Chapter 19: Dreams
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stephen fell asleep easily. Or more accurately, he collapsed and fell unconscious on the hard floor of the training room. 

When he was younger, he was the type to have vivid dreams. However, given their reflective nature, the term nightmare was more suitable. They were frequent enough that he grew numb to them after a while, which ironically was around the time he originally awakened his ability, Oracle

Whether a side effect or coincidence, the dreams disappeared altogether. That was until the current events. 

Although he didn’t fully show it, the sudden nightmare that he experienced two days ago had shook Stephen.

The dream the previous night also wasn’t pleasant, but at least it wasn’t unexpected.

Voice of a Demon was his new ability. Stephen would be lying if he said he wasn’t curious about what awaited him.

‘What is this?’ Stephen stretched out his hand. He was sleeping. He was sure of it. Yet, blackness stretched all around him. 

It reminded him of the visualization technique he used. However, his body wasn’t rendered as a white shadow. No, he could see his muscles. It seemed he was wearing the same clothes that he used to train in. He could even feel his hair swaying behind his back. It was tied back like how he usually wore it. 

‘It seems like I’m dreaming?’

The ‘dream world’ was completely dark. The substance that filled the space, whether it be an air or a liquid, felt heavy and viscous. Stephen waved his hand back and forth. It felt like black threads would cling onto his hand but nothing happened. 

‘Should I wait to see if something happens?’

Stephen shook his head and began trekking through the murky darkness. The sticky sensation didn’t leave even after Stephen began walking.

Although Stephen couldn’t tell time in this world, it felt like a considerable amount had elapsed when suddenly a change appeared.

Something started to bubble out from in front of Stephen. It was like a bunch of shadows were coalescing together to form a body. It didn’t seem dangerous, so he just curiously stared at it.

Surprisingly, the form the shadows took was a mirror image of his own. 

It had the same dark, serious eyes. Its body had the same scars. The black hair was tied back in a ponytail, and the face was stiff and unmoving. 

If there was a difference it was the fact that there seemed to be a strand of black in one of its eyes and a strand of gold in the other. 

‘So are they going to reveal themselves?’ Stephen had his doubts. If the things were playing with him then why would they show themselves? Would it be because it wanted to gloat or torment him? 

Assuming the black energy was the Demon Lord’s then that kind of response made sense. But he couldn’t imagine that from the Second Princess. Then again she was rumored to be a prankster. 

‘Haha I’ve been manipulating your body for years! It was just a prank! Haha.’ Stephen could almost imagine the scene. Yet, it didn’t fit his image of Mel at all, but the world was fucked up. If something fucked up could happen, then it probably would. 

“Hi.” The voice was his own, yet the exact enunciation was different. It wasn’t like the emotionless voice that Stephen had been hearing either. The shadow coughed. 

Ugh. It sounds awkward. 

Stephen could hear the shadow’s internal thoughts. Maybe it was because the ‘dream world’ was taking place within his own mind. 

“Hello…” It coughed again.

Not any better. 

“Salutations.” This time the shadow gagged.

Disgusting. How could I say that? Oh no… it is already off to a terrible start. 

“What are you doing?” The shadow’s voice changed. The black energy in its eye seemed to darken. The golden glow in the other intensified in response. 

“I, I’m trying… I bet you can’t do any better… wait, who even are you?”

“Me. Fufufu. Prepare to be shocked. It is I, the Sixth Demon Lord, the Prince of Undeath!” It’s voice was completely smug. 

Meanwhile, Stephen felt it was anticlimactic. 

‘So much for secrets…’ 

Fuck, she is so cool! Why can’t I do that? 

‘Yet, Mel seems impressed…’

“...” 

“So… so… how was it?” The Demon Lord laughed. 

Was it oblivious to the other entity’s thoughts or did it just want to hear words of praise out loud? For that matter, could the two read his own thoughts? 

“Unbelievable.” The golden light flared up, “How did you do it!”

“Fufufu. You realize who your superior is now?”

“Tsk. You are just hijacking my spell,” the shadow crossed its arms, “You are probably just a spoiled brat.”

“As a matter of fact, I am!” 

“...”

Stephen watched his own body cough. As it coughed, the black energy swirled. 

“I mean I’m not spoiled, but I am technically a child.” 

“What a demonic child...”

“Yes.”

“...ah.” 

Stephen groaned. He could hear the thoughts of both of the two entities. It was so disorienting that Stephen pushed their thoughts to the corner of his mind. The one that seemed to be Mel was the worst. Her thoughts fired without stop. It was paragraphs and paragraphs of nonsense. 

“Anyways, I’m curious what you are up to,” the Demon Lord remarked. 

“Nothing… it doesn’t concern you.”

“Don’t lie. Unless… m-maybe you are just an old perverted cougar after all! Big shock!” 

“I’m not much older than him!”

“Hmph, still a hag preying on a younger man.”

“I’m in the prime of my life!” 

“You don’t deny being a lecher though.”

“I’m pure and innocent!” 

“Then why are you ensnaring a younger man with a—”

“S-stop!” 

“—a marriage contract.”

“I, I’ve done no such things.”

The exchange was rapid fire. Stephen didn’t have time to digest the contents of what was being spoken. However, he had to interject after the most recent revelation. 

“Umm, princess.”

“Yes? I mean who is that?”

“Princess…” 

“W-what, w-who be that of which you speak?” Stephen witnessed his own face turn into a scarlet red. Sophia would probably enjoy the sight, but Stephen found it discomforting. 

“Mel Sol.”

The shadow whimpered, biting its lip.

‘Please stop making such expressions while inhabiting a body that looks like me.’

“No one is home… at the moment… please leave a message after the beep.”

“...”

“Beep.”

“...”

“Beep.”

“...”

“Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.” The shadow fell to the floor at this point and buried its face into its knees.

Oh, no. He will hate me now. I just wanted to say hello. Why was it so hard? Can I get a redo? Yes. A redo. We will make a friend for sure this time! 

The shadow looked up, revealing its face again. It was ridden with tears. 

If we sneak up on him and smack him on the back of the head maybe he will forget everything. Yes. It is the perfect plan. No, the plan is completely stupid. But do we have a choice? No. Negative. Not possible. It is indeed the only sensible option. The only path that remains for us. Think. It should work. Alex once smacked him really hard with a metal bat. But that didn’t do anything. Wait. He doesn’t have the same physical strength now. Yes, it will work after all. Hehehehe. 

Before Stephen could say anything, the shadow of himself stood up. The golden light had disappeared, leaving only the black one. 

The figure wiped its clothes like it was wiping off dust. It then cleared its throat.

“Well, it seems like the old hag has left.” The shadow coughed a few times.

“What should I call you?” Stephen dryly asked. 

“I have already introduced myself, no? Silly human.” 

“But what should I call you?” Stephen tilted his head, “Do demons not have names?”

“We do…”

“So, what is your name?”

“Fufufu. You wish to hear this one’s name?”

“...sure.”

“I’m Eternal Blackflame of Darkness, the Prince of Undeath!”

‘Please don’t say such cringey things with my lips.’

“...”

“It’s cool, isn't it!” 

“It is terrible.”

“Biggest shock.”

“Is it shocking?”

“Yes. It is shocking that you would lie to my esteemed self.”

“I didn’t lie.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Biggest shock number two! Did my subordinates lie to me… that can’t be thought… big sis said it was the coolest name she ever heard. ”

“I don’t know who your big sister is but even if they didn’t lie… they have a terrible judgment when it comes to names.”

“Ugh. You shouldn’t say bad things about big sis… she is very scary.”

“More terrifying than you?”

“I’m scary?”

“You're the Sixth Demon Lord. Your title is Prince of Undeath?”

“So many shocking truths!” The shadow coughed, “Yes, she is more terrifying than me. I thought I was going to die when I beat her in a fighting game.”

“...”

The shadow pouted. “I’m being serious! You are just a weak human. You might spontaneously combust! Hurry, take it back!” 

She possessed serious concern, so Stephen relented. 

“I was wrong… the name was very cool and your big sister has the best judgment when it comes to names.” 

“Good…” The shadow coughed again, “I still got some time so can I ask you something?” 

“Go ahead…”

“Whenever I’m free, can I come and play whenever I want? I don’t know if demons are inherently boring, but my subordinates don’t want to have fun with me.”

“Do what you want…”

“Thank you! Big brother is the best. If you die I’ll make sure to claim your soul and turn you into a full demon! No need to thank me!” She wore a smug expression but it quickly became distorted and was replaced with one filled with worry. “You better not become boring if that happens!”

“I can’t make that promise…” 

“You better not die then!”

“I can’t make that promise…” 

“Hmmmmmm.” She began to make an annoyed buzzing sound as if she couldn’t find Stephen’s answer acceptable. 

Seeing that Stephen wasn’t going to relent on the matter she sighed and then said, “Fine, but you have to wear a maid outfit the next time I see you then!”

“Maid outfit?”

“Yes. Frills and the like. You know, like in fantasy games.”

‘You know real maids are a real thing right.’ Stephen felt like this fact might blow the young girl’s fragile mind, so he kept that tidbit to himself.

“You want me to wear such a thing…?”

“I won’t take no for an answer unless you really don’t want to.”

“I really don’t want to.”

“Shocking sadness.”

Scratching his cheek, Stephen hesitated, “But if it will make you happy… I guess I can… just for a moment.” 

The shadow began bouncing back and forth in excitement.

‘Please stop it… I already agreed to your humiliation.’

Stephen didn’t care about the concept known as dignity. At least, he didn’t hold a strong attachment to such things. He was forced to wear such outfits often. And he was quite confident that he looked good in them too.

At least, taking pride in such things had helped blunt the emotional damage that being forced to crossdress had given him in the past. 

However, unlike before where crossdressing gave Stephen zero benefit. In this specific case, it would make Sixth Demon Lord indebted to him. Stephen didn’t like the concept of kissing up, but things changed when a godlike entity was involved. Everyone had a price, after all. 

“Alright… I have to go before my subordinates find out I did something like this.” The shadow waved and began to dissolve into the surrounding darkness.

“Until next time…” her words floated in the void. 

Stephen had been forced to witness the Second Imperial Princess and the Sixth Demon Lord argue amongst themselves within his dream. He also witnessed Mel suffer an internal mental breakdown. Then he had a weird conversation with the Sixth Demon Lord. Overall, the event left him with more questions than answers. He practically learned nothing. 

‘Well, I guess I learned that I’m married…?’

 

Major Status Updated Detected:

The System has noticed significant changes to the User’s Status that will directly impact them. Because it is advised you review the changes, the Status is opening automatically!

Status: Stephen Sol

[Identity]

Name: Stephen Sol 

Level: 23 (+13)

Class: Masochistic Knight

Race: Dark High Elf [Ancestral], Imperial Bloodline [Inherited Trait], Pure Demonic Bloodline [Inherited Trait]

[Powers]

Awakened Ability: Voice of a Demon [Passive]

Basic Ability: Body Reinforcement [Grade F], Concentration [Grade F], Limit Break [Grade F]

Misc: Marriage Contract with Mel Sol, Familial Contract with Eternal Blackflame of Darkness [Pending change]

*Dark High Elf: An Elf that is an amalgamation of holy and demonic powers.

Stephen saw notifications pop up. Whether because he didn’t want to think or because of some other reason, blackness greeted Stephen and he lost consciousness and began to dream for real. 

1