A Final Form
459 1 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I collected myself and got the snot out of our mouth, Izena had some questions.

"Can you explain how we are like this? The details and limitations of what we are? I saw some of your speculation but did not get the full picture, or fully understand."

It was a bizarre feeling, having a conversation with a separate mind, using our same body. We could not exchange thoughts directly. We were two distinct minds attached to the same body, with interconvertible mana pools.

I told Izena what I had done, how I thought our sharing worked, according to my understanding of how our enemy's master-slave, merged-and-interconvertible mana method appeared to work. As part of this discussion, I went over what I knew and suspected about the threat in Solenn.

"I see," was all that Izena said, before she thought for a while.

I let her process what I had said, and her new memories, in silence. Finally, she spoke again.

"I think the best way to work through this, in practical terms, is for one of us to be in control of movement, while the other exclusively observes and casts. This is originally your body, so I think you should be the mover. I will watch, maybe talk and cast, unless I'm needed for some reason."

"Alright," I said. Even walking would be a disaster with two minds getting in each other's way. It was sensible for one of us to be exclusively in control, by agreement. "It makes me feel awful to imagine that in a domination scenario, I would presumably be similar to this, except the other mind would have absolute control. I would be restricted to watching it move us around and do things while I spectate helplessly, feeling all the sensations but paralyzed completely. If this was actually how things were for Oscanion, that is the worst mental torture imaginable. I hope he wasn't lucid like we are."

"Which reminds me," Izena chimed in. "I agree with you completely. The thing in Solenn needs to burn, for all the reasons you already know. I hope your purification can protect us."

That made me realize something.

"If the purification in Solenn is very challenging for me to do, then it may be helpful if you're in control, so I can focus all of my attention on casting. I think we should practice each way, you moving while I only think and cast, and me moving, while you think and cast."

"Good point," Izena agreed. "Alright, I'll take you for a spin some time. I'm looking forward to it. I'll get to feel like a pretty little cutie pie."

Our face was on fire, causing Izena to laugh at me with our mouth and lungs.

I was so glad to have her back. This was weird, but worth it. So worth it.

Now, it felt like time to raise the divinity issue, how she wanted to handle it. Speaking with Izena had made me revert back to our old sisters routine, instead of thinking of myself as the Goddess of Salvation as I had for the last few weeks.

"I have claimed the status of Goddess of Salvation. Did you see that you are worshipped as Goddess of Justice? Do you agree with what I've done? Will you claim the Justice identity the same way?" I asked.

I knew what decision I had made, and I had made it partly because it was how I interpreted Izena's advice, so I expected her to come to the same conclusion as me.

"I did see, in your memories," Izena gushed. "You showed me everything that I had any role in, including that. I was flattered at how much credit you gave me for what you did. I was so proud of you. You were so inspiring, and beautiful, and you spoke with conviction."

I was glad that she approved, and surprisingly, not blushing this time. Izena continued her answer.

"I agree with Your interpretation. We're immortal, and are well beyond what any mortal can achieve. We intend to help any who need it in any way possible. We will bring Salvation where no one else can--preventing and undoing harm--and Justice where no one else can--punishing and preempting it. In My opinion, We are one complete dual-Goddess, Justice and Salvation together, and We should identify that way, starting now. That is who We are. Justice's black magic has filled the hole that Salvation alone had, where You could not easily punish or destroy Your enemies, only protect against and restore the damage they caused. We are the Dual Sister Goddesses, Black and White, Justice and Salvation, and Our Creed is what You announced in Our Temple in Rokesha."

That was the answer that I would give, too, and that I had expected. "Agreed," I said. "We are two Goddesses in one body."

I couldn't wait to ask anymore. It was burning at Me.

"Are You not going to scold Me? For what I did to Myself?" I asked.

Izena shook Our head.

"You already worked out what I would say to You, Yourself. I saw it. It would be a waste of breath and time and energy for Me to repeat what You already know. What's important is that We are together again now, We are healthy, We will never be separated again--that is now impossible--and We are powerful enough to do what We need to do."

Izena always had a way of cutting right to the heart of an issue.

Then, out of nowhere, Izena said, "Can I make a regalia suggestion?"

Woohoo!

"Yes! I was wondering what Your preferences would be!" I replied excitedly. I was glad that She had brought it up.

"I want to change the parts supporting the White Sun sigils on Our circlet and necklace, the band and chain, to be black thunderbolts, make the left earrings, bracelet, and boot black, since I'm left handed and You are right handed, and add black flames expanding from the Suns in the tunic embroidery so they contrast better with the white fabric."

We made the changes immediately, and looked Ourself over as best We could.

"We're gorgeous," Izena said at last. I had to agree.

We were still fundamentally in My original body, with My hair and so on. The changes were the black arcs coursing across Us constantly, and a decrease of the harshness of the glow. We still had a bright white light aura, but it was possible to see Our body through the aura more easily than before, as if the Light was...transparent? The Light somehow gave the impression of still being very bright, without being overpowering. Finally, We had a kind of black outline, as if Our edges had been better defined, drawn in with a deep black, light-eating ink. It was overall My original appearance, but not as washed out.

"Behold!" I intoned. "For it is Our final Form. Our enemies shall so effortlessly be rendered unto dust, and We and Our allies shall never know fear or harm!"

I said it in a mocking way, but the sentiment was true.

Izena snorted. We snorted? It's weird. It's worth it.

We will laugh at Our Own jokes a lot, I mused.

"I would like to head off to Solenn immediately and check with the Guard, but I think We should do some dual combat practice first, and then head out," I proposed. "What do You think?"

"Agreed," Izena replied. "We need to practice not interfering with the Other when casting both types of spells together. We can use rocks as targets for a bit. Plus, I need to become accustomed to the strength that I inherited from You, and the mana-linking process. I am a little paranoid about blowing Our body apart, not knowing how strong My spells will be exactly, and obviously I have no experience with pulling from Your pool. You are awesomely, absurdly strong. A black mage of this power may not actually be practical without Our unique combination, since You can shield Us from the backlash."

We practiced until We were satisfied, and headed for Solenn.

Observing the fully realized Goddess of Justice in action, I learned a new axiom: None who are anathema to the Goddess of Justice can survive.

The only entity in the world that can challenge My maximum power single target shield shares Our body. It is a comforting feeling.

I liked the booms very much. Nobody liked that refugee camp anyway.

30