Chapter 18 – Longleaf Sword Style
223 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

After the Elves brought the large boar back to the tribe, a feast was held where there was enough boar meat on the massive boar to share a portion to all the remaining elves of the tribe. 

It was a good moral boost to the tribe who have been left anxious over the ordeal with the humans.

Ava thought her time at the forest was a big eye opener, that strength isn’t always everything, having good technique can bridge that to an extent, the elves spend years refining their technique for a reason. 

The humans always struggled against them for this point, that elves have longevity allowing them to spend longer time building their foundations not needing to worry about their life spans as much when it comes to progressing to the next level of cultivation.

Ava knew the boar was a dumb brute, even by magical beasts standards, the elves have spent their entire lives fighting against similar opponents in the surrounding forest, it was not a challenge for them even if it boasted a stronger body and cultivation. 

A strong but slow opponent by itself was no concern for a hunting party of the tribe, though there was more dangerous threats in the forest that even they had to be cautious of.

It filled Ava with the desire to learn the secrets of the tribe, she already experienced practicing basic swordsmanship, going through the motions of the right footwork and how to swing a sword correctly, yet she knew just by watching the elves the full extent of true swordsmanship has not been shown to her. 

It had made her more eager to go out for further excursions in the forest, not only can she expand her herbology knowledge but she can experience watching the elven warriors in action. 

Her eagerness was noted by Hoatan who brought her aside to talk to her about the tribes swordsmanship. 

“Now usually we will introduce our fellow tribesman to this knowledge when they’re a bit older, but since you’re a quick learner I see no reason to prohibit it from you.” Hoatan said.

Ava smiled and replied respectfully, “Of course Sir Hoatan.” 

Hoatan’s eyes lit up even further as he went on his description, “Now each tribe of elves prides themselves on it’s heritage. Our Longleaf tribe has a reputation for being good swordsman. Although we have decent bow techniques it is not our forte, your father himself is a master swordsman among the elves. This is all built on our Longleaf Sword styles, which members of the tribe who specialise in swordsmanship will learn, our ancestors spent thousands of years refining these techniques further and further until it has reached its current standard.”

Ava’s gaze filled with interest upon listening to Hoatan, this was something she needed after seeing Hoatan execute the style against the boar.

‘To learn a sword style at this stage would be very useful in building your foundations. The elves have spent a long time refining their techniques, but remember don't fixate on a sword style, to become a true sword master you must adapt and form your own style that suits you, of course, this is all in the future. This is nothing to think about if you fail to even master it.’ Cense took this moment to remind her. 

Being a sentient artefact around powerful cultivators had allowed him to learn plenty of informative things about cultivation, he has been able to provide useful directions to her because of this, it was one of the things that allowed her to progress faster.

“Now our Longleaf Tribes sword style consists of using speed, always fleet on our toes, where we launch powerful attacks with the use of quick changes of direction allowing us to strike at unorthodox angles. What I will begin teaching you now that you have grasped the complete basics, is the beginning of this style, it is best to commit the techniques to memory if you can, even if you can't execute them just yet.” Hoatan advised.

Ava followed him feeling Hoatan knew more about the war than he let on. 

It strangely felt like he was passing on the technique of the tribe in fear that this may be his final opportunity, however, she just squashed these dark thoughts to the back of her mind. 

She felt confidence in the elves and her Father, after all, they held back the humans for a long, long time, from what she heard elves have never failed to hold them back since even the oldest elf can remember. 

Concentrating on Hoatan’s instructions she found the concept of the technique strange.

Similar to how the Elves fought the boar, the sword style focuses on wanting you to move like a Viper, moving, in, and out explosively, landing strikes to the vitals before the enemy can react.

The style demands you to be on the move constantly, making it a very physically draining style to practice. 

She could see why it was fierce though, the ingenious of the feints, and movements, meant if you gain a high-level mastery of the style you are very unorthodox and difficult to predict.

She found herself looking hilariously clumsy trying to imitate Hoatan, but still left him impressed at even the little she was able to show.

“Very good, it will take you a while to grasp the basics of the technique, so you don't need to be anxious. Even talented members of the tribe are introduced to the style when they are at least eight years old.” Hoatan said trying to cheer her up after noticing her downtrodden expression for falling on her bottom for the umpteenth time.

“Again!” Ava said with determination causing Hoatan to let out a big grin.

“Looks like you got your father's stubbornness in you after all, so let's go over this movement…” Hoatan described as Ava once again finding herself in the rhythm of practice.

12