Deaf to All but The Song
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since he was born, he can’t hear a sound.

 

His parents noticed his disability at an early age. Unfortunately, this boy is different from any other average child. He can’t react to any voice and sound. 

Only his sense of sight, smell and touch that able to make him move. 

This boy diagnosed with deafness, and that will affect his life from today onwards.

 

But there’s an anomaly occurred at some point of his age. He’s reacting strongly towards a song, a piece of music.

The variation of melodies and musical tones really brighten up his world. At first, it’s so quiet and suffocating since he can’t perceive any sound nor voice like any other human would.

But thanks to this anomaly, he can learn words and even sing now.

Even his doctor can’t really explain why. The boy is supposed to be completely deaf. Yet, this bizarre phenomenon about him able to listen to the song is an unexplainable thing. 

 

But as long as the boy able to grasp the concept of sound, then his parents would be happy.

 

At least, he able is not completely deaf. There is hope for him to fully recover and enjoy the world of the voice.

That is the wish of his caring parents and the boy himself. He is eager to finally regain his hearing sense and live as any other people would.

Until he’s turning eighteen years old and still unable to hear anything except the song and music.

The boy is disheartened, seeing no hope about his deafness. All of these years, he’s experimented to discover what else he could sense with his pair of ears.

Aside from the melodies and the song, there’s nothing could be heard.

 

The sound of rains. 

Bird’s chirping

Dog’s barking. 

Car’s horn.

Thunderous lightning.

People shouting at each other.

Mass shooting.

A cat’s scream.

There is nothing.

 

The boy almost giving up, losing his hope to hear all kind of sound of this world. He hit his ears a few times until he satisfied to hurt himself.

Why I can’t hear?

Why I’m not born normal just like the others?

The good thing is, he got an unyielding determination to get cured and able to hear stuff aside from the song.

There is a final experiment he needs to try before he gives up entirely on his journey to listen to the world’s voice.

To do that, he steps inside the abandoned house and turns on the candle.

Its dim light penetrates the darkest corner of this room, illuminating two figures who stayed still on their place.

The boy walks closer with his headset hanging on his neck. He smiles as his gaze adapts with the darkness and meet the gaze of the others.

Realizing that a person is coming inside, the tied up woman’s eyes widen. Her mouth is moving frantically to say something. Perhaps it’s an angry expression of words, or it’s a plea of mercy instead.

 

The other one is on the top of a tank filled with clear water. The man got in a similar situation just like the woman—getting tied up and can’t move. He starts to cry as his mouth moving, saying something imperceptible for the boy.

 

Without further ado, the boy getting closer to the tank as he pushes a button. The foothold on the top of the tank opens as the man falls down and drowning immediately. He can’t believe his eyes as the boy is casually watching him unable to breathe underwater.

 

He moves his legs with all of his might so his body could slam onto the tank’s glass wall. Yet, it is futile for him to struggle.

 

The boy is thinking about that very sight. Silly me, there’s no way for a person to shout underwater. There’s impossible even for an ordinary person to hear that kind of voice.

Unamused, he’s leaving the drowning man for the tied up woman.

 

This time, the boy pouring a lot of fuel on the poor woman and set her up on fire like it was nothing.

There’s no time for her to react. All she can do is to shout due to her unbearable pain caused by the flame.

The boy observing the woman, trying to grasp at his best to listen to her scream.

 

Yet, there’s nothing.

His ears are unable to comprehend this scream of terror from the poor woman.

His tired gaze looking upon the man again as the said person releases his breath from his mouth. Perhaps it’s his last stock of air on his body?

Even a sight of drowning man trying to break away and woman on fire screaming in pain can’t make him able to hear something.

“Ah….”

Finally, the boy admits his defeat.

He put up his headset on his ears, grasping the only sound he can hear as the classical music plays soothing his heart.

0