Ch.177
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"─Two Rapture units confirmed visually!"

The familiar, melodious voice issued a tense warning.

In that moment, arms and legs moved. Both are distinctly different from those of women.

On one side, a mechanical arm clad in military uniform and a coat reached out, its ominous red monocular core shining as it closed in on the approaching enemy machine.

On the other side, long legs wrapped in a combat suit with a digital camouflage pattern of light brown moved. Just before colliding with the enemy machine's side, inside the combat suit, artificial muscles tightly packed beneath the Gadesium skin contracted, achieving the optimal hardness to deliver a lethal blow.

Almost simultaneously, a heavy impact sound echoed.

As fists or legs were swung, significant damage was inflicted on the enemy machine.

The two Rapture units, scattering small and large components, rolled on the ground like balls, never to rise again. They either ceased all movement or exploded into dust.

"─Disconnected from the operator leads to such a predicament. It's not much different in Ark or Eden, isn't it."

"─Hmph..."

"─So, what were we talking about?"

Though the response was delayed due to vigilance in the surroundings, each person raised their weapons, and amidst that, the sound of sleeves and legs being brushed off echoed.

"─Ah, right, I remembered. Was it 'go back'?"

"─That's right."

"─I see. I was starting to worry if my ears were playing tricks on me. It seems I was used to hearing captivating voices from beautiful women."

Both tall individuals, each with a different vector, faced each other with a low, calm voice.

One had icy blue eyes narrowed.

The other had dark brown eyes, a mix of machinery and flesh, narrowed in a similar manner.

"─You should understand the reasons best."

"─Oh?"

With their eye levels matched, sparks seemed to fly in the created space, visible even to the point of illusions.

"─I don't sense any intention from you to execute the operation properly."

"─I was aware that I had the discretion to use Unchained or not. I didn't expect the reliability of a single shot against expendables to be that high."

"What are you trying to say?"

"Well, nothing. No... other... agenda. I just admired how much importance you placed on planning the operation. Above all, I don't recall ever saying that I wouldn't fight Nihilists in any way."

"Nonsense."

Both commanders of the units or squads under their command were uneasy.

One second before the bloodshed began, the atmosphere could be felt involuntarily.

"─So, do you intend to just watch as the enemy, who should be taken down in one shot, repairs itself? "

"─If you've inflicted that level of damage, there should be no problem blowing off the head along with the brain. The nanomachine self-repair function... probably won't catch up. Surely, you're not incapable of that, are you?"

The tall commander with silver hair had veins popping on his temple.

"─I see. So that's your logic. Let me ask you then. Have you considered the losses and damages our side would suffer if the defeat occurred? What is the possibility of the operation failing?"

The helmeted, tall commander, with veins popping beneath the helmet, replied.

"─Even though I choose my words carefully when speaking, it's a bit irritating to be seen as a fool who spouts out simplistic ideas. While I don't care about others' opinions, being perceived as someone who thoughtlessly blurts out things is a bit annoying."

Both continued to glare at each other. With a glance, it seemed that their intense gazes alone could kill a Tyrant-class.

"You have no qualification to participate in this operation."

"─Unfortunately, I operate under my own discretion."

"That's decided by Ark, not HERE and NOW."

"─Even on the surface."

"Commander."

As they were on the verge of deciding which fist would strike first, an unexpected voice interrupted.

Instantly, the mismatched gazes of both commanders shifted.

"Ah, no... Commander Johann."

"...What is it, Dorothy?"

A pilgrim leading a unit, whose appearance resembled a white angel with expanded armaments, looked up at the commander.

"We don't have time. We don't know when we'll encounter Nihilists. I recommend a swift recovery of operator communication."

A logical argument that left no room for disagreement.

While it struck the ears of Eden's commander, the Ark's commander, without averting his gaze, opened a pouch on his body armor. He took out a soft pack, shook it, and then lit his cigarette with an oil lighter in a practiced manner.

─I don't want to admit it, but he has good taste.

"─I see. I understand that you want to assert yourself. However, what can you do about that? Do you have extraordinary abilities that can change the course of the battle? Can you survive without Nikke's support even carrying injured subordinates?"

"I think I can at least run away while carrying wounded subordinates."

"─Let me correct part of your statement. Even so, do you have some extraordinary ability even if you can survive ONLY even without the support from your subordinates(Nikke)?"

With a puff of purple smoke and the cigarette still in his mouth, the Ark's commander shrugged his shoulders adorned with body armor.

"─Well, who knows? How about a test?"

At that statement, the cheek of the Eden commander twitched for a moment.

"Cheeky youngster... Fine. Since it's come to this, I'll personally test you."

Almost as if asking for a gentle request, the Ark's commander exhaled purple smoke from the corner of his lips and tossed the cigarette into a portable ashtray while slightly loosening the corner of his mouth.

"─However, if you insist on asserting yourself without any special strength or ability, at that time, I'll throw you into the flames of Nihilister."

It wasn't a threat—probably not for these two.

Indeed, the Ark's commander, with his canine teeth peeking out from the slightly loosened corner of his mouth, seemed to be ready to respond.

"Hah. That's what I hope for. With you doing that, I shouldn't have trouble for the fire that lights cigarettes."

-----

Author: By the way, speaking of which, in the mini-game of this event, hand grenades appear.

I, Snow White, am a little happy because, even though it's a game—a simulation, I recognize that hand grenades can cause some damage to the Rapture units (though I use hand grenades quite a bit).

0