Chapter 15: Spirit (2)
502 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at Verdi's back while she walked away, my cheeks felt hot and I blushed when I realized that she kissed me. This otherworldly beauty, who was only described to be a mythical existence in my previous world, was surprising indeed. I wonder if elves in this world are different from the elves that I have read from books. While everyone was lost in their own thoughts a sudden question was asked by someone.

"Mother, what does she mean by Max having a spirit beside him?" mother asked this question towards my grandmother. The people around were awoken by the question and looked at my grandmother too.

"Anna, you know that elves are highly sensitive to the environment which is why they are more superior to humans when it comes to magic. They can also forego incantations and spells with the assistant of spirits. Spirits can serve as catalysts that can influence the mana around us. This is usually, something that elves who are close to nature develop as they have been living in an environment that is filled with the spirit of the earth. However, there are different spirits depending on the elements, and they are all around us. Being able to be acknowledged by spirits is said to be as difficult as becoming a legendary mage from the books of old. No one knows the process on how to be acknowledged by a spirit, however, spirits can feel the intent and feelings of people. You cannot hide your thoughts from them, so they can identify people who are trying to harm them or use them." My grandmother then looked at me as she said this information. The people around also looked at me, as they saw my grandmother looking curiously at me.

"Now there are different levels of spirits and their power to assist the magician. However, spirits that were able to materialize forms are considered higher leveled beings in this world." Grandmother pointed at Lumi who was sitting on my shoulder. Lumi then tilted her head and acted cutely while moving her legs.

"So does that mean Max was acknowledged by the spirit of the light element?" Ruby then asked.

"Yes, that seems to be the case. Verdi has acknowledged that fact as she was able to see Max's spirit Lumi. I was only able to feel the presence of the spirit however elves have better senses than us, so we might feel them but cannot see them. It was also said, that unless said spirits show themselves, they prefer to be immaterial beings who roam around us." Grandmother said to everyone. It seems some people are not even aware of the existence of spirits. It is only high leveled people who have this knowledge as the normal books do not hold this information.

"I can't believe that, that Verdi made a pact. This is huge, and she acknowledges Max as a friend to the elves, for their entire race." Leonis said while holding his chin as if pondering something.

"Why is it that important grandmother?" I asked my grandmother as it was something that has been bothering and making me curious of her actions.

"Max, elves have been very secretive and reserved when it comes to humankind. It was not always that way as elves are a sociable race since the beginning of time. They are hospitable to the lost travelers in the forest while they accommodate them in their homes. However, human greed has changed everything. As you can see, elves are beauties that can cause a city's downfall. The elves have been persecuted, hunted and collected, once word spread out of how this kind natured race is more beautiful than gems. They have been hunted to be made as slaves and to be added as a beauty for their collection. There are a lot of nobles who do this secretly, they have been doing this for decades. The worst came about when humans discovered an elixir that was able to lengthen one's life. This elixir is produced near the tree of life, the water that surrounds the tree of life, it takes a lot of time for it to become an elixir that extends one's life. Since then elves prefer their solemn life away from the prying eyes of humanity." Grandmother said this with a sad look in her eyes as if reminiscing something.

My grandmother looked at me, hesitated for a bit before she said, "Max elves live long lives, although they all look young they might have lived for centuries." I wanted to rebut and say something, however, I just could not seem to find the appropriate words to defend myself as I was only 5 years old.

Ruby giggled while she said, "What's wrong with a child having a crush on an elf. We have all been there, now it's a different matter if they reciprocate that affection. You should be proud that your grandchild has such fine taste in women." She winked at me when she said this. It was better for them to think of me having a crush on Verdi rather than me explaining something to them, which made me feel more relieved.

It seems it does not matter where you are but human greed can cause destruction everywhere. The honest and hospitable nature of the elves had turned their lives into a mess. Their kindness turned into animosity as these corrupt and opportunistic people became demons in their eyes. Now they prefer to live quietly on the outskirts of the forests, well hidden and protected from the greedy humans.

The two great mages left the room after some pleasant words and congratulations towards grandmother. It seems like the other tests were not required when they found out about Lumi. Mine and Lumi's potential seemed limitless, as we both can grow stronger together by diligently practicing and meditating.

3