Chapter 8: Spells
138 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: Spells

Teacher Turner’s arrival silenced the class as they mentally prepared for the upcoming training.

As he made his way to the front, Teacher Turner’s gaze swept through all the students.

It had only been one day since his students began their training, so he wasn’t expecting anyone to make substantial progress.

In his decades of teaching, the most talented student he encountered had condensed their spirit core on the second day; moreover, it was after the school day was over, so Teacher Turner only found out on the third day.

It took him only a few seconds to scan the class. As his eyes rested on Ain, he paused briefly, and his eyes widened slightly. Due to his stern expression, it appeared as if he was glaring at Ain.

Since the students were still getting accustomed to him, they felt slightly uneasy under their teacher’s gaze. They wondered if they had somehow upset him.

As the students pondered the reasons, Teacher Turner swiftly regained his composure and reached the front of the class.

“It seems everyone has made varying degrees of progress. Remember, as my students, I always take note of your progress from the last time I saw you. I can tell that a few of you didn’t practice after school. I’ll give you another day to fix that.” There was a hint of a warning in his voice as he spoke those last words.

Hearing this, some of the students involuntarily shrank back, attempting to make themselves less conspicuous. It wasn’t hard for Ain to discern who hadn’t practiced from their reactions.

“As I mentioned yesterday, I’ll be covering spells today. Since most of you have yet to condense your spirit cores, you are unable to use spells for now. Nevertheless, you must still pay attention to this material.”

Teacher Turner paused for a moment when he noticed a student raising a hand. He nodded in the student's direction, granting permission to ask a question.

“Teacher, wouldn’t it be better to wait until everyone has condensed their spirit core before we learn spells?”

Hearing this question, several students nodded in agreement.

“I’ve already told the class before. In this year, everyone’s spirit taming talent will become evident. There will be those who progress faster than others.” As he reached this point, Teacher Turner briefly glanced at Ain before continuing.

“We will provide you with guidance and direction. Your job is to follow along.”

“Actually, we don’t have many topics to cover in this class. After I’ve given you some fundamental information about spirit tamers, most of the school year will be spent training under my supervision. This is also your greatest advantage.” After saying that, Teacher Turner paused, allowing the class to digest his words.

Ain, seated among the students, had noticed Teacher Turner’s previous gaze, and he thought, ‘Looks like he knows that I’ve reached Rank-0. It’s no surprise; my control over spirit energy isn’t sufficient to mask it, much less hide it from a higher-ranked spirit tamer.’

In fact, this was a good thing. Ain didn’t want to conceal his progress in the first place.

Soon, Teacher Turner began his lecture on spells, and Ain turned his full attention back to him.

“I’m sure you're aware of spells. Spells are phenomena we induce through the manipulation of spirit energy.”

Teacher Turner extended his palm towards the sky. Tiny particles of light converged, forming a luminous ball that emitted a faint glow.

The students gazed ahead in awe at the radiant sphere of light.

“This is a Rank-0 spell, Illumination. To be specific, it is a Rank-0 core spell.” As he spoke, Teacher Turner withdrew his hand, leaving the orb of light suspended in the air.

“Spells can be classified as core spells and ring spells.”

“Core spells are non-attribute spells. As the name suggests, the foundation of a core spell is your spirit core. Besides comprehending the spell itself, you only need sufficient spirit energy and rank to use core spells.”

“Once you condense your spirit cores and attain Rank-0, you fulfill the requirement to use Illumination, a Rank-0 core spell. Similarly, upon achieving Rank-1, you'll gain the capacity to use Rank-1 core spells.”

“Any questions so far?”

Most students were captivated and shook their heads quickly.

Acknowledging their response, Teacher Turner moved forward.

He flicked his thumb, as if igniting a lighter, and a small burst of flames erupted with a searing aura. It transformed into a compact sphere and hovered above his thumb.

A student across from the fireball flinched at the sight. The surrounding students didn’t mock him; they could feel a scorching sensation on their skin, even from a distance.

Seeing that he achieved the intended reaction, Teacher Turner pressed on.

“This is a Rank-1 spell, Fireball. To be specific, it is a fire-attribute ring spell, commonly referred to as a fire spell.”

“Ring spells each possess an attribute. If you've thoroughly reviewed your meditation technique manual, you'll understand that when you contract a spirit pet, the spirit ring used as a conduit for that contract adopts the attributes of the contracted pet.”

“After branding that spirit ring onto your spirit core, you'll acquire the ability to wield ring spells of the same attribute.”

“This also means there are no Rank-0 ring spells due to the absence of spirit rings at Rank-0.”

“My first spirit pet possesses a fire attribute. Thus, I gained the ability to use fire spells after branding my spirit core.”

“Compared to core spells, there are more prerequisites for casting a ring spell. After comprehending the spell, you'll first need to ensure that you've branded the spirit core with a spirit ring corresponding to the spell's attribute. Then you'll once again require sufficient spirit energy and rank.”

“Both core spells and ring spells are graded in ranks, aligning with a spirit tamer's ranks. With increasing ranks, their effectiveness and potency will also rise.”

“Hence, you must contemplate carefully when choosing your initial spirit pet. Consider all the relevant factors. The same holds true for your meditation technique.”

At this juncture, Teacher Turner concluded his lecture.

“Take a few moments to digest this information. We'll move to the training hall to continue your meditation practice. Once you've successfully condensed your spirit core, I'll distribute the spell book for Illumination. It's known as the simplest core spell, making it quite suitable for novices.”

“And one more thing, Red Oak Spirit Academy will reward all students with two free spells. After contracting your first spirit pet, you'll be entitled to claim a Rank-1 core spell and a ring spell. So work hard, because the sooner you get them, the better.

Concluding his words, Teacher Turner headed toward the training hall.

The students ignited passionate discussions about the spells.

As Ain was about to stand up, he heard a whisper from beside him. “Hey Ain, have you already condensed your spirit core?”

Hugo had, at some point, approached Ain and was gazing at him with admiration.

Ain turned to him with a hint of surprise followed by immediate understanding.

“Your innate talent is pretty handy.” Ain smiled at Hugo, not directly addressing his question.

Astonishment flashed across Hugo’s face before it transformed into a hopeful expression. He continued, “You gotta give me some tips.”

Ain chuckled softly and replied, “Sure, but let's head to the training hall first.”

In their conversation the previous day, Ain had learned about Hugo’s background and innate talent.

Hugo’s financial situation was somewhat better than Ain’s. He was the sole child in a single-parent household, with his father was either working or drunk.

When Hugo awakened successfully, the burden on his shoulders had lightened, and hope had filled his heart. His innate talent wasn't subpar either.

He possessed Sensory Enhancement, a B-rank talent.

Sensory Enhancement could significantly heighten various sensory abilities—vision, hearing, touch, and even spirit energy perception. It could also amplify his contracted pets’ capabilities in this regard.

Similar to Wisdom Root, Sensory Enhancement granted passive augmentation and an active ability.

From Teacher Turner’s cues, gestures, and words, it wasn’t difficult for Hugo to connect the dots.

Ain personally believed that Sensory Enhancement held immense promise.

Though Hugo’s progress in training was only slightly above average, once he honed his fundamental spirit energy control, his sharp perception was bound to boost his training efficiency.

As the students reseated themselves, Ain briefly explained some of his insights about the Basic Meditation Technique and addressed some of Hugo’s inquiries.

Before the formal training session began, Ain concluded his discussion with Hugo and approached Teacher Turner.

Curious gazes followed Ain. Teacher Turner, however, wore a smile as he observed Ain's approach, thinking, ‘This is the right decision.’

As he neared Teacher Turner, Ain stated, “Teacher, I’ve condensed my spirit core and reached Rank-0. I'd like to receive the spell book for Illumination.”

Although Ain’s tone was quiet, it resonated in the hushed training hall. The looks of curiosity on the students’ faces gradually transformed into disbelief.

Only Hugo maintained his smile, wearing an ‘I knew it!’ expression.

10