From Empire to Republic – Part 1
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"This is an outrage! These dogs want to destroy our homeland!" - exclaimed Colonel Spada, rising abruptly.

 

"These wretches want to call us tyrants, but just look at the tyrannical republics they support, and it becomes clear to everyone who the true usurper is!" - the Major added.

 

"What's the problem with a republic? If it's for the good of the people, I don't see any harm." - countered the Second Lieutenant.

 

"Harm? Since Platna declared the republic, all sorts of criminals have spread across the country like a plague." - Spada said with a sharp tone.

 

And then, a series of insults against the Republic of Platna were uttered by different members. The officers' imminent hatred and fear of a possible attack from an unknown enemy were evident.

 

Platina people are nothing but vile creatures; there's no reason to compare our people to that rabble. The Lavisquean Republic will not meet the same fate.

 

"The world we're living in is no longer the same. Who is Lavisquean? Who is Platinense? People are weak and merely manipulated in the face of vulnerabilities. Right now, the borders are open, and the streets that were once safe are now overrun with violence. That's why I ask the gentlemen present here: What kind of democratic government will arise from terror and fear? In a scenario like this, the one who promises the most wins, not the most competent."

 

The discussion grew even more heated. The issue wasn't the Republic; everyone knew that Lavisque would return to being an Empire at some point. The entire aristocracy yearned for a new Lavisquean Empire. The problem was that until that return, they would have to deal with a small Trojan horse called the Republic, left behind as a gift by their enemies.

 

"A Republic is the triumph of the people!" exclaimed a voice that resonated throughout the hall.

 

"Who let this man in!" murmured Colonel Spada to himself with a shocked expression.

 

"Do you know him?" Minister Sinon silently asked, sitting beside him.

 

"Korlo Muntgulp, the leader of the Freedom Party. This guy reeks of conspirator!"

 

He was a man of short stature, small but sharp eyes, black hair and mustache. His hair was combed back, but its volume was such that the hairstyle looked like a mane. He had a slender build, and his black suit emphasized his thinness even more. His convex nose gave him a mysterious appearance.

 

"I know many of you are surprised to see my face here because, as you know, I am neither noble nor powerful enough to be in this aristocratic meeting. But understand that I am not here for myself; I am here for the Lavisquean people, a people whose lords want to deny the fundamental right to a democratic rule of law."

 

"You can stop right there!" exclaimed Colonel Spada, rising furiously from his chair.

 

"Who are you to accuse us of being tyrants! It is more than clear that this Republic, imposed by force, aims to destroy Lavisque. Only ill-intentioned traitors would support this regime."

 

Colonel Spada was a man of explosive temperament, a nationalist and a monarchist to the core. He earned the admiration of his soldiers for exposing himself with them on the frontlines several times, which left him with the horrific scars on his face and the loss of movement in his left arm.

 

Muntgulp knew that Colonel Spada was a respected and feared man with serious temperamental issues. But it was precisely because he was straightforward that it was easy to escape his fierce attack by appealing to his pride and nationalism.

 

"Colonel Spada, I know, everyone knows, of your enormous contribution to the nation and your love for the people of this country, but you are greatly offending me by calling me a traitor! The civilians of this nation also faced a terrible war—against hunger, crime, and sadness. I saw and helped these people, Colonel Spada, and I say that by labeling these people as criminals and denying them their rights, you are committing a terrible crime tantamount to treason!"

 

A sudden fury took hold of the Colonel, a torrent of insults were hurled at Muntgulp, forcing General Ghrmo to intervene. Despite this, few were willing to stand with the potential revolutionary until a sudden and unexpected voice exclaimed, "I agree with Mr. Muntgulp."

 

Everyone was perplexed. Senator Lavio Witus declared himself on the side of the revolutionary. Witus was a man of great power and prestige, coming from one of the most powerful and ancient bourgeois families in the entire Empire. But what was impressive was not his origin but his great achievement.

0