Bookworm
1.1k 3 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The meeting had concluded, and the various parties had already made their decisions about what to do and for whom. All that remained was to be prepared to act, and this was the case for everyone except for the enthusiastic archaeologist, Robin. She hurriedly packed a small suitcase while a daydreaming boy watched her, seemingly levitating.

Primrose and her daughters had already left for the port with Gion and Tsuru. They were determined to confront him because they had noticed something suspicious in his behaviour towards the informant. They couldn't for the life of them understand why he was showing such a keen interest in her.

"Have you gathered everything you need?" he asked after she had packed what looked like an entire suitcase filled with books.

"Yes, I'm ready."

"What about everything else?" He pointed at the clothes, artefacts, and other items. Her luggage contained only books.

"I don't care about anything else," she smiled, discarding all her clothes and other belongings just for the sake of her books. Astonishingly, the suitcase began to levitate in front of him.

"Let's go then."

"Your power is very useful in situations like this."

"You don't say," he replied, rolling his eyes and recalling how his mom had used his powers to carry wine. Apparently, women believed that was the most efficient use of his abilities, for carrying things.

"Can I ask you a question?" She began while on their way back. 

"Hmm?"

"How did you manage to survive with a bounty like that?"

The question was personal, and Veyron hesitated, his hand on the doorknob. He knew she was asking because her bounty had been placed on her at a very young age. 'She must have struggled a lot to live in these conditions... I wonder at what point in time she meets Crocodile,' he thought.

"Our circumstances are different. I did what I had to do and got this bounty as a consequence. You just weren't lucky, Robin."

"... Do you know my story?"

"I read about you in the newspapers a few years ago."

"Did you already know how to read newspapers a few years ago?" She looked at the boy up and down, noting that he couldn't be more than thirteen or fourteen. It was already a surprise that he was so articulate. In truth, he was just ten. 

"Sort of... I saw you in them, so I know."

"How old are you, Veyron?"

"I'm eleven this year, I think?"

"Eleven?!"

She had expected him to be young, but not this young. 'And he already has such a big bounty on his head, moreover... he defeated Vice Admiral Kizaru?' Those things she had read in the newspapers were harder to believe now that she had him in front of her. She had always thought his picture on the wanted poster made him look younger than he was, not to mention the newspapers said he disguised himself as a kid. Clearly, that was a vicious lie spread by the government.

It was so strange that theories started to form in her mind about his relationship with the Kuja ladies since they looked very chummy. Not to mention the prettiest girl, whom she imagined was already a young adult, proudly declared him as her fiancé. 'It doesn't matter, as we travel, I'll get to the bottom of it.'

She hoped the Kuja Tribe was not taking advantage of a young gullible yet powerful boy. If only she knew, he was not the one being taken advantage of. 

Veyron opened the door, and they left the place that had been her home for years, but she thought she'd never come back here again.

"You never answered me, how come you don't know your age?"

"My mother found me on the shore of her island when I was about two or three. I don't remember anything before that, and I also don't know when my birthday is."

"Your mother is Hawkeye, right?"

"Hmm, can you tell?"

"With a kid as remarkable as you, it's no wonder she's that powerful. I'm sure it won't be long before your strength matches hers."

He stopped in his tracks and looked at her. Robin momentarily stumbled. She'd usually not be shy around anyone, much less a kid, but this kid emitted an aura so dominant as if the wrong words would bring forth consequences. But when he spoke and expressed himself, it was as if he was harmless. These two opposite poles made it difficult for her to know how to treat him.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No... people usually say that I'm strong because she's my mother. You're the first one to say the opposite. Only you have motivated me to try and surpass her too, they see her as an insurmountable mountain. I also believe that I'll get stronger than her one day, Robin"

'Hopefully soon or I'll lose my head'.

Robin's eyes softened, and she tentatively reached her hand forward, ruffling his white hair a bit.

"You're a sweet kid, mature, and very strong for your age. Although she must have doted on you and taught you a lot of things, I believe this has nothing to do with her. These are talents of your own."

"Hehe."

In response to her warm comment, Veyron could only giggle a bit before turning around and walking ahead toward the docks with a levitating Youbi and luggage behind him.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. You're just as I imagined you, that's all."

It was time for Robin to stop and analyze his sentence. The next thing Veyron felt was a brush of soft breath next to his ear.

"Oh? So I take it... You were expecting to meet me?~"

Being exposed like that, all he could do was try to ignore the comment fruitlessly. She had already noticed his ears were all red.

**

**

Primrose was on the front deck, talking to Tsuru and Gion while the three Boa sisters stood to the side of the ship, waiting for their boyfriend. Sandersonia and Marigold were so focused on trying to appease their sister that they failed to notice a sudden gust of wind and sand making its way into the ship.

Hancock was tapping her fingers and the tip of her heels, waiting for her fiancé to return with the guest they were supposed to take with them.

"Big sis, I don't understand you."

"Hmm? What is it you don't get, Sandersonia?"

"We're already sharing... why do you get so irritated whenever he's with another girl?" A part of her understood why Hancock was usually jealous. Unlike the two of them, she was the 'official.'

"Hmph! How could you not understand? It's not the same sharing with family as sharing with outsiders."

(Sandersonia) ...

(Marigold) ...

"Eh... Sis, I think what we're doing is worse".

61