Chapter 1: Brand-new World, Brand-new Me
785 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was lying in the grass, bathing in the rays of the sun. Beneath me spread something I had never touched in my entire life. Grass. Touching it felt special, it was more comfortable than any bedsheet I had ever slept in. For some unknown reason, I was naked, in what I assume was a forest. Although it was the first time I set foot outside the hospital, I felt more at home than I ever had in my room. With no one around, I did not feel the need to cover my breasts, which I could not have done anyway.

My body felt alive for the first time since I was born, my normal fatigue was gone, and I wasn't going to complain about it.

Standing up, it took me a few seconds to stabilize myself, and my first step came shortly after. Walking at 15 was probably a little later than most, but better late than never, and I mean that. Running was a dream I had given up on a long time ago, but still, it was strange to be able to walk so quickly after I got up for the first time. It all felt so natural, I was getting faster and faster, and after an hour I could even run. It was as if 15 years of being bedridden had never happened.

Without having any idea where I was, I just walked randomly among the trees. Their leaves were magnificent for someone who had never seen so many. Their colour varied between green, orange, and even blue.

Even though I was literally here for less than 10 minutes, I felt more at home than ever. Walking was the opposite of boring, and as time went on, I never tired of doing it. The air was pure, the wind drifted a gentle breeze at the perfect temperature, and I could live here forever without complaining.

There were more plants and flowers than I had seen on the Internet, but there were also some that I had never seen before, and those had a very special radiance.

Given the situation, it was likely that I was not on Earth, at least not in a known area. My completely healthy body and the strange circumstances of my awakening also pointed in this direction.

“Am I dead?” I think, therefore I am. That was proof to me that I was not dead yet, but if this was heaven, I would not complain.

After hours of wandering, the sight before me eventually changed, and it was even more impressive than before.

Flying sky islands were hundreds of meters above the ground, and I was on one of them. I could not see what was on the island above me, but most seemed to be just like mine, with many forests. Some were made up of simple grass, others looked more like swamps.

Strangely enough, after all the walking I wasn't tired at all, on the contrary, with the sun on my face I felt more energetic than before.

It seemed better to walk along the edge of the island than to return to the trees, so I did just that.

My stomach did not seem to get hungry as the hours passed, but my thirst definitely increased, and finding a water source became the goal of my hike.

When night fell, I simply laid down on the comfy grass. Surprisingly, I could see well at night, probably because the moon seemed to be bigger here than on Earth, but I paid no attention and fell asleep.

The morning sunlight was the best good morning I have ever had, and my search for water eventually led me back to the forest.

All was silent, and scarcely a sound was heard. A few small animals could be seen from a distance, but they ran away as soon as I came closer. I didn't recognize any, but at least the fact that there were animals was proof that a water source mustn't be too far away.

After a while, I finally found what I was looking for. A small pond with water. I drank my fill of the fresh liquid and rested. I even took the opportunity to wash.

I wasn't particularly hungry, but I still ate a few plants that smelled so enticing that I wanted to eat them. I also felt strange sensations from some of them, but it was closer to spiciness than anything else. Even the unusual didn't poison me, or at least I didn't feel anything different.

However, something strange happened when I picked up plants. Every time my hand came near a plant, the plant in question would lean toward my hand. It was as if I was attracting it. I confirmed this theory after further experiments and the result was the same.

With flying islands, strange ecosystems, and my own inexplicable circumstances. Frankly, I expected magic to explain it all. Waking up in the middle of an island in the sky, surrounded by things I'd only ever known from fantasy books and movies, was not an everyday occurrence.

I almost expected to be a dryad, because that would explain my fondness for nature and sunlight and the plant's attraction to me. When I look into the water, I still look human. My skin was still rose beige, my hair hadn't turned green but had remained light blond, and the water still showed me my brown eyes.

I looked just like Emery, the normal incapacitated human girl. Without the incapacitated part.

If there was magic here, which is more likely than not, I could probably find a way to use it, and my best chance was my strange affinity with plants.

I began to try to influence the surrounding plants and trees in various ways. From simply wanting them to grow to command them to grow, nothing seems to work.

I succeeded in my first successful experiment when I touched a tree and stood there for a minute, concentrating on it. At some point, I felt a light energy circulating in its roots and all the branches and leaves. At first, it was a strange feeling, but I quickly got used to it. I tried the same with flowers and was surprised at how far their roots could reach for their small size.

When I remembered the feeling, after a while I was able to feel them just by touching the ground under me. Meditating helped a lot in this case. Soon after, I was able to easily influence them and spread them out the way I wanted.

It would have been scary to have them emerge from the ground like giant tentacles if I hadn't been the one doing it.

After several hours of training, my head began to ache slightly, as if I had grown tired of doing nothing.

Eating plants and flowers, even when I wasn't hungry, helped with the headaches, especially the blue ones. It didn't take long for me to get used to my new plant-based diet.

I decided to make this place my temporary settlement. The pond was perfect for bathing and relaxing, the clearing was big enough and the only small animal that came just drank some water without disturbing me.

With nothing to worry about, I spent all my time sleeping, eating, and training my plant magic.

Somewhere along the way, my control has extended to vines and tree branches, which even lean toward my hand when I try to grab them. The vines were much easier to handle and could move quickly, even if their strength wasn't as great. If I ever had to fight, this would be my main weapon.

I also made underwear with them, it wasn't much protection, but it would protect my dignity just enough so that if I met another person, it wouldn't bother me.

I was used to loneliness, so being alone wasn't unbearable, but I'd never, ever complain about having someone to talk to.

The days passed, and I did nothing but practice magic. My mastery started to get pretty good at that point, if I may say so.

Since I would be staying here indefinitely, I decided to make a hammock out of the vines. It took me a few times to build a decent hammock with what I could remember from the internet. When it was finished, it was much more comfortable than anything I had ever slept on, which was not much.

I have put up tree roots as fences to delineate at least a perimeter. I have not seen anything bigger than an oversized rabbit yet, but that was better than nothing. If I were on Earth, I would expect to see deer running around, but since this is a fantasy world, I should expect things to be a little more dangerous than they used to be.

I even built a small house in case it started raining out of the blue.

Speaking of water, I noticed an energy similar to the one I associated with the plants when I bathed. Trying to control it was difficult, much more difficult than it ever was with the plants, but by training with each bath I was able to learn the basics and was able to rotate a bit of water.

Using magic was something I never expected but desperately wanted to do, and now I could do it to a small degree. Shooting a fireball was a dream that seemed within reach, if I could feel the energy of fire as I could with plants and water. Unfortunately, I don't know how to start a fire, and I haven't seen a fire-breathing dragon yet, so I don't have any flame to experiment with.

My first week in this world got off to a much better start than on Earth, where the doctor clearly didn't expect me to survive the day. They never told me what my disease was, probably so I wouldn't look for it online.

Now that I was free of disease, I, Emery, intended to enjoy life to the fullest. After all, I had to make up for all the experiences I had missed, even if I was doing it in another world.

Anyway, the very next day, things got a lot more action-packed.

 


Hey, I just made this awesome community. It's all about writing stories and becoming a writer.

If you're interested and want to write your own story, check the link: https://www.skool.com/unhook-4823/about

I see you inside!


Each chapter come with an AI generated image with the link to Pixai.Art.

https://s.pixai.art/a/1603220262358935259


 

22