17. Employee Upskill – I
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One could easily mistake this experience for a dream, but for me, it was all too real. Since I ventured into this profession, I've heard countless rumors about how support corporations have gained increasing influence over the years. The era of re-exploration, as many call it, has enabled support companies like MagicPerformax to expand their efforts in the name of customer support and to provide opportunities for those who were overlooked by the bureaucratic hero application process. While I may not fully grasp the intricacies of corporate politics, the Arcanae Halls are a testament to how this company has grown in power and, if I'm being honest, has become somewhat intimidating.

"I hope we're not inconveniencing you, Harmony?" Alliana inquires while giving me a reassuring pat on the back. "I'd like to expedite Vaughn's decision on his specialization."

"Of course, TL Willingford," Harmony responds with a nod, her gaze shifting to me. "A Team Leader's role in supporting our clients is challenging, so it's only fitting that the Subject Matter Expert is equipped with the necessary tools to provide support."

"Indeed, Harmony. Weren't you once a TL as well?" Alliana reminisces. "I remember our colleagues used to tremble when you returned from fieldwork because they could sense your presence even from the ground floor."

"Please, TL Willingford, that's all in the past," Harmony chuckles, raising her hands. In seconds, the empty space around us fades, and the platform we were standing on vanishes. In its place, a small room with metallic walls appears, a stark contrast to our previous location.

"Impressive as always, Harmony," Alliana commends. "I'm guessing Reality Manipulation?"

"The eyes see what they choose to see," Harmony replies, turning her attention to me once more. "It's one of the specialization options you can consider, SME. The ability to temporarily warp space and matter could greatly assist your future customers and clients."

"It certainly sounds intriguing," I respond to Harmony. "But if I may ask, how does it work? Are you casting spells to manipulate the surrounding matter?"

"To some extent, yes, but there are many intricacies involved," Harmony explains with a playful giggle as a metallic door suddenly materializes before us. "Should you choose Reality Manipulation, I'd personally mentor you. I'm sure TL Willingford would approve."

"Absolutely, Harmony. If Vaughn decides on that path, it's all yours," Alliana agrees with a chuckle. "Assuming he chooses it," she adds with a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Indeed, TL Willingford. But there are other specializations your SME might consider if you both follow me," Harmony suggests. With a flick of her hand, the floating books around her vanish, and the metallic door in front of us opens.

As we ventured through the metallic doors, I found myself in a long, winding hall with identical metallic doors lining the sides. The hallway stretched endlessly, and I could only imagine that each of these rooms would showcase a different Arcanae specialization.

"Ugh, this is going to take forever," Alliana muttered under her breath as we started walking. "I should've realized that MagicPerformax leans more towards magic than tech. Not that I blame them. Manipulating elements and summoning creatures sounds way more exciting than math and chemistry."

"You have a valid point there, TL Willingford," I replied, "but if I recall correctly from my time as a TL, while some leaders favored technology, they were still some of the company's most valuable assets."

"True, Vaughn," Harmony chimed in. "But let's stay focused. I understand you want to make a quick decision, so how about this: I can show you the more popular paths that our SMEs usually take—"

"No, Harmony," Alliana interrupted. "On the contrary, I know you have experimental specializations here, right? I think they're called 'Thesis' or something."

"That's correct," Harmony confirmed. "Reality Manipulation is still considered a thesis, although we're approaching its full launch. There are other experimental specializations still in development that I'd be happy to show you if you'd like."

"Yeah, that sounds much better," Alliana agreed. "And if Vaughn isn't interested in the Thesis specializations, we can always circle back to explore the more popular ones."

With Harmony leading the way, we turned left, and she waved her hand to open a door. Beyond it was a darkened room with only a single bulb illuminating the center.

"Please, step inside," Harmony invited us as Alliana playfully patted my back.

"Don't tell me you're scared now, Vaughn," she teased.

"Please, TL, I was just—" I started to respond when, as I stepped into the room, I suddenly felt a heavy, oppressive presence, as though several boulders had been dumped onto my chest. Glancing at Alliana, I could tell she felt it too, but she simply wore a knowing smile. Harmony raised her hand, and in an instant, the ominous sensation vanished.

"Astraius, it's not advisable to greet our guests with such a heavy atmosphere," Harmony scolded gently. The room lit up, revealing a girl with flowing black hair and crimson eyes, sitting in a wheelchair and wearing the similar MagicPerformax uniform as Harmony's.

"I'm sorry, Harmony. I wanted to show the SME the potential of our specialization," the girl named Astraius replied softly, bowing her head briefly.

"Your specialization is still in the testing phase, Astraius, so it's not readily available to everyone until further testing and approvals," Harmony explained. "But yes, I must say your Justitia Thesis has shown significant promise."

"That, and Psychokinesis, if I remember correctly," Alliana added with a sigh. "I really should attend these monthly meetings more often."

"Yes, TL Willingford," Astraius acknowledged as the door behind us closed. "I'd be delighted to personally demonstrate the full capabilities of the Justitia—"

"Cut that out, Astraius," Harmony interjected, playfully tapping her head. "You won't attract SMEs with that spooky act of yours."

"I apologize, Harmony. I was just trying to make things more intriguing!" Astraius responded with a sheepish smile.

What do you all think will Vaughn choose as a specialization?

2