Day 2-1: A New World
58 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey there. Again, this stuff is all super rough, and I already had to completely scrap this chapter after deciding it wasn't developing appropriately. For the future, expect jumps between the group's progress in the dungeon and their time at home. Cuts between scenes should be fairly obvious, but I want to keep character and setting development on track while still giving you guys a breakdown of the trips to the dungeon while they're learning the ropes.

Any feedback is appreciated, and I hope you enjoy. I'll be doing my best to get the rest of Day 2 up this week, as soon as I finish writing it.

 Despite the various concerns floating through his head, Marcus was unable to resist the pull of sleep the previous night. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, while he and his family rested peacefully, the true impact of the System started being felt.

Metropolitan areas all across the face of Eroa spawned Dungeons and monsters, devastating the population centres. A world home to billions saw more death than at any previous point in its history. Along with the monsters came Seeds, and many chose to opt into the System the previous day, giving them a semblance of power and control as they fought and struggled for survival amidst what were rapidly becoming ruins.

Marcus arrived in the dining area in the early morning, spotting Lucy out on the terrace with his nieces, Ashley and Emily. Alice had prepared a large breakfast for everyone, as despite the limited supplies of meat, pancakes, breads and fruits were available in plenty. “Morning,” Marcus said after securing himself a cup of tea. “You guys sleep alright?” He asked as he sat next to the two young girls at the outdoor dining area.

“Uncle Marc, do we really get to live here?” Emily asked as she hugged him in greeting. “Of course, Em. After all, it wouldn’t be much of a castle without a princess or two living here.” He said with a wink. “It’s still hard to believe this is all real.” Lucy said, shaking her head. “Alice was able to pick up the various news stations… things aren’t looking good out there.”

“It’s gonna get worse before it gets better, Luce. Just hang in there, and we’ll make it through.” He said. “Did you have any luck with the gardens using your Grovekeeper skills?” “I tried out Plant Manipulation and Nature’s Blessing, but there was one other skill I didn’t try out yet, because I was unsure where I should use it. I think it’s something like your ability to make this fortress, but instead it makes a Sacred Grove.”

Heart of the Grove I
Plant the seed of magic and see it bloom into a Sacred Grove. The Sacred Grove will draw in nature aligned entities and spirits and will gradually spread its influence across the land, rejuvenating its surroundings.
 
“Alice, what do you think?” Marcus asked. “I believe Lucy is correct. If she were to plant the Heart within the fortress, it’s possible we could see significant benefits. The primary concern is where to locate the heart, as it will likely need substantial space to grow.” She replied.

Alice pulled up a 3D map of the land within the walls, allowing them to search for a good spot to locate the grove, finally settling on a small island in a shallow section of the lake, not far from the Keep itself. Deciding to forgo swimming to the island, they stopped by the market to purchase a cheap rowboat to carry them across the water.

Just as Lucy was about to use the skill, Marcus thought back to his second Class Enhancement Token (Superior), figuring this would probably be a really good use for it. “Hey Lucy, hold up.” He said, tapping on his watch to pull out the token. “Use this token on the skill before you cast it. It’ll improve the effect and give you some extras any time you use it.”

Lucy used the token, and a mass of emerald light radiated outward from her body as it took effect. As the light faded, Lucy blinked in surprise several times before speaking. “The name of the skill changed, but I can’t see if anything else has.” She said. “Well… I’ll just have to give this a try and see. Heart of the Wild.”

Lucy cast the skill, and an emerald seed as large as a walnut seemed to emerge from her chest, radiating an intense aura of life. As it floated before her, flowers and vines began to spring up in the area, growing at a visible speed. Finding a spot near the centre of the island, Lucy dug a small hole, burying the seed.

As she returned to the rest of the group, the ground suddenly shook. From the spot where she’d planted the seed, roots began to snake through the ground and an ever-expanding trunk shot upwards, reaching a height of over 100m in mere minutes. As the massive tree expanded, it seemed as though it was pulling the space around it into a separate world filled with the scents and colours of life.

As quickly as it began, the tree’s growth spurt came to an end, and the family were now standing in the midst of a world of green. The crown of the massive tree spanned overhead with a dense canopy of leaves, while the area around it had somehow become home to seemingly ancient trees of every kind that hadn’t been there before. At the base of the tree Lucy had planted, a crystal clear spring had appeared, forming a pool that looked like glass while motes of magic floated into the air.

Well this is a surprise.” A feminine voice filled the grove, sounding both compassionate and terrible all at once. “I hadn’t expected to receive the first Temple on this new world, not to mention so soon after Integration. Thank you for this, children.” The voice seemed to resonate within the very cores of their beings.

Lucy Grey… Let me give you a small gift, to show my appreciation.” As the voice spoke, the massive tree at the heart of the grove extended a branch of silvery wood in her direction. “Take hold of this branch, and it shall be yours.” Said the voice. As soon as it came loose, the wood twisted to form the shapes of vines as flowers sprang to life from the living wood as Lucy held it. “Thanks… uh, who are you exactly?” She asked.

I am Eralas, Lifewarden, and deity of the System. The Wild, Growth, and Dreams are my dominions, and those that usurp and pervert life are my hated enemies.” She said. “Those who usurp and pervert life? Like necromancy? Is that a thing?” Marcus asked uncertainly.

There are many that seek to undermine Nature, those meddling in undeath not the least among them.” “What sort of request?” Lucy asked. “My Temple needs a Guardian, but my Sentinels will be spread far and wide across this world initially. I wish to leave in your care an egg, as I will not have another opportunity to bring its like into a newly initiated world.

“Would it require any special treatment or care?” Lucy asked, hesitant. “I’m not sure I’m qualified to care for a magical guardian beast.” Eralas chuckled warmly in response. “Not to worry. The egg only needs remain within this grove, but there are many who would seek to steal it, and bind her to their will. I will not send a child there to be enslaved.

Looking towards Dave and Marcus, she relaxed seeing them each nod before replying. “We’ll accept your request, and do what we can to protect the egg.” “Thank you. I will extend a portion of my aura to cover this fortress, protecting it from the encroachment of corruption and disease. Your Dungeon should also receive a small benefit.” She said.

“I uh, I had a question, if I may?” Marcus spoke up, sensing the meeting was coming to an end. “Speak, child. I’ll answer if I’m able.” “Is it possible to place a shrine for you within the fortress, but away from this grove? When humans start to show up here, they’re going to want to see the Temple at some point, even more if we try to keep them away.”

So you wish to use a shrine as a decoy while my true Temple hides in plain sight. Clever. Yes, I can do this, but a simple shrine will not be sufficient. After all, it must look the part.

Her words faded on the wind, and the ground began to tremble slightly as beautifully carved columns pierced up through the earth, rising into a ring. Vines and plants climbed the columns as trees, flowers and grasses sprung up within, forming a space that felt independent and wild, separate from the world around it. The trees and hedges grew to form arches, while within the centre a statue of a woman formed.

Her appearance was wild and fierce while she radiated an aura of calmness. She was both hunter and protector, savage and compassionate. Beautiful and terrible as nature itself.

Greywall has gained Lifewarden’s Sanctum!

 Greywall Dungeon has been enhanced by Lifewarden’s Sanctum!
Dungeon can no longer spawn undead, infernal or void resources or entities.
Dungeon now spawns additional Life and Dream aspected resources and entities.

 Announcement: Eralas the Lifewarden has established the First Temple of the Pantheon for this celestial body, strengthening her domains.

 ~

Crack~!

Dave brought his mace down hard on the skull of the Tusken Bear, twisting his body out of the way of its charge at the last moment. After being forced to borrow Alice’s spear yesterday when facing the Redcaps, he opted to get himself a weapon to use when his AR was unsuitable.

The bear tumbled end over end thanks to its momentum, receiving arrows from the shadows as it struggled to retain consciousness. “Good hit, Dave.” Marcus said as the group received system notification about the bear’s death.

They’d advanced smoothly within the first layer, encountering several bears and a few groups of Redcaps as they pushed their way further into the Dungeon. After passing the area inhabited by redcaps, they were now advancing into a fairly boggy section of the fungi forest with pools of stagnant water and vents that released a dense fog that blanketed the region.

“Jess, you able to see through this at all?” Marcus asked, feeling exposed despite being positioned in the middle between Dave and Alice’s combat puppet body. “Probably a little better than you, but not by much.”

“Alice, did you deliberately make it this difficult to navigate?” He asked as they slogged through another cold pool. “It’s designed to reflect real environments you’re likely to encounter. If I made everything straightforward, ignoring complex environments, it would be setting up everyone who trains here to fail.” She replied. “Do you want people to treat this like a game, min/maxing their skills and stats to output more damage while being useless in a fight for survival, or do you want them to learn how to survive?”

“Alice is right, Marc. Just think of how many people would go through the first few layers if they were simple, then just stagnate at the first actual challenge. This’ll hit ‘em with reality early on, and it damn sure doesn’t feel like a game.” Dave chimed in.” Seriously, Alice, this place is creepy.”

Just as Dave’s words came to an end, Marcus felt something cold and rough wrap around his ankle before it was yanked out from under him, dragging him beneath the surface of the murky pool.

1