Chapter 12 ✦ Maleveos Lullaby
11 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An agreement had been made, a somewhat bitter acceptance of her plea. True to her words, she conjured a glyph; her level of mastery was unmatched, for even his uncharitable façade couldn't conceal his astonishment. Her spellforce was in perfect harmony with him, feeling his own slowly regaining strength. A binding followed, small ink markings forming on his skin, as her hands joined his. He did not flinch. He did not withdraw. Her eyes were closed, his wide and piercing through hers. For moments longer, they stood still, a shimmering mist swirling around them. And then, came a complete darkness: not a sliver of light, yet he could see her clear as day. She took a small step forward, and then another; their hands still joined, she took yet another, their faces now only inches from each other.

"Petra Terraes - Stone of Old - Shield of Hearts - Petra Terraes..." She whispered, and let go of him. The darkness was lifted in an instant. He looked at his hands with both fascination and incertitude, as the ink slowly faded away. He now had within him, the ability to summon the power of Petra, a powerful Magicae that very few could wield, for even the most skilled Spellwarden could succumb under its force.

"..." He backed away from her, his expression a curious clash of emotions, yet she could see a flicker of gratitude amidst the chaos. He glanced in direction of Adhafera; the old woman appeared in deep slumber, her countenance that of peace. He refocused on Flores, and remained in complete silence, before finally heading for the exit, a quick head gesture for her to follow.

The pair made their way to the Blackfern District, the dim moonlight reflecting on a waving mist, coating the surroundings with a cobalt hue. Following the same route he had originally taken, some differences soon appeared conspicuous; many of the buildings appeared greener in color, as if covered in moss, the cobblestone streets filled with tangled roots.

"Something doesn't feel right-" He warned her.

"I can sense it too... a disturbance- strong and wicked..." This tainted atmosphere was not unfamiliar to her.

"Don't let your guard down." He continued through a long and narrow alleyway, leading out to the collapsed building. A shocking sight awaited them however, for the House of Thecarius stood in its entirety, no debris nor visible damage anywhere.

"That's-" Her eyes widened, her expression mirrored by an equally dismayed Tevell. "That's impossible..!?" She walked to the foundation, a hand brushing its surface, as to assess whether or not this was some kind of illusion.

"Everything's the same as before..." His eyes trailed across the building. "But no guards this time..." His expression frowned, as he noticed three skeletons on the frontyard, several sprouts growing out of their bones. What happened here?

"Old Magicae was used here... to rebuild this house... to kill these men..." She joined his side; a shivering feeling traveled down her spine, a dreadful sight she had seen once before. "The work of a powerful Maleveos..." She kneeled next to one of the skeleton; she plucked out a bud, roll it up in a small piece of parchment paper, and tied it around her feathered companion. "Mentor Custos must be informed right away." Sending Sephora away presented many risks, but the importance of the matter outweighed her own safety. May the Blessings of the Olds guide you. She prayed, as she watched the graceful Raven fly off into the distant skies.

"There was a Nekrosis Glyph placed on this building before..." His eyes narrowed. "I had to use a spellgap to get in..." He could still feel the scorched marks on his skin. "But now-"

"I can assure you, that no such Glyph has been conjured this time." She could see deep concern on his face, and even a sliver of fear flickering in his eyes. She sauntered to the door, and reached for the doorknob; something was inside, dark yet nonthreatening. "You can proceed in safely- I promise you." She extended an arm to him, her expression soft and reassuring. He did not move, a faint quiver in his hands, his body feeling strained.

"Tevell." He felt warmth, a gentle touch, as she grabbed his hands. Her eyes locked with his, she pulled him in, her steps slow and mindful. A heavy weight was lifted from his body the moment they made it inside; his expression had shifted to that of relief, but a new feeling now plagued his very soul. Enticing yet terrifying. Needed but forsaken.

The door behind them suddenly slammed closed, a powerful spellock sealing the only way out, imprisoning the pair within a cold mist. The interior appeared boundless, for no walls were in sight; a darkness stretched infinitely, the entirety of the ground a still layer of obsidian water.

"We're not inside the House of Thecarius-" His whispered voice echoed. "This is-"

"The Void of Mors..." Her own words frightened her, as she brought her arms across her chest. A chill reached her very core, like ice needles piercing through her skin. Neither of them moved, all of their attention focused on one thing: a distant chant. A voice that of a woman; a melody both alluring yet macabre, soothing yet appalling all the same. All around them. Resonating within their minds. Pulsing within their hearts. Strong and magnetizing.

 

8