185. How the Sky Fell
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Skye blinked several times. The events hadn’t fully sank in yet. Questions also popped from various spots in her mind. Since when did Logan know about it? Who else knew about it? Did Xandra also know that he did?

The way she perceived things before slowly changed—particularly, the time she found Logan and Xandra at the Stitz Diner. Their closeness and camaraderie had been evident. She already developed suspicion then but Carla had denied any information about Logan knowing the secret.

Had they set her up for failure?

And, of course, Xandra knew! Skye groaned in her head. That was the reason her childhood friend felt complacent of her position. She didn’t even bat an eye about the threat to reveal the secret to Logan. She must have always known back then.

Skye threw her purse to the ground, tugging the chain. Her shoulder throbbed in pain. She could almost imagine the mocking snickers behind her back this whole time. How foolish did they take her for? She let out a loud cry into the air and kicked the grass.

This news won’t be taken lightly when she goes back home.

Skye bit the tip of her thumb. She only had one job and she already blew it. If Logan and Xandra grew any closer, her chances at living in leisure among the elite would go down the drain. She relied heavily on the affiliation between the Greenwoods and the Conarys. They wouldn’t even have worried about it in the first place if Xandra had stayed in her nest like a good girl.

If she wanted to experience school life, why did she even have to attend Woodlands? That alone thwarted two plans in motion.

For that, they had to take risks but now…, they couldn’t have either one.

A ringtone blared out of her purse. Still feeling bitter, Skye unclasped the lock and flung the flap open. She fished out her phone, lighting up the screen. The name of her driver flashed across it.

She hit the answer button and pressed it closer to her ear.

“What is it?!” She spat. She huffed at the intensity of her voice. Instead of toning it down, she merely rolled her eyes. She didn’t have the energy to act nice anymore.

“I am sorry to disturb you, miss, but the madam called.”

Skye groaned, rubbing her temple. Was her mother already checking in on her? School barely started yet, “What did she say?”

“It’s… it’s… with utmost displeasure that I’ll be the one to tell you this, miss.”

“Just spit it out!”

Her chauffeur gulped. He wiped off the sweat trickling down the sides of his face. He trembled a little as he spoke, “A call came at the manor. It seems that evidence against you violating a restraining order has reached the ears of the Master and Madam. She told me to drive you away immediately.”

Skye’s vision clouded.

“Wha-what evidence?” She breathed out.

“A video recording of you admitting your actions to someone.”

Her fingers curled around her phone. The sides of the device dug into her hand. The pressure immobilized the nerves and blood flow underneath the skin. A menacing dark aura surrounded her body. Xandra! That… that…! That lying little bitch! There was no mistake. The video contained their conversation in that storage unit.

No funny business was it? Just how did she miss that camcorder? Where did that evil little pest hide it?

“Miss?” The driver called out when she didn’t say anything.

Skye gritted her teeth and stretched her lips wide. Was this how she ends? All of her efforts thrown into a trash bin?

No… she couldn’t go down like this. There had to be something she could do. Since Xandra made her decision about the arrangement clear, Skye wouldn’t let her go easily either.

After all, what did she have to lose now?

“Do the callers know where I am right now?” Skye hissed. A plan formed in her mind. It manifested gradually. She searched for possible holes.

“That… I don’t think so, miss. Madam had informed them that you were in school and to not disturb until it ended. She said it’s enough time to let you escape while they pretend to not know about your truancy” the driver sighed gravelly. Since he would be involved in this gimmick, he wouldn’t be able to keep his job after this.

The mistress of the house promised him an enormous compensation. As a father himself, he understood her wishes to protect her child.

“Then, I want to stay for a bit” Skye told him firmly, “I still have some unfinished business.”

===

The hallways of Woodlands Academy were empty. The floors looked sparkling clean from the lack of dirty footsteps. Whether they were students or part of the faculty, they stayed in their respective stations and rooms. Loitering was absolutely forbidden. For students, they needed a pass slip to use the restrooms.

The sound of a bucket hitting the floor bounced off the walls. The janitor picked it up. He stood near the main entrance of the building. He found it fortunate that the bucket had been empty. If not, it would take a while for the water to dry—even with a mop.

A teenage girl entered the building. The soles of running shoes squeaked against the floor. She carried a school bag on her back. Her doll black eyes lit up at the change of her surroundings. She acted as if it was her first time to see the school.

The janitor spotted her easily. He held up a hand and stopped her in her tracks, “Where’s your hall pass slip?”

She blinked in shock at the sudden inquiry. She smiled politely and tilted her head, black hair swayed with her movement, “I am here to submit my application to the staff room. I heard that I could still enroll for the semester.”

“Do you have your documents?”

“Oh, yes I do!” Skye answered hurriedly. She opened the zipper of her bag and handed out a folder with the accomplished documents.

He glanced at it briefly, nodding his head. He gave her application back and pointed a finger towards a corner, “Take a right turn and walk until the end. You’ll find the staff room near the other entrance.”

“Thank you, sir!”

Skye bowed her head and left on her way. The janitor rolled his trolley towards another hallway. Who knew they still get students at this time of year? She must be new in town. At least, it wasn’t too late in the semester. The teenager wouldn’t have a hard time catching up.

Before Skye could reach the staff room, she noticed how this part of the building seemed sparse. It only had doors that were for employee use, such as faculty, security, administration and maintenance.

She blew on her bangs. This place wouldn’t do for her plan. She rethought another way while she passed by a restroom.

She shifted her attention towards it and another idea came to her.

Skye went inside and placed the bag on the sink. Her feet walked around hastily. She checked each stall, grabbing tissue rolls. She also took the one near the washing area.

Then, she dumped them all in the trash bin.

Thankfully, it was tall and had a flap lid. No one would discover them right away.

Skye took her bag again and left the toilets. She peeked at the intersection, her gaze sweeping to detect anyone who would find her suspicious. When she found it empty, she took this as a chance to study the interior. The entrance she used was the closest to the parking lot.

It was also the best exit for later.

From there, she created a route. She only needed to figure out the best place to start.

A trolley came out from the end of the corridor to her right.

Skye immediately went into action. Her frantic state swept at each turn and searched for another restroom. She looked up for signages. There had to be another one near the classrooms. She brisk walked back in and out of the hallways, seeming to be lost.

“Miss, what are you doing out of class?” Another janitor reprimanded her.

Relief washed over Skye’s face. She sprinted towards him. Her voice flowed out in a helpless tone, “Sir, I’m sorry. I’m an applicant here but the toilets near the staff room had no tissue. Do you know where I can find another restroom? I really need to go.”

She bounced on her heels and bit her bottom lip for effect. Her legs closed together, trembling from the effort of holding her fake pee.

The janitor instantly took pity on her and pointed towards another corridor, “You can find one there. Don’t stay out in the halls for too long or you’ll be under suspicion.”

“Thank you!” Skye replied in a rush. She bolted for the restroom. This time, the hallway contained classrooms. She could hear the teacher’s voice in one. In another, the sound of laughter blasted out. The closed doors muffled most of the volume but she could still hear them.

She entered the toilets and placed her hands on her knees. She panted for breath. Sweat dripped down her back. She hadn’t moved that fast in a while—not to mention the added weight of the backpack.

Regular exercise would have been a good advantage for today.

Once she recovered, Skye straightened her spine. She phoned her driver and instructed him to be ready at the entrance. Her sprints before held no comparison to the one ahead.

Would she see Xandra? Skye wondered. She’d love to see the look on her childhood friend’s face.

The thought of fooling Xandra that she sucessfully transfered already sounded funny. On the other hand, she had to stay away from Logan. His threat rang in her ears.

Skye checked the time on the screen and counted down the minutes. She stepped towards the mirrors, glancing at her reflection. She seemed just like any other student—even the janitors had been mistaken her for one.

She smiled at the current status of her plan. Things had gone smoothly so far. She relished in the moment and gave herself a mental pat in the back.

She only needed to wait now.

2