Chapter 1: Guilty
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The courtroom was hectic and in an uproar as Jason Crenshaw awaited the final verdict from the judge. A verdict that would leave the twenty-one-year-old man with no hope for the future. The black haired youth was faced with life in prison, for a murder he did not commit.

"He didn't do it, he didn't do it! My boy is innocent!" his mother screamed at the top of her lungs, sobbing and flailing as she looked on in horror.

How did this happen to me? Jason thought. I didn't even know this man, so why... why am I sitting here right now? I just want to go home and sleep. Please, God, just let me go home today. I didn't kill anyone!

"Order in the court, order in the court!" the judge screamed, banging his gavel on his podium. "The jury has come to a verdict!" he said, as the twelve jurors walked into the courtroom.

Silenced quickly filled the room, as the crowd awaited the verdict. The room became so quiet, you could clearly hear the sounds of panting and frantic breaths throughout the room.

"Jason Crenshaw, the jury finds you guilty of murder, beyond a reasonable doubt. Your sentence will be life in prison," the judge said.

Jason's mind went blank as soon as those words left the judge's mouth. There were no words he could even ponder to describe his mind-state. Life in prison, for a murder that he did not commit. How did it come to this? Why did it come to this? The young man would likely never know, as he was handcuffed and taken away, never to be free again.

"My baby boy!" Jason heard the crackling voice of his mother cry out as he was carried out of the courtroom.

"Do you want to live? Do you want to be free?" Jason heard a soft voice call out to him, as he sat quietly in his holding cell.

"Huh, who's there? I must be going crazy already...," Jason said, as he lay in the fetal position on his hard, cold bed.

"You're not going crazy! I'm right here!" the voice called out again.

Before Jason's eyes revealed a small, fairy-like creature, looking like it was straight out of a video game he had played before. The small creature was fluttering about on its butterfly-like wings, smiling without a care in the world, greatly contrasting to Jason's cold and distant demeanor.

"What in the fuck is going on?" Jason said quietly, hoping not to cause a ruckus.

"Heehee, I asked you if you wanted to be free!" the fairy said once more. "You were framed for something really terrible here, and now your life is ruined, right? So, master told me to bring you to him! He says you'll make the perfect candidate! My name's Kep by the way!"

It took a while for Jason to respond to the fairy. His brain was still processing everything that happened to him over the last few months. Right after being convicted for murder, this fairy creature was offering him freedom? It had to be a dream. It was the only explanation for something so inconceivable. He pinched himself and even slapped himself across the face to make sure.

"T-this is real? H-how is this even possible? A creature like you isn't supposed to exist," Jason said, finally addressing the fairy.

"Oh, how rude! I'll just tell master you'd rather be held in captivity for the rest of your days! Such a shame. Master was really looking forward to meeting you, too." the fairy said in a rather sad tone.

"W-wait, please! I'm sorry, I'm just shocked by all of this. Who is this master, and where would you be taking me? Also, what will I be a candidate for?

"Now we're talking!" the fairy said cheerfully. "Master wants you to be his candidate for the summoning. In a land far away from here, I'm talking light years away, there's a realm unlike anything you can imagine! Magic, elves, fairies, ogres, witches, you name it! In the land of Jasper, the prospering nation seeks out young candidates throughout the cosmos, in order to grant them a new life!" the fairy explained.

"That sounds amazing and all, but why me?" Jason asked. "Out of all the people in the world, why choose me to grant a new life to?"

"The master could hear your sorrows. Your great despair reached him over a great distance, so he figured you must be the one!"

"The one? The one to do what exactly? I was just an average college student, until this bullshit happened to me! I'm a nobody. I can't be some grand hero that saves your world or anything like that! Trust me, I'm not the one, I'm sorry," Jason said, with a depressed tone.

"Oh, ok. I'll tell master you weren't interested then!" the fairy said.

You know what, fuck it.

"I'm the one, I'm the one! Whatever that means, I'm totally the one! Just get me out of this fucked up world!" the youth screamed at the top of his lungs, no longer caring about being a disturbance.

"Heehee, about time!" Kep giggled. "Ready, snap!" the small fairy snapped, and the scenery quickly changed before Jason's eyes. As the scenery changed, Jason heard a robotic voice in his head.

[Name: Jason Crenshaw]

[Class: N/A]

[Race: Human]

[HP: 20/20]

[Attack Power: 10]

[Defense: 5]

[Mana: 1]

[Agility: 5]

"Welcome to the land of Jasper, Jason," the voice said in its robotic tone.

 

1