61 The Devil Blacksmith (1)
87 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
They followed the blacksmith out of the shop and walked through the dusty alleyway. A few minutes later they arrived on the side of the city where it was bustling with peddlers and prostitutes all around the streets. 
 
 
There were also a group of thugs in the midst of beating up a man not far from them but none of them thought of meddling with those guys.
 
There were rows of homeless people around the area, begging for food.
 
The blacksmith continued walking and there were a lot of other people wearing robes and hoods to hide their appearances thus Ares's group weren't too conspicuous walking around the area.
 
 
"Hey, can you drink?" The blacksmith asked.
 
 
"No," Ares answered truthfully because he never enjoyed drinking alcohol since they tasted horrible.
 
 
"How unlucky. By the way, this is where we will do our competition," the blacksmith beckoned them to enter a pub that wasn't too crowded.
 
 
Ares just followed him without much thought while the Moran twins reluctantly let their young master enter a place unbefitting for him as a noble.
 
 
"So what are we doing here?" 
 
 
"This place is owned by my friend and we will be having an eating competition and if you can eat more than me then it's your win," the blacksmith explained while giving Ares a slight smirk.
 
 
"Ok,"
 
Hearing the type of competition they would do, the Moran twins decided to wait for Ares outside of the bar while Tuah decided he wanted to stay with Ares.
 
 
 
Not long after that a few female waitresses came out with trolleys of food on them. Ares and the blacksmith were sitting at different tables and each table was the length of a lorry. It was quickly filled with towering food bought by the waitresses.
 
 
There was a wooden partition between them, making them hidden from each other's view.
 
 
Vincent gulped down his saliva seeing the variety of tasty food in front of Ares. Ares looked at the food and glanced towards the blacksmith.
 
 
After all food have been served, a woman with a burn scar on her face, started shouting, "Today Henova will be competing against a young lad and the bet is that the one who lose would pay for everyone here"
 
 
"Whoahhhhhh!"
 
"Beat him, Henova. Let's empty his pocket."
 
"Damn, which ignorant bastard tries to beat Henova when it comes to eating?!"
 
 
The pub started to become rowdy and everyone clapped and cheered as if the competition had already ended.
 
 
 
"Now, let's start the competition!" The woman acting like the host announced.
 
 
The rule was simple as long as you can eat, once you finish everything, they will give you more food until you surrender. Thus whoever can eat more will win. 
 
Since it wasn't a race of time, Ares just ate leisurely like he usually did.
 
 
People kept on chanting their support to the blacksmith, Henova while mocking Ares for being foolish.
 
 
However Ares never thought that he would be grateful for being a Targael.
 
 
One of the Targael traits is they were all gluttons when eating food. Thus Ares didn't care even if he lost since the amount he could eat was far more than a normal human could eat for a week.
 
 
After 20 minutes, the cheering started to die down since the young man that looked slender without any obvious muscle had requested the waitresses for more food. He even asked for some juice since he was thirsty.
 
 
Henova continued eating not knowing what had happened and just thought the other customers might already feel bored that they were eating too long. He would continue eating until Ares surrendered.
 
 
50 minutes later, Henova was already full that he even felt like he wanted to vomit but he still didn't hear Ares surrendering thus he asked his friend, the woman with burn mark scar on her face, Mara.
 
 
 
"Oh he is still eating and the cook had already complained to the manager that our food might not be enough for today," Mara answered while looking at a tablet showing a young man still eating on the other side of the wooden partition.
 
 
"Is he a demon? How could he still eat when I already feel like I want to vomit everything," Henova was dumbfounded.
 
 
"Who knows but I think we already have a winner here right?" Mara, who was sitting in front of Henova asked.
 
 
"Fine I surrender."
 
 
After Henova conceded, Mara quickly announced the result but the clapping sound was lukewarm since the other customers were all stunned with the unexpected event.
 
 
"Miss, can I order more food?" Ares asked.
 
 
"Can I say no?" Mara felt worried that her business might go bankrupt at this rate.
 
 
"This is for my servants and I will pay for everything today so don't worry," Ares asked while taking out his debit card. He had more than enough money to even buy a regular house anywhere in Vulcan anytime he wanted.
 
 
Targael was generous when giving him an allowance, especially when they knew they had to eat a lot.
 
 
 
"Hey it's my loss so why are you paying?" Henova asked.
 
"Because I'm rich," Ares answered shamelessly.
 
 
"Tskk, do whatever you want. Hey guys order everything you want since our generous rich young master will be paying today!" Henova announced and the other customers started to cheer.
 
 
The Moran twins came into the pub to eat and then went outside again.
 
 
"So young master, what kind of weapons do you want?" Henova asked, glancing at Ares who was sitting silently beside him.
 
 
"I just want to buy any weapons I find interesting and your junk looks interesting. I want all of them."
 
 
".....Are you just trying to waste your money?"
 
 
"No, I just wanted to use them for practice so those are already adequate enough"
 
 
"Hey young master, this is just between us but I just wanted to know from which family you are from?" Mara suddenly interrupted and she looked genuinely curious.
 
 
"Does that matter?"
 
 
"Awww it's rare to find an easy going rich young master like you and if you have a connection with people here, it's easy to find information from inside and outside of Vulcan. Please just tell me your name," Mara tried to entice Ares.
 
 
Information, the more powerful someone is, the more he needs information to secure his position.
 
 
However Ares was different, he had been slowly building his intelligent network all over Vulcan and he already had a plan on how to expand them internationally.
 
 
"Then my name is Ares," he answered, purposely not including his last name.
 
 
"Who the hell gave you that name?" Mara was shocked and her face literally showed exactly how she felt.
 
 
"My parents."
 
 
"What's wrong with that name?" Henova looked confused seeing his long time friend acting like that.
 
 
"It's the name of a demon," Ares was the one who answered Henova.
 
 
Ares was the name of a bloodthirsty and war maniac God in ancient Greek mythology. However, in this world it was once the name of a former Demon King that wasn't really well-known.
 
 
However Mara seemed to know about it. However the Targael didn't seem to care much about such things thus Ares also didn't care.
 
 
"You have very interesting parents. Maybe that's why you also don't act flippant like other nobles I've met," Henova commented.
 
 
"Ehem young master Ares, will you come here again?" Mara asked.
 
 
"Maybe, since the food tastes good"
 
 
Even though Ares didn't give a definite answer, Mara was beaming with a smile on her face. Ares gave extra money enough to make even the blacksmith Henova to glance at the amount.
 
 
They went back to Henova's shop to take all the weapons and it was almost dark, Ares and his group decided to go back to their hotel to rest after such a long day.
 
 
However, Henova stopped them from leaving.
 
"Hey young master, are you sure you don't want any custom made weapon? Why not leave behind the weapon you are currently using and I will upgrade it for free since it's rare to meet a person like you."
 
 
Henova was sincere since he always experienced terrible things when dealing with the nobles and rich people because of his proud way of talking that seemed unruly to those people.
 
 
But the young master in front of him didn't seem to care. He never even once rebuked his servant, especially the one that stood beside him.
 
 
 
"I will leave my two swords here but I have to take them back the day after tomorrow," Ares said since Henova offered a free service.
 
 
"Do you have any specifications on what kind of upgrade you want?" Henova asked after he determined that the swords have a decent quality.
 
 
"I want them to be able to withstand extreme temperatures whether it's hot or cold without shattering, smoother mana flow and can infuse holy power."
 
 
"........." Isn't that too much?
 
 
 
"I can pay if you think it's too much as a free service. As you might have guessed I'm not from this town so my time here is short."
 
 
 
"Well since you have no problem spending money, I will take a look at how much upgrade I can do with these two before I decide the price. I can't guarantee if I can finish them in two days though."
 
 
"Ok, we will discuss this again later."
 
 
Not long after Ares and his entourage left the shop, Henova took a look at the two swords in front of him. The scabbards didn't have any logo or symbols of the owner or the maker. 
 
 
He scrutinized the shape, the sharpness and the weight of the weapon. Looking at the handle of the swords that were purposely designed to accommodate an ambidextrous user, he knew that the owner was someone that had significant strength based on the signs of force and tear all over the weapon.
 
 
 
"Hmm so contradictory so how should I upgrade this weapon in less than two days?" Henova muttered.
 
He was confused why Ares, who has large strength based on the traces on the swords' handles, would even wield a light sword when he could even use a huge great sword instead.
 
 
"Based on these traces, that lad could even crush a boulder bare handed."
 
 
 
 
Glancing around the smithy, Henova looked at the black substance put inside an airtight glass box. That substance was something given to him by someone he really indebted to but he already decided not to use it since it was dangerous.
 
He turned away and tried to find other substances that might be more suitable. There were traces of burns all over the swords as if it had been struck by lightning or a really hot fire.
 
 
"I should have asked that lad about his mana affinity. But looking at these traces most probably from fire spells," Henova decided to upgrade the weapon's sturdiness while still retaining its light weight.
 
His sleepless night continued and he was engrossed in front of the burning fire and hot steaming anvil. Henova didn't even realise that it was already early morning when he finished the work.
 
 
 
It wasn't his first time dealing with such weapons but the Katana was something he was familiar with since they weren't created from metal but teeth. A really sturdy and sharp tooth of a monster and that was why it was so light since it didn't contain metal at all.
 
 
"This kind of weapon is more well known in the north of Vulcan so our young master must be from there."
 
 
Majority of the area in the north of the Vulcan Empire was a wide snowy plain surrounded by sea and people in those areas caught more marine monsters than land monsters. Thus monsters' body parts were used for various things. 
 
 
Sea monsters were dangerous due to their sharp teeth and big sizes. Those teeth could even rip apart an ordinary metal ship thus using it to make weapons was a perfect choice.
 
 
 
 
 
 
*****************
 
 
The next morning, Ares decided to go back to the homeless alley where thousands of homeless people there slept on the sidewalk or built makeshift tents or small huts out of plastics and cardboards as their sleeping place.
 
 
 
"Young master, why do you want to go to this place?" Vincent was worried since this place has a high crime rate and those homeless vagrants never care about who they attacked since most of them were usually high on drugs almost 24 hours a day.
 
 
"I just want to see if I can find the people I wanted to find," Ares said nonchalantly.
 
 
He can't die so what else would scare him?
 
The reason why he was there was to find two future villains that he could make use of and Ten able to find someone that might be the one he was searching for and the information provided by Ten lead to this place.
 
 
"Hey Dark Guards, go search for any blind young man or maybe someone who doesn't have both arms. Come back after you find them," Ares instructed after spending a few hours walking around the area.
 
 
Sensing that Ares seemed to have an objective coming here, Vincent offered, "Should we call the Espada young master?"
 
 
"No need."
 
 
"Ok as you wish."
 
3