couldn’t blame them if most people believed that. But using that reason as a cause of banning doctors was far more flawed.

It just showed me that I can’t change this ideal alone. Facts weren’t enough to influence billions of people driven by emotion. A question stroke through my mind suddenly.

Should I change the people’s idea for development?

Of course… not! This is the novel’s world, and I have only one goal…

…To escape.

Moments after,

“Pops, can I ask you a favor?” I asked. “It has been a year since she got the disease in which left uncured. The antigens of my healing might take time before she can fully recover. She needs someone who can help her drink water.”

“How frequent do I do that?” Pops asked.

“The normal eight glasses. When she wakes up, tell her that she’s already healed, and I won’t charge her. If she woke up, tell her that we’ve been looking for her child.”

The magic circle suddenly disappeared from my hand. “I’m done. Send me a letter to the castle if she woke up. We’ll check up on her,” I said, straightening my legs to stand up.

“You really don’t sound like a ten-year-old, little princess,” Pops said.

“Thank you for the compliment.”

After that sudden detour of time, I packed our things from the room and readied for departure. Just as I peeked at the window outside, a carriage was already waiting for us.

Pops brought us out of the tavern. As we got, the carriage started without a hitch. We waved at Pops at goodbye as he slowly vanished from our sight.

That three days was the first time I’ve had real fun going outside.

I wished that when I came back, the happiness will remain the same.

The carriage ran through the entrance of the castle walls and straight towards the main chamber. When I always pass through this wall, I felt like Death was greeting me.

Like most other castles from the historical records of Earth, castles were built with defense in mind. The castle in our kingdom has no flaws and engineered with caution. Every cases of attack had been considered in building it.

I faced the double doors leading to the throne room again. When the doors opened, Mom and Dad were both waiting at the end of the red carpet, both burning their eyes at me.

It seems that Dad has no time for jokes now… it’s the last that I expect after I left home without their permission.

Elara and I stopped walking after reaching the edge of the carpet and kneel before my parents. They were synchronously clicking their fingers on the handle of their thrones, and it was the first time I saw them in sync.

“The ambassador of the West already left back their town. Don’t you know how much you’ve embarrassed us with what you did, Veniara!?” Dad growled.

“I’m sorry…”

“And it’s not just that! While we’re in a deep situation, you spent two days having fun outside. Elara, you’re the one tasked to watch over her. What happened?”

Elara didn’t hesitate to bow her head in front of Dad. “Please, forgive us, your majesty! I’m the one at fault. I’m the one who asked Veniara to go out. Please direct your anger at me.”

“No—Elara doesn’t have to do anything with this!” I spoke up with a raised voice. “I’m the one who wanted to escape the engagement. I only dragged Elara. Please, don’t punish her, because she’s lying for my sake. I’m ready to shoulder all the punishment.”

“Well then, other than my stupid daughter, everyone involved is free of charge. Veniara, you registered at the guild with a false name. Do you thought we wouldn’t know? I’m the king, you know! The king!”

“But that’s—I’m not even the one who registered myself! I’m just given a card with a name in it! And so you know, we’re not having fun! It’s just the first day when we met Mo—”

Cough! Mom intentionally coughed loud to dominate what I’ve been saying. “Now, now, why don’t thou calm down, popcorn? You need not to heated in this kind of things. And after all, it’s rare to see Veniara having so much fun. Won’t you let this slide?”

Slowly, Dad’s eyebrows gradually turned from a deep crater to a flat plain. He leaned back, sighed, and spoke. “You’re right. After being a shut-in for a year, she should feel the touch of grass again.”

That was quick! Mom won him over easily just from her ‘kind’ words, even though she also doesn’t want to get caught using her disguise. Also, there’s that event in the tavern when she caused chaos.

Doesn’t dad know that she’s slacking with her ‘benefactors?’

After Dad calmed down, I bowed my head until my face was inches away from the floor.

“I deeply apologize for the disappearance left unsaid. I was fully aware that I did something unforgivable within your jurisdiction. I will not tolerate any punishment that you give to me— ”

“Punishment?” Dad dominated, like he had some sort of idea. “Then as punishment… Get engaged to the Rutherford prince.”

What?

Silence invaded the hall for seconds as my eyes widened of shock. I hastily rose my head and shouted with volume.

“This is no time for jokes, dad!”

“Does this face look like I’m joking!?” He exclaimed in response. “You’re the one who wanted a punishment. I’m just waiting for your consent.”

“Why are you even forcing me to someone I don’t know? Why can’t you give me a direct reason why!?”

“The future of the kingdom lies in this engagement! That would be your punishment. You already know that when you’re the first daughter, it’s your fate to be engaged for your family. It’s a norm we don’t have control of.”

“That isn’t right…” I whispered, and I repeated it until it became a shout. “That isn’t right… That isn’t right! The future of the kingdom? How about my future? Don’t I have any other choice?

“Have I no freedom to choose who I wanted my life to end with? Am I unable to experience love without any political nor personal interest? Am I really a princess or a prisoner of time!?” I sobbed, with tears shedding down my eyelids.

Mom reached out her hand out of worry and replied. “We don’t want you to… We can’t risk a much peaceful decision like this. The whole situation is beyond our—”

I couldn’t even hold it anymore. My shout resonated to the blank corners of the throne room.

“Everything that you’ve told me were out of your control. I can’t believe that a kingdom was dull and irresponsible like yours! Or are you plotting something behind me? Are you supposed to say something that I should know? Too much for thinking about the kingdom… you’re a selfish king… No, you’re a selfish queen.”

Both their pupils dilated the moment my gaze turned at Mom. her lips unavoidably shook in fear of I knowing that she was the mind of the kingdom all along.

“W—What are you saying, red cat!?” Mom stuttered.

“Dad was just the speaker of your thoughts. You, Mom, you know the kingdom’s affairs more than anyone else… But you should try to understand your family’s situation too.”

“How d—did you know!? I’m deeply careful on not telling everyone about it.”

Mom, Queen Genivie Ravelgrace, was a careful person according to the novel. Until the end, no one knew that every decision of the kingdom was hers until she admitted it in Veniara’s grave.

The Greyrat’s assassination, Veniara’s engagement, and even the soon-to-happen kidnapping, all were directed to the queen. These benefactors she had were investors to something confidential where they’re the only ones who knew.

She utilized her time in some matters that she could only know. That is why she left her maids to take care of us. She’s such a deceitful mother!

“What’s important is that you had the decision after all,” I replied. “You even told me that you approved my decision, but you didn’t plan to after all! That sweet talk was all for naught.”

Suddenly, dark shadows appeared between Mom’s bangs and eyes as she leaned back at the throne. She looked down at me, mocking me like I’m a pitiful soul.

“So? What about the sweet talk?” Mom asked without her facade. “I’m a selfish queen for my kingdom, my people. And you? You’re a spoiled brat thinking only for yourself,. I believe your the most selfish one here.

“Let’s say you chose the finest prince of your dreams. Do you think you still have a home to go back to? Before you met that marvelous man, Valenluire, and even the whole kingdom of Ravelgrace, is no more. Our bloodline will vanish from existence. Was that what you wanted?”

I—I don’t even want that… I didn’t know that the kingdom is in the deepest pit and I’m the only one who could save it.

I couldn’t reply anymore when Mom stated a logical reason over my complaints. Only thinking of possibilities to avoid my death flag, I really am the selfish one.

I could only bit my lip and ran away, turning my face full of tears away from theirs. They tried to call my name with worry, but I didn’t bother.

I ran through the garden as the sun sets down. It was the only place that could understand me… also the place where I could scream all that I’m holding in my heart.

My eyes were filled with tears, blurring everything in my vision. Unexpectedly, I tripped my foot, making me kneel down the floor with my bleeding knee. Looking at the wound, I continue crying… not because the wound hurts.

Suddenly, I stopped crying when a shadow of a person surrounded my body. When I looked up at him, he extended his hand to help me stand up.

The boy had a raven-black hair that falls just above his shoulders, but because of his silhouette, I can’t clearly see what his eyes looked like. He is dressed in fine, elaborate robe which made him look like a prince.

“Are you hurt?”

1