The Knights
464 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marie Geoise, Pange Castle, basked in the calm, sunlit day. The garden, perennially adorned with flying butterflies, held a certain enchantment. A figure stood there, seemingly in awe of the wonder that physical sensations and touch could exist in this world.

"Did you summon me, Lord Imu?"

A silhouette materialized next to this person—a man clad in knightly armour of pink cloth and golden plates, his golden hair cascading down, reaching his back.

"Cervantes... it has been a long time since you stood before Mu," the enigmatic figure spoke.

Cervantes, the 7th Knight of God and member of the Donquixote Family, raised his gaze to meet the dark silhouette and those dull red eyes.

"I believe your extraordinary power surpasses the need for someone like me, the 7th Knight. Nevertheless, I have come promptly at your summons, my lord."

Cervantes' humble words seemed to momentarily appease his lord. Another figure soon appeared in the room, seemingly materializing out of thin air. It was the commander of the knights, Saint Figarland Garling.

As the red silhouette of the knight appeared next to him, Cervantes realized that he hadn't been summoned for mere pleasantries.

"It's good to see that you remember your place. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case only when you're in Mu's presence. At other times, you appear to be unruly and defiant," the enigmatic figure remarked.

Cervantes' eyebrows twitched, confirming his suspicion.

"I believe your Donquixote Family has ceased to serve the highest purpose of us ever since Homing's betrayal. They no longer identify with us, the Gods of the world above," the enigmatic figure began, but Cervantes fiercely interrupted.

"That's not true, Lord Imu! Just as eight hundred years ago, I remain loyal!"

"Is that so? Then why did you reveal the location of the national tribute to your descendant, encouraging him to steal it?"

Cervantes found himself caught between a rock and a hard place. Choosing the typical Donquixote way, he attempted to lie his way out.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Lord Imu."

"You have no idea?" The tribunal was not a place where lies could easily pass. Garling's sword edge rested on Cervantes' neck, and he groaned not out of fear but out of apprehension. Evading the sword would be seen as disrespecting the commander's decree, a sin that guaranteed not just death for the offender but the extermination of their entire family.

"Do you now understand what Lord Imu is referring to, Cervantes?" Garling asked for confirmation.

"I... do." Cervantes realized that speaking the truth was his only option. It was a choice that would save his family from dire consequences.

"Good. Mu is a merciful ruler. Therefore, Mu will grant you another chance. Turbulent tides are stirring in the New World, and two Yonko intend to secretly eliminate one of our adversaries. Mu wishes for you to assist them in this endeavour. If you can accomplish this task, Mu will forgive the Donquixote Family's transgressions."

The enigmatic figure picked up a wanted poster with a dagger lodged in it, depicting Dracule Veyron, one of their biggest threats outside of the 'D'.

"If that is your order, Lord Imu, I shall comply. Please instruct me on where I must go," Cervantes knelt down once more, his choice limited by the circumstances.

"Do not waver. You will have assistance," the enigmatic figure stated, though Cervantes understood that this assistance was more akin to surveillance to ensure his compliance and prevent insubordination that would lead to his family's execution.

Being a member of the God Knights came with significant privileges but also tremendous responsibilities—responsibilities that only a select few knights, such as the 2nd Knight, chose to disregard.

Mostly because she held no 'family' left they could threaten. 

A man materialized out of thin air, clad in black and gold armour, with long black hair that trailed along the floor, and dull, machine-like eyes. He knelt down, and upon seeing this figure, both Garling and Cervantes concealed their internal frustration.

"Lord Imu, your orders."

"Dumas, please assist Cervantes in this task. Mu will leave the preparations to both of you," the enigmatic figure dismissed the wanted poster. However, it was clear that Dumas was the one in charge of the operation.

The 8th Knight of God, Saint Dumas de Montecristo, accepted the order with a simple acknowledgement.

"As you wish, Lord Imu. We shall depart immediately."

"Tch!"

Taking the reluctant Donquixote de Cervantes by the elbow, Dumas disappeared as if through a black hole, leaving only Garling behind. The commander bowed and prepared to leave.

"Garling."

"Yes, Lord Imu?"

"If they were to fail... you know what to do," the enigmatic figure hinted with a malicious tone.

Garling gritted his teeth but nodded obediently, like a subservient dog.

"Yes, Lord Imu."

...

As he exited the main garden, Garling encountered a woman leaning against the gate. He initially ignored her presence. She had long grey hair, a flawlessly beautiful countenance, and a purple dress adorned with metal plates and leather.

"When will this end, Garling?" she inquired sternly, but her question was met with silence.

"..."

He continued walking.

"Will it only end when none of us remain? Not even you?"

"If that is the will of the crown, Isabel."

His words held a venomous undertone as if daring her to answer anything other than 'no.' As commander, he had the authority to judge other members, and anyone deemed a 'traitor,' even in the slightest, would face dire consequences. However, the other knights collectively held the power to judge him and expose his actions to their lord.

That was why he needed to play his cards carefully, especially in front of the right individuals.

The woman frowned, still with a choice—she could neither confirm nor deny.

The 9th Knight, Saint Isabel Esquivel, chose to remain silent.

"Where is Dracule Mihawk?"

"She is on her own mission, far from Marie Geoise. Her task is of utmost importance and should not be interrupted."

The woman's eyebrows twitched as she watched her commander retreat deeper into his own commitment.

'Important mission? Or is there something you don't want me to see, Garling? It seems you have forgotten what my power is...'

***

Did you enjoy the chapter, leave a comment! Alternatively, you can leave a review, it really helps my book get positioned on the platform.

For every 500 stones in webnovel, I’ll deliver an extra chapter. The schedule is three chapters a week (Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday) in webnovel and scribblehub. The schedule on Patreon is one chapter every day + extras!

http://pa-tre-on.com/photosphere

16