Chapter 17: River and Lakes
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
"Rivers and lakes" is a reference to terms like Murim-Gangho (Korean) and Jianghu (Chinese). It refers to a martial arts type society. It is often depicted as having its own set of rules.

The Central District of Hammer Port was the domain of the elite. It was where all the superpowers were centered. 

There were the large temples belonging to the sacred orders and clergy, the estates of the prominent nobles, the headquarters of the top guilds, the five magic towers, and more. 

By the authority of the Emperor’s faction, the head that oversaw and balanced these powers was the Association. It was a pseudo government body that handled all the bureaucratic and logistical work of the city. 

However, its grip on power was not absolute. It was a dispensable asset that was given authority by the whims of the Imperial Family, meaning it was merely a delegated power that could be stripped away at any moment. So while on paper it was at the head of the city, it had to always play the political game, tiptoeing around the others to avoid becoming a scapegoat. 

On the other hand, Sophia’s father, the Red Duke or the Duke of Fire, was the archmage that united the Red Tower of Hammer Port.

While the city was one of the most important economic hubs in the Radiant Dawn Country, it was also known as the Sun City of Magic. The Towers of Hammer Port oversaw all the other towers of the country, meaning Sophia’s father was a continental power that stood at the top of all red magicians. 

The Association wouldn’t be able to touch such a figure, and there were many such monsters dwelling in Hammer Port’s Central District. 

The Association mostly could throw its weight around at commoners and the lower nobility, so in order to gain more leverage, the Association bought it through their use of imperial authority. For example, the Darkmoon Guild, which was mainly composed of lower level citizens, had been sold a spot at the Central District for their cooperation.

In the process, the Darkmoon Guild became a contender for one of the top three guilds in the city, but because of their relationship with the Association, they also became known as their Hunting Dogs.

Stephen turned towards the center of the city. Not only was he going to a place filled with prominent figures, he was going to a place where various leashes had been severed.

He felt an itch; it grew as the armored convoy got closer and closer to their destination. 

Usually a translucent membrane would separate the Central District from the rest of the city. It was a similar concept to the barrier that surrounded the academic island. 

It operated as a boundary, and it indicated that the space inside was fundamentally different from the space outside. 

However, the veil was lifted, revealing a massive oasis in the middle of the urban sprawl. It was a place of rivers and lakes. 

The overpass that the convoy was using ended where the Central District began, so the vehicles descended down the ramp and onto ground level. To Stephen’s eyes it was like a large forest had suddenly appeared. Supposedly, it was a spiritual forest composed of legendary ingredients like centuries old ginseng. 

‘Garden of Immortals,’ Stephen thought of one of the Central District’s names. His lips twitched into a smile, ‘I suppose it doesn’t matter now.’ 

While the energy in the space was elevated, it was barely noticeable. The trees were like regular old plants. Perhaps, the Ley Line that Hammer Port was constructed on had also disappeared. 

A large road encircled the forest, but there were no direct paths that led deeper inside. The military trucks crossed the curb and entered the forest, moving in a single file.

Thwack. 

“Watch out for the branches.” Richard laughed while rubbing his nose. A red gash could be seen, but considering his scar ridden face, it was only slightly noticeable.

Outside the illumination of the city’s lights, the forest was dark. Shadows moved all around the convoy and there was the constant sound of shuffling in the nearby shrubbery. Occasionally, in the headlights of the trucks, Stephen could make out undead figures scurrying around.

It wasn’t a completely foreign feeling. Stephen had gone on various expeditions, and the current behavior of the undead creatures was just like any other low ranked monster species. 

“I told you before that they avoid the strong but that wasn’t necessarily true.” Richard stroked his beard and then tapped his automatic rifle, “They aren’t dumb. I’m sure you saw the piles of bodies when we first picked you up. At first, the monsters just attacked without any thought behind their actions, and as a result, they were mowed down. However, they eventually just stopped all at once.”

“Are they learning? Haha,” Gawain asked, his characteristic laugh ending his sentence.

“Or it is a coincidence,” Richard replied with a hint of a tease in his voice. 

“Hmm,” Gawain hummed, seeming undisturbed but also lost in thought. 

Stephen interjected, “Perhaps, the dumb ones just died — like weeding out the weak. If they are learning though.” Stephen paused, “Then they are learning together like a hive mind. Not all of them should have been in contact with our firearms, yet none have recklessly charged at us.”

Stephen didn’t see the need to hold back his thoughts. He was currently favorable towards the Darkmoon Guild. Furthermore, if he showcased his capability to the squad leader, his stance within the organization could increase. 

The world order had changed and chaos would follow. Stephen knew a lone candle would only be snuffed out in the storm.

A desire to survive just to see the chaos welled up inside Stephen. Although he hadn’t set clear goals for the future, the Darkmoon Guild could become his shield.

There were also things he was curious about. It was strange that during the pivotal moment of the current outbreak, the Darkmoon Guild moved a large portion of their strength, which included their leader, to another corner of the city only to quickly recall it. In the process, they even left some of their men behind in what could more or less be considered enemy territory. 

‘Did they obtain their original objective, or was the catch worth reeling in regardless?’ 

Perhaps, the rewards for the quests warranted such actions. With a lack of information, it was unclear what was the most efficient path. As such, anything could be considered a gamble. Still, Stephen suspected that there was an ulterior motive.

The sons and daughters of the nobility could be considered bargaining chips in their own right. Yet, the quest parameters made it clear that ill intent would lead to consequences. A good hostage might be worth the risk though.

Stephen also had to entertain the possibility that logic wasn’t being used at all. For example, if one resented the aristocracy and royalty, now was the time to act, and supposedly, most of those belonging to the imperial bloodline had left the World of Paradise behind.

If true, then the only outlet of such hatred would be placed on Mel, who was currently only a couple seats away from Stephen. 

The hatred towards nobles in general wasn’t an uncommon thing. With law and order gone, it was clear that those that used to be dogs could very well bare their fangs. 

After formulating some rudimentary thoughts, Stephen decided to ask a question.

“Whatever the reason, the creatures haven’t attacked the convoy. However, what about those that were left behind?” 

“They aren’t our men. If the clowns of the Association wanted to stay behind, that is their decision.” Richard smirked. 

“Does Lady Lucia not get along with the Association?”

“That…” Richard paused and turned to another man, “Criston?”

The lethargic man shrugged and then yawned. “Well, you will find out.” 

Richard rubbed the back of neck at his subordinate’s response. A silence ensued, leaving only the sound of the truck’s engine. 

In the quiet lull, Stephen felt the presence of his accumulated fatigue. Even now his mind was throbbing because of his awakened ability. In truth, he wanted to do nothing but nod off; however, because he remained on edge that reality felt far away. 

At that moment, a soft hand caressed the side of his head. Sophia had offered up her shoulder to him.

“It’s not like I like you or anything… but it isn’t good that my servant is so tired.”

In the end, he didn’t resist and rested his head. He closed his eyes and listened to her heart beat. It was fast and erratic and showed no signs of slowing down. 

Even though sleep didn’t come, and his consciousness remained, he felt rejuvenated for some reason.

After ten, maybe twenty, minutes the convoy slowed down to a snail’s pace. 

“I can see the headquarters.” A muffled voice shouted from the front of the truck. Stephen opened his eyes and stretched.

“Was it—” Sophia mumbled.

“The Red Duchess is the best after all.” 

Because Stephen felt like he had just taken the best stamina recovery drugs that the State could produce, he gave Sophia a serious compliment

“Oh…”

“Flirting bastard.” Alex clicked his tongue. At that moment, he looked as lonely as Mel.

Stephen just ignored him and turned his attention to the front of the armored convoy, which was disappearing in the treeline. 

When the foliage thinned, a large walled compound came into view. The walls weren’t particularly thick or tall; rather, it had the appearance of a courtyard mansion. Of course, given that the compound could cover an entire city block, it was as if a miniature city had suddenly appeared amongst the trees.

There were four guard towers at each of the corners of the compound. They shined a bright light down on the convoy. There was some shouting and then the convoy began moving again.

 It pulled into the compound after a large set of doors were pulled open.

Richard grinned with pride. He stood up from the back of the truck with his arms held out wide. The members of his squad seemed to cringe despite the evident pride they also felt. 

“Welcome to the Darkmoon Guild’s Headquarters! Criston take it away.” His voice was loud.

The man yawned, “Nah. I’m good. Huey can give the introductions.”

A man with glasses sighed. He had sat next to Criston and like the last member of the squad had remained silent the entire time. 

Huey’s voice droned. 

“There are about 700 people residing in her walls. We have also secured many more civilians at other secured locations. You will be given the option to relocate to such a location if you don’t desire to stay with the Darkmoon Guild. However, for the time being, there is a barracks for new recruits. Someone, not me, will give you a tour.”

“Me! That’s me,” Richard laughed in childlike delight before becoming serious, “That said, things are busy around here and you all look like shit — no offense — so I’ll keep it short. You can expect further explanations later.”

There was indeed a lot of commotion and movement inside the compound. 

The convoy didn’t park in the guild storage unit. Rather, the vehicles remained near the southern entrance. It appeared that they were going to be used again shortly.

Richard was the first to jump off the back of the truck. He looked towards his squad members. 

“Alright you fuckers… Go.. Shoo… shoo you’re free.”

Criston yawned, while Huey just adjusted his glasses before leaving with the only female squad member, who had still not uttered a single word. 

Meanwhile, a skinny man appeared next to the group. He was the driver of their truck.

“Mind if I join, Richie?”

“Why are you calling me that in front of the kiddos?” Richard laughed and continued before his question was answered, “Do what you want.”

“Name’s Ryder. My squad leader is an idiot, so I’ll accompany you all so he doesn’t make too much of a fool by himself.”

“What?!” Richard grabbed the man by his shoulders and began driving his fist into the man’s scalp. Ryder groaned but didn’t say anything until Richard stopped.

“You done?” 

“Hmph.”

“You were going to escort them to the dueling ring weren’t you?” 

“What?! I wouldn’t… okay maybe I was… but is that so bad?” Richard complained. 

“You admitted they looked like shit, cut explanations short, and then planned to drag them to the dueling ring? Are you sure you aren’t actually a gorilla?”

“I’m human… I even got verified and was given a certificate”

“Who needs a certificate to prove their humanity?” Ryder grabbed his belly and laughed. He then turned to Stephen and the others, “You all should have seen the scientists. They were sure that this man was in fact a gorilla. They ran all kinds of tests. Should have seen their faces when it kept coming up as false.”

‘I can believe it.’ Stephen easily visualized such a scenario. 

“You?!” Richard was about to grab Ryder again, but the skinny man managed to duck behind Gawain. He stuck out his tongue. 

“Haha,” Gawain only laughed. Although his eyes shook slightly. 

“You're making the poor boy uncomfortable,” Richard complained. 

“Well, your fists hurt!”

“Tsk.”

Ryder put up his hands, “Alright, let’s stop playing around and actually show them all the amenities that we have to provide.”

Stephen coughed. “If it would be fine, I would actually like to use one of the training rooms right away.”

Richard's face grew into a smug grin, while Ryder just groaned.

“I knew I liked these kids.” 

“It is important to learn the layout—” Ryder complained. 

“I can just teach my servant such things later.” Sophia puffed her chest out. She then turned to Stephen expecting a reward of some kind. 

‘I guess she isn’t going to just cling onto me.’ Stephen petted her head, which she seemed to enjoy — evident by how she continued to rub her head against his hand. 

“Alright, I’ll take the boys to the training rooms, while you give the two ladies a tour?”

“Deal.” Ryder didn’t complain anymore. 

As the men departed, Sophia hissed at Ryder to make sure he kept his distance. Meanwhile, Mel just looked panicked that events were unfolding without any consent from herself. She looked like she really wanted to say something. 

That was when Stephen heard Sophia from a distance. 

“Just so you know I’m taken.”

“Yeah, and I’m gay.” Ryder shrugged, “Let’s get moving.” 

For some reason, Mel panicked even more. 

1