CHAPTER 1 – THE FINAL RACE
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 1 – THE CHAMPIONSHIP RACE

         The sound of banging and crunching metal could be heard everywhere around the track at Banger Blitz Raceway. The track was littered with debris and even broken cars. Some cars sat immobilized while others burned from collisions.

The wrecked cars made it a challenge for the remaining drivers at the halfway point of the final Banzai Bangers derby race. Three drivers were dueling it out for the lead. Johnny, who was Banzai Bangers best, held the lead from his main rival, Brandon. Brandon was pursuing Johnny in second. Who was followed by Johnny’s younger teammate Terry in third.

The crowd was going wild with every shunt and hit from either Johnny or Brandon. Brandon was a fan favorite for the carnage he would unleash, unlike Johnny. The man would rack up points by causing horrific crashes. Some that would cripple drivers or claim their lives. He had made a rap sheet a mile long of drivers who wanted him dead.

Johnny on the other hand was loved by fans for his talent. His early years started small scale with contact racing after he was discharged from the special forces after a mishap that gained him fame. 

He eventually landed a ride in Banzai Bangers. He was a veteran in the sport having 10 years of racing experience in the series. He by far was the oldest of the drivers at 45. Johnny had many wins and championships under his belt. He would rack up points by winning and taking top spots in events.

Johnny’s popularity with the other drivers was high. Especially the ones he helped recover after horrific crashes. He used his own winnings to help those get back on their feet. If they couldn't continue, he had set up a charity fund to help those recover from the physical and mental trauma. This made him less of a target from other drivers.

Johnny had managed to gain enough wins and fame that sponsors were pouring everything into him for the best rides and equipment. His main sponsor was D.R.I.F.T. Department of Racing, Information, Formation, and Technology. When a new part needs testing, they have Johnny test it out, to test to see how it holds up; at times even costing him the race or win.

Banzai Bangers had to be the most satanic racing sport in the world in Johnny's and many other people's opinion. If people wanted to see death and destruction this was the place. They had rules for how cars were built and conducted off track. 

However, there were no rules for racing on the track. Drivers could do any dirty trick they wanted while racing with no caution flags or red flags for a crash or fire. Anyone was at risk of death in every race. 

The series had a total of 30 events in every championship season. It had eight demo derbies, while the rest were banger racing.

If someone wanted to enter Banzai Bangers. They needed to prove their worth. Even if the driver was talented. A driver had to live long enough to even think of getting good sponsorship. That is if they even lasted an entire season. Drivers would be paid after each race from their contracts. Most drivers were part-timers fearing for their lives in each event.

I swear one of these days he is going to end up with one of us dead. Johnny thought with a groan as gripped his wheel after hitting the wall. 

Brandon had given him a bump entering a turn sending him hard into the wall. Johnny was groaning after the hit but continued. He managed to catch back up to Brandon and Terry. His car was built for durability and speed.

Johnny and Brandon both continued to trade blows back and forth as the laps wind down. The racing continued the same. Johnny was getting rammed by Brandon until Johnny had finally had enough of his shenanigans in the race

It is about time I gave the crowd a show.

With two laps to go Johnny drove in for the first turn at high speed. He was going to psych out Brandon. Brandon followed Johnny hoping to use his momentum to slam Johnny hard. 

Johnny, for his part, slowed down before he made the turn right as Brandon caught up. Johnny let Brandon onto his bumper. He then hit the accelerator and yanked hard right. 

Brandon was too busy paying attention to Johnny swerving to the right. He didn’t see a disabled vehicle until it was too late. 

Brandon plowed into the wrecked vehicle and sent him careening into another. Brandon’s car was crippled but still going. The crowd roared with excitement from the crash.

Johnny and Terry both pulled away with a one-two victory. While Brandon finished fifth a lap down. 

Brandon had tried every event in Baznai Bangers to kill or end Johnny's racing career. There were special events Brandon had chances to finish Johnny off. However, Brandon wanted to end him in a race.

Brandon had gotten out of his car to confront Johnny as he was getting ready to celebrate. “One of the days I hope you die Johnny. I still blame you for what happened to Charles.” Brandon said with a sneer, not before giving Johnny a shove. 

Brandon then walked away after that. Johnny was relieved Brandon only shoved him. There had been times where the shoving had turned into full blown fists fights.  

“Such a spoilsport. It isn't my fault Charles continued racing that day. He knew the risks with his battered car.” Johnny muttered under his breath.

Johnny was just glad the race was over. He had won another championship. He let out a sigh of relief that he had lived through another grueling season of Banzai Bangers. 

Now he could focus on looking for another opportunity. The racing was getting old for him. He was getting annoyed with no one to race against with his skill level.

Johnny went to take the checkered flag for his last victory. Holding a fake smile as he waved to the crowd who cheered for him. 

He used to have fun with his celebrations, but now with so many wins. It just became a repeat that made him pretend he was having fun. He started to lose interest halfway into his tenth racing season. By this point no one was really a challenge for him. He decided to make the best of his victory celebration, since this was going to be his last for the foreseeable future.

Johnny got back into his car. Which was a ford crown Victoria. He did a burnout for the cheering crowd. He was putting down a lot of rubber as the wheels spun, kicking up smoke as he kept at it. He heard the crowd cheering and saying his name as he kept up the display. “Johnny, Johnny, Johnny.” The crowd kept chanting. 

Johnny kept up the burnout for a few minutes before his rear tires shredded to pieces from the burnout. With his tires now completely shredded. He drove his way to victory lane. His car was dinged and dented with hits from opponents throughout the race that day. The remains of the tires eventually tore apart. His car was now leaving a trail of sparks. Driving on bare rims. One tire tore the rear bumper off the car as he went. The rear fender was already loose to begin with. 

Johnny watched in the rearview mirror as a few fans fought over the bumper. He laughed at the sight as he pulled into victory lane. 

Johnny usually never really stuck around long in victory lane. He would stay to sign autographs and chat with fans before calling it a day.

Since this was the championship race. Second and third would join up for the celebration in as well.

Brandon had scored second. He didn't show up to claim his trophy until after Johnny had left.

Third place ended up having a tie between two competitors. Brent Atwood and Connor Martin.

Johnny got out of his car as he made his way up to the podium. He was stopped by both Brent and Connor.

 “Always a pleasure to race win you Johnny.” Connor said, shaking his hand as he went to claim third. 

“The sport won't be the same without you Johnny. Goodluck with your retirement.” Brent congratulated him as he followed Connor.

Johnny watched as the duo walked away. Glad to see I am still popular amongst other drivers. 

Johnny focused back on the crowd smiling as held the first place trophy. His golden hair glowed against the setting sun while he posed with the trophy. He had let it grow out to hide a scar under his forehead. He didn’t like that little blemish on his head even though it was faint. He had gotten it during his feuds with Brandon.

 “Another win with another championship. I’ve won so much, I’ve stopped counting after my 175th win.” Johnny sighed, still smiling for the crowd. 

Photographers began to take his photo as he stood there, while confetti cannons fired off in the background. 

 “Look over here Johnny.” One photographer cried out. Johnny did his best for the photographers as he adjusted his head for them to see his green eyes staring at them. He smiled with a toothy grin. Fans and his crew began cheering for him in victory lane. 

Johnny scanned the crowd waiting for Billy next. The cameraman always loved to give Johnny’s post-race interviews. Johnny liked the man because he never got to personal about Johnny’s life.  “Ready for your post-race interview, Johnny "the invincible" Victoris?” The man asked. 

“Yeah, I’m ready, but please don’t call me by my full name. Johnny is just fine.” He replied with a sigh.

“I’m going to miss you very much after this year, Johnny.” Billy said with a sad smile.

“I’m honestly just getting tired of being the best. I want to try other things.” Johnny said with a tired expression, then shrugged.

Johnny quickly turned his expression around as others were now watching him. He turned to face the camera.Billy got the camera ready to interview Johnny.

 “By the way Johnny, this is your 220th win in Banzai Bangers if you lost count.” He was giving Johnny a signal when he would go live. 

Billy really keeps up with my racing wins. I gave up on keeping track years ago. Johnny thought to himself.

Johnny made his statements swift, quick, and professional. “I’d like to thank D.R.I.F.T. for sponsoring me. I’m always willing to try out new racing technology for Banzai Bangers and the racing community.” He said before changing his tone. While facing the crowd.

"Now I'd like to have a minute of silence for those who have lost their lives or were injured today." Johnny said in a sympathetic tone. After a minute of silence he spoke up again.

"For the injured racers, I'll be donating from my winnings to help with their recovery." He finally finished.

Johnny then continued talking for a few more minutes as he also answered questions. The celebration lasted longer than he expected.

A few hours later Johnny had made it back to his racing trailer. He was worried about crazy fans trying to break in or rivals trying to kill him. Over the years Banzai Bangers had issues with crazy fans or desperate rivals. His trailer was decked out with fancy security. His trailer was almost indestructible from attacks. It helped him to have D.R.I.F.T. as his main sponsor. They wanted to keep their lead asset alive from harm. Johnny's trailer got the best security features money could buy. 

Johnny was tired and exhausted when he walked in. He let out a long yawn. It had been a long day. Knowing he could have died. He looked over at the trophy wall in his trailer of the most valuable trophies. It is nice to have such success. I just wish I could do something more with my racing career. Thought Johnny as he walked over to sit down in a comfy leather recliner. Right now, all he wanted to do was sleep. He was exhausted from the day. Tomorrow, he planned to look to find other racing endeavors. Right after he would attend a retirement for him and his team.

Johnny eventually dozed off, but was woken up by a phone call from his cell phone. Johnny answered it tiredly. “Hello, this is Johnny.” He said with a yawn.

“Hello Johnny, this is Joseph from the testing and marketing department of D.R.I.F.T. How are you doing?” Asked Joseph,

“I’m fine.” Yawned Johnny.

“I’m sad you have decided to quit Banzai Bangers after this year. I was hoping to persuade you to take part in a test session at least. Banzai Bangers is wanting to test for a virtual market. Where we send drivers into a virtual test track in a real racing vehicle. Right now, we are having a hard time finding a test pilot. How would you like to be the test driver?” Asked Joseph.

Johnny was uncertain about the deal. He was currently out of his mind from being tired. “Can I think of it in the morning? I’m mentally exhausted.” Johnny yawned again.

“Sure, I’ll call you back in the morning.” Replied Joseph with a sigh as Johnny ended the call. Johnny dozed back off to sleep.

Johnny dreamed that night he was racing as a stunt driver. He had taken a gig as a stunt derby driver. During his time at Banzai Bangers Johnny was called on during the weekdays or off season to perform some stunts in movies. This only added more to his fame in titles such as Days of Destruction and The Fast and Destructive franchise.

The scene he dreamed in particular that night wasn’t a hard stunt. Other attempts ended up with destroyed cars or injured stunt drivers.The director for the movie wanted to get it all in one shot. The stunt had him driving an armored truck. That had him smash into a bunch of police cars. Followed by him driving up a ramp that would have the truck get clipped by a freight train. The truck would roll over and back onto its wheels. This is where the movie was having most of the stunt problems where the truck would crash or lose control. This is why he had been called in to fill the stunt. Johnny would then drive the truck onto a small ramp to help the truck go onto two wheels. The last part had Johnny driving past a blast of electricity. That's where he would stop the truck.

Johnny was given the signal to start up to speed for the stunt. The truck was given nitros boosters to help it get up to speed faster. He activated the boosters as he was about a 100 yards away. Johnny plied into the police cars, barriers, and all. Explosions from pyrotechnics went off as he rammed into the police cars. He then acted in phase two of the stunt. 

Johnny hit the second set of nitro boosters as he hit the ramp. He managed to time it just right by getting clipped by the train. This made the truck roll over and go onto all fours. 

This part had just a single engine of a freight train clipping the truck. The rest of the train would be CGI into the scene. There were more effects to the scene with electrical surges and more pyrotechnic explosions going off as Johnny drove on.

He engaged in the final part of the stunt as he ran over a small ramp sending the truck up onto two wheels. He could see the electrical effects being turned on as he headed for the stopping point. He was hit by a giant blast of electricity. Johnny straightened the truck onto all fours while his eyes adjusted from the light.

When his eyes recovered. Johnny was lost for words. He was still in the armored truck. Although it had shut off. He was no longer in the studio either. Instead he found himself in a very dark place. There were no lights to be seen anywhere. The surrounding landscape was dead and barren. It was dotted with rotting trees and crumpling structures. Behind him he could see a portal of some sorts that he assumed was how he had gotten there. He slowly tried to get the truck restarted as he looked around. 

Johnny had a confused expression on his face as he looked off over the horizon. Just then the ground began to shake as the world he was on began to fall apart. Across the distance horizon he could see the land being snuffed out by a tsunami of darkness. He looked back at the portal as it began to fade from existence.

He tried to fire up the truck with no avail as the impending void crept nearer. He desperately kept turning the ignition, hoping it would restart. It finally fired to life. The truck went into gear. He sighed with relief only to be met with terror a few seconds later.

Johnny had no control over the truck. It seemed to have a mind of its own. He had tried to turn around only for the truck to drive on its own. It headed straight for the tsunami of darkness. Johnny had tried everything he could to stop the truck. Taking the key out of the ignition. Hitting the brakes. Each attempt made the truck go faster. 

He then tried to bail out of the truck. Unfortunately, the truck made sure Johnny couldn’t escape. He had tried to get the seatbelt undone. Only for the truck to tighten the belt so hard he was being suffocated. Even trying to open the door was futIle as the truck locked all the doors. He had tried to open the door only for it to lock on him.

Johnny watched in hopeless horror as the tsunami hit the truck. His dream went black after that. He woke up with a start and had a hard time going back to sleep.

What was that all about? Johnny thought with a tired yawn as he tried to go back to sleep. He just lied awake for the rest of the night.

The next morning Johnny was given a call by Joseph. He was given more details on the testing. Including what he would get paid for testing. It took Joseph a few hours to finally persuade Johnny to sign on. He was told the testing would take place two months at Banger Blitz Speedway.

After he was done talking to Joseph. Johnny left his trailer to go attend a retirement party that was for him. Johnny was glad to see a lot of people had showed up. As he made his into the party. People wished him luck for the future in whatever he pursued. Speeches were given to him by fans and other drivers alike. His retirement party lasted most of the day with Johnny giving news that he would stick around Banzai Bangers. He had invested into the team he was with.

0