Chapter 84: The Plan
49 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 84: The Plan

Under the blazing summer sun, Ain shared his plan with the others, meticulously explaining the key points. After nearly ten minutes of discussion and careful consideration, his plan was deemed feasible, prompting the group to prepare for the upcoming battle.

When the preparations were complete, they inched closer to the row of Thornwood Treants, finally laying their eyes on the sight described by Hugo.

Across from them was a large row of Thornwood Treants. There were Advanced Rank-1s at set intervals with Beginner Rank-1s and Intermediate Rank-1s occupying the spaces in between.

Due to the sharp contrast between the density of Thornwood Treants before and what they were witnessing now, a clear demarcated border was outlined in their vision. What they faced before was just a shanty town outside the city. But now, they stood across from the tall city walls, with numerous Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants stationed periodically, acting as sentry towers.

Once approached, there would be three Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants and numerous Intermediate Rank-1s and Beginner Rank-1s targeting them at all times.

The massive storm of Thorn Barrage would turn anyone into a pincushion. Moreover, due to their innate skill, Whispering Grove, Thornwood Treants were unafraid of friendly fire, as this innate skill dispelled friendly attacks while facilitating communication within the grove.

Ain observed the Thornwood Treants for a while before choosing their targets. He used the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants as markers, using three of them to mark out a region for their plan.

Carefully, they approached the one in the middle and stopped at an appropriate distance. “Are you ready?” Ain asked, whispering subconsciously.

Hugo and Paula exhibited hints of nervousness, but it was only natural. After all, they were only Beginner Rank-1 Spirit Tamers. Despite that, they still focused their minds and nodded. Frans also followed along, expressing his readiness. “Good. Cast the shields and follow the plan,” Ain said.

Following Ain’s lead, they all squeezed together, alongside their spirit pets, and cast Shield simultaneously.

Four Shields, radiating a golden glow, manifested in layers in front of the group. At the same time, with a thought from Frans, the Brilliant Fae’s body glowed briefly as it used Light Bulwark, creating a light membrane that served as their final defense.

The group intently stared at the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant straight across from. Seeing no signs of activity, they breathed out in relief.

“Looks like we’re still outside their perception range,” Hugo said.

“Yeah. How nice would it be if their attack range was also this small,” Paula added.

Ain was also glad, but it didn’t affect their plan, and he moved onto the next part. He looked at Nox, who was staring right back, and nodded, “Go.”

Nox’s gaseous body remained still as the two black eyes, resembling black holes, moved up and down vigorously, as if it was nodding. This was Nox’s nodding gesture, which Ain refrained from correcting.

“Lumina, get ready too,” Frans said as he faced his spirit pet. The Brilliant Fae paused for a second before moving its eyes up and down furiously. Seeing this, Frans’ expression turned weird, wondering what was wrong with his spirit pet. These feelings were unconsciously transmitted to the Brilliant Fae, who was shocked and immediately stopped its actions.

It shook its head as if to dispel something before nodding normally. After that, it sneakily glanced around, trying to see if anyone else was paying attention. Realizing that no one witnessed the scene, it sighed in relief internally.

As the group took cover behind the layer of shields, Nox flew out rapidly and approached between two Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants, the one in the middle and the one on its right.

Soon, when Nox entered their perception range, the Thornwood Treants detected the intruder and wickedly swayed their branches and roots. The leaves of the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants even began to emit a green glow, preparing to attack.

Just as they were about to use Thorn Barrage, Nox finally approached close enough and used Hex: Cursed Lullaby.

“Wooooooooooo…” “Wooooooooooo…”

Its haunting voice, only faintly discernible, echoed in the region, invoking a bone-chilling sensation. The two Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants and the numerous weaker ones within range were suddenly overcome with drowsiness as their consciousness struggled to stay awake. Within seconds, they ceased their actions and unwillingly dozed off.

Just as Nox moved out, the Brilliant Fae also sped towards the last of the three Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants. When it was close enough, and before the Thornwood Treants could use Thorn Barrage, it used Blinding Flash, instantly drowning out the senses of all Thornwood Treants nearby.

The two control skills took effect simultaneously, temporarily removing the three Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants, and the numerous weaker ones around them, from the equation. But due to Blinding Flash’s short range, and their distance from Nox, there were over ten Thornwood Treants still remaining.

At that point, both Nox and the Brilliant Fae raced towards the shield as a green radiance covered the branches of the remaining Thornwood Treants. The forest floor sparkled underneath as the lights and shadows danced in tandem.

“Get ready to attack!” Ain shouted while preparing two golden spheres of spirit energy in his palms.

The rest also steeled their focus as they prepared their respective attacks.

Just before the bright green glow peaked, Nox and the Brilliant Fae dove behind the shields. Immediately after, deafening howls resembling a sandstorm resounded, and an uncountable number of green thorns drowned the shields.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Crack! Crack! Crack!

Multiple Thorn Barrages melded together, resulting in a qualitative change. Shield after shield collapsed as the attacks paved a path towards their target. Time seemed to have stagnated as the three seconds seemed to have become hours.

With each cracking sound from the destroyed shields, the group’s hearts leapt out of their chests. Well, this mostly applied to Hugo and Paula. Ain’s gaze remained steady while Frans also seemed unbothered.

Soon, all four Shields collapsed, leaving only the Light Bulwark still standing. When faint cracks began appearing on their final defense as well, the storm of attacks finally stopped. Thorn Barrage was over!

“Now!” Following the shout, Ain immediately dashed out of the Light Bulwark, alongside Nox, while releasing the two Spirit Blasts towards the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant in the middle.

At the same time, Frans cast Spirit Blast, bombarding Ain’s target, as the Brilliant Fae left the shield to complete its mission. Hugo and Paula also used Spirit Blast, as their pets used Air Slash and Vital Blast respectively.

Just as the attacks were released, Hex: Cursed Lullaby stopped affecting the two Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants. But unfortunately for the middle one, before it could regain its bearings, a cluster of attacks greeted it coldly.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

The Thornwood Treant’s bark was peeled away as numerous chunks of wood were ripped out. Its damaged branches fell through the air, accompanied by a rain of leaves. Despite the damage, the Thornwood Treant was still alive.

At this moment, Ain, who had rushed out earlier, appeared in front of this Thornwood Tree, surrounded by a ghastly aura. His hands had morphed into large white claws, and his eyes seemed to devour all the light.

As he was about to attack, Premonition suddenly alerted him to an unexpected attack.

A thick branch, devoid of any leaves, lashed at him horizontally, aiming to force him away.

In a great display of agility, Ain lightly jumped up and used the branch passing underneath as another foothold to bolt forward again.

At the same time, he noted a flash of light from the corner of his right eye. He knew that the Brilliant Fae had used Blinding Flash on the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant on the right, which had also awakened from Hex: Cursed Lullaby.

This was unavoidable. Nox was still at Intermediate Rank-1. It was already impressive for the skill to assert control beyond its rank for so long.

Now, the two Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treants on the sides were under the effects of Blinding Flash, which, due to its nature, was effective for a longer period of time.

Most of the Intermediate and Beginner Rank-1 Thornwood Treants were still controlled by either Nox or the Brilliant Fae. The remaining Thornwood Treats had just used Thorn Barrage and were incapable of launching another long-range attack so soon.

Now, it was a race against time to kill the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant in the middle. But at this stage, the first victory was already within grasp.

While in the air, Ain raised both his claws towards the sky and swung down with ferocity.

Boom! Crack!

Phantom Claws, assisted by Spirit Impact and Invigoration, was Ain’s true strongest attack!

The claws ripped the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant’s already damaged body in half, destroying its vitality and ending its life.

Riding on his momentum, he stomped on the toppling trunk and leapt towards a nearby Intermediate Rank-1 Thornwood Treant and killed it in one strike. There was a silent countdown in Ain’s head, as he shouted, “Right one!”

Frans, Hugo, and Paula instantly understood. They left the Light Bulwark and moved a little closer before attacking the Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant on the right.

“Limit Break!” Frans didn’t hold back and used his innate talent, boosting the Brilliant Fae’s abilities to Advanced Rank-1. With a radiant glow, the Brilliant Fae’s power surged, reaching beyond its rank.

The Brilliant Fae was already close to the target after using Blinding Flash. It didn’t dare to move closer, as it held the risk of triggering a fourth Advanced Rank-1 Thornwood Treant outside their region of focus in this plan.

It received Frans' instructions and opened its tiny mouth before releasing a surging torrent of light that beamed towards the enemy. Hugo and Paula released their attacks a little earlier, but the thick beam of light still struck first.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

More loud explosions reverberated in the forest.

Read 1 chapter ahead on Patreon for FREE!

You can support me on Patreon to read up to 16 chapters ahead and access some bonus content!

patreon.com/ForsakenHaven

6