A Victim (V.1 Ch.1.6)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~~~(POV: Duncun Cassidy)~~~

~~~(Location: Cafeteria, Education Building, Optimum Island)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 16th, 11:49 AM, 2020)~~~

~~~(Age: 21 Years)~~~

The voices of Roger and Allison continue to bicker behind me. The combative and energetic tones in both their voices show how hard they're fighting against one another.

"Oh, you're such an idiot, Roger! Why would we focus on classes C and D when B will swing at us in the coming weeks!? There is no incentive to focus on them!!"

"Of course, you'd say that, Ally. You think the greatest threat is the class right behind us. But the lower classes are far more dangerous! They're willing to risk way more than class B at the start of the year! All the Merit Points have reset, and this is their chance!"

It's not an unfamiliar argument they've had. I remember the one they had from last year. There might always be a conflict between them, but out of all my classmates in class 3-A. Roger and Allison are the only ones I call true allies.

Someone out of the three of us should focus on the threats in the lower years. Not that I've ever focused on the lower years before.

Now that Scott is finally here, it's safe to assume he's already starting moves against me. Just as I am him. Securing information on his classmates hasn't been too difficult; I've already spent 460,000 Personal Points doing so.

A good chunk of funds that would've been useful in other endeavors. Sadly, I know what Scott is truly capable of. That boy is a monster.

Jennifer is the only one in the family with any real connection with Scott. She's the only real weakness he has. I don't like that I'll have to eventually use Jen to expel Scott. In the end, it might be the only solution.

"Why can't you just admit that your priorities are wrong?! It's not gonna kill you, and it's better if we focus on class 3-B. They're our greatest threat!!"

"The only reason we should focus on class B is because you want to, Roger!"

The frustration the two have with one another is making itself clear. I wish they'd do this somewhere that wasn't by me.

Allison and Roger won't get anywhere anytime soon. Instead of listening to this bickering, I walk over to the railing and look out over the atrium. Thousands of students are getting lunch already.

Among them are the first years that I'm thinking about. Scott is my main concern this year and for the foreseeable future until he's expelled. There is no option other than getting him removed from campus.

I shut my eyes and take a breath. I've already got a contact in class 1-G and an informant. As long as I pay them 5000 Personal Points a month, she'll keep me apprised of what Scott is up to.

Until after the first Assignment Competition in one month, I won't be able to move against Scott. I don't like sitting by and waiting; unfortunately, I don't have a choice in the matter. The school doesn't allow expulsion attempts until Merit Points have been rewarded.

A few minutes pass, I open my eyes again. My thoughts are in order after tuning out the noise and distractions. As I'm about to turn around, someone decides to join me. Standing next to me while looking over the atrium.

"Just so you know, I'm not getting between Scott and you. I won't be forced to pick a side."

The soft and gentle voice of Jen makes itself known. I look at her, and she has a steeled look in her eyes. Using her to eliminate Scott will be difficult, but not impossible.

For now, I won't worry about it. I've wondered for a very long time why she cares about Scott so much. He's a machine that feels nothing. Cares about nothing.

Except her...

So I guess I can see why she cares about him. It's because despite everything monstrous about Scott, out of everyone in the world, he cares about her. Even if it's a nearly empty feeling. I know my brother, and I know my sister.

"Don't worry. This is between Scott and me. I won't drag you into it. But don't be surprised if Scott does. I'm betting he's already asked about me."

Her eyes narrow, and she bites her bottom lip in slight anger. Turns out I'm right about that. The only way I can get Jen is to turn her against Scott. Plant the seeds of doubt.

If I can get her to think Scott is using her, that brings her closer to my side of this battle. I know I can't beat Scott without Jen. That's what makes me different from my classmates.

What makes me strong is simple.

I don't have the pride others have blinding me.

Scott is superior to me. Physically. Academically. He has no obvious weaknesses. Knowing this difference between us will help me.

I pity the people in his class and year. They'll find out that someone is influencing everything from the background.

"I'm only going to say this once, Duncun. You're both my brothers, and I love you guys. But if you or Scott force me to choose. You'll both become my enemy."

That takes me by surprise; I turn my head to her and raise my eyebrows. I see no lies or uncertainty in her voice. Her features. Nothing to show that what she's saying isn't the truth.

"As I said, Jennifer. You don't have to worry. This is between brothers. This goes beyond involving you."

She doesn't look entirely convinced, but it's enough to get her to leave. She sighs and takes off. I've taken a long time to craft the sincerity in my voice. Connections and friends are more important than individual power here.

This is the only place in the world I can think of where you will need allies to survive.

That's a function of Scott that's broken, for now. While he's completely devoid of any real feelings. He's highly adaptable and evolves at a rapid rate. He will change to suit the environment he's in.

Based on what my informant said, he's already made three friends. On his first day, after going his whole life without them. Proof in the pudding that he's changing to thrive here.

"Why were you even born..."

I've never thought of Scott as a brother... Whatever came out of Mother that day devoured my little brother. From the moment he was born, he was a monster.

~~~(POV: Scott Cassidy)~~~

~~~(Location: Cafeteria, Education Building, Optimum Island)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 16th, 12:06 PM, 2020)~~~

~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~

The third-year student I found proved to know some of the information I needed. Being from a different class in his year made it impossible to learn everything about Duncun, but I've got a good start.

His closest allies are a man named Roger Berk and Allison Harlen. The third year I spoke with was curious about why I was interested in such an average student like Duncun. He didn't know Duncun as I do.

Likely only the school and his closest allies know his true capabilities. He's indeed a gifted individual, but that's not nearly enough to defeat me.

I'm on my way out of the cafeteria with thoughts and plans running through my head. After a few minutes, I'm in a part of the education building with little security and no cameras. I'm enjoying the silence.

Enjoying my plans.

But it's interrupted by shouts and cursing.

"What the fuck do you think you're up to, you fuckhead!! Talking to Olivia isn't something an ugly fat shit like you should be doing! Stay away from her!!"

"Olivia wouldn't waste her time on a shitstain like you!"

"No one in this school above a 3 out of 10 would be interested in a fat shit like you!!"

There are three distinct voices ahead.

I'm guessing from the shouts I hear around the corner. Olivia is already starting problems. The information I got on her with Analytical Vision is starting to crop up in little ways. Olivia doesn't seem the type to move so quickly.

I had assumed how she'd hide herself, and she's not an idiot. That much was made clear by the information I got.

The logical conclusion is these guys have testosterone running through them, and a beautiful girl like Olivia is stoking the hormones.

I lean against the corner and listen to what's happening. Staying out of view.

"I'm sorry! I was just being friendly! I didn't know she already had a boyfriend! I wouldn't have talked to her if I knew she didn't want me to!!"

"You ugly fuck!!"

The sounds of smacking and impacts are heard. After a couple of seconds. It stops, and the laughter and curses from the three boys come to life as they walk away.

Once they're gone, the cries of sorrow from the one they attacked become apparent. Seems a lot of people have a brutal streak in them. Applying to Optimum means you have something inside that's a little off.

What I just listened to is proof of that. They were voices from my class. It seems something is already developing.

Instead of standing here listening, I turn the corner and approach the kid. He's in my class, and his name is Michael Winrrow. He was very timid and nervous, from what I remember.

His crying doesn't stop even as I stand in front of him. His face is buried in his hands as he's keeled over on the dirty floor.

"The cruelty of weak and insecure men is vicious."

He jerks slightly at the sound of my cold and empty voice. Eternal neutrality is heard in my words. His head lifts as he sniffles. He's indeed a good deal overweight. Not to mention shorter than your average man.

It takes him a moment to dry his eyes, and he hesitantly looks at me.

"Are you going to beat me up because you like Olivia too..."

He sounds so very weak.

That's when I take this moment of silence to use Analytical Vision and gain information on him for the first time.

[Analytical Vision (Locked): Activated.]

---[Information On Target]---

[Michael Winrrow] [Lvl. 23]

[Average Stats: 19.7]

[Attitude: Scared, Angry, Upset]

[Personality: A very weak-minded individual, this has caused a massive inferiority complex to develop. Easily manipulated and will be controlled through fear.]

[Depth: Michael Winrrow is nineteen years old. While his test scores are slightly above average, that's the only thing going for Michael. His severe bullying has caused him to become almost obese and a victim of anyone who shows violence toward him. He's never known what it's like to have a friend.]

[Class Affiliation: 1-G]

[Gained permanent insight into thoughts and feelings of Michael Winrrow.]

The silence he's met with after his question makes him uneasy. My eyes bore into his as I take in all the information I just learned. I could use Analytical Vision to find specific information, but someone like Michael doesn't demand such things.

I don't have a problem with people being weak.

It's staying weak; that's a problem.

I don't care about Michael, but he could become a loyal and useful tool for me. I've done such things before. Using a weak person like Michael.

They're effective in areas popular kids aren't, such as going unnoticed or uncared about. Those have great benefits that those in the spotlight don't know about.

[Michael Winrrow is uneased about how you're staring at him.]

"Olivia may be physically beautiful, but such things can, and will be, only skin deep."

[Michael Winrrow is confused about why you're being so cryptic.]

[Michael Winrrow doesn't understand what you're talking about.]

The tortured young man seems naive to the nature of such a woman. But to be fair, Olivia isn't someone who makes her nature obvious. She's already fooled people. Guys are getting into fights with each other over her.

No one else in the world can see into the minds and emotions of others as I can. As of now, no one knows Olivia's true nature.

"Umm, I don't exactly know what you mean by that..."

There is a fear at the edge of his voice. Still convinced that he's about to get beat up. Instead of saying anything, I hold my hand out to the boy. He flinches at first, but after seeing I'm helping him up. He takes my hand.

I help him to his feet and lightly smack his shoulder. Looking down at his from since he's shorter. Around 5'5 and 200 pounds.

[Michael Winrrow is confused about why you're helping him.]

[Michael Winrrow is thankful for the kindness.]

[Current relationship (Strangers) level with Michael Winrrow: 45/100]

He has a very high initial level in the first category of relationships, (Strangers.) He's either extremely dependent on another person's kindness or needs help to compensate for his weakness.

Possibly both.

"Why are you helping me."

There isn't fear in his voice anymore. Only timidness as he looks down at the ground. This is a perfect chance to gain a puppet. Someone that can help me with my plans. A pawn that listens to every order I give him.

It really depends on how I want to use him... Ruling him by fear will cause resentment. That could foster betrayal. However, if I provide what he's been lacking his whole life. I'll gain a loyal pawn out of gratitude instead of fear.

While it's less effective in terms of time spent, it'll be more beneficial in the long run.

"When you're tired of being weak, come find me."

Instead of forcing my way into his life. Using a subtle approach is far more useful.

[Michael Winrrow is deeply affected by what you've said.]

I turn and start walking back toward the elevator. I want to get back to my classroom before anyone else. I'm hoping Ms. Amanda is there, and I can ask her some questions. If she's not, I'll go to my dorm room.

[Michael Winrrow doesn't know what to do.]

I get a final notification before I'm no longer in his line of sight. Forcing Michael won't install gratitude. Only fear. When he's tired of being weak and helpless.

He'll find me.

Then, I'll begin crafting the pawn I need from someone like Michael.

~~~(POV: Olivia Bellcoar)~~~

~~~(Location: Class 1-G, Education Building, Optimum Island)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 16th, 12:22 PM, 2020)~~~

~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~

I'm looking out of one of several windows in class 1-G, and my thoughts are pulled to take in the wonderful view provided for free at this school. Across the single bridge is the city of Edaria.

Before I can go back to my plans, I hear the door open to the classroom. I can see who it is in the window's reflection, and it's the same guy I met on the elevator yesterday.

He walks up behind me, and I turn to greet him with a smile. He's taller than average and very handsome. What stands out are his brilliantly green eyes.

Hollow... Deep inside.

I'd probably fall for him if I weren't who I was now.

"Hello again, Scott."

I dedicated his name to memory. I see something different in him. If he fit my target criteria, I'd be after him instead. But he's not the type I'm after.

"Olivia."

His simple and dead acknowledgment sends a small chill up my spine. But not a bad one. It seems he lacks something inside him, just as I do.

A fellow traveler.

0