02-Sisters
263 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a cold, windless night, a shadow passed between the alleys of a small town; the shadow moved with a clear goal in mind, past lit windows filled with noises of families sharing a warm dinner and the comforts away from the frigid cold of late autumn.

While passing a noticeably larger building, the shadow abruptly stopped as a door banged open mere feet away, leading a drunk man into the dark, away from loud, rowdy cheering and muted music.

The shadow turned to follow the man as he made his way to a barren oak, clearly intent on relieving himself. The man remained oblivious, too intent on getting out of the cold to notice a light scuffle behind him and the lightening of his coin purse.

Its brief distraction passed, and the shadow continued, leading it to the edge of the town where a squat shack sat, gaps in the boards allowing any slight breeze to pass straight through. The flicker of a fire passing intermittent light out into the night shows the shadow approaching to slip behind a cracked crate and through a hole in the wall.

"Sis?" A frail voice speaks out, bringing attention to a small girl huddled close to the fire wrapped in rags. Her gaunt face was visible in the firelight, bright emerald eyes looking out into the dark framed by ratty dark moss green hair and two small spiraled antlers peeking through.

"Yeah, Zverine, it's just me." Stepping into the light and standing up straight, the shadows seemed to flow off the figure, revealing a tall, lithe woman with sharp features, high cheekbones, deep brown eyes, and viridian hair cascading down her back. Two snapped antlers, worn through time but still clearly recent, extend from her head.

Reaching into her cloak, she says, "I brought some bread and vegetables, so eat up quick," before handing the wrapped package to the girl and arranging herself on the floor close to the fire.

Zverine quickly unwrapped the package and ate much of the food before abruptly stopping and tentatively asking, "Medeina, have you eaten any?"

She hesitated before smiling and replying, "No, hon, but you're gonna need all of it if you want to grow up tough like me."

Slowly, Zverine gathered up what was left and handed it back to her sister, her bright eyes imploring. Medeina quickly caved and took the food, thanking her sister.

-------------------

Later in the night, Medeina sat by the dying fire, Zverine tucked into her side, looking through a hole in the roof at the far side of the ring, trying to make out the shape of any cities so far away.

As she began drifting off, a noise nearby startled her awake. She remained still and attempted to hear any more noises; not long after, she heard more in increasing intensity. Realising that this likely meant a group nearby, she gently woke Zverine, covering her mouth to prevent noise. Once sure she was awake, she placed a finger to her mouth and slowly stood up, shadows swarming up her body and wreathing her in darkness.

Looking through a crack in the wall, the first thing she can see in the predawn light is a large group of tall. Creatures, making their way to the edge of town less than 50 meters from the hut she was in; understanding the attack for what it was, she turned and quickly gathered her sister and her belongings and led her to the far side of the shack, looking past a battered down door and seeing no one she ushered her sister out and away.

Hearing a scream, her sister turned, but she quickened her pace, pulling Zverine with her towards a forest edge. As they neared the treeline, a noise behind them caused Medeina to turn, seeing one of the creatures at the shack they had just left staring right at them; a wide grin split its face as it began making its way towards the two.

Medeina turned and pushed her sister past the tree line, telling her, "Go ahead; I'll distract it long enough for you to get away, and I'll find you further in, I promise.

With little hesitation, Zverine shot off through the trees to a loud shout behind, her sister's taunts fading into the background, overwhelmed by the all-encompassing noise of blood pumping in her ears.

Seconds turned to minutes as the sun brightened above her, but still, she didn't stop running.

Coming across a burbling creek, she slowed to a stop, breath coming in short pants. as she washed her face and looked around, spotting a small ruined Woodfort atop a rise through the trees. With exhaustion overcoming her and no other shelter in sight, she made her way to the entrance. Looking into the darkened doorway with no clue what awaited inside, Zverine took a deep breath and entered.

14