I threw it all away
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To my surprise, my consciousness slowly returns to me. But it feels unlike I’ve ever felt before. There’s an ethereal quality to my existence that is unexplainable, but it immediately alerts me to the fact that I am no longer of the Earth.

 

“Captain Franklin. I’ve been awaiting your arrival.”

 

I open my eyes to see the source of those words. Sat a few feet across from me is the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in my life. Her dazzling blue hair is stunning to look at, as is the perfect face beneath it. In her right hand she holds a trident of gold, and her entire body is wrapped in beautiful blue garments that wouldn’t look out of place in ancient Athens.

 

Immediately, I find myself wondering if this woman is truly human.

 

“…might I ask where I am?” Of course, I’ve already guessed the answer.

 

“This is the realm that I believe you humans now refer to as ‘heaven.’ You passed away aboard your ship, and your soul has come here to rest.” Her poker face doesn’t falter at all as she announces my death. It’s likely that she’s seen billions of deaths, so this is no surprise.

 

“I see… then it is time for my eternal rest after all.” Upon regaining consciousness I had maintained a slim hope that I had somehow survived my fate, but this final confirmation causes a twinge of disappointment. 

 

That disappointment, however, is short lived.

 

“…not quite, Captain Franklin.”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Were you truly ready to pass on, you would have been met by my brother. But I yet have plans for you.” The woman’s expression twists into a slight smirk. Her response raises more questions than it answers. But above all else, I know what I must ask.

 

“My lady… who are you?”

 

A smirk still sat upon her face, she rises to her feet, and her body is suddenly enveloped in water. When the water clears, her previous garment has disappeared, and she now wears the clothing and crown of a mythological figure I am very familiar with.

 

“I am the one you know as Poseidon, god of the seas. I have taken great interest in your career, Captain Franklin.”

 

Her heavenly presence is overwhelming. From her shines a light so bright I fear I may go blind. However, eventually my eyes adjust, and I’m able to take in the majesty of the figure before me. Before long, she begins speaking again.

 

“Many have conquered the seas over the years. You are not the first, nor will you be the last. But given your potential, I found myself frustrated at the untimely end to your career. Which is why I petitioned my brother to allow me to give you a second chance.”

 

“A… second chance?”

 

“Indeed. In a world and time unfamiliar to you, you will be reincarnated to once again explore the unknown. Despite your knowledge and skill, your previous journey was fraught with mistakes and poor decisions. I would like to see you rectify them.”

 

“Mistakes? What mistakes did I make?” Her smile twists into a mischievous curl as she answers.

 

“That, captain, is a question you must answer for yourself. You have been awarded a second life. Use it well.”

 

She raises her trident, and I get the feeling that I must ask this question now or I’ll lose my chance.

 

“Wait! I must ask you one thing!”

 

“Hmm?” Her expression turns inquisitive, and she slightly lowers her trident, allowing me to continue my query.

 

“Will I ever be able to see my beloved wife and daughter again?”

 

Poseidon doesn’t react initially, but after a deafening moment of silence she simply shakes her head.

 

“I’m afraid the second has already been chosen.”

 

“Second? What do you me-“

 

“I wish you good luck captain.” She once again raises her staff, and every sight disappears from my eyes

 

My sight is engulfed in white, and my consciousness fades again.

0