CHAPTER THREE: INVITATION
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proceeding to the great hall, the artificial light, the reflection, the glittering crystals like-decoration numbed my vision. A peasant walked into a castle by mistake, I assessed my place. The Olvera deserved their reputation. I always thought my home luxurious. Yet this hall stood at another level. 

Trailing behind my parents, I made sure to stay as far as near as the etiquettes permitted the presence of a third wheel. About three meters away, a perfect distance to grasp my embarrassment in an out of habit place.

 I watched them, and all the people that approached them.

Noting the degree of my ignorance. All those relatively powerful people buttering up to my parents. There must have been a huge development when I was away. 

Feigning indifference, carrying the air of shallow interest. I recognized half of the advancers. Those hypocrites, superficial folk. They care about their appearance more than anything else in the world.

Yet, my father's objective, still an enigma, a puzzle from a higher dimension. Figuring it out, a task that perished the bits of joy and hate budded from this invitation. 

Why did he choose me to accompany him? Why me? Why not Alfred Or Jacob Or any other person who had more merit and experience? 

In this kind of situation, my anti-sociable nature proved far crippling than I ought it to be. Like a painting hung on the wall of forgetfulness, my eyes roamed in the big hall. 

The varied flavor of individuals greeted each other. Exchanged pleasantries in effortless manners. 

Envy clapped my heart. How much I hated my disability to initiate human interactions. 

However, it made me a renowned observer of humanity. Watching their interactions, witnessing their exchanges. The hypocrisy washed their faces. The fake smiles… The deceiving eyes, full of lies. I asked myself; what kind of person should I pretend to be to deal with them? 

It didn't take long for my parents to get sucked up into this abyss of duplicity. Perfectly matching the rapidly changing colors of all those high-level kinds of people. 

I remembered an argument I had with my father long ago; This is life whether you accept it or not. You should learn the art of wearing makeup…

The glittering light of my mother's pearl necklace, my father's black tuxedo thinned under my gaze. To be honest, I was too ashamed to follow them like a little kid. So I decided to wander around searching for Evelyn and her fiancée to merge a little bit with this crowd.

From afar, there, I spotted her with a man I have never met in person, her fiancée… 

Emery Cromwell… An individual whom I only knew threw letters sent by my sister. 

Her description turned him into some mythical hero, born from the ash of suffering, and climbed the ladder to prosperity. 

What was my first impression of this legendary knight charming? 

He had the charm that attracted women into his orbit. 

What kind of person he was? 

Only through close interactions, I can judge his character. 

Next to him, the happiness flared around my sister. Laughing, giggling while holding onto his arm. I stopped right away, my endeavor to approach them.

Seeing her acting like this, for some reason it froze my entire body. 

She was in my memories always the reliable, serious, caring person, the one I confided all my secrets to, and there she is… Showing me an obscure side of her I never saw before. 

Next to this man, she looked more like Fayina, just a little girl. Joking and smiling without care of this world. 

Retreating to my destined place as a lonely painting hung on a remote wall, I noticed the press making their entrance. A legion of bodyguards stood between them and the object of their scope. The photographers raced to steal good shots of the main stars of this evening. 

Amazed at the big commotion:¨ the famous Olvera family or I should say the famous August Olvera, father, you really like making me work my brain. What is the reason behind this evening?"        

The food was being served. Finally, the part I waited for came. 

Our round table's position, a strategic one, I could observe most of the invited by a simple look. 

Eagerly counting the remaining seconds after I took a place. The sight next to me rendered my mind blank. 

Alongside my left, the prestigious member of the Olvera family had sat. Mechanically, my gaze shifted, blowing glares hit at my father's spot. 

Was this position a hint? 

Fearing exposure, my eyes wandered away in a manner indicating a load of questions that needed to be answered. 

The invitation, the proximity with the Olvera... What's the meaning of this? Father, On what strings were you playing…

The habits of the McCarthy current head.. . Bad? … Good?… I can't decide anymore.

I found it rather sneaky, not far different from the people I despised. 

He always calculates all affairs by himself, then he throws me suddenly in the middle of it, using his famous argument: "I am only educating you¨. I wonder if Alfred or Evelyn gets the same kind of education?

Seemed, In this educating session, like a forsaken prisoner, I was thrown into a desert, only by finding the road, I will succeed in the test. 

Asking him direct questions, wishing for clear answers, a mere waste of time. Was this his payback for wandering alone outside the family influence zone while not contacting him? 

My whole attention hammered the table next to me. Where the Olvera family members sat. 

Intensely staring, if my eyes emitted laser, they would be burned by now. Thanks to their arrogance, they didn't waste a side glance towards my direction. 

The head family, I recognized him just by the cheer of the glorifying aurora he transmitted. 

Two of his children presented at the same table. I could taste the blood aroma they shared. The oldest of them was August Olvera, the next apparent heir. While the second one, not as famous as his brother. I had heard that he was the son of his third wife. 

I didn't know the other individuals that accompanied the Olvera? Their allies, close friends.. . Two of them appeared familiar in my memory. Grey-beard old men, maybe in their sixty. The radiated foxy smiles matched the oily atmosphere. Powerful the charm they spread out. 

Yet I couldn't remember who they were exactly. 

The hunger snapped away from the deep reflection I offered to decipher the nature of a powerful personage. 

It shifted my focus to something simpler, colorful, and more satisfying. 

It felt like ages since my nose greeted the wild aroma of fine food. Stimulating my gut, a silent cry reached my hand to take the first try. 

The luxury of varied foods left my fingers in disarray. Which dish should I start with first? 

 For ages felt my sorrow since I enjoyed eating without restriction. Goodbye, my mother's strict healthy food policy, goodbye to my empty pockets, at least for today. 

The life of a university student is very hard, especially if he decided to depend on himself. 

I encouraged myself deep in my heart, "Screw everything… The invitation, my father's objective, the Olvera, August Olvera. Even my mother glares from the side. Who cares… The most important thing now is to eat and eat and enjoy every present variety of this fine food." 

The plate in front of me was full, my mouth was full. When I reached the glass, I got startled by my father's voice whispering in my ear, advising me to carefully oversee the upcoming events.

Little he knew about the decision I have already made. However, out of respect, out of fear, I was obligated to perform the tips of interest. 

Unable to withstand the look of resentment that colored my face. I mumbled my apparent irritation between my lips. What luck… 

Soon the reason behind this extravagant evening got revealed. 

Hot and loud, applauds shook the hall. The light of the cameras blinded my visual perception.

 Cheers had yet to stop after the brief introduction of the soon to be the bride of the enigmatic genius, the next head of the Olvera corporation; August Olvera. 

A long line formed as quickly as the flying flies, the congratulators surrounded their table. 

Marriage in rich families like a marriage in nobilities. A form to establish alliances, to strengthen wealth. 

Oh, then the only woman that sat around that table was his fiancée. 

If I could describe her, she was a real beauty, a long black hair slid behind her back, blue, sparkling eyes. The alluring red dress she wore accentuates her glamor. 

When she stood waving her right hand to all the guests after the revelation. Her other hand was locked into one of the old men that I didn't recognize… 

I guessed two things. 

That old man was her father. 

And she wasn't close to August at all. 

Their marriage announcement must have been decided by their parents. 

Throwing a side look to the star of this evening. At the rear of his fake smiles and the intense handshaking. I savored his dangling unhappiness. 

A quick sigh escaped my chest, I remember this jerk promiscuous conduct in the university. He had a lot of girls posing for his attention. I bet he never understood or educated himself about the meaning of the word commitment… or about the responsibilities of marriage.

I wasted a few more glances at the very much happy to be bride… How much I pity her… Then I jumped back to my feast. 

                      

 ***                                 *                             ***

After the departure of the press, the atmosphere turned calmer. Some important guests left the hall. But August Olvera and the other older man stayed in. While his father, the father of the future bride and the bride herself left. 

The incoming torrent of congratulations had yet to dry. 

Some meaningless chatting forcefully made its way to my ears. 

Except for us, the McCarthy, the remaining other figures weren't considered as powerful as the ones that left. Then it arrived at the moment that caused me to choke. 

My father, accompanied by my mother, addressed the direction towards the star of the evening. At first, I didn't give it much thought. It struck me as part of proper etiquette. 

Yet, following a deeper reflection and much complex analysis, my brain finally beat my stomach. From the saliva stimulating dishes, I tore my eyes away. The spoon that was half dug into my throat moved out. 

Only one question begged my mind for an explanation. Why did father choose this time to offer his congregation? Was he waiting for the path to clear? 

Of course not… Rather. He was waiting for the current head of the Olvera departure. 

The water glass placed in my right as I emptied it, though my thirst blazed. 

Letting myself submitted under the flame of curiosity. The exotic turbulent of the high society that I have forgotten rocked my internal peace. Far from the simplicity of the campus life that became a part of my daily routine, I have entered the abyss, more accurately I have returned to my reality, once I heard my mother's voice calling my name to introduce me to those renowned gentlemen.

Slowly, I pushed up my stuffed body. My eyes swallowed each inch that fell in their field. The food stuck at the entrance of my stomach when I witnessed my father sitting beside August Olvera, just like he was one of his close friends. 

A cluster of different subjects they talked about. My walk decelerated further to digest, better, the situation. 

I watched as my mother joined the conversation line and the big genius answered her inquiries like a student who eagerly wanted his teacher to be proud.

However, the aghast me only heard bunches of murmurs that didn't form a coherent meaning.

Since I reached the table, I concentrated more on gulping what was in my mouth in fear embarrassing not just my parents. Replying with a gorged mouth in front of this man. An insult I will never erase. Who knows, maybe he will also advertise it at the campus too.

"What are you working on now?" 

My father asked while his attention concentrates on me, observing me with the corner of his eyes. Standing, I halted. The hidden message translated well in my head. 

Inappropriate was my position while I found it more inappropriate to borrow a chair from a nearby table and squeeze my body between all those important people. So I kept still, like a counterfeit bodyguard. My gaze sought August. Eagerly, I waited for August's reply: 

"Well, I am majoring in finance and economics. I want to graduate with honor before I officially get a post in my grandfather's company." 

Oh, he said, "My grandfather's company." 

  The old man stood and called for me, offering his place. In a polite rejection, 

I waved with my hand, indicating that he didn't need to give me his seat. Simultaneously, I hurried to search around near other tables for a vacant chair.

 But the older man insisted, and I found myself embarrassed to affirm my refusal.

Only needed one glare from my mother before I shut my mouth, took his place, then passively participate in the conversation. 

my father, also, indirectly frowned at me with half face and smiled at August with the other half.

Am I spoiling some plan? 

What has appeared to be a shallow conversation, has resumed...

Mr. great babbling about his varied talents: 

"Before, I planned to major in translation and literature. But I changed my mind at the last minute."

"Yes, I heard that you mastered English, French, Spanish…"

"And Dutch, but I can't say that I really mastered this one." 

My head rested on my hand, the drowsiness conquered my eyelashes. The purpose of them calling out for my presence fused. 

By now, I hardly listened. My father mastered the art of slapping me awake to the subject. He said:

"To be honest, I want to invest in the import and export business. But as you know, our laws don't allow people affiliated with the military to have any activities outside of the army corps." 

The blood rushed into my head, making me awake after I dozed off due to the boredom, and a strike of realization of my father's objective in bringing me here hit my mind like a lightning. I corrected my posture by straightening my back and holding my chin in a lower position to not seem very eager.

"Of course, dear general, you can count on us." 

The old man who returned with a chair responded quickly, attempting to surpass the unpleasant face August has made, or so I thought. 

 My father responded with a wide smile. Even a blind one can tell that it was fake and just for courtesy.

  I stole a few glimpses to see the reaction on my mother's face. She mirrored the same fake smile my old man gave. I observed August perceive if his reaction has changed. I didn't understand why he was looking down at the empty plates. He then extended his arm to hold the glass of water and quaff it in one go.

                                                                                   ***    *          ***

The whole hall trembled under my feet. 

In a split second, I could exactly decipher what happened. 

Coming from outside, the sound of gunshots followed the earth-shaking. My father assured my mother's safety while I assured the other two. 

Screams and cries contributed to the severity of commotion.

The bodyguards intensified their presence and surrounded the periphery of the hall. My father gripped my shoulder and hissed in my ear: "Take your mother away."

Then he stormed toward the entrance of the hall alone.

I shifted position next to my mother, holding her hand, demanding to stay beside me no matter what. While I searched with my eyes in the middle of the chaos for the whereabouts of my sister and her fiancée.

A bodyguard approached us: "Please Madam this way…" 

I shielded her, making her stand behind me, and asked him: "What's going on? What caused this explosion? Why had I heard the sound of gun shooting?"

2