06 A Rose on her grave (3)
321 8 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2.3

Announcement
Reader discretion is advised.

Kathryn sighs, standing by the window on the upper floors of the mansion looking at Rose and her maid entourage leaving the mansion gates.

Rose in this timeline just like most of them, worked as a part-time healer at a local church/shrine. And if things do not change this time, soon she will perform a resurrection miracle on a dead child and then will be called to the capital cathedral to attend the testing for saintess post.

However, in many timelines, she used visiting church as an excuse to get some annoying power-ups or minions. Kathryn(@_@) needs to keep an eye on her, like a concerned parent.

Her heart raced each time she recalled the incident, her first true encounter with her rival.

She wondered if things could be sorted out and she could live happily just like the noble reincarnated villainess who gave up on the prince to live an easy life. But, she also knew that is a pipe dream in this damned web novel. 

But maybe and maybe if she... but that a thought for some other time. For now, she needs someone who could become the eye that watches Rose for her.

As much as she would like to continue her Adventure with Detective Kathryn, she knew better that with her bright extravagant clothes and her well-known personality, playing a sneaky detective outside the mansion would only bring more headaches.

Then, recalled that Kathryn also had lackeys whom she used as her pawns against Rose. 

Aveguard Mansion was full of people who would do anything for anyone if they owned enough power or money. Greed plagued them, and they would snitch or betray at a moment's notice. Thus, though the villainess had many pawns at her disposal, she couldn't choose any random person and order around. She needed someone who could be controlled and would not change sides to the heroine's faction. 

She tried to recall someone who could fit the role perfectly.

'Ah... the elder maid who used to walk with her left side hunched.' she spoke to herself while moving around.

'What was her name... Cruel something.. ah... Why does the author have to use such tongue-twisting names for characters? '

 She went to her room and took out the book, "Book of Survival". And flipped to the page that lists all the characters of VLWTD.

=============

...

...

Davis Merchant (alias)

Daisy Pompington III (deadly)

Decrullla Ashgrott (crazy) 

==============

Yes, it is her, she will do. However, I would need to warn her first not to overdo it. 

===============

Character sheet

Decrulla Ashford

(initial job: maid at Aveguard mansion)

Relationship: Mudane Ashford (mother), Ralphef (fling), fallen noble

Threat level 3/10

Combat - Asgroth Class (authority none)

Description - A 33 year old maid, walks with a noticeable stagger. weathered features and dark circles below her eyes. Doesn't have good relations with the heroine. She worships villainess.

Characteristics - sinner, zealot, anger issues.

Note - Do not act friendly with her, no matter what. Behave like the villainess.

===============

--------------------------------

(present time)

(Rose on her way to the shrine)

From the window, Rose gazed at the town bustling with activity as the heroine's carriage passed through on its way to the local shrine. She reciprocates every greeting with her angelic smile. Amongst the flurry, Rose's gaze caught sight of a familiar figure. A young dwarven lady draped in a mage attire stood there amongst a few adventurers. With a warm smile, she waved enthusiastically towards her, eager to reconnect. 

The elder maid accompanying Rose, smiled seeing the lady across the street, spoke, "Isn't that Betsy? She has grown up to be more charming. I could still remember, how the little dwarf used to come to the mansion, every day asking to only meet you once. Should I ask the driver to halt?"

To Betsy's astonishment, Rose's response was far from what she expected. Rose's expression turned icy, her eyes averted as if she hadn't even noticed Betsy's presence. Confusion and hurt flickered across her features before she quickly composed herself, her hand lowering awkwardly.

"No need to do that, Nana. We need to hurry to the church"

The old maid accompanying her noticed the strange encounter, she couldn't fathom what might have transpired between the two, especially considering Betsy was her best friend before Rose got adopted by the Duke.

The carriage moved forward leaving behind one of her dearest.

------------------------------------------

(?? A distant memory?? )

Amidst the vibrant garden, the laughter of children echoed as they played a game of hide and seek. Little Rose found herself nestled in a burrow between the roots of the large Dydurl tree, her heart racing with excitement. Beside her was her best friend, Betsy who couldn't stop making squirrel noises, Rose pressed a finger to her lips. "Shh, Shay quiet so they won't find us."

Giggling, Betsy nodded clutched her friend's hand and spoke "Don't worry, This spot is the best, no one will ever find us here!"

Their joy bubbled over as they stifled laughter, their spot so cleverly tucked away that the other children's searches proved fruitless. Giggles rippled through the bushes as they watched their friends roam, oblivious to their well-hidden sanctuary.

In their sheltered cocoon, Rose turned to Betsy, curiosity twinkling in her eyes. "Betsy, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Betsy's eyes sparkled with dreams as she leaned in closer, her voice barely above a whisper. "I want to be a mage. And go around the world and discover new things."

Rose's eyes widened in awe. "A mage? That sounds incredible!"

Betsy grinned. "It does, doesn't it?."

Rose gave a hearty smile.

?????????????

Found ya...

A hand covered in tattoos grabbed her hair and pushed her out of the hiding spot. The Next moment, everything around her changes as Rose finds herself being buried alive with her hands tied behind her.

She was in a cemetery somewhere. The little girl was glaring a the two figures who were standing above the hole as the coffin's lid closed. She struggled to free herself but to no avail. Surrendering to her fate, she turned herself to face the cold body of little dwarven girl lying beside her in the same coffin. Emotion overflowing within her. Holding her hand, she cried.

"I am sorry,... I am sorry Betsy... I wasn't strong enough this time too."

---------------------------------------

(Present day)

The carriage stood before a church with a few clerics waiting for its occupant to show herself.

"Rose... We are here." the old maid spoke while shaking her a bit. Rose found herself resting her head on the old maid's shoulder as she caressed her. 

Rose opened her eyes, wiping off the tears and straightening her posture. Then, she came out of the carriage while greeting the clerics with her usual angelic smile.

15