48
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To note how treasure chests work, they are specifically designed to be random but also considerate to who opens them. A chest would rarely give a bow to a swordsman or a alchemist recipe to a berserker. That was half the reason those sorts of recipes were rare with the other being that those classes with recipes were usually not combat classes. 

I hadn't actually opened a chest for a while, giving the chance to Greg and Hannah with Denny also being content just to watch.  Daggers like what Denny and I use are a lot cheaper on the market despite what the system trying to buy them for the same price. To save money we always held off on opening them since we hadn't had a competition like this before. 

When I inspected the item, its name was the retractable bladed spatula. Bladed I thought while picking it up. Suddenly a sharp blade came out of the originally wooden spatula. I jumped from the surprise and the blade retracted itself. I looked further into its weapon abilities and stats. It was average for a weapon of uncommon rank with only the one skill of retractable blade. My class meanwhile gave me bonuses to using it.

Skills only appear on your status screen when you use them, so I now had level 38 spatula wielding skill that leeched off both knife wielding and my cooking skill for spatulas. Even had great proficiency with it.

This was pretty cool. I put my butchers knife away since the class bonuses were too good and I needed my other hand for treats for now. I activated the auto consume skill which was up to level 13. 

I picked up the gold in the chest and it disappeared, the tree's entrance fading when I exited. 

"I guess its time to test this out then" I murmured as I walked away from where I had come. Supposedly the gazelles were around this area so I kept on the lookout. Soon enough I found a group of the gazelles actually running away from the pride of lions. One got caught and the pride dropped the pursuit. The gazelles were on the lower part of the D rank so I had a pretty easy time catching up with a treat. Once I got close enough I treated the spatula like a knife and cut down two gazelles with a neck slash. 

As they were bleeding out I switched to another treat and through a couple wind blades around to get 4 more kills. I had gotten enough for the quest but I'd still stick around the dungeon for another couple hours to see what I could find. I had heard light essence, an ingredient for high grade holy water could be found here. With enough of it I could trade for the water I needed since the church always needed light essence for its continued activities. 

I don't know exactly how but the light element is connected to the holy element so they use it for a lot more than just their main cash cow. Cursed people were REALLY big suckers for the stuff, especially the nobility. High grade wasn't the highest grade of holy water and it was one of the many items that worked on their own ranking system that was specifically for itself.  The highest grade was divine holy water and only a couple bottles were made each year, sold at absolutely ridiculous prices to the wealthiest people in the world. 

I had killed another group of the light monkeys and worked around a spike trap when I saw other adventurers fighting the lion pride. They seemed to be doing alright but one of them made a run for it, screaming his head off in my direction. He was a dogkin with purple fur and he seemed to be a duelist of some sorts with the rapier he was running with.

The lioness chasing him continued to run after him into the tall grass. He was being an idiot for going into the grass but I didn't think he'd die from the short run. Even if running away was standard protocol for those with low health and high speed. The screaming was supposed to both let the rest of the party know where he was while attracting other monsters to chase him so the monsters remaining could be handled easier.

There was another scream from where I thought the guy was so I decided to help him out, it was something of professional curtesy to help out other adventurers if it was clear they needed it. Most of the time the rescued even paid the savior with some gold as thanks.

I sent a wind blade out to cut through the grass to hear a roar from the lioness who had a line running across her left knees. The adventurer had also gotten hit but he was already drinking what I assumed was his health potion. 

I tried a basic thrust and it worked almost just like my knife previously, just longer and faster with slightly less strength behind it. The lioness moved to bite me after I got a good hit to its shoulder. I used a wind blade to stop its assault and added a wind blade to the spatula to both sharpen and add an extra edge to the top.

I finished the lioness off after getting hit twice because of this annoying light that was just blinding.

I had started to loot it when I saw the adventurer on the ground panting with a terrified look in his eyes. He wasn't going to be going back to help his party anytime soon. It looked like he had some sort of shock, my identify didn't work since he was high leveled enough but I assumed it was that his health was really low despite his now fresh look. Most people were terrified to be below half health, even if they were in no danger at all. 

He a couple years older than me but still a few levels below me. He mumbled something and took out some gold to give to me but when he looked me in the eyes he froze. "Lee Baker? But what are you doing here? How'd you get in the city?"

He was asking some hard questions that I wasn't ready to answer. My dough mask had been left behind since it was a hinderance to fighting since I was unused to it. Now this guy in front of me who was likely teaming up with some higher ranked adventurers he knew was looking at my face. A face that had a big bounty on it.

I needed to either kill him or run away quickly because there were a lot less lions roaring than a couple minutes ago.

1