Chapter 08 ✦ Amatheos Strike
11 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Her eyes widened, she froze in place; her heartbeat increasing drastically, each of her breaths frigid and strained. She glimpse at the hand, its cold and rough skin clashing with hers of warmth and silk; a touch firm yet unsettled, sending shivers down her spine. Moments passed, for she was eventually freed from the gripping presence. She slowly turned around, and lock eyes with a familiar face.

"You..!" She hushed. A hooded figure stood a mere distance from her; his attire of peculiar style, his visage hidden for only his eyes could be seen. One eye glistering like a gemstone... Her expression frowned, yet a sense of relief surged within her. "It was you... the one who saved me..." Her words were tentative. She took a few steps back, unsure of what could follow. A croak suddenly echoed; she looked up to spot Sephora drifting towards her. Her winged companion landed on her shoulder, her beak gently brushing against her cheek. She could not sense him... or perhaps she felt no harm would come from him... Her body eased up, her expression lightened for she trusted her companion's composure. No warning meant no danger; this she would stake her life on.

"This geode is of tremendous value..." She spoke the truth, for the man crossed his arms. "I was drawn to this place... perhaps even to this raw Magicae." Although hidden from her, his expression was both intrigued and ruffled. He sauntered to the case, closed it and conjured a spellock to keep it sealed. A silence followed.

"Are these your quarters?" She eventually spoke.

"A Spellwarden's keep..." A scowl followed, cursing at his spontaneous reply.

"I believed this place to be abandoned- My apologies for overstepping..." She stated.

"When the Time of Amatheos strikes the Twilight of Fall, a shadowborn shall climb to the heights of the Horologe." His reply granted him a gripping look. Her eyes traveling across the cloaked man, she tried to decipher his darkened aura; there was something compelling about him, strange yet almost familiar. "You were meant to come here... and I as well... but now-" He had fulfilled the old woman's foresight, unable to resist the lure that plagued him, but an immediate urge to withdraw took hold of him; a sense of panic, as something within him awoke from a long slumber. He gestured towards whence she came, a silent but clear demand for her to leave. She understood his behest, but did not yet comply, her eyes traveling from the man to the encased geode.

"How did you come across such pure Crystal?" He was not quick to answer. "Please..." She insisted. "Answer me this, and I will take my leave- you have my word."

"I got it from a mark." He growled.

"Do you have any idea how much spellforce it contains- even in its dormant state?" Its magic long waned, the geode still held a consequential connection to the Dominion.

"I'm a Spellwarden." He pointed out.

"Even so..." He frowned at her response. "One of six Hexad Elementals... found like this..." She locked eyes with his. "I was sent here with a task I do not quite grasp... but I now know this place to be the key to understanding and fulfilling my mandate." She noticed his dismissive expression.

"You have your answer- there's nothing more for you here... you have to leave..." He turned away from her.

"Seek out the one of Shadows... guide the Light back to the one of Darkness.. the Vein must be healed..." She recited her mentor's words. "You're a Spellwarden... I may need your help-"

"I can't help you." He response was firm. True to her word, she took her leave.

"Adhafera..." She heard his voice, as she was exiting through the window. "The House of Pales down in Greystone Square- you'll find her there." He turned in her direction, but averted her gaze. "Maybe she can help you..."

Thank you. Her expression softened, a small nod showing her silent gratitude. She left momentarily, her winged companion once again taking flight; circling around a dark alley, she showed her the way to the derelict district, risen from the ruins of the old world.

 

8