An Opportunity Given
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~~~(POV: Dannon Mayer)~~~

~~~(Location: Mayer Ranch, Umatilla County, Oregon)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: April 23rd, 7:03 AM PST, 2022)~~~

~~~(Current Age: 21 Years)~~~

The April morning on this beautiful Saturday brings me the calmness I need. It's been exactly eight days since my Celaxian skinsuit finished production, and I tried it on for the first time.

Since then, I've been waiting.

Waiting for the right time.

Mom is asleep upstairs in the house since it's still early. She's been having a hard time getting rest lately. She didn't have a good week trading; I can only sum it up to her worries about me.

I'm taking a patrol around the property with Bullet.

A breath leaves my lips, and the cold frozen air makes it frosty. Bullet slowly walks along the fence line as I softly shift in the saddle. The cattle in the pasture are grazing in the distance. The biggest of them won't be getting up until later.

It's mornings like this that prey on my desire to stay hidden. Parts of my life will disappear, and the solitude of my farm is one of them. There is always the 3.8km long spacecraft under the farm I can hide in.

The satire and sarcasm in my head only hammer home how much I care for this place. People will find out where I live. The US government will come knocking at the ranch's front door a few hours after the first facial recognition scan returns.

"What do you think, Bullet? People surrounding our home with cameras and weapons... You think that's something you want?"

A soft snort and a slight head shake from Bullet tell me he's not interested in trespassers. But one could make the argument it's me that's trespassing. I wasn't born in America. I wasn't born anywhere near the Milky Way.

That's just a guess, to be honest. I don't know where I come from regarding coordinates within the Universe. The Celaxian people are still a mystery to me for the most part.

After everything settles, I'll take some time to learn more about my people's history.

Bullet and I continue our patrol and check the ranch; nothing seems out of place. Meaning, I'm done with the animals this morning.

I'm ready to relax for a little while and turn on the TV. Bullet makes the trip back to the pens quickly. Opening the connecting gate so he has somewhere to run around for the day while I'm busy inside.

My heavy steps up the porch seem to stir my tired Mom from her morning ritual of coffee. She got up a few minutes ago on my way back from the barn. She smiles as she sees me come through the door and holds up her coffee in celebration.

She doesn't look like her always vibrant self and shows some of the age she's gathered. It's not nice to say, so I'll keep it to myself.

"How's my one-man ranch crew doing today?"

Her voice is croaky and exhausted; she must've had a hard time sleeping again last night. The smell of her coffee is loaded with more sugar and creamer than she usually has.

Before giving a response, I clean up with my super speed. She rolls her eyes at me as I stand in the same place as before from a half second ago, except I'm clean.

I go over to the couch and sit beside her, putting my legs up on the coffee table. Remote in my hand. The TV turns on, and CNN is already running.

"The ranch is doing fine, and the cattle look healthy. The corn is also showing good signs. I'll have to watch it closely since we're getting closer to harvest."

The farm does well every year; we're one of the only farms in Umatilla County that can say that. Farming in a High Desert environment isn't easy. For ordinary people, that is. Our corn and cattle are what sells the best every year.

Mom gently places her coffee on the table and starts rubbing her neck. She always rubs the same spot when she's stressed out. Not to mention I can see her increased blood pressure.

"That's good..."

The tension in her voice far outweighs the meaning behind her response. How little there actually is. It's a bit awkward talking since she's struggling so much.

"Do you need me to get you anything, Mom? You've been out of it for the last week, and I'm starting to worry about you."

She raises her hands with a forced smile. Creating energy out of nowhere like I've seen her do hundreds of times when I was younger... When things were hard for her.

"No, no. I'm okay..."

She suddenly loses the energy she made from thin air, and the forced smile disappears. I can tell the stress of everything is wearing her down to the bone. It's affecting her health. I don't know if she'll get better or worse.

Stress can do incredible things to the body. Both good and bad. My Mom's tired expression returns and her eyes shift from me to the wall. Looking at nothing.

"Actually, I'm not okay. I've been sleeping like shit, haven't been trading well, and can't seem to find motivation to do anything... It's like I've lost my soul..."

It's about time she told me what I needed to hear. She has a hard time at moments accepting I'm not a little kid anymore and I can carry my weight.

And more.

My hand finds its way to her back, and I gently hug her. She does her best to hold it in. I know now she didn't think she'd struggle this much with the thought of me helping the people of Earth.

"I'm not a therapist or psychologist. But I think you need friends and people to confide in. You've always kept people at a distance for me. When the world knows about me, it's time you get in touch with your friends again."

She lightly smiles at the idea, and I seem to bring her spirits up a little. That quickly changes as the voice from the TV grabs our attention, and the growing stress for Mom only skyrockets.

The CNN program shows footage of houses and forests set ablaze. The headline at the bottom of the screen says live feed of bushfires in Australia.

"The bushfires of the Australian fire season are ravaging cities and towns caught in their path. The firefighters are doing their best, but 11 heroic lives have already been lost."

The somber voice of the woman reporting at the desk is a hollow one. To others, she'd look genuine, but the subtleties are visible to me.

There is something to be said about this timing...

The thumping heart rate of the woman sitting next to me only increases as the seconds pass. As more live feed is given... As more time passes...

"Experts are saying millions of the local wildlife will die if the fires aren't stopped, and thousands of miles of land will be reduced to burn fields."

I don't want to say it... Not now... Not with what my Mom is going through...

"They need you, sweetie... It's time..."

The soft, solemn tone beside me says what I don't want to. My head turns calmly, and I look her in the eyes. She's been preparing for this day as long as I have. No, even longer. It's been her wish for me to become a hero the Earth needs.

All I can do is give her a nod of reassurance and slowly stand up. Making my way upstairs. Once I'm in my room, the opening of the closet drowns out the whimpers I hear from downstairs. The Celaxian skinsuit is soon in my hands.

It takes me a fraction of a second to get out of my regular clothes. The same feeling when I put on the skinsuit for the first time enters me. A sense of security and steadiness.

Mom is already on the back porch, waiting for me. This is where I'll be appearing to the world. It'll be a slow process. The governments that run countries will figure it out faster, which will take a few days. Maybe a few weeks before the public knows me.

Dannon Mayer.

The Alien that the world is looking for. That people are searching for. Saving lives, homes, and animals is what many would consider an ideal way of entering the world stage. But they never consider the cost.

I wish my moment of revealment didn't come at the cost of so many lives. Such is the fate of people who are regarded as heroes. No one considers the cost of such a title.

~~~(POV: Eloise Mayer)~~~

~~~(Location: Mayer Ranch, Umatilla County, Oregon)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: April 23rd, 7:27 AM PST, 2022)~~~

~~~(Current Age: 38 Years)~~~

My mind is locked on the result of what might come. No matter what happens, I know the world will eventually come to see Dannon for who he is. It just breaks my heart knowing some people out there will hate him.

A lot of people, actually... The loudest voices are the ones that cause the most pain... My baby boy will have to deal with that.

Sure, the leaders of governments around the planet are offering a peaceful dialogue. That doesn't reflect what the fanatical, paranoid, and scared are feeling...

The thought of an Alien with incredible power threatens everything people believe in. Dannon is my little gift from God. Sent to me by the heavens themselves, but I also know the truth. As much as I am religious, I know the truth.

He's my gift, but he's also my Alien.

The soft footsteps behind me pull me from my thoughts, and I spin around to see Dannon in his skinsuit. The girls will go nuts for him.

Another fear of a Mom that is known to those who've raised sons.

He looks at me with reassurance and confidence. He's spent his entire young life mastering and controlling his powers. Now, all the hard work he's put in will come to fruition.

"It's time for me to go, Mom..."

That pierces my heart deeper than any blade ever will...

All I can do is walk over to him and wrap my arms around him. Desperate not to let him go, but forcing myself all the same. The people burning in fires need him more than I do. The lives he'll save need him more than me.

I unleash my pain through tears and soft whimpers. No longer able to hold them back as he lets me go. I stand to the side and let him descend the stairs to the backyard.

He stands in the middle of the backyard. Taking a deep breath. Calming himself for what's about to happen. All I can do is wipe the tears from my cheeks and hold my mouth closed. He leans forward and crouches slightly.

The gravity around him becomes distorted as pebbles and twigs swirl around him. As if he has his own gravity field.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

My hair is blown back as a strong gust of wind exits in all directions from where Dannon once stood. Looking to the sky, my son disappears a second later. He's already out of sight; all I can see in the distance is a white trail.

~~~(POV: Dannon Mayer)~~~

~~~(Location: Thermosphere, Over Indian Ocean)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: April 24th, 12:31 AM ACT, 2022)~~~

~~~(Current Age: 21 Years)~~~

As I soar through the upper atmosphere, my eyes take in Earth's blue and green beauty below me. The freedom of flight takes control of my soul for a brief moment. Leaving me with a sense of nothing to worry about in the world.

The skinsuit I'm wearing is a sign of who I will be. Who the people of Earth will see me as... At first... Before they know who Dannon Mayer is, all they'll have is this to look at. The perfect grey that Naedra and Mom made for me.

The symbol of House Nur over my left pectoral muscle tucked away in a triangle. The sense of freedom disappears as reality sinks in, and the world's darkness without the sun takes over.

The time zones change with my speed. When it's 7:30 in the morning back on the ranch, it's midnight in Australia. It also means it's the 24th here instead of the 23rd.

They have to fight fires in the dark. I'm not a firefighter, so I don't know if it's easier or harder. After a few more minutes of traveling at Mach 19, the continent of Australia comes into view. My descent begins with a crack in the lower atmosphere.

In this brief moment, before I start showing the world who I am, my eyes close, and all the noise I filter out, is allowed in. The cries of animals and people from the fires bombard me. Giving fuel to the purpose of why I'm doing this.

People need my help.

As the coast of Australia comes into view, I filter the cries of pain out. Allowing me to focus. I smell wood and flesh burning as I make landfall over the coast. Flying over the plains of Australia.

Time to help some people who need it. To help animals that are dying. It's time for me to be a hero.

~~~(POV: Kai Jackson)~~~

~~~(Location: Melbourne, Belgrave Heights, Australia)~~~

~~~(Date, Time, Year: April 24th, 12:35 AM ACT, 2022)~~~

~~~(Current Age: 43 Years)~~~

My firefighters are feeling the unbearable heat of the blazes consuming homes in front of us. I'm barking orders as best I can to the newer probies as this is one of the first bushfire seasons they've fought before.

Hundreds of firefighters are giving it their all as I hear my fellow captains yelling orders and instructions. I stare at a large home being fought by two different stations.

My attention is taken by some of the newer fighters in the house. Their initial entrance has collapsed, and they're calling for help.

I don't know how many firefighters have died today... How many among them are probies... So many young souls, lost...

"Captain Jackson!! We need help over 'ere, secondary fires are spreadin' all over the neighborhood, and there ain' a thing we're throwing at it that's stoppin' it!!"

The steady voice of one of my lieutenants catches my ear.

The sounds of battle surround us from all directions. The shouts and screams of firefighters today will haunt me for a long time.

I reach him and take a breath from my tank of O2 before removing the mask to speak.

"Tell the other captains we'll need to coordinate the larger fires on the Western side first! The wind is blowing over embers, giving us more fires to fight!!"

He nods his head and takes a breath of O2 himself. Preparing to ask another question in this desperate time.

"What do you want me t-!!"

KAAAAAAABBOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

Everyone around falls to the ground as the loudest explosion of sound I've heard today hits us. I stand up shaking, thinking one of the fire engines exploded. But I couldn't be more wrong.

Floating above the street...

Is...

A man...

In a skinsuit with a cape floating behind him. The fires around us give light to see the grey of the suit.

He's got three firefighters in his arms and gently floats to the ground. Laying them down. His head turns slowly, taking in everyone's expressions. Everyone here knows what he is.

The Alien from the Antarctic Incident.

His attention turns to me, and my body stops moving. He lightly lifts off the ground. Making his way over to me. My body camera is on, meaning he's being recorded.

He knows that. He has to...

The man floats about eight feet off the ground in front of me. Looking at me. He makes it look so easy... Like anyone can fly... His legs are ever so slightly bent as he floats like he's relaxing or something.

His eyes peer into mine, and my fear skyrockets. But that subsided with what I heard from him.

"How can I help?"

His voice is understanding. Gentle, yet firm and confident. I don't know why he's helping, but I'll take what I can get.

0