Chapter 1 – The Necromancers Tide and Ritual
243 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello!

The Author here, Welcome to my story! Hope you enjoy! But to enjoy better work, help me by giving feedback and some love! Keeps me motivated and constantly getting better!

In a Land far far away, worlds apart …

Within Mount Wilanro, far away from civilized lands and within the badlands themselves, was a collective of the mightest necromancers ever known in history. They have toppled great empires and killed the greatest of mortal warriors. It was through their efforts that all sapient nation of the world gathered and created The Great Alliance. The first of its like in recorded history. Never before, not even when the Demon King had invaded, did a threat challenge the existence of mortal kind as they; barely on the fringes, they receive no attention from the true power brokers on the world. Now, after decades of silence and a lack of action from them, that cause mass panic within the circle of the alliance, their whereabouts have been uncovered.

The Goddess of Light sent down a dream to her prophetess; vivid like none before. Within it, she spoke of a danger even the primordial dragon kings of old would shy away from. She showed them gathering and from their gathering darkness would reign supreme unless every nation came together and sent their most powerful to halt their plan - or at the least delay it for a time. They planned to summon a most heinous being into this world. One the primordial dragons had fought when this world was but a babe, and even then they lacked the power to end him. So they choose to banish him from the world and into the void; a mistake they knew would one day cost them. They, the necromancers, planned to summon their god - Zenki’l - he of chaos, he of darkness, he of absolute death.

Now their plans might find the light of day, and the world will end ever so soon

~~~

I am Velenos Revesis. A Powerful and mighty ‘Necromancer’. The leader of the Dark Guild Immortus Livenous; the most powerful among the twelve. The greatest of my kind. Yet, my people and I have little hope. We are those shunned and disgraced by society for our dark deeds. Hunted and prosecuted for all our actions. Our existence is considered an abomination of life. Today is a turning point for us. Either we succeed and thrive or die a most horrific death. We stand here, all two hundred and seven of us, committed to finishing this ritual (Our last glimmering particles of Hope) at all costs no matter the consequences. Even though, we are still afraid, uncertain, and hesitant in our actions. For at our door stand tens of thousands of soldiers looking for our demise.

They of all nations east of our home in this forgotten land, they of Elves, Humans, Centaur, DragonKin, the tribal Beastkin, and Dwarves from the Mountain Range Califis. They do not understand the glory we seek to bring upon these dead lands. For the blind cannot see without experiencing sight first. We only seek to bring salvation to our fellow people, no matter their race. All we seek is to summon our Dark God Zenki’l and build around him a most glorious kingdom encompassing all of Nervanis. We would bring equality to all! Women would be treated equally, slavery abolished, and the destitute will be destitute no longer. The poor would finally have enough to spend for luxury, rather than living day to day wondering when they would not have enough for a meal. It is our greatest goal, and the thing our god would achieve. 

Our logistician Master Frank Abdicult, master summoner of dark and vengeful spirits, a short and very slimy fellow - always wearing his yellow robes - had somehow predicted this reaction from the neighboring nations. How he did this without a clairvoyance spell is still beyond me. He had argued for many years to prepare a defensive effort to delay any resistance to the holy tide of darkness. But, we found his fanciful tales of the Dragonkin participating, in any event, a bit unrealistic at the time. Thankfully he had somehow convinced me.

Imagining that cold delicacy, he called Ice A’ Creme left Velenos drooling and wishing he still had a cup left filled ready to be devoured.

“Velenos…” Frank called in his nasal ways while looking at a hologram of the defenses placed all around the labyrinth, “all self-mobilizing defenses have been set up. I still think we should have a few of the weaker students raise a few skeletons to assist in the defensive effort. Those golems won't hold forever.” He turned around to stare at me, his eyes sparkling like they did when he convinced me the first time. But, I am a man of fortitude and will not falter.

“They will hold long enough Master Frank of Dark and Vengeful Spirits. We only need one hour and forty-five minutes to complete the ritual. We also cannot waste any personal mana on anything, we need every last drop to succeed. Now, go find Master Sybolis of Ancient Rituals, Archived Spells, and Dark Summonings. And don’t forget decorum! Master Frank of dark and vengeful spirits! We must not forget our achievements, for they make us unique,” said Velenos, indignation oozing out of every word he said. 

“Bah! What is the point for these long-winded names when they won’t mean anything in a few hours? Our god will abolish the root cause of evil within the people…” After a heavy pause, Master Frank uttered one word that caused all surrounding members to heave and Gag, “Individualism”

Hearing that most accursed word, Velenos heaved like the others.

“Master Frank, watch what you speak!”

As Velenos berated Frank, Master Sybolis finally appeared. Sybolis was an Elf with an unusually robust build considering his lineage as a High Elf. At roughly five foot eleven and almost four feet wide from shoulder to shoulder. He was not known for much, but what he was known for, he was unparalleled at. His only weakness was his lack of communication skills.

“Ah … Master Sybolis of Ancient Rituals, Archived Spells, and Dark Summonings. Its good of you to finally show up.” said Velenos in one long breath. In answer to Velenos, Sybolis simply Grunted.

Undeterred by his colleague's lack of speech, he kept speaking without pause extolling his own many titles and praising any part of this ritual he even accidentally looked at. That is until Sybolis actually spoke with the gruffest voice imaginable. One would believe he was related to a swamp Creles on its final legs, preparing to either shut down or simply explode.

“Velenos,” he said with a long pause, breathing in roughly for no apparent reason. “Preparations are complete. Nothing left to.... do except… to begin,” Having spoken more than he normally would speak for a day, he simply pointed to his assistant and walked away towards another group, leaving a fuming Velenos screaming.

“Does no one have any decorum. No respect for others greatness! I demand to be acknowledged!”

“Umm Master Velenos, Mighty Guild Leader, Greatest of his kind, Master of all arts Necromantic, Master of Shadow Mana, Lead Researcher on his holiness The Dark God, and soon to be the lead ritual point in our greatest achievement to date!” Spoke a voice filled with veneration and admiration. Velenos turned around with an enormous grin and his chest puffed out like a peacock. In front of him was a short kid with a dirty brown hair resembling a mop more than anything else. A freckled face and chubby cheeks put the final touches and he was wearing the students attire given out a few years ago; a blue robe with black stripes running down the middle of their chests. 

“Yes child, what do you want?” answered Velenos, not capable of keeping a large smile on his face.

“Umm. Well, you see. I am Master Sybolis’s of Ancient Rituals, Archived Spells, and Dark Summonings assistant, Lead Assistant Krev Lornum Student of Archived Spells and Crazed Zombie Manipulation.”

“He got an assistant? When? Well no matter, as long as we don’t have to hear that voice again, I am willing to overlook his lack of manners. So why are you here now?” asked Velenos, hoping that his thoughts were not made true. Sybolis had a tendency to write. While on normal occasions that would be a blessing, but when you consider his tiny handwriting and his over explanative style, well you could imagine the difficulty. A page would suddenly turn into fifty. 

“I have master’s final writings of the ritual, outlining the ritual set up, who stands where and who does what. And most importantly what to watch out for. He made sure to write an entire five hundred eighty-seven pages and a half on that alone and considering his super tiny and neat handwriting, well you could imagine how much we have to make sure we are perfect.” answered Krev, oblivious to Velenos’s inner thoughts. 

Velenos was of the belief he was too important to deal with this, so he would throw the responsibility to someone else. But as he was about to leave and send Krev to Master Frank he heard that most horrendous voice again

“This… is extremely important… we must not let a virgin… male of twenty summers die… within the ritual space or we will… all die. Our life forces sucked up… somewhere… has not been recorded… before. Velenos… no skipping… or delegating this! Read it all!” 

Exaggeratedly sighing again. Velenos roughly grabbed the book and began reading. Only after a very boring five hours of reading and getting everyone into position, they were finally ready to begin the ritual. The only thing they needed was the sacrifices! As they waited for the armies outside to finally begin their assault, Velenos was having a discussion with Master Frank.

Velenos said “I can’t believe he made me read that entire book! He actually believes that their might actually be a single man who not only a virgin but twenty years old in this day and age but actually has to be 1/10th satyr!”

“Velenos … you can’t blame him for wanting to be extra safe. Even though that likelihood is so small this might as well turn out to be an interplanar transportation spell grabbing a random child from another dimension…” replied Frank checking off flag after flag and laughing it off without being any wiser. With a sudden flashing of light, the magical wards within the entrance of their labyrinth had been set off.

Velenos and Frank separated running into position within the massive ritual circle with all two hundred and five others. It was time to begin. The sacrifices have come themselves to the slaughterhouse they made.

“Let us begin!” Hollered Velenos, gathering his internal mana and connecting a tendril to the connection source, a massive mana stone unlike any other, that linked all the participants’ mana pools together. 

2