44
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I didn't have much experience with this type of thing and the others had even less.

"There are a lot of 'em, I don't think I can take all of them this time" Greg started.

"We don't have as much help as last time so we're going to have to be sneaky and careful now that we're wanted" I said. I really didn't see much we could do and hoped that at night it would be easier.

Hannah tried to make a plan to her credit "We could try to get hired by them or even be taken prisoner, I doubt they have those cuffs here if they didn't at the other location."

"That's not exactly possible unless you know an illusion spell that I don't know about" I responded.

"Don't you have something like that? I thought that cook book had everything" Hannah pointed out. I didn't remember anything like that but maybe there was something that could be of use.

"Let me check real quick" I pulled out the cook book and started looking through it page by page and quickly looking at the top. It was a large book with a couple hundred recipes, some unfinished or used only once by my parents. I saw 2 that had minor changes to appearances like body dough that you could attach to someone to add mass or a feature that didn't really move to them. The other just changed skin color and didn't even have a system name to go with the recipe. I guess together they might be able to work but it would need testing.

I told the others about the treats.

"That's great, I'm sure it will work" Hannah cheered.

Greg looked deeper in thought "I think I remember hearing about this from mama Ren. I don't remember what she used it for but I do remember her being embarrassed about it when I asked as were the ladies she gave some to. She did tell me that the best way to make it was by adding coloring before mixing  everything and to put in some concrete powder when you are ready to apply it." Outside of my vision, Hannah looked like she figured something out but didn't add anything.

"Thank you Greg, it didn't mention that in the book, they must have forgotten to add it. You two stay here and keep watching, I'll be back when I finish making some to test out in the soul kitchen and I will bring some to-go tavern food too" I added before walking away to find an inn big enough to accommodate the kitchen in one of their rooms. 

A couple hours later near midnight I returned to find a sleeping Hannah and a bored Greg munching on H-bread. 

I smacked his hand "Don't ruin dinner like that. I brought you some salted boar and a corn cob." Hannah startled awake at that and must not have actually been sleeping. "Here's some herb and chicken soup Hannah, there's a baguette and chips in the bag." I pulled out my own meal of fries and this new dish called a cheeseburger, apparently a withheld recipe of the tavern I got it from that was pretty popular. 

We ate our meal silently, the late hour seemingly not appropriate for talking much. My meal was pretty good, tasted like some sort of beef but it also was more tender and less juicy compared to a steak. I also saw an onion in the burger part so it could have been something else entirely. 

I watched the garage area a bit while Hannah finished her soup. Greg had long since been done and was looking really tired now. The garage area had been closed up and had no guards on the outside but I still saw light from under the door.

Nothing appeared to change and it just sat there.

I tried to identify what the rolled down door was made of and was surprised to see a low grade metal, iron. Greg might be able to punch a hole through it even. There must not be anything important in the back then. 

"Hannah, could you summon something small, under level 3 preferably" I asked, pulling out some kibble. 

She finished dipping her bread and let it sit in the soup while she waved her hand. A spider appeared, Hannah scurried away from it and put the rest of her food in the bag it came in. Random summoning's fun, I wondered how many she could keep summoned as I imagined a swarm of low level monsters storming through the alleyway. That would be a great distraction if we could sneak in. 

I put some kibble in front of it and the kibble overrides the summoning contract with Hannah's help. The spider ate less than the rat so I quickly moved under the door and into the inside which was lit by two lanterns, one by the door further into the building and the other on the table the guards were playing some card game while one read. I didn't see anything different from before so I moved further inside. I saw a longer version of the hallway in the other location and went as far as I could towards the other side before taking the last door on the left. 

Inside there was a man, he was human in appearance and leaning against a shelf, shifting to touch another when he finished. He was browsing the ingredients of the panty before picking one and putting it into his inventory. I went around the opposite side of the room and tried to enter the barrel formation in the same spot. This time I get stopped and can't go any further even if there is nothing even there. A barrier must be in place then, makes sense that a bigger store has better defenses. 

I try multiple angles but nothing gets through. I only have a minute left before the kibble wears off and I'm going to have to try again. The man suddenly disappeared up the wall and looks at a different shelf. I mention this because he didn't use the ladder, it was teleportation a very useful spell in space magic. I could also now see that he wore bandages at the bottom of his legs, no feet to speak of but the stumps at the end.

Earlier I assumed he was looking at the ingredients but he was too close for that even for the weak of sight. I didn't have a lot of time so I just watched him so I could theorize with Hannah on how to get through the barrier.

I got closer and in my final few seconds I saw him licking each ingredient's container before moving onto the next. He was a monster like Poppy, except less so. As I thought this he turned to look at me and jumped to smash me with his closed fist.  

He had no face, only a mouth smiling as he killed the spider I controlled.

1