Chapter 5: Flames and Wraith
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Commission was busy! All hands were on deck when Lala arrived, “What’s going on?!” She confusedly asked as Eileen quickly stopped to fill her in. “We found a huge shadow signature in the park, but it vanished before we could move! We’re trying to track it now.” She explained, “Miss Allegra is gonna stay with Leah for the time being so it’s all on us to figure it out!” Lala nodded as Eileen quickly kept talking, “Quick get on the PC there and see if you can single out any shadow signatures in the area that match the huge one!” Lala quickly nodded and hopped on the PC scanning all over for a shadow signature. As she scanned her eyes widened as she found one, even just the leftovers stunned her.

“I… I found it! I think.” Lala called over the other two girls as they came to look at what Lala had found. The first one to speak up was Crystal, “Woah, get a load of that hehe,” Crystal spoke with a high and mighty tone arrogant to her core, “looks like that’s the target. I feel bad for ‘em showing up on my radar ahahaha!” As Crystal continued to arrogantly giggle she felt a slap against the back of her head which quickly shut her up as Eileen began to speak. “Don’t get full of yourself yet, I’ve never seen a signature like this…” She put her hand to her chin, thinking carefully about this situation.

Eileen after a bit of thinking looks back to Lala and Crystal, “Alright you two let’s track this signature and find the monster, but you’re gonna have to be careful, especially you, Crystal!” The purple haired girl flinched a bit as she got called out personally but nodded nonetheless nods in agreement. “Alright start preparing, we'll take off in an hour!” Eileen announced as she left the room to wait for her friends. Lala and Crystal took some time to make sure they had everything prepared.

After they had all finished preparing the group met up outside of HQ, in her hand Eileen had the item needed for them. A small radar in her hands had locked onto the signature as she pointed forward, “Ok, looks like it’s quite a ways away let’s go.” She said pointing off into the distance, and they began their trek. Crystal as usual couldn’t help herself and had to complain, “It’s taking too long, why’s it sooooo faaaaarrr! Arrrghhhh!! I’m from an elite family you know! I shouldn’t have to be sent on drivel like this!” She whined and moaned but the others just ignored it, Eileen chuckled and whispered to Lala, “Don’t worry you’ll get used to it, she's always like this.” Despite the moaning and complaining from their friend, the path seemed uneventful, until finally they saw it.

In the horizon a large castle stood, hidden behind fog in the forest. It was far out of the way, old and dark. “That definitely looks like the place!” Eileen said under her breath to the other two. Lala stepped up and took out a pair of binoculars to get a better look, “I don’t see anyone outside of it, or around it… this place looks old and abandoned.” Eileen nodded her head, “That’s how they lure in their prey. A tired wanderer sees this old building and decides to go in, next thing ya know you’re monster food or your soul is getting absorbed or somethin’!” Lala shuddered a bit as Crystal also chimed in, “Yes, this is a common tactic for high ranking monsters. A large fortress to live in luxury as well as lure in weary travelers, it’s a rather intriguing method.” she explained.

Lala nodded her head as she listened to the two, she was the rookie here of course, “Geez what a first mission to be sent on…” she thought to herself as the trio began to move in again. As they approached Lala felt something off, suddenly Eileen put her hand out in front of the other two. “Hold on now something’s coming… had a feelin’ we wouldn’t be able to get in this easily.” Despite her warning a grin spread across her face, “there’s a monster around hehe leave this one to me I’ve been itchin’ for a bit of action!” Crystal sighed and pulled Lala back a bit, “and she’s always telling us to be careful but as soon as she feels something. Well… at least we’ll have some entertainment, maybe that’d make this accursed walk worth it…” Lala didn’t see anything going on, “What’s going on… I don’t see anything?” Crystal just smirked and motioned for her to watch.

“Alright spirit go ahead ‘n show yourself!” Eileen yelled as suddenly the air got cold, and a scythe like armed formed. She smirked “A fresh one huh… a wraith!” The spirit slowly formed and materialized, a shadowy cloak with no face, cold arms ending in scythes as the spirit floated in the air coldly. “Yep that’s a wraith…” a red aura began to radiate from Eileen as she grimaced at it, “I’ll put your soul to rest so you don’t have to follow this damn monster anymore! Let’s light it up! Eidolon of Flames, Eruptia!” A huge burst of energy came from her and a dog formed, Flames igniting from its body as it landed in front of her.

The wraith wasted no time, it was silent and quick as it suddenly lunged, slashing its scythe like arms at breakneck speeds! Eileen quickly jumped back to avoid it as she began her own attack, her eidolon opening its mouth and unleashing a torrent of flame, “Sorry wraith, I’m in a lil rush.” She smirked, assuming victory was had, however a scythe slashed through the fire and flew out directly towards the girl. She jumped back however the scythe cut a deep gash into her leg, “tch… fine then. Guess I’ll get serious too!” she put her hand over her Eidolon and smirked, “Let’s have some sparks fly, Eruptia! Integrate!” The eidolon was absorbed into her as she closed her fist, a red flame bursting from it as she launched herself forward using momentum from the fire to go at high speeds. 

Lala tried to step forward to help her friend but Crystal grabbed her wrist and shook her head, “Don’t, we need to save our energy. If this is just a random wraith from here who knows what lies inside… leave it to her.” Lala didn’t like that, but she knew she had to listen as she begrudgingly nodded and sat back down, watching the battle play out. Eileen continued her attack, swinging a flaming punch directly into the wraith but stopping her fist inside of it. “Heh, so you’re not hurt by physical attacks but you can still feel my flames can’tcha!” She said intensifying the flame as the wraith quickly pulled back smoke now radiating from it as it spun and swung its scythes. Eileen thought to herself now, “So physical moves go through it, and if I hit head on it does nothing… I gotta blow this thing to bits from the inside out!” She smirked, “Bein’ intangible is pretty good, isn't it? You’re one annoying spirit.”

She flew and put her fist in again, igniting but the Wraith was prepared as it readied itself, slashing a deep gash into Eileen’s chest as she quickly pulled back. “Ack! So you got some fight in ya after all…” She said, a little stunned, “Never seen a wraith like this…” she continued her attack not relenting for even a moment. “Gh…” she quickly dropped to the ground from the wound.

From this spot she aimed her hand and let loose some softer flames, creating a smokescreen around herself and then from them. Her Eidolon launched itself, now separate from Eileen once again as it flew into the wraith and ignited. Burning it once more as the wraith swung wildly unable to stop the attack before the eidolon once again retreated back into Eileen’s smokescreen. As the smoke clears and she’s ready. “Come on stupid wraith, is that all you got?!”

The wraith shook itself off and flew at her as she smirked she held her fist out as the wraith swung its scythe once more, and as soon as she felt the scythe collide with her other leg she ignored the pain and quickly let her fist ignite once more, “Gh! To think I’m just trading blows with this thing… I gotta wrap it up soon…” The Wraith now flew back again, smoke radiating from it. Piercing red eyes from the hood as it prepared itself one last time.

The wraith launched itself at her again but this time she was ready, using the flames from her hands she launched into the sky, flying around, “Think just cause ya cut my leg and chest a bit I’m immobile? Man you really gotta think more wraith!” She laughed. She flew about, now throwing herself forward again towards the wraith putting her hand into the head of it, “alright… I messed around enough…” she ignited her flames however instead of a red burn, they burned a gentle white as the wraith finally let a noise loose.

A loud otherworldly scream from the spirit as it eventually burned away to nothingness leaving only white smoke behind as it vanished. Eileen frowned now as she dropped to the floor sitting putting a hand over her heart, “I was talkin’ pretty bad but ya never wanted that right. Just a citizen who got killed… turned into a wraith under that bastard’s control. Rest in peace wraith, glad you could pass on.” She frowned and looked up at the fortress as Crystal ran up to her with a first aid kit.

“Ha, you got reckless and got hurt again here. It’ll stiiiiing!” She said with a sing-song tone, Eileen’s face went from serious to surprise, “Oi! Oi oi oi do- GAH!” She’s cut off as Crystal applies something to the wound before bandaging. “Done! You really gotta be more careful and stop rushing in, idiot!” she said chopping her head, “Ow… heh sorry. Still… who knows what's in there… we gotta be careful. Whatever it is though, I sure as hell ain’t gonna let ‘em get away with it!” she punched her fist into her hand determinedly as Crystal smirked, Lala finally ran up to them, “What was that, Eileen?” Eileen nodded and explained, “A wraith. A human spirit that died fairly recently, from the feel of it that thing was only a few months old. Any longer it could grow into a dangerous spirit.” Crystal chimed in, “That’s odd. I’ve never seen a wraith with that level of power, usually they’re dealt with handily…” Lala nodded in understanding.

“Maybe the monster it works with can enhance its minions?” Lala mused as both Crystal and Eileen’s eyes widened. “A monster that buffs its minions… damn.” The three stood by side and nodded with each other, “Let’s go!” Eileen shouted and the three finally entered the castle. Lala gulped nervously as she stepped foot inside, looking around the entrance hall.

The inside was regal and noble. Everything was high class inside, like befitting royalty Lala’s eyes widened as she looked around as the others looked around, “What the… the pressure of shadow energy in here is intense… who knows what we’ll find around here! Look alive you two!” Crystal shouted at her allies, sweat dripping from her forehead as the three proceeded deeper inside.

0