Prologue
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I blinked rapidly as I left my small cottage home, the morning sun beating down on me. As my eyes became accustomed to the bright light I was able to look around. The corn field to my right has grown beautifully, tall elegant stalks nearly ready for harvesting.

"The crops will have an amazing harvest this year." said a soft voice coming from inside. She walked outside of the house, with her silvery hair flowing elegantly with the slight breeze. The bright light from the sun shining down to make her appear as if she was glowing.

"Did I wake you? You were still in bed when I got up, and I don't want you to over exert yourself." I said as I kissed her on the forehead and rubbed her protruding belly. 

"I'll be fine to do a little work," She proclaimed with a small chuckle, "there is still a lot to do after all."

"You know, you should be getting ready for the baby. She could come any day now."

"We'll be prepared for her, and you shouldn't worry too much, cause I know what kind of birth it will be, remember?"

"Yes, I know. Now shall we get to work? As you said there's a lot to do today."

"Yes, let's." She said while smiling with her gorgeous smile.

So we started our work day, tending to the chickens and goats we had in our small barn. Today was bath day for them and we played along with the goats while giving them a nice warm wash. We tended to the crops just watering them down making sure they stayed ready for the harvest in a few days time. The sun was in the middle of the sky now, clearly indicating it was mid day.
                                                                                                      PAGE 71

---------------------------------------------

"Honey! Time for food!" I yelled into the gardens, but surprisingly there was only silence. "Honey?" I yelled out again. Still no response. I started to wonder if she just couldn't hear me so I went further out closer to the fields where we both just were. 

"Honey? You out here?" I yelled out as far as my voice could go, and still nothing. At this point I started to worry, what happened in the short time between us watering the plants and me going towards the house. It was at this point I heard something, a deep hum coming from deep into the field. I ran towards the sound in hopes it would lead me to her. 

I sprinted through the fields, the corn leaves whipping my face as I sped by. After running through the fields for what felt like 5 minutes I came across a clearing. I looked around and spotted her.

"Calli! Are you okay? Can you hear me?" I yelled at her.

"Ugh... Orpheus is that you dear?" She groaned while reaching her hand towards me, her eyes losing color.

"It's me, I'm here, what's going on? I asked her

"Oh yes, I knew this day would come." She said rather calmly

"What do you mean you knew? You seem like you're dying!"

I reached for her hand, and held onto it making sure she knew I was there. 

"Orpheus, I haven't been completely honest to you about who and what I am." She said seemingly without moving her mouth, as if she had spoken directly into my mind.

"The name I was given from birth was The Demon of the Future. I'm sure you've heard the name before." 

"Yes I know it, but you mean to tell me I fell in love with a demon..."

"Yes my dear, but there is a secret to this world. One the world itself doesn't want anyone to kno-"

As she was speaking, grey tendrils sprouted from the ground violently and grabbed hold of her while flinging me to the other side of the clearing. 

"Ah, so you have been keeping an eye on me Yehiri, it's been a long time since we've had a chat..." Calli said as she got dragged into the ground by the tendrils that held her.
                                                                                                      PAGE 72

---------------------------------------------

I sat there bewildered by the events that just unfolded in front of my own eyes, my wife was a demon, and she was about to tell me something seemingly extremely important. Yet something, I don't know what, did not want that secret to come out.

So I stayed there, for days I stayed there not allowing a shred of doubt in my mind to say she wasn't coming back. Yet it seemed hopeless. She was gone, in an instant taken away.

It's been months, and yet everyday I return to the clearing where she disappeared to see if something would show itself.

On the 3rd month and 18th day there it was, a baby, a very young baby. I was confused, how and why would a baby show up in this clearing. That was when it hit me, this must be, but that must be a crazy thought. However the more I thought about it, and the more I looked at this baby, the more they resembled her. This was our child, there was no doubt, from the silvery hairs on its head being hers, and the deep icy blue eyes from me. 

I took the child with me, she was very much a lively one. I named her Mirai Calliope Valphyra after her mother, who still never appeared before me after that day.

We lived together on the small farm for a few months when my sister randomly showed her face in town for the first time in 12 years. Her fiery red hair still blazing brightly with her confident strides. 

"I believe I know what has occurred here Orpheus, you don't have the means to take care of what that child is." She proclaimed as she approached my home.

While I hardly knew what she was talking about, I was in no way in the position to argue with her on that. I don't even know what the child even is in the first place.

"What do you mean by, "what that child is" Aina?" I asked her seriously

"That child is the product of a demon who regained its emotions, and a human who loved that demon. It's what we call in the magic world, a half-demon." She explained to me "We don't know why demons of that nature don't appear often, and this is the only case I've heard of in the records for the last 700 years. We also don't know what a half-demon is capable of. So brother, please let me take care of this child in your stead." 

She asked so suddenly, before I could even wrap my head around all the information she had just given me. However, I need to make a decision, and all logic is telling me I shouldn't press Aina into forcing me to give her this child. I have no means to take care of something so potentially dangerous. Yet it is still my child and I should think of the best for it.

"Aina, rather than you ask me, I implore you, take care of this child, my child. Her mother was a kind soul, and I fear I might not be able to take care of her to an appropriate extent. So Aina, please take her off my hands, and treat her how you would any other human being!" I exclaimed to my sister. If I were to give up my own child, I would only do so knowing my sister would treat her just like any other child.

"Very well brother, and well said! I will raise her to be just like how her mother was. Kind, nature loving, and nurturing, I wouldn't have it any other way." 

                                                                                                 PAGE 73

---------------------------------------------

I finally write in here again, it's been many years since Aina took my daughter away. I wonder how she is doing. Sometimes I wonder if I should write a letter to her, but it would likely never reach her. I do also wonder if my daughter would have been happier staying with me, but that's unlikely. I've become nothing but a good for nothing old coot of a man. Staying in this same old cottage home until it's rotting away. Likely it'll be my time soon. I would've loved to see my dear daughter again, if only just one more time.

                                                                                                      PAGE 74

---------------------------------------------

"Oh father," She whispered quietly after finishing the pages in the diary "I'm sorry for not returning here earlier, I should've come to see you." The girl stood up, looking upwards towards the heavens while streams of tears rolled down her face.

"If I had known I would've been this late, I would've come 70 years earlier." She said eyes full of tears.

Angrily and teary eyed the girl looked down at the diary entry once more and while wiping the tears from her face proclaimed, 

"Whoever mother was, she had answers about what's going on with the demons. I will find those answers, and help the other demons."

0