You’re Not My Match I
2k 6 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The banquet was finished, and everybody was sleeping at the shore except for Shanks, Mihawk and Ben.

"This time we won't be going straight into the new world" Shanks began.

"..."

"You must have read in the news, about a year ago a pirate called Fisher tiger that was slaved in Marie Geoise managed to escape".

"I read about it, it was quite the commission" The news didn't astonish her that much at that time, but it didn't look like the matter was going to end there.

"You should have also known that Whitebeard is now the one in charge of protecting Fishman Island and they have taken over his flaw".

"Where are you coming with this?"

"Whitebeard and I had a bit of a chat about this in Fishman Island before I came here to pick you up. He wants us to intervene" Shanks' gaze turned serious... nothing that involved the Celestial Dragons and Marie Geoise was anything to joke with.

"Since when do we follow Whitebeards' orders?" Mihawk groaned, although she liked the old man he was prone to treat everyone around him like a hopeless child. Likewise, he protected those he cared about, so she couldn't judge him.

It was perhaps the only pirate in this world worth befriending after Roger's death.

"The old man said he'd owe me a favour".

"The favour of a Yonko? sounds compelling. So he wants us to intervene in...?"

"Fisher tiger is going to climb up the Red Line again to cause a ruckus and free the slaves. He can't do it alone. You and I know that Marie Geoise is not exactly powerless to defend, and he's not that strong to begin with, if this operation is to be successful, he can't do it on his own".

Mihawk's gaze flickered to Ben Beckman.

"I trust him. He already knows everything".

"What about the rest?"

"I already made sure they're sleeping, but if you want... you can double-check".

*RUMBLE!*

Her Conqueror Haki left no victims, if they hadn't been sleeping, now they were. But at the same time... her rubbing of Veyron's hair got softer. Feeling her haki, there was no way he wouldn't wake up.

Seeing that she had done her preparations, Shanks continued.

"Fisher tiger is going to climb and we're going to support him. As that happens Whitebeard is going to take care of the marine's attention. We only have to face the defences at Marie Geoise, also... I know someone you're very interested in will be there".

!!!

"Is it him?"

"Yes, the one that took your father's spot as a knight of god, he's one of the three tasked to protect that region".

"I will do it. We're sailing tomorrow" It was as if that affirmation changed everything, if before she was reluctant to involve herself, now Mihawk sounded like she couldn't wait to be there.

Shanks smirked at her reaction and confidence, the one she wanted to kill was not just anyone, it was a Knight of God.

"You're moving too quickly, we have to stand by in Sabaody until we get the signal. We're not the only ones participating in this operation. Once the signal is given we will be picked up and taken there, just the two of us".

Mihawk tilted her eyebrows but didn't say any further except for a single question, "Don't you think this will make your father angry? attacking Marie Geoise?"

"He ain't my father".

"Will it or not?"

"I don't care... a favour from Whitebeard is something I could use. Right now it is more convenient for me to have him as an ally than an enemy. Whitebeard has been moving his pieces. His crew is strong and he has quite a bit of territory in the new world. He's undoubtedly the most influential Yonko right now. Big Mom won't leave her big cake and Kaido still hasn't completely taken over Wano even if they were more influential, I'm not on good terms with any of them. As for Shiki, he's still in impel down, his influence has no use".

"Have you involved yourself in that strife in these two years of my absence?"

"Other than claiming some territories for ourselves, no... the great pirate era has just started, promising youths have yet to reach Sabaody, much less the new world. But there has definitely been a lot of movement. Dressrosa, Baltigo... even the North Blue with this Germa 66 Kingdom, you've been out of the scope and have lost on quite a bit".

Mihawk just humphed a bit at his affirmation, she didn't find any of those events remarkably amusing.

"The Gomu Gomu no Mi?"

"I intend to use Whitebeard's favour to track it down, there hasn't been any luck so far... but we've found many" Shanks drank his booze and pointed at the members of his crew with a snicker, referring to them being Devil Fruit users now, prideful of how strong his crew had become over the years when it was just the two of them.

"I see, you're behaving more and more like a captain, Shanks" Mihawk admitted with a smile, it seemed like for those two years he really grew some backbone and became responsible other than just chasing power.

Ben Beckman exhaled some smoke, "I'll leave you two lovebirds since we're done with business, makes me sick".

"We aren't any lovebirds" Mihawk declared but her words seemed to be directed towards somebody else.

Her words made Shanks' eyebrows twitch as if he felt his heart getting clenched. When they were left alone there was only silence; Mihawk was impassively caressing her son's hair... in a way she just wanted him to sleep.

"Are you going to leave him? we could take him along with us" Shanks suggested, although he didn't really want it. But if it would make Mihawk reassured, he was willing to take that sacrifice.

Mihawk thought about it herself and could almost swear she heard him in her mind saying 'Please!'.

"No. He can protect himself pretty well without me. He did it the last time... all these baboons like him and will take care of him" She declared, similarly feeling his depression over her decision. The way she said it made it look like the baboons liked Veyron instead of being outright terrified of him. After he moved every single one of them to this island... he became the boss.

She was more worried about the creatures on this island than her son.

After a few more seconds of silence, Shanks realised that what he was expecting likely wasn't going to come. He took out his sword and Mihawk's gaze finally diverted to him.

"You have been acting odd all day. It would be usually you who would lunge at me with your sword right away after you see me. I'm not one to usually request a duel" He stated and stood up, waiting for her to do the same just so they could move away and have an impassive duel.

However, much to his shock, Mihawk yawned a little... she just wanted to go to sleep with Veyron since this was likely the last one they'd have in a long time.

"Things have changed... I don't feel I need to duel you anymore, Redhead".

!!!

"Redhead..." Shanks gasped at the sudden distance she was placing in between them, although he did hold romantic feelings, he still loved her as his rival and their duels had become a sort of intimacy or so he believed. He was always willing to test how much stronger he had become whenever he fought against her and thought the same happened on her side.

However, Mihawk's words broke that conviction.

"I'll become the strongest swordswoman alive when I defeat the strongest man alive".

"... Whitebeard? why all of the sudden-"

"It is not Whitebeard, it is a promising pirate... I can't wait but I have to. Until he becomes strong enough to claim that title from Whitebeard".

For her it seemed simple, she didn't have a shred of doubt that Veyron was going to be the strongest. Seven years old and he could already give her a run for her money. The word 'monster' didn't begin to describe him.

All she could do was hope that power wouldn't change him and that regardless of whichever path they both choose, there would still be love in between.

"Fight me".

Shanks was stubborn, he imagined the one she was talking about was that man that she fought in Kuraigana; strong enough that their clash had destroyed that massive island.

"If you fight me as you're now... you could die".

She warned him, still unable to completely control her 4th Will... with how strong Shanks was, there was no way she wouldn't use it against him and show off her progress. Nevertheless, Shanks didn't care... he started walking towards the Red Hair Pirate ship.

Ben Beckman nodded from the distance, indicating that he'd protect everyone in case anything happened.

Mihawk sighed, "Stay quiet... I'm coming back in a bit".

She whispered in her son's ears as he pretended to sleep.

On the way to the ship, she took Yoru and placed it on its scabbard, ready to face the one that so far had been the only one aside from Whitebeard to give her decent competition with a weapon at this side of the sea.

97