Chapter 93: Ransacked!
49 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 93: Ransacked!

With the arrival of evening, Ain finally returned home after the eventful trip. He’d stumbled upon a sacred treasure like the Vital Harmony Spring, and his heart raced in anticipation of consuming it.

Turning his wrist, Ain opened the door with suppressed impatience and stepped inside. His apartment was as compact as others in the building. A small entryway led to the living room with an attached kitchen, followed by a bathroom and his bedroom, which supported the sole window in his home.

Although the night had yet to fully descend, the entryway and living room were pitch black, offering no visibility. Typically, the cat would have turned on the lights at this time, brightening up his apartment. However, today was an exception.

The hallway lights behind him partially illuminated his entryway, revealing a scene that furrowed Ain's brows and heightened his vigilance. His shoe cabinet, which held two extra pairs of shoes, lay on its side, devoid of its contents. The cheap rug from the entryway was tossed onto the cabinet, creating a chaotic sight.

Ain glanced around the hallway outside but noticed nothing amiss. His frown deepened as foreboding sensations tightened their grip on his heart. Since Premonition didn't react, Ain finally switched on the lights and ventured further inside.

What he saw immediately darkened his expression.

His apartment had been ransacked!

The chair was broken and in pieces. His kitchen utensils were strewn across the floor, and his food and condiments shared a similar fate. The table was in even worse condition, transformed into scrap wood, barely recognizable.

Ain's mind raced, and his footsteps quickened. Anxiety had gripped his heart and showed no signs of leaving. He hurriedly searched his apartment, disregarding his torn clothes and missing alchemy instruments. However, when he reached the empty cage, his heart nearly leaped from his chest.

The pups were missing!

While the cat could venture outside through the perpetually open window, the pups couldn't follow the same path. Connecting the dots was easy for Ain, considering the state of his apartment. It had been broken into, and his pups had been abducted!

Ain stared at the empty cage and then at the open window in his room. His eyes conveyed a mix of anxiety and anger. He couldn't remember the last time he had felt the latter. He searched for any clues around his apartment before contacting the security guard at the building's entrance.

Soon, the security guard arrived with a hurried pace. However, it wasn't Mr. Rudy, whom Ain was most familiar with. Upon arriving and witnessing the state of Ain's apartment, the security guard's expression turned grim.

"What happened?" the security guard inquired gravely.

Hearing the question, Ain retorted in an unnaturally sharp tone, "I want to ask you the same."

The security guard frowned but refrained from voicing his dissatisfaction with Ain's sarcastic response. He knew Ain was a spirit tamer, and although the law protected mortals like him, there was still an underlying unease and a reluctance to take chances.

Ain had no intention of intimidating the security guard, but his restlessness was hard to ignore. He took a deep breath to calm himself and explained how he had discovered the scene. Judging by the security guard's reaction, Ain could already tell that he wouldn't be of much help.

After Ain finished his explanation, the security guard left to review the recent surveillance footage. Ten minutes later, he returned with an uneasy expression and conveyed his findings. Or rather, the lack thereof.

There were no suspicious individuals entering or exiting the building, according to the surveillance cameras. The cameras in the hallway failed to detect anyone entering Ain's apartment either.

Ain's gaze returned to the open window, where he had noticed dirt on the windowsill earlier. The security guard followed Ain's gaze and spotted the clues. He looked nervously at Ain before stating, "I don't think a regular person could have climbed in through that window."

Ain glanced at the uneasy security guard and sighed internally. "I know. Thank you for your assistance."

How could he not comprehend the security guard's insinuation? He had already reached the same conclusion. This was the work of a spirit tamer.

The security guard breathed a sigh of relief when Ain dismissed him and left after taking a few notes for his report. Since the incident involved spirit tamers, it was beyond his capabilities, but he was obligated to report to his supervisor.

Watching the security guard's departure, Ain's frown returned as he quickly exited the building. After a brief hoverbus ride, he arrived at a dark gray building—the local Law Enforcement Agency.

Ain's primary concern was the safety of his cat and pups. He cared for them more than most things in his life, and right now, he felt as if a piece of himself had been ripped away, leaving him incomplete and in pain.

Upon entering and explaining the reason for his visit, Ain was directed to the reports desk. In the main lobby, he spotted a familiar face with dark-red hair that resembled a lion's mane, seated near the reports desk. The man was engaged in conversation with a handsome officer who wore glasses and stood beside him.

"Lieutenant Elric Hyfer," the name flashed in Ain's mind. He had recently learned this name from Frans when they discussed the tavern incident. Ain gave him a cursory glance but didn't dwell on it at the moment, as he was preoccupied with his own concerns. He promptly ignored the presence of the lieutenant and proceeded to the reports desk.

"Hello, what would you like to report?" the female officer behind the desk asked.

"I want to report a break-in. My spirit beasts and belongings were stolen," Ain explained briefly.

The female officer raised an eyebrow, acknowledging Ain's identity as a spirit tamer. It was a crucial factor in her response. She asked for more details while recording his account on a holographic screen.

Once he finished, the female officer spoke politely, "Thank you for your report, Mr. Weisman. We will investigate this matter promptly and update you on the outcome."

Ain wore a displeased frown, disliking the response he received. The officer's tone remained steady, almost dismissive. Concerned for the little ones, he couldn't help but press on, "How long will the investigation take?"

"As this is a non-emergency report, I cannot accurately estimate the time. However, rest assured, we will investigate as soon as we can," the officer replied courteously, but her tone remained unchanged. For Ain, these words held no real substance.

Ain fell silent for a moment before making another request. "Then, can I please view the surveillance footage near my apartment building? We can start by identifying the culprit. Even if the intruder entered through the window, they couldn't have avoided all the cameras, especially those in the park."

"Kid, you're from this year's new batch of spirit tamers, right?" Just as the female officer was about to respond, a voice interrupted from the side. Ain turned to look at the source, Lieutenant Elric Hyfer.

Previously, Ain had only glimpsed at him before focusing on the reports desk. But during that brief encounter, he had noticed that Lieutenant Hyfer seemed to be injured. Recalling Frans' words, Ain suddenly realized. The Order of Blood Origin had attacked Lieutenant Hyfer, believing him to be in possession of the book they were searching for.

Recognizing that this man had taken the blame for him, Ain's eyes flickered with an unusual expression before he quickly concealed it. He narrowed his eyes slightly and asked, "What do you mean?"

"From your account, it seems that the culprit is a spirit tamer. We generally don't intervene in disputes between spirit tamers unless there are casualties or a serious issue involved. Additionally, with the Order of Blood Origin causing chaos throughout the city, it's even less likely for us to help," Lieutenant Hyfer explained, leaning back in his chair. "As a spirit tamer, you'll need to handle your business personally. Don't expect us to babysit you."

Lieutenant Hyfer's words deepened Ain's sense of unease as he gazed at him intently. Frans' words echoed in his mind, "I've heard that the Order lost an important book during that battle, and they've been searching for it ever since.”

Ain's thoughts churned, and within a few moments, a simple plan took shape in his mind. "So the Law Enforcement Agency is primarily focused on the Order of Blood Origin?" he asked Lieutenant Hyfer.

Elric raised an eyebrow, noticing a shift in Ain's demeanor. The previous discontent and hints of anger had given way to sudden sharpness, akin to a blade. He scrutinized Ain for a moment and responded, "Yes, they've been causing even more trouble lately. Even a few students like you have met unfortunate fates at their hands."

"I heard that the Order has been searching for a specific book recently," Ain continued.

"That's correct," Elric replied, narrowing his yellow eyes. A momentary pressure descended and then dissipated, much like morning fog. He had recently been attacked by powerful spirit tamers and nearly lost his life due to that book. His injuries couldn't be healed quickly.

At this point, Ain paused, as if considering whether to continue or not. After a few seconds, he met Elric's gaze again and stated, "I was at the Chamber of Drunks during that incident. I may have a lead on the book they're searching for."

patreon.com/SkyLimitless

6