Chapter 39 – Investigation
120 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The guards soon arrived in large numbers. They similarly resembled the guards she saw previously at the gate, though their discipline and training was now on full display as they appeared in a tight formation that left no gaps for someone to escape from the Inn. 

Ava could already see the big man Arwen sent flying earlier was currently being surrounded by a bunch of guards who prodded and secured the giant after realising he was merely knocked unconscious. 

She could already tell this seemed to put the guards on edge against the occupants in the Inn as the giants original pristine and heavy armour now had a large dent in the back showing the sheer force he had been hit with. 

The guards knew if any of them were struck by the blow they would not have been merely knocked out like the big man and would have been mortally wounded.

It caused a shiver down the spines of the guards at the thought of the expert responsible. 

None of them felt confident about confronting them however they were all duty bound by the city. 

They felt even more nervous as they found another body outside the Inn, however unlike the giant this one was clearly not breathing.

The body of an inconspicuous looking hooded man laid prone and unmoving as it was clear his chest was caved in from being crushed by a massive force. 

Knowing they were now dealing with someone who commuted a murder openly on the steet they approached the Inn cautiously. 

However the guards were shocked to find upon entering they found a scene so disturbing it caused some of the younger men to wince as they felt bile rising up in their stomachs.

The stench of death filled the room as the bodies of the former patrons laid still, murdered brutally. 

And the strangest thing of them all despite the scene from was hell that among all this carnage stood a friendly looking old man who was smiling at them, by his side stood a beautiful female elf with a look of pure annoyance, a terrified looking human woman who’s clothing resembled the deceased assassin outside, a handsome grizzled male elf and the strangest of them all a small Elven child who stood there harmlessly with a blank look on her face. 

The scene was so bizare that the guard felt himself blinking twice to see if he was imagining things. 

However he quickly regained his professionalism as he interrupted the old man before he could speak, “Alright we can resolve this peacefully, now put your hands behind your back so we can get to the bottom of this mess…”

His thoughts were quick to think of why a child was in such a predicament in the first place but quickly decided maybe it was an Elf thing but before he could issue further commands his captain barged past. 

“One moment men, everyone step down. Sorry Sir Druid for you experiencing such a horrid problem whilst in the City, how may we be of service? I presume that young lady is apart of the group responsible.” The guard captain said measurably, he had rushed in upon recognising the Druid from earlier in the day.

His superiors had already informed him to make sure the Druid was well looked after whilst he stayed in Adruil.

They did not want any issues to arise to complicate their relationship with the Druids. 

It was already clear the Emperor had a good rapport with the Druids with him even actively supporting their interests in his territory as they usually benefit him anyways since the Emperor pursued fairness in his lands. 

He had reformed the nobility system and now if they were not up to standard they would be replaced by individuals more capable, no one was untouchable and the Cities magistrate did not want to potentially offend the Emperor over such matters.

The Guard captain had also straight away recognised the situation around him just from the emblem on the women’s right-cauldron.

‘Blood Wolf Gang, looks like they finally bitten something harder than they can chew this time. Damn fools just had to provoke the Druid under our watch, why couldn’t they have court death out of the City walls? That must be the leader Barbarian Yu outside, the man fits his reputation though crazy to think he was left in such a state…’ The guard captain thought nervously scanning Arwens reaction to his words. 

Yu was a member of the Barbarian race. A large powerful humanoid race renowned for their strength and battle prowess as Warriors. He was a actually in the Seventh Tier, a sufficient level to be a member of the elite guard serving the Emperor himself and Yu was no ordinary Seventh Tier expert since being a Barbarian meant his bodily strength was astonishing for his realm with him being able to crush most experts at the same rank. 

It was one of the reasons why he had remained unhindered in the City for now, since it would be too troublesome for the Magistrate to deal with him and they had no concrete evidence on the man to press charges since everyone who had the pleasure to interact with him ended up dead. 

The Blood Wolf gang was notorious in these parts for being a ruthless, merciless group of killers who had never failed to deal with their target before now, yet now their leader was left defeated and the assassin who resembled Yu’s right hand aide seemed so terrified she was about to collapse from fear. 

Arwen took that moment to smile as he said, “That young lady will explain everything, now if you don’t mind I should take my apprentice out of here, what has happened here is unsightly for a child.” 

The guard captain nodded in understanding as they left, as the female assassin began explaining everything hurriedly as if she was worried if this matter wasn’t solved appropriately she would be in deep trouble. 

‘Looks like even the Emperors reputation has even led to a cold killer being wary of the consequences of his intervention.’ The guard captain thought noticing the women’s reaction. 

He knew her honesty here had likely saved her from a meeting from one of the Emperors personal Inquisitors who were experts at pulling information out of criminals like this. 

‘The Gravenports what were they thinking? All to abduct a highly prized asset among Elven kind. Though I can’t believe I saw one up close, even as a child, usually Elves like that only belong to a Royal Clan or High Nobility’ He thought thinking to the unique features of the elven child.

He knew the Gravenports likely intended to risk everything for a chance to take the child however now they faced the consequences of failing. 

‘The Emperor will want them dealt with and fast. I must contact my superiors, we have much work to do.’ The guard captain thought as he gestured to his men to take the female assassin captive and told her to repeat what she said to him to his superiors. 

She nodded obediently knowing full well how much this matter will blow up since it involved a Druid and a precious, rare member of Elven kind.

The guards quickly went into action as they left the Inn, reassuring the public before securing the area to sort out the bloody mess the Blood Wolf gang left behind. 

Finding further bodies of the gangs members as they scoped the remainder of the Inn, they saw a further warriors and assassins slashed to death, each of their throats slit by a blade indicating they met their end at the hands of a swordsman.

On the other hand the Druid opponents were clear since they all shared light injuries and were left in an unconscious state like Yu, the guards rounded up the surviving members of the gang and brought them to be imprisoned, interrogated like the female assassin. 

They then had to investigate the victims of the matter and sent out a number of guards to notify the families about the incident, fortunately the culprits were dealt with and the matter was resolved in the way that the families can rest knowing the Blood Wolf gang had been wiped out after the ordeal.

The only matter left was the Gravenports in which the guards after receiving the Magistrates quick approval had sprung into action to deal with them swiftly before they can notice anything amiss dealing them a heavy blow. 

Their assets was confiscated and most of the members was rounded up and imprisoned. 

Soon enough evidence was discovered linking them to multiple gangs of the City and further illicit business, meaning even without this incident the Gravenport was guilty of heavy crimes.

The incident about the Gravenports filled the City with shock. For such a large, affluent family to collapse suddenly like this was rare.

Adruil Cities Magistrate soon apologised to a clothing store that had been one of the victims of the Gravenports. 

It turned out they were aided and acquaintances of the Druid himself who had further discovered a famed Spirit Seamstress had actually been poisoned as they competed for business against the Gravenports. 

Reparations were offered but they declined, in the end the ownership of the Gravenports store was attempted to be gifted to them but they still refused which led to them receiving the coin of the sale of the store in the end, only then was the Magistrate happy to put the matter to rest. 

The only thing that annoyed him is that the head of the Gravenports, Ardon Gravenport successfully escaped and was missing since the dissolution of his family. 

Fortunately the Druid had left by now with the young elf girl, hopefully that puts this matter to rest and he wouldn’t have to hear about them again. It was not good for his health to be so anxious dealing with such things.

Hopefully Ardon Gravenport realises the futility of his actions and gives up on such a hopeless endeavour. 

The Magistrate let out a deep sigh thanking that this was mess was finally over.

11