Chapter 26
58 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

E-rank promotion

Taking a quick nap in my room I left for the guild around noon. It had been some time since I entered the guild hall. Since a lot of the time I had spent doing requests for the guild were now spent studying magic instead, the last time I did was around 3 months back. Opening the door to the hall I could see it was a lot less crowded than usual, precisely the reason that I went at this time.

The adventurers guild (in this city at least) is usually the most busy during the mornings and evenings as people rush to get request or come back from finishing requests, as such the best time to actually post requests or do any other administrative task is during noon. And although the guild remains open at night apparently the processing fees are much higher.

Entering the guild I noticed that there were some new banners on the walls, looking more closely they were not banners but posters depicting commonly available herbs and similar looking plants in this area. “Caught your interest have we” as I was looking through the posters a voice called out from behind. Turning around I saw a tall man with bright blue hair and cat ears on top of his head was looking at me.

“Ah, yeah I was just looking at the posters; they weren’t here the last time I visited”

“Oh these, they were put up by the new deputy guild-master of this branch, apparently since he put these up the number of new adventurers that brought wrong herbs by mistake have fallen by 20%; though between you and me I doubt it.”

“That so”

“Indeed”

Sensing a bit of awkward silence appear between I replied with “Nice talking to you” as I left the cat-kin staring at the posters for the reception. Sitting over there was a familiar face.

“Hi there Alfred, it’s been a while since you came to the guild. What brings you in today?”

“Yeah it’s been a while Abby, so I would like to register for the e-rank promotion qualification.”

“Is that so? Please take a seat I will call you shortly”

“Yeah I will; thank you”

Sitting at the nearby cafeteria in the guild I was looking around the guild when a huge figure approached me. “So what was is it that you had to talk to my Angel Abby about? Huh.”

“Glad to see you’re as smooth brain as ever Rick.”

“Alfred! I didn’t realise it was you sorry man, Barkeep a round of mead for this table.”

“I don’t drink Rick.”

“i-is that so? Barkeep forget the mead bring some skewers.”

“I already ate.”

“Barkeep forget the skewers!”

As an awkward air appeared between the two of us, Rick gave a sheepish response as he quickly left the scene. Seeing him leave a grin appeared on my face as I ordered some sandwiches from the Barkeep, who had similar smile on his face.

Rick is always fun to tease. Some time ago, one day when I was doing requests a drunken Rick had tried to start a fight with me for ‘daring to use the Angel counter’ long story short I broke both of his arms for that incident and since then that fool has been absolutely terrified of me; though he tries not to show it, probably because of his ego.

“That guy never changes, sorry for the trouble Alfred.” Sometime after I finished my order Abby came holding some papers along with the cat-kin from before.

“You’re test is ready, if you would follow me please”

Following the two of them we went behind the counter through a hallway to enter an open space with a practise field in the middle. There were a bunch of practise weapons on the side paced upon a shelf. Looking at them from a distance they appeared to be of decent quality.

“Would you like an explanation of the procedure?”

“Nah, its fine”

The e-rank promotion test is quiet simple, you fight with an experienced adventurer and you’re performance in the spar determines if you pass or fail. Though even if you do pass you’re still an provisional e-rank adventurer at least until you finish the basic course.

Looking at the both of them I could help but ask “So, who’s my opponent?”

“I am sorry for the inconvenience but it appears your opponent is a bit late.”

Nodding to his response I waited for about 10 minutes when the door opened a huge cat-kin man appeared from within. As he approached closer I could see some similarities in the facial features between the one that was approaching and one that was by my side.

Grabbing a pair of gauntlets from the rack the man came to opposite side of the field from me and looked at the cat-kin by my side. Nodding to his gaze the man turned towards me and asked me to get into position.

“The e-rank promotion test for Mr Alfred is going to start, fighter get ready. 3, 2, 1 start.”

3rd circle magic mud swamp 3rd circle magic ice arrows X20

The ground between us turned into a muddy swamp as 20 arrows of ice flew at high speeds towards my opponent, who proceeded to hit to punch each arrow with his fists moving so fast all you could see was a blur. As soon as the ice arrows and his fist collided a freezing mist engulfed his figure. 

I went all out from the start, after all my instincts were telling me that this man was at least as strong as Harold if not stronger, that is also why I still unsure of the result as I prepared myself.

As the mist cleared I could see the figure appear unharmed except for some frost that was on his gauntlets, smiling at my tense expression the man punched the air. Jumping to the side I barely managed to evade his attack as the sound of wall breaking behind where I was just standing was heard. Turning my head towards him a cold sweat appeared on my back as that man’s smile grew wider.

Seeing him punch air again I casted my spells in a hurry.

3rd circle magic shield, 2nd circle magic earth wall

The earth wall in front of me collapsed from the hit of his air fist and the shards of it hit the blue spherical shield around me. After which was the impact from the air fist which was migrated by the earth wall though that was still enough to push me back a couple of meters and shake up my shield.

‘My turn’ before my opponent could do anything I casted several spells simultaneously

2nd circle magic earth wall X4 1st circle magic dig

I boxed him in a 4 meter tall box as I took away the ground beneath him, giving him 3 options either to fall in the newly formed ditch, jump up the box or the one I think he is most likely to do break out of the box. But no matter what he did it would have not mattered.

3rd circle magic rock explosion

*BOOM*

A loud explosion was heard as a massive cloud of dust arose from the aftermath of the spell and some pebbles hit my shield as shrapnel from the blast. Just as I was about to let my guard down alarm bells rang in my head. Forcing as much magic power as it could handle into my shield spell I heard a crack followed by a strong pushing force that almost forced me out of the arena.

As the dust cleared I could see the cat-kin man stand mid-air as the smile on his face grew larger. The next instant he took in a deep breath and let out an earth shattering roar. At the same time I felt a strong sense of oppression from him as he radiated pressure around him turning the nearby fragments of my earth wall into dust. 

Scared out of my mind I was about to take a step back when something primal in my blood revolted. A thought appeared in my mind as a rage unlike any other that I had ever felt engulfed me ‘you dare roar against ME!’

Although my thought were filled with anger my mind was serene unlike anything that I had ever felt before, but still my angry side decided to use everything I had and more; while my rational side agreed wholeheartedly.

3rd circle magic lightning arrow X 21

ЊфЯӓѕḮ(lightning)”

Using every single cast of dragon words I had, as well as how many lightning arrows I could cast at the same time; I created a lightning dragon that made my previous one against Harold look like an emaciated worm.

*ROAR*

Letting out a roar, in an instant the 30 feet long lightning dragon crossed the 30 or so meters of distance between us and struck at the grinning Cat-kin that met its ferocity with his own as his right arm which started glowing purple and he struck at the lightning dragon’s maw.

*BOOM*

The collision between the 2 produced a bright flash of light, temporarily blinding everyone that was present. Soon recovering I was able to see again and what I saw was that the Cat-kin had his gauntlet destroyed with the skin of his arm completely charred black which on movement broke to reveal horrific wounds that gushed out blood.

“heheHeHEHAHAHAHA” laughing maniacally the man took out a potion from his item box and applied it to his arm and the training field laughing to himself. Before leaving though he gave a look to the other cat-kin in the room, who bowed at receiving the look.

“Congratulation Mr Alfred, you have passed this assessment. Ms Abby will give you your new card, Ms Abby if you would please.”

“Yes Sir, now Alfred after me.”

Following Abby back out to the reception I waited behind the counter as she went to a magic tool with my old guild card, entering some details on something that looked similar to a key board she waited a while after which a copper card appeared out of the magic tool.

Taking the card she handed me it after examining it for some time.

“Sorry for the wait. Here is your new Guild card.”

Taking the card I thanked her declined her offer of pulling up some of the newly put up requests for me to do, after that fight I was tired. Heading back towards the inn I looked at my shiny new copper guild card.

The cards of the adventurer’s guild are made of different materials according to rank. Copper for E-ranks, iron for D-ranks, silver for C-ranks, Gold for B-ranks, mythral for A-ranks and finally Orichalcum for S-ranks.

Returning back to the inn I saw Tom busy cleaning the counter when he asked me what was I doing coming back so early. Showing him my new guild card I went upstairs to my room and replenished my magic power after which I took a nap.

Waking up around the time for dinner I had dinner with Henry as he introduced his party to me. After dinner I went back to my room and opened up a book titled [lightning travel] soon a gentle breeze started blowing in the room causing the candle light to flicker.

fin

3