The Power of Will I
2.4k 6 109
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Haki, in simple words is the manifestation of will. It has many names throughout history but the essentials don't change. As long as an individual has enough will, this energy will materialise in the physical world. More accurately, your body".

Mihawk explained, just as she promised she began the day without wasting any second. Unlike usual where she'd wake up first and wait for him, this time the poor boy was carried out of the bed and mercilessly thrown into a lake of cold water.

Veyron wasn't very appreciative of her methods, but her joining right after -in all her nude self- for an early morning bath, erased any grievance he could possibly make out of her actions.

With a body clean and a belly full, it was time to start what was likely to be the roughest training program he would ever undergo.

"What is a will?" He began with a simple question and instead of losing her patience right away at the question that should have had a simple answer, Mihawk displayed patience. She was conscious the quality of her teachings would determine the heights Veyron would achieve.

"If I had to put it in words: Will is the freedom of choice that all living beings have... when this freedom is shaped into an intention or desire, it becomes a will" The lady began and extended her arm forward emitting an aura.

"The desire to do violence, the desire to protect something..." Her whole arm, including even her clothes transformed into steel in front of Veyron's very eyes. At the very least, it resembled steel.

He bit his lips harshly, she made it look easy but he had tried to do this again and again for the last two years fruitlessly, 'As expected, it was because my perception of the concept was wrong'.

"The capacity to use Haki is not tied to the individual's physical strength, instead... it is tied to the capacity to possess a will... fickle and ambiguous individuals who had yet to learn their path in life... such individuals would never be able to use Haki, they don't have the will to do anything" Her voice contained utter disregard for such individuals as if they were less than peasants.

The boy felt a complexity of emotions, from enthusiasm for finally learning the missing piece of the puzzle, to irritability at not being able to fully comprehend it just yet.

Will was not something quantifiable, it couldn't be calculated with an equation or measured with a scientific instrument... and hence, it was very difficult to understand it in his mind.

Nevertheless, Mihawk smirked, she hadn't been observing him for nothing.

'Veyron is a calculative person with a logical mindset, then...'

"You can't calculate it, you can't measure it... but you can feel it".

*RUMBLE!!*

This time her conqueror Haki was manifested in a different manner. Veyron didn't feel it crashing on him like a sudden mountain, instead... her focus seemed to be settled in the mansion itself instead of her. He could see the ceiling rumble and the whole building shriek.

Veyron understood what she was trying to do, but the meaning of her intent flowed between his fingers, unable to grasp it.

"Sorry..."

She sighed and rubbed his head, releasing her Haki.

"No need to be so downcast, you have already awakened your Conqueror Haki. You have already stepped into the threshold of no return, what you have yet to do is comprehend it and for that... there is the perfect example of the manifestation of will".

"Hmn?"

"To take a life... it takes will".

!!!

He recalled the first humandrill he killed, it was as vivid in his mind as the moment he did it two years ago. He could almost smell the blood. What came crashing down together with the memory were two feelings; one was the unquestionable desire to survive, and the other was the disgust at plundering another living being's life.

Nevertheless, he understood her intentions... the one he needed to focus on was the former, the will to survive.

"Even if it is just the desire to eat, to satisfy your hunger... it can create a strong will capable of awakening Haki" She carried on, unaware of how exactly he had awakened his Haki during her absence.

"..." Veyron's silence delivered the answer she was seeking.

"Oh, was that what happened to you?"

"I was about to be murdered by a humandrill at that time... if my power hadn't awakened then, I wouldn't be here".

Contrary to what he expected, she smiled and hugged him instead of feeling pity for a kid who had gone through a life-and-death situation on his own.

"Isn't that thrilling? To become stronger... right at the moment when you need it the most, that is will, Veyron".

"... I think I understand now".

*RUMBLE!!*

It was weak, nowhere comparable to what had been at that time but for the first time while being but a mere child, Veyron managed to activate his conqueror haki and it was felt by Mihawk who laughed with pride.

"Mom?"

The answer Veyron received was that of a deep and meaningful smile as she caressed his face with a sort of longing that he couldn't comprehend.

'If only I could see a lot farther into the future... and know what you will become. The strongest swordsman? the strongest individual?' She didn't know if Veyron was sent here by someone, but one thing she knew was that this encounter was arranged by fate.

Eventually -much to the boy's confusion- she sighed with a deep exhalation.

"In any case, this same principle works for all types of Haki. It is important that you dominate this concept before even stepping out of this island, Veyron".

"I understand mother, I'll do as you say".

Mihawk tilted her eyebrows at his sudden obedience. Unbeknownst to her, Veyron had wholeheartedly acknowledged her as his teacher. After experiencing two years of frustration at not being able to advance in his dominion of Haki, she had come out of nowhere and delivered a single explanation that allowed him to break through.

It didn't only take talent as a student; a great teacher was also required to reach greater heights.

"... Good boy. In the world, there are plenty of dangers, among them the users of devil fruits are at the top".

She explained to him what devil fruits were, the types, and how fearful logia users could be for those unaware of Haki. That was information Veyron already knew from the original show.

"The second type of Haki is observation Haki… the principle of this one is the desire to know, observe and feel. The most basic manifestation of this Haki is the instinct to feel danger. The most advanced… even future prediction is possible".

"Future prediction? How long is it possible to-?"

"Future prediction? How long is it possible to-?"

Before he even finished his sentence, he realised she was repeating everything he was saying, from word to word.

"You're repeating what I'm saying!"

"You're repeating what I'm saying!"

"..."

"..."

"I'm a lazy bum that drinks wine and reads the newspaper every day while my son takes care of everything in the house".

"..."

She didn't repeat that one, in fact, Mihawk frowned and tapped her fingers menacingly. Veyron gulped audibly realising that he just messed up.

"Oops-"

*SMACK!*

**

**

The schedule is one chapter a day during the week and if ya’all lucky them I’ll post during the weekend as well.
Feel free to look for my pa-tre-on.com/photosphere for up to 3, 10, 20 and 30 advanced chapter tiers.

109