Crime Report 24: A Celebrated Union
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Let the record state that from this point forward, I will never touch another drop of alcohol again. After that little fight, I did tell the bartender what Heracles said. I also ended up competing with Furio and Vito in a drinking contest. Since I recovered faster than any other paradigm, the detoxing my liver was doing was so rough I thought I'd puke out my guts. The next evening, I'd wake in my room inside the Isoarashi compound, where I heard a knock on the door.

"Alex? Are you ok in there? Yasuo is looking for you." Checking my pocket watch, I could see it was about eight o'clock. The wedding was in a few hours. So that meant I couldn't spare any more time trying to recover from the hangover hell I'd suffered all day. I threw on Mom's jacket, a shirt, and some pants, and then headed to the door. I reached for it only to be confused by the lack of a doorknob. I'd forgotten this was a Japanese compound. The doors slid instead of opening like normal. Pulling the door aside, I found Walter wearing a very fashionable black tuxedo with gold cufflinks.

"Well, don't you look like a crisp fifty-dollar bill," I teased. Walter smiled and straightened his collar. "Well, don't you look like absolute shit?"

That was fair, but that was only because I hadn't gotten my ceremonial garb yet. "Come on," said Walter. "Yasuo has your attire ready for you." Following Walter down the hall, we passed by a few soldiers from different families going in the opposite direction. They looked like guards, though they were wearing tuxedos as well. Even if the wedding was to bait out Armando, the security was still pretty tight. In the central building of the compound, there was a room that Yasuo used for meditation. From what I heard, it used to be his father, Hanabusa Isoarashi's training room. As Walter brought me to the hall, the room was located, and we found Goro and Kiryu standing guard outside. When they saw us approach, they opened the door, allowing only me to enter. Sitting inside was Yasuo, seated at the center of the room in front of a black haori, along with some more clothing. In front of the haori was also a Katana that looked brand new.

"Ah... I see Al the Juggernaut has graced us with his presence," Yasuo greeted. "I worried for you after the fun you had last night. We wouldn't be able to wake you from your slumber."

I had no idea what it was Yasuo was talking about. But hearing my old army nickname started a line of questioning that I was too hungover to even begin asking. "I assume we had a lot of fun last night?"

Yasuo stood and turned to face us. He had the widest grin I'd ever seen him have thus far. "Let's say, if my father were still alive, he'd love to have you as his son-in-law."

"I could allow you to live through the juicy memory if you'd like," I heard Pandora say in my head. No, thank you, I'd like no part of that. Yasuo turned back to the garb, his smile becoming less cheeky and more proud. "Akiko has been working on this haori since the night before the meeting with the Huangs. I hoped to present it to you earlier than this."

"No, don't worry about it. I'm happy that you'd even allow me to become a part of your family. Even if it is political."

"Nonsense... You should hear how Yayoi speaks of you. Even if the two of you aren't quite in love yet, I have a feeling you both have some space for each other in your hearts."

"Even if I'm still hurting from losing someone I cared about?" As much as I didn't want to ask that, it wouldn't be fair to Yasuo or Yayoi for that matter if I kept my pain from them. "It's beautiful that you had someone like that in your life. But from the way, Yayoi speaks with you and how you fight for her, I can tell that it will be no issue."

Yasuo picked up the Katana and drew the blade. As he beheld it, I noticed a tinge of agony in his eyes. Like he'd recalled a painful memory. He then sheathed the blade and held it up to me. "Since the beginning of the Isoarashi clan. Those who are born into our family or marry into it are given a Katana that was forged in our family home. There are times when these blades are never used. There have been times when great fiends wield them to slay scores of men. Today, you will enter our family. So it is my greatest hope that this blade will protect the family you will build with Yayoi.

I held out my hands, taking the blade from Yasuo. I'd never used anything longer than a bayonet. As I held it, I began to feel the strong aura of Weird magic that oozed from the blade. But for some reason, it didn't feel strange to touch. Pulling the heaven's cloth, it unraveled. Allowing my arm to manifest as the armored appendage it recently took the form of. Taking the blade by the hilt, I began to absorb the weapon until it disappeared. Then I summoned it once more. This time, it appeared as a black blade with a red guard.

"Very nice," mused Yasuo, "I've heard the expression, 'allow the blade to become a part of you,' but I must admit this is the first I've seen it put into practice. Now come... You must get dressed." He clapped his hands, and out of the walls, a group of women dressed in gray kimonos came in, each carrying something different. One of them carried a chair, which she planted right behind me and forced me to sit in. The others carried combs, brushes, scissors, and other tools and products for my hair. I never cared for how my hair looked before, I made sure to keep it nicely trimmed every once in a while, which I realized I'd been neglecting. But these girls were going the extra mile, trimming it a little shorter about neck level. They combed it back and applied petroleum and beeswax. The care they took to fix up my disheveled hair was better than most barbers.

When they finished, one of the girls held up a mirror, showing me the fruit of their labor. My hair was now slicked back, and my forehead was visible unlike before. I hadn't seen my hair this neat since before it got shaved when I went into basic. "You like yes?" One of the girls asked, her English a little broken. "Yes... Very much so," I answered.

"Oh yes, anything for big sister Yayoi," another chirped, "We make the husband look extra handsome for her." The four of them giggled before. "My apologies. Yayoi's crew has been very excited during this process."

"It's no big deal," I shrugged. "Their friend is getting married." I wondered what Yayoi was up to now. Judith was with her, much like Yasuo was with me. Jude entertained Yayoi with stories of when I was a kid or whatnot. I got embarrassed thinking about it.

While the girls were dressing me, Yasuo explained the plan to me. A couple of days ago, he managed to find out that Armando Juarez was back in Iscariot City. It was for a niece's birthday, and the man's sister would not allow him to miss it. So Yasuo made sure to send every member of the high table an invitation to the wedding, which included the Sin Factors. Now, one would think that Armando would refuse, and that would be the end of it. Yet Armando already missed one gathering at the high table. So if he wanted to maintain his cover, he'd need to attend. Then there was the point of getting Armando to try something. So, on the itinerary, after the ceremony and before the reception, I was to be presented with awards of recognition from the high table. Not only was this to reward me for saving not only two family heads, but it was also to recognize the Murcielagos as a noble family again.

Considering Armando's failure in attempting to destroy my home and the fact that I ruined his assassination attempt. It was time to do things in person. I could tell how much care Yasuo put into this plan. Not only had he made sure to not make security too lax or too tight, but he even planned in case Armando brought back-up in the form of Vampyres. Hence he decided to give me the sword now. By the time the girls were finished dressing me, I had most of the knowledge I needed to face Armando.

Yasuo took me into the courtyard towards the rear of the compound. It was a beautiful place, decorated for the ceremony. There was even one of those shrines built near the rear wall. Yasuo told me all I had to do was follow the priests and Miko with Yayoi, then allow the priest to draw my blood. Once that's done, it will be used in something he called a Sakazuki oath, which will bind our families. If I'd known I'd be drinking Yayoi's blood in front of every Paradigm on the high table, I would've protested. Though since we weren't directly drinking from each other, I guess there wouldn't be too much embarrassment.

As we were walking back to the central building where Yasuo was going to show me the reception. I began to have doubts about all this. There were so many risks in this plan that I wanted to have some assurance that this would work. That even if something goes wrong, this was for something. "So what is the plan if Armando doesn't show his hand?" I asked. "What if he doesn't show up or is way too smart to even try anything?"

"You are a rising star," Yasuo said, "One that Armando's master will want to see snuffed out as quickly as possible. You are the most dangerous person in their plans. Armando has failed twice now, so he will need to get rid of you by any means necessary. But knowing Armando, who wanted to hurt you by killing the residents at Dogland, will want to do it in the most spectacular way possible. He's much like you... His desire for revenge is greater."

"We aren't the same," I snapped. "He's just an animal who kills for sport. I just want those I lost to rest in peace."

Yasuo smiled, then placed a hand on my shoulder as we stopped in the reception area. "I'm proud of you, little brother. Even though you fight monsters, you have yet to become one."

From then on, Yasuo and I talked more about the ceremony, right up until the guests started to arrive. I heard I wouldn't get to see Yayoi until the ceremony began, which was the most traditional thing I could at least recognize. Even though we Paradigms didn't worship God as the Acolytes or Humans. We believed he at least deserved recognition. After all, he's the one who dictated the order of the natural forces on Earth.

As I waited near the compound entrance, I saw many people come in. The Queen was there and shockingly arrived in a conservative black dress. She did smile at me as she passed by with her sister following behind her as well as a pair of men, probably bodyguards. Next, I'd see the Huangs followed by the Barnes family. The Huangs I understood, after all during the time after the Dogland attack, Haoran and Xingying had sent some money to keep me afloat. As for the Barnes family, it was a nice surprise to see them considering how much their family had been going through.

Twenty minutes later, the Andrade family was alive, and as soon as he saw me, Hector opened his big bear arms and squeezed me tight. "Ah, the Vamp killer! It's been a while. I heard what you did to those thugs. Gracias on giving those vermin the what for Pablo." I almost asked who Pablo was, until I remembered Mr. Martinez worked for Hector at some point. "It was the least I could do for the old man," I said. As Hector let me go, he straightened my Haori back up and patted my chest. He then whispered, "I'd like to see you in action today, but I understand if nothing happens." Honestly, now that the hour was on the cusp of arriving, I wished that Armando wouldn't do anything either.

Next to arrive would be my family. Judith and Penny were already here helping Yayoi. Father wore a nice black suit with a gray tie that he didn't look particularly happy with. Beatrix clung to Father, smiling at the other guests as they saw her enter. Thankfully, she didn't wear anything that stood out too much, but it still showed off her figure a little too much. I caught some of the male guests staring on occasion. When I caught her eye, she gave me an unsettling smile. I remembered the last time I saw her and smiled back, hoping the moment would pass. , when Father saw me, his smile was a lot more warm and welcoming.

I'd been looking at everyone finding their way to the ceremony's location when I could feel a strange pain in my chest and a large shadow had been cast over me. When I turned around there was this rather large Hispanic man standing over me. I know I was only five and a half feet, but I didn't think anyone could tower over me that much. His face was clean-shaven, and he'd been bald. His features were pretty unremarkable other than how much of a giant he was and the scar across his cheek. But I recognized this guy from somewhere. I couldn't remember where though. "Alexander Murcielago, right?" The man asked as he examined my features.

"Y-yeah... can I help you?"

"The name is Armando Juarez," he greeted as he extended his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I gotta say I'm a big fan of your work.".

0