Dorms & Students (V.1 Ch.1.3)
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~~~(POV: Scott Cassidy)~~~

~~~(Location: Entering Lobby, 1st Year Dorm Building, Optimum Island)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 15th, 4:14 PM, 2020)~~~

~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~

The sliding doors swiftly open on my approach. The voices of other first-years echo in my direction, and some people are mixing in the lounge. Different classes from what I can see.

It's not like we're forbidden from talking with other classes. It's a good thing. The more people you know, the better the class is off.

It's my nature to avoid such gatherings, but I must abide by the first rule as much as anyone.

Adapt or perish.

My system does indeed make it impossible to beat me one on one. But I'm not invincible. I'm not all-knowing. Despite the gifts I've gotten from the system, there are limits to what I can do alone.

As I enter the lounge, the people talking are all unknown. I recognize some faces from my class, but we haven't introduced ourselves yet.

Another task the university wants us to handle on our own.

"Does anyone want to shop with me for new clothes and things for our rooms? I want to see these Personal Points in action."

A rather pretty girl with neck-length black hair starts convincing the girls she's talking with to join her. They waste no time passing me and leaving the lobby. As my attention turns back to the majority, a commotion is beginning.

"What makes you think you stand a chance against our class? You're class E, and we're class B. You know, as much as I do, that shit the teachers said was nothing but smoke."

The boy in question is slightly taller and more built than most people. His light brown hair contrasts his almost yellow eyes. His voice is arrogant and unreasonable.

His conversation is with a girl. He's getting in her head, from what I can see.

He's trying to play on the fact that her class is indeed ranked lower than his despite not having made any Merit Points this year.

"That's quite arrogant. You're talking as if you're going to crush my class. You have no idea what I'm capable of or any of my classmates."

She does an impressive job hiding her bubbling frustration. Her voice is confident and holds an air of certainty. One that will undoubtedly have a strong influence on her class. As their conversation continues to go back and forth, I use this chance.

[Analytical Vision (Locked): Activated.]

---[Information On Target]---

[Justin Dermell] [Lvl. 58]

[Average Stats: 52.5]

[Attitude: Entertained, Joyous]

[Personality: Self-conceited almost to a fault. His inflated sense of self forces him to seldom work with others. Believing them to be below him.]

[Depth: Justin Dermell is nineteen and a genuinely gifted individual when it comes to almost anything. His arrogance is well-earned. He comes from an extended family of wealthy politicians. Very vigilant for potential enemies and allies.]

[Class Affiliation: Class 1-B]

[Gained permanent insight into thoughts and feelings of Justin Dermell.]

That's one of the highest levels I've seen on someone besides me. The highest level I've seen was 104, dwarfed by my level of 390.

[Justin Dermell greatly enjoys the effect of his words.]

My eyes slightly shift to the girl he's antagonizing. Her features make her stand out among those around her. Almost white hair and a subtle grey amongst the blue in her eyes.

[Analytical Vision (Locked): Activated.]

---[Information On Target]---

[Sarah Willmock] [Lvl. 49]

[Average Stats: 45.5]

[Attitude: Annoyed, Irritated]

[Personality: A skillful girl that's more ambitious than most. She doesn't like working with others. One of the best among the first years, and she'll tell you.]

[Depth: Sarah Willmock is the first of her family to achieve anything close to college-level education. Let alone Optimum University. She won't let anyone or anything stand in her way from being the best.]

[Class Affiliation: Class 1-E]

[Gained permanent insight into thoughts and feelings of Sarah Willmock.]

[Sarah Willmock is annoyed by the superior attitude of Justin Dermell.]

Two unique and high leveled individuals. According to the system. I can tell this is going somewhere I don't want to be near. I look toward another group and see them hanging around the vending machine.

Their phones are out as they purchase food with their Personal Points. I make my way over and pull out my phone. Selecting a Pepsi and a bag of cookies.

The Pepsi cost two points, and the bag of cookies was three points.

Based on this, Personal Points represent real money equal to value. But that should be tested more. Perhaps his vending machine is cheaper than I'm being led to believe. As the crack of the can greets me, eyes look at me.

They're two boys and a girl. All of them are from my class. I remember their faces. One of them takes a breath and is about to speak.

"I saw you in our class. I'll make my introduction quick. I'm Henry Jones."

Mr. Jones has a softer voice that'll draw in others easily. He's average height, and his dark brown hair and brown eyes make him blend in with a crowd.

This is their first time meeting based on how they're acting around each other. He holds out his hand to me, expecting a handshake. A moment passes, and I take it.

"Scott Cassidy."

These are a strange bunch. My tone of voice doesn't seem to bother them. It's not like a lot of people are bothered by it. Only people that are on guard are turned off by my voice.

The girl of this group of three decides this is the time to introduce herself too.

"I'm Juliet Vega. It's nice to meet all of you. I look forward to my first year with you guys!"

She's unusually positive. Her gentle voice has a sweet edge, and her bright blue eyes make her stand out with her natural golden hair. I'd say she'll be breaking many hearts.

My attention turns to the third member and second boy.

"I'm Victor Desmov. But my friends just call me Vic. I hope that we can all become good friends."

He's taller than most boys our age, and his Russian origins are evident in his features. His voice isn't Russian. It's perfect English and straightforward. A tone of pleasantness mixed in. His black hair and steel-blue eyes are clearly unique.

Hearing all their introductions makes mine sound more machine than human.

Adapt or perish.

"It's nice to meet all of you. I apologize for my poorer introduction. Never been one to make an early impact on others."

The understanding smiles that form on their features makes it clear their not a threat to me. They're all followers and not leaders. That much I can see without using Analytical Vision.

It's a Skill I use sparingly. Not because I have limited uses or a drawback. Always relying on the system isn't a hole I want to fall into. Since middle school, I've done my best to rely on it less and less.

While it's impossible to stop automatic functions like Exp gain and level-ups, I can choose whether or not to use a Skill. It's not automated.

Wish I could say the same for my Stats. I choose where the points go, but I can't limit the power of them to blend in. I haven't slipped up before; it's a situation I don't want to deal with.

"Aww, no need to say you're sorry. We're all new here and in the same boat. How about we go to the mall to get to know each other better?"

Juliet's offer instantly interests the two boys. I wouldn't be surprised if one ends up falling for the girl. They immediately accept Juliet's offer with excited voices, but I've yet to answer.

"I won't be joining you. I want to familiarize myself with my dorm and floormates. However, I'll offer up my email and phone number if you want."

A student email and phone number have been given to everyone. They all pull out their phones quickly and start giving each other their emails and phone numbers. Taking this opportunity to do so since I brought it up.

My new...

Friends?

Take off for the exit, and leave me at the vending machine. Most people in the room are either leaving or getting ready. I go for the exit and to the elevator. I pull out my phone and see the information attached to my room.

I'm on the 7th floor, room 85.

As the elevator is about to close, someone reaches their arm in and stops it from closing. Forcing it to open. The arm is slender, but it's developed where muscles are located.

Once the person is inside, the scent of perfume takes over. That seals my assumption of them being female. We're alone in the elevator as it closes. The girl stands out in ways unique to her.

She's a bottle-blond. A shade of almost perfect yellow, but dark roots make themselves known. She has a light brown and green mixture in her pupils.

She stands next to me silently as she presses her floor button.

8th.

"Are you just going to stand there, or will you introduce yourself?"

Her voice has a calm energy to it. You can sense the confidence in her words. I've already talked with others today. Perhaps even made friends. It wasn't in the plans, but it's part of being in this school.

I'm half tempted to use Analytical Vision on her. When I look into her eyes, there is something there. A sort of deception. A betrayal that lies there. Waiting to be unleashed. How so, I don't know.

"You first."

The neutrally dead voice that responds to her seems to pique her interest. What reason her interest is piqued? I don't know. I could find out, but I want to see where this leads.

A small sigh escapes from her, and she looks at her reflection in the elevator door. We're on the third floor already, according to the elevator.

"I'm Olivia Bellcoar. Class 1-G. I missed orientation and the first meeting of my class. Just got here; I was given a lift here by one of the staff at the administration building."

The teachers and faculty get around the campus using carts. The campus size is almost 860,000 square meters. The island itself is just over one million.

She's telling the truth.

Partially.

I don't care if she's lying to me or not. People have their reasons for hiding the truth. I don't dig either. Her eyes turn from the reflection in the elevator door. We're passing the 5th floor now.

She's waiting for me to reciprocate the introduction.

"Scott Cassidy. Class 1-G."

She looks at me with surprise. The coincidence isn't lost on me. Out of all the students she could've hopped into the elevator with, a classmate from a class she hasn't been to yet is low.

"Wow. What are the odds of that, huh!"

There is an edge of elated amusement in her words. Not loud or noisy by any means. Only showing through her voice that she's taking this to memory.

After a few moments of silence, the elevator door opens on my floor. I step out without a word and start walking forward. The elevator begins closing behind me.

Right before it's stopped again.

"Are you going to say goodbye?"

No.

But I do turn around to look at Ms. Bellcoar. Willing Analytical Vision to tell me what I want to know. There is something off when I look at her. A part of her I should know more about.

[Analytical Vision (Locked): Activated.]

---[Information On Target]---

[Olivia Bellcoar] [Lvl. 38]

[Average Stats: 34.3]

[Attitude: Curious, Cynical, Uncontent]

[Personality: A serial cheater and seducer targeting popular or powerful boys only to destroy them. She gives false love and takes real love in exchange.]

[Depth: Olivia Bellcoar is a girl of nineteen with complex practices. Being fit, sociable, and warm is part of her charm to lure in men similar to the man that's harmed her in the past. She manifests her deep pain and resentment by bestowing the actions taken against her on others like him.]

[Class Affiliation: Class 1-G]

[Gained permanent insight into thoughts and feelings of Olivia Bellcoar.]

That's a unique bundle of information.

She could prove useful...

All I need is to wait for the time and place. Someone with her motives and skills will help me control the men who lead my class or other classes in our year.

She looks at me from the opened elevator door and waits for a response.

Instead of saying anything, I turn away from her and begin walking to my door. Open air, a view on my left, and a line of doors on my right.

[Olivia Bellcoar is intrigued.]

[+5 points to your relationship with Olivia Bellcoar.]

[Current relationship (Strangers) level with Olivia Bellcoar: 25/100]

As I open the door to my dorm, the elevator closes.

She'll find nothing in me.

No love to take.

No love to receive from me.

She may be intrigued now, but that'll disappear as she tries to dig into me.

Still, a girl like her would be a powerful method to control others. A beauty of the fairer sex that can control and manipulate anyone I need her to that's opposite her gender. Push comes to shove; I can manipulate her into destroying any enemies I make.

And I'll be making enemies.

A unique trump card to have.

Most men would go running in the opposite direction, knowing the truth about a girl like Olivia. But this school will force you to work with people you don't like, don't approve of, or can't stand.

The real question I have is...

How does she plan to hide her true nature deeper into the years? Surely, people will learn who she really is.

Would I be inclined to protect her nature without her knowledge? The less people know about it, the better it is for me to use it against them.

These are things I can debate on later. For now, I'll be like everyone else. A new student whose settling into his first year at Optimum University.

My door shuts behind me, and I step into my dorm. It's more like a studio apartment than it is a dorm. It has a private full bathroom, a bed, closets, a full refrigerator, and a full kitchen.

All it's lacking is a washer and dryer.

There isn't anything to prepare for since nothing has developed yet. For now, I can relax and enjoy some time alone. Later tonight, I'll make my way to the mall. They have several stores that sell everything a student would come looking for.

~~~(POV: Olivia Bellcoar)~~~

~~~(Location: Dorm Room, 1st Year Dorm Building, Optimum Island)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 15th, 5:56 PM, 2020)~~~

~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~

The hot shower ends, and I use a fresh towel to dry my hair and body. The steam from the hot water has built up on the mirror, forcing me to wipe it clean. As I look at myself, all I can see is who he's made me become.

There are a lot of guys throughout this school that are just like him. I'll do what I've learned to do from his treatment of me.

They'll give me their love.

Just like I did to him.

Then, I'll give them fake love.

Just as he did to me.

Once they're entirely in love with me and deeply trust me. That's when I'll share my pain with them.

Show them and teach them what a betrayal like that feels like. They'll deserve it.

"Tomorrow, we'll see who stands out. Who is like him."

The words leave me, and the movement of my lips in the mirror matches my words.

This is only the beginning.

Where my sole desire begins.

0