Chapter 005- Closer
584 9 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello readers, and I need to clear up a few things that are frequently questioned or asked. 

 

To start off, the whole point of this challenge was that I could not choose the prompts, They were randomly selected. So to further that point, for the -Genderbent World- mutator, it means every character is swapped. It is a lot to accept, but that is the point of the challenge, so apologies going forward if beloved characters are well, male or female. 

 

I don’t make the rules, well not all of them at least, forgive me.

 

Second, for other sites besides fanfiction dot net, there is a slice of life tag there for a reason; and also a romance tag as well which means romance has to form. There will not be full balls to the wall action every five seconds nor is there a full focus on combat. It’s more like 40% action, 40% romance, and 20% fluff and smut. We just haven’t made it to the action oriented parts, but they will come soon and they will be focused on when they do appear.

 

Thirdly, is Kai’s Quirk. He will get the Quirks in Reverse order based on how Izuku Midoriya gets them in the anime. I decided it that way just because I really like Fa Jin and Gearshift, but I also wanted him to hide his whole multiple Quirks thing for a while. And honestly, even with just with this combination Kai is powerful; though not OP mind you. 

 

Also, the harem has six members in total, and they were decided the second I decided to write the first chapter. They each will develop at different times, in different ways, and in different ways of loving. Some are super obsessive while others more normal, and a few a bit dark; nothing too crazy though.

 

The next chapter after this will also officially begin canon, so look forward to that.

 

That's it for the most part, just remember the slice of life tag exists for a reason and every character is genderbent. I appreciate all likes and comments from the many sites this is posted on. I enjoy the ideas you guys think up and take all criticism that is given organically and not to just be hateful.

 

Thank You!

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Kai was stumped.

 

To think, the only catalyst Momoto Yaoyorozu needed to want to become a hero had been so mundane, the simple conversation the small spark his brother needed.

 

“Kai, what do you want to be when you grow up?” The question had been raised as Kai and Momoto lay in his large bed, flashlights while they were inside of their blanket fort and reading the novel ‘SteelHeart Reckoners’ together.

 

Kai blinked slowly, turned to see the sparkling eyes of Momoto’s, a small amount of contemplation racing through him before he gave a simple answer.

 

“A Hero.”

 

Those two words were all it took, because Momoto suddenly started to take their martial training more seriously, no longer complaining at every given opportunity like before. 

 

Having someone with Yaoyorozu blood flowing through them and refusing to take every moment to talk was unheard of, so Kai broke the usual silence during one of their spars to ask.

 

“Why are you trying so hard?” Kai side stepped a sharp kick with ease, spinning with grace like a ballerina, his own kick aimed at head level.

 

Momoto brought both hands up and stepped forward to kill the momentum of the kick, wincing in pain but powering through and gripping Kai’s ankle.

 

“I have to.”

 

The words were stained with unknown conviction, something even more bizarre for the nervous wreck of a boy Kai had met over a year ago. Someone’s whose eyes always watched the ground, shoulders slouched from wanting to hide, and with fingers that had to prod and prick at every given chance.

 

Those same fingers were now clenched hard enough to turn their knuckles white, passing by Kai’s face by a few inches, while Kai used his caught ankle as a grappling hook and pulled Momoto forward.

 

“Didn’t-” Kai started as Momoto let go while still falling forward, landing on Kai’s back who had turned. “Answer my question.”

 

The world flipped for Momoto, and the air fled from his lungs like startled birds as his back impacted the mat. He gasped, then after a moment exhaled in frustration, even a bit sad as he inhaled.

 

“I want to be a hero, like you, but you’re so much better than me, “

 

Kai’s eyes widened a good amount, the puzzle pieces falling together to complete a perfect picture. A young boy of nine, with parents he rarely saw, cooped up inside a mansion with no real friends. Momoto was an existence devoid of much human attachment, something that always led to rash incompetence and action or subdued acceptance to stew in self pity.

 

This would have been the case, if Kai had not shown up, gave Momoto the human interaction he craved, and became the sole exception of it really. He had chalked up their closeness to having shared a love for reading stories and the fact they were of the same age.

 

He was wrong, Momoto was afraid of losing his only friend, adopted brother, third parental figure, and mentor; an unusual combination to begin with.

 

“Becoming a hero isn’t something you make on a whim Momo, Most heroes don’t grow old, or retire early with crippling injuries.” Kai loomed over the sprawled out form of Momoto, purple eyes studying his face.

 

“Then why?” Momoto closed his eyes. “Then why do you want to if it sounds so grim?”

 

Kai smiled, the answer coming too easy, a conviction he long knew he had.

 

“So people can choose when they suffer.”

 

Momoto opened his eyes, a thoughtful look shown as he sat up and adjusted his white Gi, “Choose when they suffer?”

 

Kai chuckled, the fact he was talking to an eleven year old slipping his mind at times. Momoto was smart enough to have already been in high school if he guessed right. Perhaps in a super powered world like My Hero, he was nothing special, but Momoto did not have an intelligent based Quirk to warrant such knowledge. He earned it, book by book, page by page, word by word, and letter by letter. 

 

As a result, Kai would sometimes see Momoto as an equal, especially when he had to ask the boy to remind him about formulas he had forgotten or certain tidbits about information which slipped his mind. Momoto was easily as smart as Kai—and he was mostly riding off his previous life’s schooling—but certain nuisances escaped him it seemed.

 

“You know, when we go to the park and see families and children running around and just going about their day?”

 

Momoto nodded, still breathing hard from their spar but listening with rapt attention.

 

“I want to keep it that way. I don’t want some Villian to show up, terrorize the park, maybe even take a few lives for reasons that those same children and families have no part in. I hate it, a bubbling in my stomach that makes me want to hurl. No one should be forced to suffer from things beyond their control. I guess all I want is peace.”

 

Momoto’s eyes glimmered, shining bright with something Kai was not quite sure how to describe, but he was assured he got the memo as the Yaoyorozu heir spoke.

 

“If you want peace, prepare for war.”

 

Kai nodded, the saying pretty much what he lived by. He wanted to have a family, live a quiet life as the Dad who made really crappy jokes and teased his son the second he talked to a girl. He wanted to be what his old life’s parents failed to be, to be there for his children in their darkest times, no matter what transpired.

 

The previous was made scarily difficult in a warzone where cities crumbled and blood pooled like lakes.

 

“Yes, the quote about ‘I would rather be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in war.’ ”

 

Momoto quickly stood, legs a little wobbly, but an aura of determination washing off him in waves, “Exactly, prepare me for war brother, please. I want to be a hero.”

 

“Fine.” Kai answered somewhat reluctantly, though his mind was already wondering about the ideas he had made for his little brother in case he ever wanted to be a hero.

 

Momoto Yaoyarozu had potential, a sharp mind and a Quirk that could bolster it.

 

[Creation], a power to create any non living things from the lipids in his body, and also to create energy; a tidbit Kaid discovered through their short Quirk lessons.

 

Momoto could create a taser gun, nothing too crazy about that part, but when he pulled the trigger and an electrical charge was felt, it changed things. Energy, at a conversion rate that flipped off physics and reality with both hands while mooning it, could be created from Momoto as long as it was part of an object he made.

 

He could make batteries at full charge, a portable generator, a flashlight, and most any type of chemical to top it off.

 

The possibilities were endless, but endless possibilities also meant endless exploration of them. Momoto needed to specialize, become above average in a wide variety of things then master one aspect of combat to such a high degree.

 

Kai had the perfect image to mold him into.

 

Batman, as out of left field as it was, but the caped bat who lurks in the shadows was a perfect idea for what Momoto could accomplish. A monster in close quarters and able to pull out all types of tech at the expense of eating a bit more greasy food.

 

Sometimes, Quirks were honestly cheating, but other times they were downright the opposite.

 

Kai would always remember seeing an Old Lady who could become immovable if she squinted, while Kai had also seen a man who was literally just a slug. It was weird if anything, the sheer variety of it all, but after a whole year of being more free to see the world he was already getting used to it.

 

In Facility Beta, it was more of stale cement and white tiles with tired employees who never got paid enough. Mutations were a rare sight, and because of that the whiplash was more impactful when Kai was adopted and could feely go into Tokyo..

 

He had sunk into his thoughts a little too far, quickly pulling himself out of it and walking forward, giving Momoto a single pat on the head.

 

“You still have seven years, you won’t be taking down villains until you graduate from a hero school, there is no rush.” A lie, but Kai could not come out and say that Momoto would be possibly fighting mortal battles at the mere age of fourteen or fifteen.

 

“Yes Brother, thank you.” Momoto’s solemn attitude did a one eighty. “Speaking of parks?”

 

Kai rolled his eyes, “Ask first, and tonight is a school night so not for long.”

 

He slumped over, and Kai could swear he could perfectly imagine the storm cloud forming above his head. He chuckled at his little brother’s antics, the two bowing to one another to ‘finish’ the spar and heading out of the at home dojo they were in.

 

As they went, Kai’s thoughts came back to what he told Momoto about not having to worry about villains till he graduated high school.

 

The age thing with shounen had always irked him. Fourteen to sixteen year old kids being exposed to the worst the world had to offer, their days in highschool or general youth stripped from them for some bullshit like fate or happenstance.

 

Most forgot the main cast if My Hero Academia were mere children, all the while fighting off adults in literal combat. All for One was a century plus, most of the league was twenty or older, and even despite the age difference they survived; probably because of plot armor.

 

That was the key word however. ‘Survive’.

 

Although My Hero was more colorful and light hearted, the Heroes were constantly losing. The USJ was survived on pure luck, the summer camp attack was also luck, All Might only ‘won’ do to All for One allowing it to happen so he could be put in Tartarus, The defeat of Overhaul may be the sole exception, but it was quickly shadowed by Shigaraki’s metamorphosis into a half step god of destruction. 

 

If you gave the dry lipped maniac a full week to travel all over Japan, and it would be nothing but flat rubble in no time.

 

Kai didn’t want to just survive, he wished to thrive, and maybe he should tone down his slight dislike for luck in general. Because here he was, lucky enough to meet one of the characters of My Hero that he could now train to be more.

 

‘Oh, how could I forget, there is another character.’ Kai thought, waving at Momoto to go ahead as he took his routine around the tea garden after every spar so he could ‘reflect’. 

 

After leaving the mansion, walking the half mile to the small garden with blooming spring flowers, Kai’s eyes landed on a set of red wings spread out to show an impressive wingspan.

 

Attached to those beautiful red wings was an eighteen year old girl, one who sat where Kai usually did with his daily chess matches with Momoto. Her dirty blonde hair was let wild and free, yellow tinted glasses that hid just as yellow irises, a pretty face marred with a smirk that made said pretty face very punchable. She wore a brown bomber jacket with a simple white shirt, along with blue jeans and gray vans.

 

“About time.” Hawks called back, not looking at Kai as he took the seat across from her. “How was the spar with the rich brat?”

 

Kai’s eyes twitched, “That’s my little brother you are talking about, show some respect.”

 

He was mostly a quiet person, polite, and kept to himself because he really did not wish to bother people. 

 

However, when Hawks was around, his irritation always pushed him to speak more.

 

“Ha, you really are a good Agent.” Hawks shot him a side glance. “Was that in the file too, to be offended when people speak bad of the infamous Yaoyorozu heir, trying to gain some brownie points with him?”

 

Kai almost rose to the provocation, but settled for an exhale, “You look good today, the sunglasses suit you.”

 

Hawks’ wings shook slightly, “Thanks, but don’t dodge the question, you were supposed to get more angry so I could learn more about your real character.”

 

Kai scoffed, “The HPSC taught us to be unpredictable, remember?”

 

Hawks gave Kai a smile tacked on with plenty of dripping sarcasm, “Hmm, really? Did they? Must have forgotten.”

 

“On another note,” Kia manager. How do you keep getting on this property, it is a bit worrying.”

 

“It’s simple honestly, the sensors and cameras only pick up readings from certain speeds like a normal walk pace, vehicles, or fast traveling objects like a bullet. Pick the perfect speed to descend from the sky and right in the camera's blindspot and well, here we are.”

 

Kai had an inkling of an urge to make sure to tell someone about that, but Kai also knew how monstrous of control one needed to be able to pull that off.

 

The HPSC did train them well, Kai was assured of that, because he should not be able to know how and which way a body should fall if he put a dagger in their temple.

 

However, these monthly meetings with Hawks had become something more, most of it was in silence, the occasional conversation, but on rainy days Hawks would drop the mask and be honest with him.

 

Kai tapped the chessboard that was set up already for his afternoon game with Momoto, “Want to play?”

 

Hawks met his eyes briefly before averting her gaze, something which she always did, almost to the point Kai wondered if she believed his Quirk was mind control by eye contact.

 

“Sure, but I pick black.” 

 

Kai raised a brow, “Why black?”

 

Hawks looked up again, before shrugging, Kai wondering why she was looking at his hair when she did so. He was going to ask, but got distracted by Hawks revealing her left hand wrapped in bandages. The injury was nothing crazy, but in their line of work it was never a good sign; they were trained to not get hit afterall.

 

“Don’t worry,” She started, “Some asshole with a heat Quirk, I’m really starting to hate work studies.”

 

Kai chuckled, “Which Villain, didn’t see anything on the news or media.”

 

“Endeavor,” Kai stiffened at the name drop. Hawks grinned. “Never said he was a villain, just an asshole. Used all my feathers so I had to actually throw a punch. Who would have thought the guy who could turn to copper would be hot after being near Endeavor for a full minute.”

 

“Ouch, maybe next time don’t punch someone who can literally turn into metal.”

 

Hawks stuck her tongue out, “Metal or not, he was a guy, and did a horrible job of protecting himself below the belt, relied too much on his Quirk.”

 

Kai flinched a little, no longer feeling bad for Hawks and instead sending a small prayer to the man who had his copper family jewels dented.

 

After sending his regards, the two divulged into a quick game of chess, Kai losing rather quickly, mostly because he did not care much for the game and he had to get back in time for Momoto not to become suspicious and come look for him.

 

“You are an enigma, you know that?”

 

The question broke the silence like a sledgehammer to glass, Kai almost physically hit by such a random thing thrown his way.

 

“You are barely ten, yet you sound and feel like one of my heroic classmates, there are times I forget just how young you are.”

 

Kai shrugged, “Okay, I’m sure you know what the HPSC training can do to children.”

 

“I know just…” Hawks slowly raised her head, sunglasses riding down her nose enough he could clearly see her eyes. “This doesn’t really have much to do with the previous, but if you want you can visit me too. I have an apartment close to Ketsubustu Academy and we could hang out.”

 

Kai exhaled, “I’m ten.”

 

“You don’t act like it.” She grumbled just enough for Kai to hear it. “Anyways, I have to bounce, see you next month.”

 

Like always, Hawks’ departure was abrupt, rude, and mannerless. Kai was used to it, and the quickness of her wings spreading and flapping was always captivating to look at, though it did send all the chess pieces flying.

 

Kai lazily picked them up in no apparent hurry, casting a glance toward the sky to see that Hawks was long gone, and reached into his pocket to feel the red feather he always carried on him. It was a sort of reminder, both for his ‘friendship’ with Hawks and also his origins.

 

He headed back inside, got cleaned and dressed, and enjoyed another afternoon with just him and Momoto. It was usually just the two of them, as they both had no ability to make friends. Kai because he was mentally older and had only slowly shown his real side to Momoto over the span of a year and did not want to do the same with others. While the Yaoyarozu heir had to pick his friends wisely, and going to Somei Elementrary school did him no favors. 

 

The rich and famous attended the private institute, so most relationships were mere connections to better their current situation or to enhance their future prospects.

 

While attending Somei, Kai also met his third character from the cast, one that walked with perfect grace, had a lithe strong figure like a gymnast, and had engines protruding from her calves.

 

Tenka Iida, little sister to her older sister Ingenuim who was currently a hero. She is part of a family who produced heroes for years, and her attitude relayed this. 

 

She was regal, quiet, yet also loud, strict to anyone and everyone, and demanded respect to things no one cared about.

 

Kai had wanted to approach the girl, just to maybe start a friendship that would make cooperation in the future easier, but he had decided otherwise. He had no immediate feelings about Tenka Iida and her male counterpart Tenya Iida from the show and manga. Kai was hoping some parts of canon stayed intact, so despite butterflies probably already flapping their wings across the world, he settled for not causing more.

 

Like this, more time passed, and as Kai turned twelve, celebrating his birthday with Momoto because they were only a day apart; something unexpected happened when he woke up the next day.

 

The first thing he saw was purple, a lot of it, matching perfectly with his own irises and causing slight panic to set in.

 

Instinct booted said panic to the curb and Kai decisively held his breath, cursing himself for going to sleep in only boxers but still not hesitating to rip them off and holding the cloth to his nose. He jumped to the side of the bed, ears straining to listen to any possible screams or signs or struggle through the gas that completely covered his room.

 

It was only when his mind caught up with his body that he also noticed every breath he took dispelled more of the purple gas, adding to the mass around the room enough times to make a difference. Kai watched as a pillar of it escaped through his nose, and then it clicked.

 

[Smokescreen], the weakest Quirk out of all the one’s One for All held. It allowed him to dispel smoke with no effects besides blinding an opponent’s view of an area; though it also made him unable to see too.

 

Kai furrowed his brows, realizing if anyone walked in at the moment, droves of questions would be asked. So with his memoration of his own room, and practice traversing it in the dark just in case the lights were shut off and windows covered, he made his way to the window.

 

However, he hit face first into glass after three steps instead of eight, making him flinch and put a hand out to confirm his immediate area. 

 

The window was there, so either he had miscounted during his preparation— which was improbable— or someone had moved his bed closer to the right side of his room.

 

He shrugged, reaching out and pulled on the window, his biggest priority to clear the room. 

 

There was a sudden snap, something on the window breaking but Kai immediately shelved it.

 

A minute later, the purple gas was gone, some aspect of the Quirk giving the smoke almost a liquid like property, the gas wanting to flow into any open crevice wide enough as if it had a mind of its own. The window was big, so the purple gas left like a raging tide, much to Kai’s wonder.

 

Now that the room was clear, Kai was able to get stock of his situation, and as he stood there naked in his room, he discovered something too big to have to digest so early in the morning.

 

There were three indents on the carpet that would not be going anywhere anytime soon, and the window’s locking mechanism was broken. He had not unlocked it before trying to open it,  meaning with strength alone he just pried it open forcefully.

 

Kai looked at his hand, eyes wide as he felt the thrum of power beneath his skin, like T.V. static in liquid form which coursed through his veins.

 

Carefully, and still in disbelief, he focused his attention and brought whatever power it was to the front of his skin, using up a lot of mental power to do so.

 

And, after a lot of effort, Kai could only mutter incoherently as he looked at his palm. Stuck in complete awe as bolts of purple lightning danced across his open hand before settling back in, almost like dolphins jumping out of the water.

 

“One for All.”

20