Chapter 32: A JOB WELL DONE
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sam startled awake, trying to shake off the sensation of searing flesh. Darkness surrounded him as his eyes tried to focus on anything. His mind cleared a moment later and his last living moments replayed quickly in his head. He tried to move but found himself unable. Déjà vu washed over him as he thought back to the first time he awoke to these odd circumstances. He had only passed out that time and was brought here to speak with the archangel Michael. Sam could only hang in limbo, awaiting the angel’s arrival. As he waited, he replayed his last choice in his head. No matter which angles he chose to view it from, he ended with the same conclusion. He had to die to keep the Soulmonger from continuing its advancement and eventual reign of terror. Nagging thoughts pulled at him as he considered his actions. Is there a chance the Soulmonger survived? A chance the demon inhabited one of his teammates’ bodies to escape death. He pushed those thoughts away. He had made the right choice. It made sense in the moment and logic supported it now. But then Alannah’s face just before the end filled up his mind and a deep sorrow overtook him. It was the right choice, but I hurt the one I love to do it. He didn’t have time to ponder on his actions for too long before the faint white glow appeared in front of his vision again. Similar to the first time, it expanded and brightened threatening to overwhelm and blind him. A figure emerged from the light, and the brightness retreated to a tolerable level. Michael stood before him again in his resplendent armor.

            “You did well Samuel.” Michael said in Sam’s mind.

            “Is it done? The Soulmonger died with me?” Sam thought urgently.

            “The demon did indeed perish with your leap into the lava.” Michael confirmed. Relief washed through Sam’s body with the knowledge that his gambit had worked.

            “Well, what now? I mean, I died, right?”

            “You did die, Samuel. But this is where things get complicated. You sacrificed your life to stop the Soulmonger. Your sacrifice was made willingly to save those known to you but also those that are unknown. There is no more selfless an act than to give your life for someone else.” Michael paused a moment. “Had this been your final moments on Earth, you would have transcended directly to Heaven. But because you were already on Eternity’s Gate, your soul can’t bypass this world and move directly into heaven. You will actually be diverted to an aligned gate of transference.”

            “So, then I’m not truly dead. I’ll just be some normal guy entering Eternity’s Gate?”

            “This is also complicated. You will re-enter Eternity’s Gate. But you will maintain the soul strength that you died with. You will return as a tempered soul.” Michael paused again after this announcement. As Sam considered this, his emotions were split. On one hand, he was elated that he would be able to return and see Alannah again. On the other hand, he was so close to seeing his family. More time on Eternity’s Gate gave him the chance to mess it up and keep him out of Heaven for good.

            “Wait. Am I going to lose my memories?” Sam asked with hesitation as fear permeated his thoughts.

            “No. One of our gifts to you. You will retain your memories as a thank you for defeating the Soulmonger.” Michael said. Sam again felt relief fill him.

            “Okay. I can do that. I can go back to Eternity’s Gate and try to keep living right. But you said, ‘one of our gifts’.”

            Michael nodded at him. “We cannot do enough to thank you for the sacrifices that you have made. We felt that another reward was in order. You will make a small detour before emerging from the gate. I do not believe we will see each other again like this, Samuel. All life on Eternity’s Gate and Earth owes you a debt of gratitude, I hope this starts to repay the debt.” With that, Michael faded back into the darkness, but Sam continued to hang in the blackness.

Another light started to emerge, and Sam could suddenly feel his body again. His feet felt like they were on solid ground, but everything remained as darkness around him. This new light did not become as overwhelming and eventually faded, revealing Lucas and Bard. Sam smiled with joy. Lucas and Bard matched his sentiment. Lucas hugged Sam as they laughed.

“I’m sorry.” Sam said after their initial greeting. “I’m sorry I couldn’t save you both.”

“There is nothing to be sorry about, Sam. I am grateful for the time we spent as brothers.” Lucas said.

“I think you were just being a dick when you didn’t save me.” Bard said, grinning. “You knew that Alannah would eventually realize I was the better choice.”

“I’m gonna miss you. Mostly Lucas but you a little bit too, Bard.” Sam quipped back. The three of them spoke for a few minutes and both gave parting words for Sam to give to the team and to Alannah. Sam could feel the end of their time together approaching.

“I’m sorry you died, but I am thrilled that you’re home now.” Sam said smiling.

“Us too. Look after the team and look after my sister.” Lucas said, embracing Sam in another hug. Bard extended his hand, but Sam pulled him close and hugged him as well. They bid each other farewell and they faded back into the blackness. Sam smiled, thankful for the chance to see his friends again. He now prepared himself for his return to Eternity’s Gate as feeling left his body again.

Sam was unsure of how much time had passed. Suddenly, sensation returned to him again. He felt himself lowered to stand on a hard surface. He could feel the blackness around him start to ripple likes waves in a pond. Each ripple replaced the blackness with the beginnings of color. Suddenly, the entire environment was materializing like a camera trying to focus. He found himself in the master bedroom of his old house. He was standing next to the bed he had shared with his wife. He ran his hand over the quilt they had used as a comforter. He looked around the room and found that everything was how it had been before he lost them. A few tears started to well around the corners of his eyes. He turned from the room to the doorway, planning on moving into the rest of the house. Sam pulled up suddenly, emotion swelling up inside him, threatening to burst. Standing in the doorway was his family. Tears started to pour down his face as he looked upon their beautiful faces. His wife stood smiling back at him, a hand around the shoulders of his two children. Sam couldn’t move. He couldn’t accept that this was real; that it wasn’t just another dream of his that would end in tragedy. His son and daughter leapt from their mother’s grasp, plowing into Sam, and hugging him tightly. He tried to see them through his tear-filled eyes. He squeezed them back, kissing their heads. He felt as though he would never let them go again. He could hear them speaking and feel their arms around him. His wife stepped forward and joined the group hug. He wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her close. How long had it been since he held her like this? He stayed in this moment for what seemed like hours, unwilling to release them and chance losing them again. They were as content as he was staying like this, no one speaking up or rushing the moment. Eventually, Sam pulled back from the embrace and looked all three of them up and down. They looked exactly like he remembered them. Even though it had been close to a year, the kids hadn’t grown at all. He looked to his daughter.

“Hey angel bear.” He said, remembering how he used to greet her.

“Hey papa bear.” She said in response. Both kids squeezed him tighter. Then his son looked up at him. “Hey, Bob the Butler.”

“Hey, Petey the popsicle.” Sam said back. He then turned toward his wife. Taking her in. His beautiful, amazing wife.

“How is this possible?” Sam asked, tears still choking his voice slightly.

“Michael told us it was a reward,” his wife said, still smiling. “We’ve been able to watch over you and we are so proud of you.” They embraced again for another long moment. All four of them climbed onto the bed and sat around talking. Sam wasn’t sure how much time passed. He tried to ask them questions about Heaven and how things worked but most of the answers were vague and eventually his wife told him he will just have to find out for himself someday. He started to apologize for his relationship with Alannah, but his wife stopped him. She gave a similar explanation that Azuriel had those weeks ago. Heaven’s love is different than anything you can even imagine. She was just happy that he had found a way to be happy again. That awkwardness past, the group spent a lot of the time talking about Sam’s life over the past few months. They didn’t dwell long on the eight months he had spent on Earth after their passing and mainly focused on his arrival to Eternity’s Gate. When all the conversation had ended, Sam just sat there holding his wife’s hand and staring at his beautiful family. Pure joy permeated every part of his soul, and he was truly at peace.

“It is time Samuel.” Michael’s voice filled Sam’s mind. Sam nodded in understanding, knowing that he couldn’t remain in this moment forever. His family seemed to understand this as well and they pulled close to him again.

“We love you.” His wife said, leaning forward for a kiss. “We will see you again.”

“I love you.”

With that, his family started to fade from view, and he was eventually put back into the vegetative state of hanging in the darkness.

“Good Luck, Samuel.” Michael’s voice said one last time in his mind. Sam felt his body get thrown backward again until he opened his eyes. He was standing under an archway made of pure white marble. Behind him was a shimmering portal and in front of him stood an angel.

“Welcome to Eternity’s Gate.”

THE END

0