Crime Report 22: Expedited Plans
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The news about the attack on Dogland got around faster than anyone could predict. By Paradigm standards, it was a bold move to attack somewhere in the middle of the night. In addition, it became apparent that our enemy no longer intended to hide. My old man called the Rotterdams immediately after he got the news. The Queen prevented the police from swarming the place while we cleaned the bodies. Burning the Vampyre bodies took priority over the rest of the clean-up. If humans got wind of the Vampyres working with paradigms, we'd suffer more than just a loss of face. 

Penny was still upstairs waiting for Becca to wake from her transition, so I decided to look for Yayoi. As I trudged through the halls of Dogland, my regret at not killing Carlos slowly wormed into my head. There was no way any of us could live here anymore. I'd lived here for years, raising money to get this place back in shape. Even going as far as doing whatever dirty work my old man would throw my way so that I could get Jules to help me save. It would've hurt less if they just came to rob us. 

Then there's the Armando asshole. Even though I only knew his name and he was working for someone. He isn't one to try to approach unwisely. He likely disobeyed orders, sending his goons to burn Dogland, meaning he didn't have much to lose. There was also the fact that whoever was paying him couldn't afford to lose him. So the most he'll get is some reprimanding and a demeaning punishment. But the most important fact I never glossed over was that this was the second time he trampled all over me. 

'Alex... Alex!" I heard from behind. Turning around, I found Yayoi with Yasuo. I almost saw that worried look Francis would give me occasionally on Yayoi.,"Sorry, Yoi... I was lost in thought. Hello to you too, Yasuo." 

"It is not an issue," said Yasuo. "It's to be expected that an attack on your home would vex you." What an understanding brother-in-law. Julius and Yasuo would get along nicely. 

"Thanks for understanding..." I hated that any of this happened in the first place. I hadn't even known why I was specifically targeted. Aside from the obvious, no one should've known I was the Crimson Death. I was getting too popular.

"Listen... We are happy to house your remaining residents in our compound," Yasuo offered. "It's the least I could do in case your family can not take them in." I almost answered Yasuo right away, but I was quickly reminded that only one other resident of Dogland left. I didn't think it was best to allow Becca to go to the place where she'd been threatened with death if she showed her face again. 

"If it's alright, I'd like Becca to stay with you. I'm sure you heard from Yayoi about her current condition. I'll figure something out for myself." 

"Are you sure, Alex?" Yayoi asked. "You could always stay at the compound with us."

"I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't know how the son of one boss is in the care of another family like that." 

"Nonsense," I heard from the staircase. "Go ahead." It was Furio. He'd been coming up the stairs and wiping his hands with a bloodstained cloth. "Your father has ordered you to remain with the Isoarashi for now. It's best to pack your remaining things and leave before the cops arrive." 

"B-But... What about Dogland?" Furio shook his head. He took a moment to take in the scenery before him. "This place will bring you nothing but painful memories. You'll become unfocused and make a rash decision. Such actions could prove fatal for you or those around you." 

I wanted to retort with something like, ‘It seems like just existing is causing that.’ But that wouldn't be appropriate. So instead, I just said, "Alright... I'd have given more lip if this were coming from the old man. Let me check on Becca, and I'll get to packing." 

Furio nodded, and the Isoarashi siblings let me by as I headed for the staircase. When I reached the third floor, I found Penny sitting in the hall outside Becca's room, clutching her legs like she'd been holding Becca. Her eyes were red from crying, and I'm sure she'd have to change that lovely black dress she wore from all the tears and snot. 

"What are you doing out here?" I asked her as I sat by her side. "The sister you called needed me out... I guess I was annoying her." 

"I'm sure it isn't like that. Sister Uriel wants to ensure Becca gets the best treatment possible." There wasn't much the Sister could do for a Paradigm, but Becca's case was a little particular. Since the black magic hasn't yet taken root within her, Sister Uriel can ensure Becca's wounds don't become life-threatening. 

"She'll be ok," I assured Penny, throwing my arm around her shoulder, and pulling her close. "I'm sorry I had to do it." 

"No... It's fine... I asked you to do it in case something happened anyway... At least now you can keep an eye on her." When Paradigm bloods a human, the two become connected in a way. Judith told me that a blooded pair will always know where the other is and can share the magic. As I reminded myself of that startling fact, I had no idea about what it meant for a sin factor to do this.

"Penny, I think it might be best to return to the estate," I said. I expected my sister to push me off her and declare that she wouldn't run away, especially if it meant protecting Becca. But I could feel her shivering under my arm. I'd forgotten she'd never really seen any action before. "I'm going to have Yasuo and Yayoi take care of Becca. Help her get back on her feet." 

Penny clutched my jacket and shook her head. "No, I want you to do it." There wasn't much I could show Becca about how to be a proper paradigm. I was nowhere near the definition. "Becca wanted to make sure we got out, even if it meant her death," Penny continued. "Everything was so scary. Sometimes I thought they'd catch us and do who knows what. I didn't know what to do, Alex. I was so scared I couldn't..." 

"Shhh... It's fine, Penny. Those guys are dead... Come on... We've gotta get you out of here before the cops arrive." I began to stand up and beckoned Penny to do so as well. When we got to her feet, I wiped away some new tears in her eyes. "Go find Furio and have him take you home. I got Becca, ok?" 

Penny sniffled and wiped her eyes. "You'll call me if anything happens?" I smiled and nodded. Penny lowered her gaze, continuing to wipe her eyes. She then headed for the staircase to meet with Furio. I would go to Becca's room, where I'd find Wynn wrapping Becca's head with bandages. "Hello again, Alex," Wynn said as I entered the room. "Miss Loveless's condition is stable. All she'll need is some blood when she awakens, and she will quickly recover." 

"Thank you for all your help, Wynn. I'm sorry I called on such short notice." Wynn nodded, "It is by God's will that I aid those who need it." 

"Look... I know this is something you like doing. But I'd like to pay you at least. I don't like asking for favors when I already owe so many." Wynn tilted her head, seeming confused, then shook it. "No... I can not take any financial compensation for aiding you. It would be against the teachings of our lord to do so." 

"I'm not talking about money... Information for our mutual friend." Bringing my voice to a whisper, I said, "You got something to write with and on? I want to give you both a recipe, at least to try. " Wynn knelt next to Becca's bed for her bag and got a notepad and a pen. Handing them both to me, I wrote down everything Carlos told me and handed the notepad back to her. "Make sure our mutual friend sees that. Tell them the second ingredient is more spicy." 

Wynn nodded, appearing to understand the code I was speaking. Placing her notepad back into her bag, she picked her back up and headed for the door. But she turned around before leaving. "Before I leave, I have to ask? You've progressed, haven't you?" 

I raised a brow, wondering what Wynn could've been talking about. Then I began to feel the miasma beneath the heaven's cloth stir like Pandora had said something irritating or concerning. "I noticed there was a change during the fighting. But other than that, I don't know what you mean." 

Wynn just smiled. "Worry not, my friend. Just be careful of how far you progress. You wouldn't want to fall even further from God's grace." On that harrowing note, Wynn made her exit. It was frightening how much she knew. I wondered if she had some kind of all-seeing eyes or something. 

"I never expected her to be so perceptive," Pandora whispered. "You'd best be careful about that one, Alexander." 

"Yeah... Yeah... shut it and go to sleep." Turning to Becca, she seemed so peaceful in her sleep. I hoped she wouldn't turn into a raging storm when she woke. Leaving Becca to rest, I went back to my room. More soldiers were finishing up cleaning the China man's brain matter. "Hey, there's a girl upstairs in the second room. Make sure the Isoarashi's people take her to their compound before the cops get here," I ordered. 

"Sure thing, boss," one said after wiping the blood. I then went over to my closet and started packing everything I could. I would only take a few clothes, a suit, and ammo. I did use the crimson miasma to store the desk, as Pandora showed me. After gathering the last of my things, I checked around the room to make sure there was nothing else I left. There were only the old books Francis used to read all the time. I started shoving them in the haze like the desk. There was no point in letting them collect dust. I took one more look around my old room as I approached the exit. I then dropped the key right on the ground. Furio was right. I didn't want to spend a second more in this place now. 

When I got back outside, I saw Yayoi waiting for me in one of the Isoarashi cars, along with her driver. The driver collected my things, putting them in the trunk, and Yayoi and I got in the car. Yasuo was sitting inside, contemplating something I probably couldn't wrap my head around. We quickly pulled away as the driver got in, driving back toward the Isoarashi's territory. Turning around, I saw some of Yasuo's men carrying Becca into a car to follow us. 

We'd pass by Sotenbori after a while before someone broke the silence. That someone was Yasuo, surprisingly. "Alex... Yayoi... I wish to ask something of you both." 

"What is it, brother?" Yayoi asked as she straightened herself in her seat. "It is presumptuous to ask this, but I managed to discuss what you found out from your captive with Walter," Yasuo began. "The man Carlos named is the Andrade family's Sin Factor. Remember his absence from the meeting of the High Table." Probably not the best move on his part, to be honest, but crazier things have happened. 

"In advance, I had my little birds ascertain the location of anyone missing from the meeting. It appears that Armando resided in his home with his wife, Carmen. There was no evidence of magic being used, and he made no effort to hide his face." 

"So what are you telling me?" I asked. Carlos fed us some bullshit!?" Yasuo held up his hand, urging me to calm down. "Not exactly. I had to do some digging, and I can confirm that Carlos indeed moved drugs for Armando, as he said. Carlos neglected to tell you that the IPD picked him up shortly after for getting caught with the stuff. But the police were paid off to release him." 

So that didn't mean Carlos was lying, but we still don't have proof of Armando being guilty right now. "So what can we do?" I asked. 

"Simple," said Yasuo. "If Armando knew exactly where to hit you to hurt you, it means he likely knew there was a chance he would fail. Whoever this mystery mastermind is will probably inform him of his blunder. This job was personal, and he'll likely go after you again. So we will have to weave a web to entrap him." 

Yasuo was speaking my language. I wonder if he could use someone he cares about as bait. Wait, no that would make me no better than him. I tried wrestling with a few ideas, but have yet to think of anything. Then I noticed Yasuo seemed to be waiting for me to stop thinking. "Well... what do you have?" 

"I hate that I've even considered this, but I must use you and my sister as bait." I had to admit, that was pretty ballsy. 

"But brother? How do you plan on doing that?" Yayoi asked. Yasuo's eyes darted between us, and he stroked his beard with the strangest look on his face. "Simple... As soon as I get the okay from the other bosses... You two will be married." 

0