Dungeon of Horrors – Chapter 1: The Loser
61 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once upon a time, in a far land, there was a kingdom named Remalia. It was a famous place for its ENORMOUS castle. This castle was the Remalia's castle and it was the sizes of almost an entire mountain. These incredible walls weren't just to hide the king but indeed to hide something terrifying, like it should belong to another world. Anyway, this is not the story of the castle, it's the story of a young man who after being in the castle never came to be the same.


Near the castle, in a little town where poor people lived, there was a young man whose name was Romani.

Spoiler

He was a loser.

[collapse]

Since he was born, his parents sold him to a couple of farmers. He grew up in the farm and help in the easiest tasks that he could do. He failed every taskand even hurt himself. Now he has a signature bloody injury at the left of his chest. When he was 15 his adopting parents died in an assault to attempt to take Remalia's castle, so he was an orphan that lived alone in a farm.

Months later after the last mentioned incident some soldiers went to visit Romani to his farm. You know that's bad news when this people are the ones visiting you. It appeared that because the farm, with no one who really could maintain it, didn't success in its job of producing food for the army of the king and with the recent assaults they had to be ready for battle.

"If the farm isn't going to do anything, we'll just get rid of it and use the land for another purpose", they said.

Romani didn't get a chance to complain as the soldiers just kick him out of his own house! Now he was an orphan, poor, jobless, homeless and sad. It got to a point that it couldn't go worst, except it started raining. Without anything left to do, he just sat in the ground looking at his own shoes made of leather. For some reason, the only good thing he had was his shoes.

With nothing left to do he thought that maybe it was time to just let everything pass. But in a moment of pure hope, like a light at the end of a long tunnel, an old man got close to Romani, coming from nowhere. Romani was really shock when he saw the old man, not because he looked like good news, but instead he looked like he was drunk. The old man tried his best to explain the situation to the young one. It didn't go as anybody would expect.

"Eh…Uh…Yeah…Oh yeah kid! Are you a kid, right? I can't even tell if you're a boy or a girl. In any case I got a thingy for you from aaah…Dad! You're dad! I was going out of the bar when he appeared to me and gave me this piece of thrash for you. Have fun with it I guess. And before I go he also told me that you have to go to the underground part of the Remalia's castle or something like that. I couldn't ask him anything before he ran away. *Cough* You're dad is really weird, but pays a lot for giving things to others. Bye."

Now Romani was shock for real. At first, he was confused because his dad died, but then he remembered he was adopted. He didn't believe that his real dad remembered him and gave him a gift. It was a compass! In a very bad state. At least it was working!

"Why of all the things it was a compass?" Romani thought.

After seeing the old man leaving with his head almost in the ground he came to the conclusion that maybe is related with that underground part of Remalia's castle mentioned by the old man. He didn't have anything left to do.

With only one compass, his clothes and no home he started his journey to the big castle waiting for him.

 

It only took him a few hours to get to the city around the castle. For our young men it was like another different world. Everyone walking in the streets had expensive clothes and you couldn't see any poor people lying in the floor asking for money because everyone had money. Romani started to walk in circles all around the buildings until he realize it and made up his mind to just go to Remalia's castle.

There was one problem. The soldiers around the castle wouldn't let him pass inside, so he got to find another way in.

After searching around the stupid big walls for an entire hour he saw something. An entrance underwater! On the back of the castle there was a tunnel under a deep pool touching the walls.

"The perfect way to get to the underground quickly", Romani said to himself.

Making sure no one was watching, holding the compass in his right hand and taking a deep breath, he jumped into the water and started swimming though the tunnel. How he knew how to swim? Who knows.

What Romani didn't know is that the tunnel was quite long. Half way in he started to suffocate. He felt like he was about to drown and swam faster and faster trying to get to the end. Luckily for him, it wasn't THAT long so at the end he got there and didn't drown.

When he got out of the water he saw a room that looked like a cell but someone was off. In a corner of the supposed cell was a little pool with the tunnel from where he got there. A rusty door was in front of the pool and a lot of broken pieces of wooden tables and glass all around the room. It looked like something bad happened there but Romani couldn't tell what exactly.

Searching in the room for anything that helps him to know what happened he noticed his compass was moving. A regular compass always faces north with its arrow, this compass was facing not north or any direction, it was pointing to something or someone moving from one place to another in the mysterious place.

"A clue to uncover the truth", Romani said.

A lot of things came at the same time disorienting him, his real Dad, the underground just after he was kick out of the farm… Thinking about it made Romani realize that everything was suspiciously connected. For a moment he was happy to know his real dad was alive but now he wasn't sure of what to feel anymore.

In any case, searching what the compass was pointing to may be the solution to all of this so without a single doubt he jumped into action, or at least tried to because the rusty door was locked and his face red now.

Romani had to find another way out of the room or a way to open the door. A few minutes later of investigating he found a part of a broken chain behind a pile of broken wood. He thought maybe it was enough to slam it to the door's lock and because it was rusty it could break, so he did that and surprisingly worked!

The situation at that moment started to getting scarier. At the other side of the door was a big hallway with cells to right and left, all with blood everywhere and pieces of meat that Romani didn't wanted to believe they were human pieces. It was a hallway of horrors, a hallway to hell if you like musical references. Rusty steel bars, some broken and some painted in red covered the walls and it was impossible to walk there without stepping on the grotesque scene of death of the floor.

Paralyzed by extreme fear, our young man fell to the floor backwards keeping eye at the hallway all the time. He had never seen something like that before. He didn't believe it was real and put his hands to his face covering it.

The terror he was feeling kept him locked in the room for about half an hour. He had two options: get out of there now that he could or face the horrors and search for answers.

At the end, the fear took him and he was about to leave the "dungeon" when a loud noise came from the underwater tunnel. All the water of the pool drained suddenly. Romani was confused once more. By the other hand, it was a perfect opportunity to run though the tunnel so Romani jumped into the new born hole and run like never before. It was useless because the reason the water drained was they closed the tunnel from outside. The way the water got away was unknown, left was the fact that Romani was trapped there now.

He walked the way back to the cell terrified.

With one option shut down the other was left. Like if the Universe decided to curse him, he had to explore the dungeon of horrors to find a way out.

He gathered all the courage he had (almost none), graved the same chain he used to break the door's lock and started his journey though the hallway.

It was dark, really dark. The only light was some of the torches on the walls lighted up, there were a bunch totally missing and others didn’t have a fire on it. He tried to avoid stepping on anything suspicious, maybe he wasn’t even trying but instead the fear didn’t let him. Luckily for him, the hallway was not so long. That was the second time he had that kind of luck.

At the end was a door not like the others. Doors there were made of metal without leaving almost any light go through them. This door looked like it was made of a black glass, some type of glass where you couldn’t see through, just yourself, like a mirror.

This glass mirror door saved Romani’s live because he saw through it a shadow behind him about to jump, like a wild animal hunting.

Just one second after seeing the shadow he crouched and rolled away while the shadow crashed into the door breaking it. When Romani looked up he saw a monster. Some kind of four-legged creature painted in dark red with big paws and long claws, a massive mouth with thousands of fangs with blood dripping from them, a fin in his back like it was a fish and like 2 meters tall or even more if he stood up with 2 legs.

Romani looked to its face. It was merciless.

The monsters returned the looked to Romani with his face which didn’t have eyes or a noise, just a big mouth. Romani didn’t move, he just accepted his fate. It didn’t exist any possibility of surviving to that monster or at least that’s what he had in mind. Mr. Red (I just came with the name) started “looking” around.

Romani was confused again but now about its behaving but then he realized the monster didn’t know where he was.

While Romani wasn’t moving, Mr. Red couldn’t find him.

Like anyone would do in this situation, he stayed in place without moving even a little, waiting for Red to go away. Eventually, Red went to the other side of the hallway. Romani got up and ran though the broken glass door like never before. In that same moment Mr. Red spun around also running behind Romani.

Our young man ran though a lot of rooms filled with tables, glass and blood, just like the first room he encounter but this time all of them were squared-shaped and connected with wood doors on each wall of the room, making it a true labyrinth to go rampaged.

Mr. Red was getting closer every second they were running. The only way to survive was to find an exit to all the rooms and blocked it before Red catches him. Time wasn’t on his side but guess who was on his side? His insane luck! Just a moment before Red could get a hand onto him, Romani found a different door, a big black metal door.

It wasn’t just running now, but jumping, jumping to the door, hoping it will open with just touching it. A silly thought from Romani. Obviously, you need more than just one little push to open a metal door like that so Romani crashed into it and Mr. Red just right after him.

Romani got stuck between Red and a door with a big impact from himself to the door and Red. The hit of getting crushed by a 250 Kg monster was enough for Romani to pass out.

When Mr. Red got a little away from the door, Romani’s body fell to the floor.

 

Last thing he saw before losing consciousness was the face of the monster and with that everything got entirely black…

0