19. Employee Upskill – III
65 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I have to admit, this whole experience hasn't been what I'd call pleasant so far," I admitted to Alliana, my gaze still fixed on the chained demon. Alliana nodded in agreement.

"I can't blame you for feeling that way, Vaughn," she replied. "I'm honestly surprised that the management would allow something like this."

"It's all in the pursuit of knowledge and better customer service, TL Willingford," Harmony explained. "You're aware that some of our clients delve into aspects of the underworld and demons."

"You do have a point," Alliana conceded, "but it's still a bit unsettling that MagicPerformax is affiliating with demonic aspects. Anyway, I'm not paid enough to think through all of that stuff. So, about the Ruina Thesis, who's currently handling it?" she inquired.

Harmony sighed, her voice tinged with disappointment. "The last agent who was finalizing this thesis was let go by the company. It's disheartening to see how someone who once trained a top guild in the city couldn't withstand the demon's influence and had to flee."

"So, you're handling it now, Harmony?" Alliana asked.

"To some extent, yes," Harmony confirmed. "But since this is a special case, the agent who chooses this specialization will also be trained to complete the thesis and present it to management for evaluation and launch."

"That could be you, Vaughn," Alliana suggested, patting my shoulder. I instinctively shook my head. "I don't think I can handle something as advanced as this."

"Oh, I'm sure you can," Alliana reassured me, but our conversation was abruptly interrupted when Harmony raised her hand and pointed it at one of the chains binding the demon. The chain was released, causing it to swing wildly across the ground. Alliana quickly pulled me away, and Harmony caught the chain with her hands.

"Harmony, you trickster!" Alliana exclaimed in annoyance. "Could you at least give us a heads-up if you're going to do that?"

"Ah, my apologies, TL Willingford!" Harmony responded playfully as the demon roared once more. "I wanted to demonstrate the potential of the Ruina Thesis to your SME. And with that said... if you'll excuse me for a moment."

Harmony turned her attention back to the demon, opening her mouth and speaking in a language I couldn't understand. Was she conversing with the demon right now?

"Goodness, how much budget did the management pour into this?" I heard Alliana whisper as she observed Harmony pushing the demon's hand away while still speaking in the unknown language.

"Could it be, TL, that she's speaking the language of that chained demon?" I asked, and Alliana nodded.

"Yes, but it's not just that. To speak that language, she must have done something more, as those who tried in the past had their tongues burnt to a crisp," she explained in a low tone.

Harmony turned toward us with a smile and waved her hand. "Come, TL Willingford, SME. Allow me to demonstrate the wonders of this specialization."

As we drew nearer, I was taken aback to see the demon had become docile, bowing respectfully toward us. Harmony then gestured with her hands, and in a moment of surreal transformation, the demon morphed into a battle axe. The weapon was adorned with mysterious runes, its handle cracked, and its blades wreathed in an eerie, swirling blue and red flame. Harmony handed it to me without warning.

"This is the best way to feel the potential of the Ruina Thesis," she explained. I felt an overwhelming surge of heat and a sharp, prickling pain coursing through my body as I struggled to hold the axe.

"Vaughn, are you okay?" Alliana asked with concern, but my head was filled with a cacophony of whispers and screams. I was far from okay.

"He's alright, TL Willingford. His body is just adapting to the change," Harmony tried to reassure Alliana. But as my heart raced, my legs trembled, and nausea threatened to overwhelm me, I questioned whether that was the case.

"Steady, SME," Harmony urged in a strangely distorted voice. Amidst the dissonance echoing in my head and ears, her voice somehow brought a peculiar sense of calm. I focused on her reassuring smile.

"Now, say it with me: 'Infernus Method – Amplify Strength,'" Harmony instructed. My mouth moved involuntarily, echoing her words. Suddenly, the overwhelming noise in my head vanished. Instead, I felt my hand burning, and before my eyes, it grew in size, engulfed in the same red and blue flames that had adorned the axe.

"Good," Harmony praised, her voice still distorted. Alliana watched silently, her expression a mix of fascination and concern. My priority, however, was to end this burning pain in my arm.

"Now, SME, feel free to release the pent-up power," Harmony's voice echoed through my ears. Without hesitation, I felt my arm move of its own accord. With a single mighty swing, I attempted to cleave the Arcanae agent in two. Streaks of fire trailed behind my strikes as I swung repeatedly. Harmony tried to defend herself with conjured magic circles, but they cracked and shattered under the relentless assault. She stumbled back, raising her hand in what might have been a signal to Alliana. I didn't know her intent; all I cared about was putting an end to her irritating presence—

"Ah!"

My swings broke through Harmony's defenses with a resounding thud. She caught the blazing axe with her petite hands which threw her across the room and landing on the pile of rocks at the side. Did I really just hurt a MagicPerformax employee while inside the office? Despite the satisfaction I felt, there was no way I could—

"Alright, it's time to let go, SME," Harmony's stuttering voice suddenly resonated in my head. My hands relinquished their grip on the axe, and it fell to the floor with a heavy thud. Alliana rushed to my side, embracing me from behind while touching my arm, noticing  that it was covered in strange marks, symbols and scratches. Alliana promptly removed her earring and placed it on my arm, and after a faint green glow, a soothing sensation coursed through it.

"T-TL?" I tried to speak, but Alliana covered my mouth and shot a glare at Harmony.

"No wonder no one's managing this thesis, Harmony," Alliana scolded her former colleague. "It causes far too much harm to the agent. This does more harm than good."

"You're right, TL Willingford, but with proper control and limitations in place, you can see its potential," Harmony responded, showing her hands, which had been cut by the axe. "As I mentioned, the agent simply needs to ensure control and limitations. I have hope that other theses will become accepted specializations within operations, but I'm sure you now recognize the potential of the Ruina Thesis."

 

Who do you think is in the right?
  • Alliana Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Harmony Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who knows... Votes: 1 50.0%
Total voters: 2
1