Chapter 96: The Cat
76 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 96: The Cat

Gavric Sorn's thin face supported an ingratiating smile while politely gesturing at the sofas. "Dear envoys, welcome to Viper Beast Provisions. Please make yourselves comfortable."

Among the three cloaked envoys, a silver-masked envoy in the lead said, "No need for that. Let's keep it brief." The envoy's voice was distorted, an unpleasant amalgamation of overlapping pitches concealing their true voice.

"Of course, of course. I won't dare waste your time," Gavric Sorn hurriedly corrected before retrieving a storage ring from his pockets. He respectfully offered the storage ring to the silver-masked envoy using two hands while saying, "We haven't let you down. All the items you requested are within."

The silver-masked envoy received the storage ring with a gloved hand and began investigating its content. The members of Viper Beast Provisions stood with their gazes lowered, revealing respectful expressions. Ain even observed hints of eagerness and hope in their demeanor.

At this moment, Sergeant Lunabrooke's voice transmission appeared in his mind, "They're from the Order of Blood Origin. Stay hidden and don't alert them. This might become an unexpected harvest."

"They're from the Order of Blood Origin? Is this theft related to the assassination attempt yesterday?" Ain's mind jolted at Sergeant Lunabrooke's revelation. With such conspicuous attire and behavior, one of his speculations admittedly pointed at the Order, but Sergeant Lunabrooke's confirmation was still shocking. Was revenge really the motive for Viper Beast Provisions' targeting? Or was it connected to his excellent performance at Red Oak Spirit Academy?

As Ain's thoughts raced, the silver-masked envoy's divine sense withdrew from the storage ring as their discordant voice sounded, "There're no mistakes this time. It'd better stay like this from now on."

"It was my oversight last time; I won't let it happen again." Along with his words, Gavric Sorn's posture became increasingly subservient, afraid of a previous mistake affecting his desired outcome. After all, he'd forgone his pride and morality for this opportunity.

Silence returned to the hall after Gavric Sorn's fawning statement. The Viper Beast Provisions' members silently exchanged glances before focusing their gazes on Gavric Sorn's unnaturally hunched back. They hoped that their boss would fulfill his promise. Maybe because he sensed his subordinates' piercing stares, Gavric Sorn mustered up some courage and started, "Dear envoys, about the Bone Origin Cauldron..."

The silver-masked envoy remained silent before responding, "You've completed enough tasks and offerings. Prepare the location and gather all the ingredients; we'll send over an artificer to craft the Origin Bone Cauldron soon."

Hearing this, Gavric Sorn's eyes lit up as he responded hastily, "Of course, of course. I promise that our preparations will be satisfactory. My sincerest gratitude!"

"Our sincerest gratitude!" The subordinates behind Gavric Sorn echoed their boss, their eyes filled with eagerness and desire. With the Origin Bone Cauldron, they could finally begin extracting Blood Essence and trade them with the Order of Blood Origin for the Blood Potential Potion.

"An artificer? Looks like the harvest will be greater than I expected," Sergeant Luna mused while recording the unfolding events with his hololink. In fact, Ain's hololink was similarly active, recording the scene. Sergeant Lunabrooke had witnessed Viper Beast Provisions' collusion with the Order alongside him. Ain was no longer concerned about the aftermath and only hoped to rescue the little ones.

Once Gavric Sorn's pre-arranged chanting dissipated, the silver-masked envoy took the initiative to discuss the details regarding the Origin Bone Cauldron and began assigning new tasks.

While this happened, a black-masked envoy turned to one of the Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamers beside Gavric Sorn and asked with an altered voice, "Did you complete my task?"

The Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer responded hurriedly, "Yes! We finished it this morning." He said so while casting a quick glance at one of his colleagues, who immediately understood the signal and rushed into one of the side doors alongside two others.

In less than a minute, the door opened once again, accompanied by some distinct sounds.

"Woof! Woof!"

"Woof! Woof!"

Hearing the familiar sound, Ain's eyes instantly snapped to the door. He saw one of the spirit tamers stepping back into the hall carrying two black-and-white Voltic Wolf cubs in each hand. The wolf cubs were struggling and barking with all their might, attempting to bite the hand grabbing their necks.

Right behind them was another spirit tamer, carrying a frost-white cat by the neck. The cat showed no signs of struggle, but Ain recognized the dissatisfaction in its eyes.

It was the little ones!

Ain subconsciously clenched his fists as joy and anger, like fire and water, intermingled within his heart. His worst fears hadn't manifested as the little ones were still safe. However, his heart burned upon witnessing their plight. He'd never seen the cat and pups this distraught and unhappy.

Sergeant Lunabrooke also glanced at the scene, inwardly relieved. A good ending seemed probable now.

The sudden clamor distracted Gavric Sorn and the silver-masked envoy momentarily before they ignored it. The black-masked envoy glanced over and asked, "What's this?"

"Two Voltic Wolf pups and a Jasper Cat. Other than these, there were only some alchemy instruments," the Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer answered, pointing out the alchemy instruments carried by the final spirit tamer emerging from the door.

"Alchemy? Heh." A scornful remark sounded as the black-masked envoy grabbed the cat by the scruff and looked into its eyes mockingly, "Did you say goodbye to your owner?"

The helpless cat silently stared at the black-masked envoy.

"Hehe, it probably doesn't understand you," the third envoy with a blue mask snickered as he trotted over.

The Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer, misinterpreting the intent behind the black-masked envoy's question, proposed, "We can take care of that kid too. We actually have a grudge against him as well."

The black-masked envoy looked over in amusement, saying, "You've already missed the chance. Unfortunately, his pets won't have the chance to say goodbye either."

Realization stuck the Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer a moment later, "Oh, I see!"

The blue-masked envoy, ignoring the Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer, repeatedly flicked the pups' foreheads while saying creepily, "You guys deal in spirit beast materials, right? Is that how you're gonna deal with 'em?"

The Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer glanced at the black-masked envoy for affirmation. The black-masked envoy noticed it and ridiculed, "I didn't expect his things to be so worthless. You ca-"

Before the black-masked envoy could finish their words, the cat's voice suddenly interrupted, "Meow!"

This interjection caused the bunch to glance down at the cat. They noticed its eyes locked onto the blue-masked envoy's hands that repeatedly flicked the struggling pups.

Flick! Flick!

"Woof! Woof!"

"Woof! Woof!"

The agitated pups' figures were clearly reflected in the cat's eyes.

"MEOW!!"

Without warning, the cat suddenly screeched and clawed at the hand holding it by the scruff.

Rip!

Its claw swiped past the gloved hand, tearing out pieces of fabric.

"Damn!" Startled, the black-masked envoy subconsciously released the cat, granting it its desired freedom. It landed on all four paws agilely and turned toward the blue-masked envoy.

Just as the cat pushed off its hind legs and was about to pounce on the blue-masked envoy, a swift kick suddenly connected with its body. "MEO-"

Bang!

Crash!

The cat's body flew back from the impact and fiercely collided against the wall like a large projectile.

"Damn it! It actually attacked me! Aren't Fair Spirit Beasts not supposed to attack humans?"

"Woof! Woof! Awooo!"

"Woof! Woof! Awooo!"

The pups barked and howled at the sight, their struggle to escape their captor intensifying.

"Hahaha, what Fair Spirit Beasts? It's still a spirit beast in the end." The blue-masked envoy laughed while clutching his stomach, forgetting to flick the pups. Due to the voice alteration, the laugh was piercing and unsettling, arousing a sense of nausea in the listeners.

The black-masked envoy glanced past the ripped glove, where his storage ring was visible, before turning to glare at his laughing companion. The others remained silent, afraid to upset the envoys. Moreover, they couldn't fathom the comedy that impelled the blue-masked envoy's jarring laughter.

Just as they assumed the laughter would continue, it abruptly came to a halt. Viper Beast Provisions' members noticed the two envoys turning toward the silver-masked envoy, who was glancing in their direction. The two envoys nodded, as if acknowledging some telepathic instructions, before briskly walking over.

The discussion between Gavric Sorn and the silver-masked envoy had already concluded.

Seeing the two envoys walking away, the Beginner Rank-2 Spirit Tamer suddenly asked, "What should we do with them?"

"I don't care," the black-masked envoy responded, still irritated by the minor mishap. The Rank-0 Jasper Cat was promptly ignored by the group.

After the three envoys gathered, Gavric Sorn revealed the same ingratiating smile and said, "Dear envoys, I'll personally show you out."

The silver-masked envoy nodded silently, allowing Gavric Sorn to lead the way, exiting through the door they'd initially entered from. When the door finally closed, the remaining members of Viper Beast Provisions sighed in relief, their expressions relaxing.

"Whew. It's hard to carry that expression for so long. I don't know how the boss does it."

"That's why he's the boss, not you."

"Hey, what are you gonna do with the Voltic Wolf cubs?"

"Sell them. They're worth more that way. Even these alchemy instruments can fetch a decent price."

"What about the cat? Should we treat it? It's injured pretty badly."

"Meh, it's just a Jasper Cat. Leave it alone."

"Awooo!"

"Awooo!"

The Viper Beast Provisions' members began leaving while conversing light-heartedly. The pups howled at the injured cat as they were carried to the previous side door.

Throughout the meeting, no one was aware of the two extra heads in the hall.

Ain stood rooted where he was previously, gritting his teeth while his nails dug into his palm. His eyes were the color of blood and fire. Inside his spirit ring, Nox seemed to be boiling in horrid rage, unlike ever before.

Their vision was focused on the cat, lying limply against the wall. One of its hind legs was bent unnaturally as a sharp bone pierced through its flesh, visible to the naked eye. Blood congregated near its open mouth, flowing a chilling stream. Its frost-white fur was dyed red by the blood, making for a horrific sight.

Ain's body visibly shivered in pain and anger, but his feet still stood rooted to the ground. He’d wished to act long ago, but Sergeant Lunabrooke's mighty hand had clasped him down!

patreon.com/SkyLimitless

4