Fuchsia City – Part 6
156 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four weeks had passed. Four weeks of failure and defeat. Four times Green had stood upon her challenger’s podium and four times she had left with little more than a team of beaten pokémon to show for it. Now, for the fifth time, she stood on the podium again, watching with a clenched jaw as Toxicroak made a joke of all her training.

Machoke could turn his whole arm to steel now but Toxicroak simply shattered it with fighting energy. Primeape had gotten so fast that Green swore it was as if he could see into the future each time he countered but Toxicroak was still faster. Graveler, oddly, had gotten faster than anyone. By turning himself to steel and using slabs of the ground turned to steel, he could propel himself around the arena, becoming a blur. The arena had become his own personal pinball game. But one good hit from Toxicroak shattered him, each and every time. And now, Toxicroak flipped over a bloodied Electabuzz, dodging a thunder punch. Then, ducked as he landed, avoiding Electabuzz’s follow-up thunderbolt. The damn frog was fast enough to dodge literal lightning. Green stamped her foot and readied Electabuzz’s pokéball. It was over, Toxicroak had gotten behind him. With a thunderous roar of orange energy and flame, Toxicroak sent Electabuzz smashing through bamboo poles across the arena. The siren sounded, ending their fifth challenge.

“Round four goes to the Leader. Leader victory,” the announcer stated.

The drones honed in on Toxicroak, showing multiple angles on the screen. His chin sac fluttered with a bloody gurgle, deflated and torn; the result of a powerful slug from Machoke. One of his claws was little more than a jagged stump; the result of a counter from Primeape. His arm was broken; the result of a heavy slam from Graveler. Long, smouldering black streaks sliced across his body; the result of Electabuzz’s thunder. Toxicroak fell to his knees, panting. Yet, he still grinned at the drones with smug triumph. Only once his pokéball came to collect him, did he give in to his injuries and slump.

Vents opened on the floor, clearing Weezing’s thick smoke smog. Above, the open ceiling closed itself. Janine bowed her head and left the arena. On the balconies skirting the arena, the handful of students who had bothered to attend began to trickle out. Green didn’t even bother to look to the commentator’s booth. Koga hadn’t come to watch since her third defeat. Green instead returned Electabuzz’s pokéball to her tray of pokéballs and watched grimly as it lowered into the floor. Only Tyrogue’s ball remained on her belt. By now, she hadn’t the heart to let him watch. Especially not after he’d mastered his rolling kick.

Green did her best not to let it get to her. After all, today could be seen as a victory, from a certain perspective. Of all her challenges, she’d never gotten so close to defeating Toxicroak. If that final thunderbolt had landed then perhaps, he would have fallen. No, he certainly would have fallen. Stubborn will was all that kept him standing and a good jolt of electricity could overcome the mind with ease. Somehow, that only made her feel worse. Three more pokémon waited beyond Toxicroak. Three pokémon who were likely just as powerful. Green fought to rid the horrifying thought that they may be more powerful.

She stepped into the elevator. When the doors shut she was gifted a brief moment of calm. Perhaps she ought to use it to mull over strategies and improvements for her fifth week of training. But Green just let out a long sigh and allowed her mind to settle.

The elevator doors opened, revealing her fellow challengers. Dustin and Damion, twin fire-type trainers with twin Growlithes. Neither had a badge yet. Cheryl, the water trainer with her prised Goldeen and Magikarp. She had one badge. Also possessing one badge, were Ezekiel the psychic trainer and his snooty Kadabra.

“You put up a good fight,” Dustin said.

“Yeah! You almost had him,” Damion said.

Their Growlithes barked in agreement. Beside them, Cheryl gave a courteous nod. Her Magikarp and Goldeen floated around her head lazily in spheres of glowing water. They paid Green little attention.

“You are unnerved, your mind waves are all out of whack,” Ezekiel said, touching his forehead.

His Kadabra nodded, studying her with narrowed eyes. His yellow whiskers hovered by his face, veiled in pink light.

“Nah, I’m fine. Just warming her up for you guys, that’s all,” Green said.

Ezekiel narrowed his eyes and Kadabra shook his head. Cheryl stepped past her into the elevator and the twins shot her wild grins.

“Green! Green! We’ve come up with an unbeatable strategy!” Dustin exclaimed.

“Yeah! It’ll take down that Croagunk for sure!” Damion said.

Green chuckled.

“What is it this week?”

“Flare Blitz!” The twins said together.

“Speed and power!” Dustin said.

“Our Growlithes will sweep her team with ease!” Damion said.

“Foolish,” Ezekiel said. “Koffing and Croagunk are far too fast to be bested by Flare Blitz.”

“Nuh-uh! We’ve been training in speed all week!”

“We’re as fast as they come!”

“Please, if Croagunk can dodge my Kadabra’s psybeam, he can dodge Flare Blitz.”

Before the twins could shout back, Green interjected.

“I’m sure you’ve all put lots of work in. Good luck, kids,” she said and squeezed past them.

Leaving behind their bickering, Green entered the gym’s lobby. It was at times like this that Green actually found herself missing Jackson. He was at least on her level. Playing big sister to this lot, while fun, was utterly exhausting. Jackson hadn’t challenged Janine in nearly a month. Instead, he spent every day with Abby, sparring and training. The only time she ever saw him was in the morning, as he rushed out of the Pokémon Centre. Never once had he stopped to chat. At first, that came as a blessing but, oddly, Green had found herself missing his tirades and declarations.

Green was about to leave when a choked voice called to her.

“G-Green? Wait… can we talk?”

Behind the lobby’s desk, one of the dojo’s students was staring at her with wanting eyes. He was a man her own age, handsome when he wasn’t wearing that red mask if Green recalled correctly. His name, however, escaped her.

“Yeah?” She asked, turning.

The ninja fidgeted and glanced around before leaving his desk and coming to her.

“About last night…” he began.

“You wanna do it again?”

“N-No, it’s not that- well, yes, I do want to but…”

He shook his head and took a long breath. Internally, Green groaned.

“Uh, Richard was it?”

“Ryan…”

“It was just sex, Ryan.”

Ryan pulled down his mask, revealing a stiff lip.

“No, it wasn’t. What we shared, there was more. I know you could feel it too.”

“God… I told you not to do this.”

“But that was before-”

“Before nothing. Let me be clear, okay? We left behind the bullshit of our lives for a couple hours. Nothing more.”

“At first, yeah! But after you felt more, I know it. The way you came to me and lay on my chest. That smile on your face. It was full of love.”

“I was tired,” Green groaned. “And your chest was soft.”

“But-”

“No. I’m not interested in you like that.”

As a storm of fury and sorrow consumed Ryan’s face, Green snapped around and left the gym.

It was always a man. Every time. Women always seemed to get it. Pleasure was pleasure, no more. But men, not all but some, would come crawling to her the next morning love struck. What part of, ‘one night stand,’ was so hard to understand?

She only had herself to blame, Green supposed. When she’d fallen into this routine, Joy had warned her of it. Green sighed and tried to push the pitiful look on Ryan’s face out of her mind as she made her way back to the Pokémon Centre; the first step of her routine. She’d return and watch the rookies’ matches with Joy. Step two was a nap to wash away the sting of defeat. Step three was lunch with Abby in Fuchsia Square. Then for step four, she’d return to the gym for a day of training. Only when the sun began to turn the sky orange and the haze began to roll in, did she leave for her final step. Each day, she ended with pleasure. A bad habit really but she just couldn’t help it. There were a lot of attractive and willing people in Fuchsia. Joy even had a tally going to keep track of their body counts. Joy was ahead by double digits. Which wasn’t really fair. Green had her pokémon so she wasn’t in need of a new partner every night.

Once Green returned to the Pokémon Centre she slumped on the desk and groaned.

“It happened again…”

“Yeah, I saw, tough luck.”

“Not that. The guy from last night is in love with me.”

“I keep telling you, you gotta be more firm, set your boundaries clearly.”

“How much more clear can I be than, ‘this is just sex, I don’t want anything more?’. They’re the ones who keep seeing things that aren’t there.”

“Have you tried reminding them after as well?”

“Well…” Green dodged Joy’s eye contact. “No.”

“There’s your issue.”

Green sighed and shook her head.

“But why is it that they keep trying to make more of it? Can’t they just enjoy the pleasure and move on?”

“Sex comes with baggage, girl. You gotta accept that most people aren’t as frivolous as us.”

“Whatever, I’ll say it before and after next time.”

“Amazing idea. Now come on, it’s starting.”

Joy hurried to their usual booth and Green followed, dragging her feet. Each loss seemed to drain more and more energy from her. The Pokémon Centre was quiet, as it always was this time of day. On a large screen suspended above the front desk, Cheryl’s match started. In the beginner league, Janine was limited to two, first stage pokémon. She began with her Koffing and Cheryl sent out her Goldeen. Koffing created a cloud of smoke. Koffing’s smaller size to Weezing however, meant that it could only fill a section of the arena. As Koffing spread smoke, Cheryl kept Goldeen on the outskirts of the arena, outside the smoke. Like usual, she waited, with that same neutral gaze.

“She’s gonna do the same thing again, isn’t she?” Joy asked.

“Probably, knowing her.”

Once Koffing was done, Janine switched him for Croagunk. As the pre-evolved version on Toxicroak, Croagunk was practically a smaller version of the formidable humanoid frog pokémon, standing only a few feet tall. However, he lacked a chin sac. Instead, he sported two small orange chin pouches which inflated as he croaked. In place of a pair of claws, the middle digit of Croagunk’s three-pronged hand was orange. What one might mistake for just a differently coloured finger, was in fact a stinger. From the end of each stinger, a little barb could protrude to inject poison with a jab.

In a flash, Croagunk disappeared into the cloud of smoke and the round resumed. Goldeen fired jets of water into the smoke. The jets punctured holes through the cloud, but none hit Croagunk. Janine signed and a jet of glowing poison shot back and hit Goldeen’s water bubble. It mixed with the water and Goldeen began to spasm.

“When is she going to learn?”

“Those water attacks looked stronger,” Green said.

“Doesn’t matter if she can’t land anything.”

Goldeen fell from her bubble defeated. Scowling, Cheryl returned Goldeen and sent out Magikarp. Cheryl pointed as Croagunk retreated to his cloud. Magikarp became engulfed in white flame and shot across the arena, weaving between the poles. He punctured the smoke cloud, punching a big hole through it. Croagunk flipped up out of the cloud unharmed. He landed on a pole and watched Magikarp sail by across the arena. Janine signed and Croagunk's legs burst into orange flames. From pole to pole, as quick as a bullet, he leapt and slammed a blazing hand into Magikarp. Both his bubble and white flames disappeared as Magiakarp was knocked out at once. With a huff, Cheryl returned Magikarp and stormed out of the arena.

“She never learns,” Joy tittered.

“The twins have a new winning technique,” Green giggled.

“Oh, I can’t wait to see this.”

After a short break to allow Janine’s team to recoup, Dustin took his place on the podium and sent out Growlithe his only pokémon. Grinning, he puffed out his chest and leered at Janine. Janine watched him blankly and sent out Koffing. The round began and at once Koffing began creating his cloud of smoke.

“Flare Blitz!” Dustin cheered.

Growlithe threw back his head, howled and engulfed his whole body in red flames. He charged across the arena, smashing through bamboo poles and toppling them. A cone of red flame formed in front of him. The bamboo poles caught fire as they fell. Koffing stopped blowing smoke and dodged with an alarmed cry. Growlithe blitzed the smoke cloud and dissipated it. The cloud swirled through the arena, becoming little more than lingering, thin black mist. Growlithe rounded back around to Koffing, charging as a red streak and slammed into him. Koffing shot across the arena, smashing through bamboo poles. A crack splintered his spherical body. Embers lingering in the cracks began to spread fire across his body. Screeching, Koffing spun in an effort to extinguish them but it only aggravated them. Janine returned him. While Dustin cheered, Growlithe ran in circles, still using Flare Blitz. Janine took her time releasing Croagunk. The piles of flaming bamboo were beginning to fill the arena with smoke, thickening the thin black mist.

Croagunk entered the arena. Growlithe charged and Croagunk leapt to the safety of a pole. When Growlithe smashed through it, Croagunk leapt to another. Leaping and smashing, a game of chase shot across the arena between the poles. However, as the chase went on, Growlithe slowed. His tongue hung from his mouth and his eyes drooped. The red cone began to flicker. All while Croagunk showed no signs of tiring. Eventually, Growlithe stopped and Janine signed. Croagunk leapt from his pole and jabbed Growlithe with his stinger.

“Bite him!” Dustin yelled.

Growlithe feebly gnashed his jaws but Croagunk was out of range before he even opened his mouth. Instantly, Croagunk leapt back in and jabbed Growlithe again. With a whimper, Growlithe collapsed as purple veins overtook him. The siren sounded and Dustin fell to his knees, horror-struck.

“Ah! Can’t believe it, I thought that’d win for sure!” Joy said.

“It was a good idea but he needs stamina training and to learn how to combine moves. They both do actually.”

Sure enough, when it came to Damion’s turn the exact same series of events played out. Right down to him falling to his knees at the end. Finally, Ezekiel took his place as the morning’s final challenger. Smiling, he turned his nose up at Janine and tossed out Kadabra’s ball.

“I’m afraid this will be our final time meeting, poison trainer. Today’s energies are more vibrant than ever. Our physic link is at full power. Your tricks will be meaningless!”

Kadabra folded his arms and turned his nose up too, huffing. Janine simply nodded. Instead of Koffing, she released Croagunk right away. Kadabra’s whiskers hovered, veiled in pink light as he eyed Croagunk. Small pink sparks popped from Croagunk's head.

The siren sounded and Ezekiel pressed two fingers into his forehead. A Pink light veiled his hand. Kadabra’s eyes glowed pink and he reached out his hand, tightening his claws into a fist. A pink veil enveloped Croagunk and he was lifted from the ground. Janine signed and Croagunk spat poison at Kadabra. A flash of light engulfed Kadabra and he disappeared, reappearing behind Croagunk a good distance away. However, as soon as he reappeared, Croagunk was already spitting where he appeared. Poison hit Kadabra in the face. It got in his eyes but Kadabra, filling them with purple veins. Calmly, Kadabra sat cross-legged and floated off the ground. Ezekiel flicked his wrist and pink light engulfed Kadabra’s entire head. With closed eyes, Kadabra looked to Croagunk. Janine signed and Croagunk engulfed his hands in black flames and his legs in orange. Kadabra raised a hand and it burst into pink flames. Croagunk lunged forward. A thick beam of pink energy shot from Kadabra’s hand. However, with a burst of orange flame, Croagunk hopped to the side, dodging the beam. In the next fraction of a second, Croagunk kicked off again, shooting forward. He slugged Kadabra with black flames, spinning his jaw. As Kadabra’s head twisted there was a sickening crunch. The light extinguished from Ezekiel’s hand and he opened his eyes looking horrified. Scrambling, he tossed his ball into the arena, returning Kadabra before retreating into the elevator.

“Dumbass,” Joy chuckled, shaking her head.

“Now I’m gonna hear all about, ‘cheap tricks,’ and ‘cowardice,’ tomorrow,” Green said.

“Whelp.” Joy stood. “That’s another day of no wins.”

“Yeah… I reckon next gym season Janine’s gonna be one of the later leaders trainers visit.”

“Oh definitely, she’s already being called a rookie crusher online. Surprised you haven’t moved on, to be honest.”

Green shrugged.

“Guess I’m stubborn. Besides, the company isn’t half bad.”

Joy giggled.

“You got close today.”

“Close to one knockout. Out of four.”

“Yeah, but still, it’s not like you haven’t made any progress. Hell, from what you’ve told me, even Tyrogue has mastered his rolling kick.”

“And yet with all that improvement I’m still only approaching a single knockout.”

Green shook her head and pinched the bridge of her nose.

“I just don’t know… I feel like I’m missing something but for the life of me I just can’t figure out what it is. There’s nothing online to help either. So far, apart from Jackson, I’m the only intermediate trainer to be actively challenging Janine. And the advanced trainers’ matches aren’t any help. I can barely follow them, let alone understand them.”

“Wish I could help but when it comes to battling I’d probably lose to Dustin, let alone Janine.”

“Nah, letting me vent to you helps plenty.”

Joy smirked and gave her a salute.

“Happy to be of service.”

Green giggled, sighed and slumped back in her chair.

“Oh, hey,” Joy said, “a new shipment of wafers came in today. Wanna give the little guy a treat?”

“Sure, I could do with seeing a pokémon happy after all that.”

Joy headed back to the desk and got out a bag of wafers. The broadcast of Janine’s matches cut to a news broadcast. The same, regular newswoman gave the morning broadcast. Most of the stories were mundane; a blessing. It had been weeks since Green saw her face on TV. After Celadon’s city council had decided she and Abby weren’t a fault it seemed as if the news cycle had gotten bored of them. Instead, their focus had turned to Cinnabar Island’s reopening, following the restoration project after the eruption of its volcano. The opening ceremony featured a battle between Lance and the champion. Again, like always, Lance lost. And again, like always, he had declared it to be his last loss. The spectacle of it all seemed to distract most people from her and Abby. Although, they still caught the occasional scathing glance. Once, when Green had tried flirting with a girl at her regular cafe, who had the most gorgeous, sky-blue eyes. She’d been treated to a slap and had ‘criminal’ shouted in her face. Which had just been delightful.

Green got up and joined Joy at the front desk. She released Tyrogue but he gave the wafers little more than a quick glance before hurrying off to the windows. He stood on the back of a booth, hands pressed against the glass wall as he gazed outside. Green gave Joy a shrug before going to him.

“What’s up, buddy? You see something?”

“Rouge!”

Tyrogue pointed out the window, down the main street.

“The gym? You wanna train?”

Tyrogue furrowed his brow and shook his head.

“Rogue rogue, ty-rogue, ty!”

“Whoa, slow down. I can’t understand you, remember?”

Tyrogue pursed his lips. Tapping his foot, he thought for a moment before his eyes widened. Grinning, he ran off to their room.

“What’s up with him?” Joy asked.

“No idea.”

After a moment of waiting, Tyrogue returned with Green’s swimsuit. Both Green and Joy giggled. Clutching either piece in either hand, Tyrogue hopped back up onto the back of the booth and pointed out the window with the hand holding the bikini’s top.

“Rogue!”

“The beach?” Green asked.

Tyrogue nodded and Green hesitated. She hadn’t been there since they arrived. All those scathing glares made the idea of standing out a lot less appealing. But still, Green found herself struggling to say no to the rugged determination of Tyrogue’s little face.

“Do you feel ready to evolve?” Green asked.

“R-Rogue…”

Tyrogue dodged her eyes and shuffled his feet. Gently, Green took his hand and sat in the booth, levelling their eyes.

“But you still want to try?”

Fidgeting, Tyrogue nodded. Green smiled.

“Okay, buddy. We can go.”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue’s eyes lit up and hopped down into her lap. With a tight squeeze, he hugged her, pressing his face into her collarbone. Laughing, Green patted his back.

“Alright, I’ll get changed and then we can go. Wait with Joy, okay?”

“Ty-rogue!”

He nodded, hopped onto the ground, sprinted across the lobby and leapt onto the desk. Joy tossed him a wafer and he munched on it happily. Green gathered up her swimsuit and left for her room. After changing into it and a set of baggy clothes on top, Green rejoined them with her backpack on her shoulders. Tyrogue leapt from the desk onto her shoulders. He put a foot on either one and leaned on the top of her head.

“Joy, can you let Abby know where I am when she gets back, so she doesn’t worry?” Green asked.

“Sure thing, have fun you two!”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue banged his chest, making Joy giggle. Together, Green and Tyrogue left the Pokémon Centre and headed south for Fuchsia Beach.

***

By the time they arrived at the beach, the morning haze had thinned into nothing, the sun had lost its orange hue and warmth had filled the air once again. The sight of Tyrogue standing on Green’s shoulders drew a few bewildered glances. A nice change, Green thought.

Green’s baggy clothes trapped the summer sun’s heat, cooking her alive. Stripping down to her swimsuit beneath would be a blessing, but, the Sunday crowd was thick so Green waited a little longer. Too many eyes.

Swiftly and silently, Green snuck through the crowd. Glares were nowhere to be seen but still, Green swore they were there, piercing and unseen. It was only when she reached the entrance of the hidden beach, did she allow herself a sigh and a smile.

“Ready buddy?”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue hopped off her shoulders and ran through the gap. Green hoisted her backpack off her shoulders and squeezed after him. The narrow entrance squeezed her from all sides. Suddenly, a voice spoke, making her start and hit her head.

“Oh, hello.”

“Rogue!” Tyrogue bellowed from inside the hidden beach.

When Green finally got through the gap, she saw Tyrogue glaring, standing with a wide stance and fists raised at…

Green blinked. It couldn’t be.

Dressed in purple robes was Janine, standing ankle-deep in the shallows. Toxicroak loomed on her flank, puffing his chin sac. Oddly, Janine was smiling at Tyrogue. Without her face mask, her smile warmed and softened, her hard, stark features. Green had never imagined that Janine could ever look… cute.

However, Janine’s warmth vanished immediately when she saw Green. She snapped to attention, standing tall and glaring her usual glare.

“Trainer. Is this your Pokémon?” Janine asked.

Green yanked her bag through the entrance and hurried to her feet.

“O-Oh, sorry, yeah. I didn’t think anyone else used this place. If we’re disturbing you we can-”

“No!”

Janine’s eyes widened and she took a step forward before freezing. She winced, cleared her throat and dodged Green’s eyes.

“I mean, you may stay. This a public area, after all.”

“Thanks…”

Cautiously, Green put down her bag. Out in the ocean were large pillars of rock. They littered the edge of the shallows. Between them, Croagunk hopped like a bullet, speeding up and down the length of the beach. He stopped and gazed curiously at Green.

“Croak!” Toxicroak boomed and pointed to the rocks.

Croakgunk’s eyes widened and he returned to his hopping at once.

“Is this where you train?” Green asked.

Janine nodded stiffly.

“Yes, every day. I must never stop striving for excellence.”

“Uh… are you okay?”

“W-What?”

“You just seem, uh, nervous?”

For a moment Janine stared at her, unblinking. Then, she sighed and slumped her shoulders.

“Am I really that unconvincing?”

A little tinge of pink flushed Janine’s cheeks. Dimples in her cheeks flared as she pursed her lips. And her eyes, a light, smoky grey seemed to be riddled with nerves. Green tried to stifle a giggle.

“I think you’re very intimidating.”

“Really?” Janine raised an eyebrow.

“You’re a scary trainer, for sure.”

“That’s better than nothing, I guess.”

Janine clutched the back of her neck and straightened her shoulders.

“Well, feel free to train here, Green. It’s no bother, really.”

“Oh, so you know my name?”

“W-Well, we’ve battled like half a dozen times. So of course I would!”

The tinge of pink in her cheeks warmed further. Green laughed.

“You must think I’m pretty weak, huh?”

“Not weak… just, uh, leaning.”

“That’s a nice way to say lacking.”

Janine stammered and her eyes darted back and forth.

“W-We all hit roadblocks it’s nothing to be ashamed of really!”

“I know, I’m only teasing.”

“Oh…”

Janine winced and hunched slightly. Meanwhile, Tyrogue was squaring up against Toxicroak. Before he did something stupid, Green called to him.

“Tyrogue, come!”

“Rouge!” He complained.

“Now.”

Mumbling and dragging his feet, Tyrogue came back to her and sat beside her, arms crossed. Janine smirked at him.

“He’s got a good spirit. I’m surprised you haven’t used him against me.”

“I would if he was evolved.”

“So evolve him.”

“I would,” Green laughed, “if it was that easy.”

Janine furrowed her brow and crouched down before Tyrgoue, studying him.

“He seems quite matured, did you catch him here?”

“Nah, I found him out on Route Fifteen.”

“Hmm, strange.”

Janine went to touch his arm but Tyrgoue stuck out his jaw and turned away from her. After retreating her finger, Janine stood up and crossed her arms.

“And he was on his own?” Janine asked.

“As far as I could tell. Weren’t you, buddy?”

Tyrogue nodded, staring at his feet with a scowl.

“Tyrogue very rarely go out on their own. Usually, it’s either because they were abandoned or got lost.”

“Why were you own your own, buddy?” Green asked, curiously.

Tyrogue jumped to his feet.

“Rouge rouge! Ty!”

Green giggled and shook her head while Janine clutched her chin. Slyly, Green took a small step towards Janine.

“Hey, you don’t mind if I get into my swimsuit, do you?”

“No, that’s fine,” Janine said, not taking her eyes off Tyrogue.

Green stripped off her baggy clothes. The crisp ocean air greeted her exposed skin with a lovely chill. Happily, Green sighed and basked in the cool breeze. Janine’s eyes gave her a swift glance before returning to Tyrogue. Then, they widened and snapped back to Green. Janine’s face went completely beet red and she shot her gaze into the sand.

Green smirked. She’d thought as much.

Janine kept shooting her glances, getting more visibly frustrated each time she tore her eyes away.

“So,” Green asked, “what are you training in?”

“O-Oh, just general training. Speed and Stamina mostly. Y-You? What are your plans?”

“Don’t know, he’s the one who wanted to come here. Can’t exactly spar, so, guess I could work on his enhancement. Get him weaving fighting energy in smoothly.”

“Why can’t you spar? Are you sick?”

“Huh? I can’t spar 'cause you knocked all my pokémon out.”

Janine met her eyes and cocked her head.

“You don’t spar yourself?”

“You do?”

“All fighting type trainers do. It’s standard practice. Do you know martial arts?”

“No… not exactly.”

“You… you became a fighting type trainer without knowing martial arts?”

“Y-Yeah.”

“Okay,” Janine chuckled, “I mean, Machoke I understand. They’re too powerful to spar with properly. Even Bruno wouldn’t do that. But how did you get Primeape so well mannered without dominating him in combat?”

“You-You think he’s well mannered?”

“He’s very well mannered! Ever since your re-challenge of Surge, he’s been super obedient and hardly ever rages! Toxicroak was only able to make him lose his cool by damaging his brain!”

Green had to take a double take.

“You’ve been following my challenge?”

Janine’s face dropped and went an even darker shade of red.

“Uh, well, no- I mean yes I have. But-But that was for the dojo! We-We keep tabs on all, powerful trainers!”

Green crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow.

“What pokémon did Jackson beat Misty’s Psyduck with?”

“Beedrill?”

“Jigglypuff,” Green said with a grin.

“Uh, uh.” Janine’s eyes darted. “You-You want to evolve Tyrouge, yes? I can help with that! Mhm, I can! I’ll examine him and see if he’s ready and see what form will best suit him! Come on Tyrogue!”

Janine snapped to attention, bringing her arms down by her side and spreading her feet before yelling something in the old language.

“Shizen!”

Then, Janine moved one foot back, bending her knee. She brought her left hand up as a fist to her mouth and held out her right flat, like a knife, pointed to the sky.

“Ichimonji!”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue rushed forward and stomped his feet into a wide stance. He slammed both fists into his chest, causing a shower of orange sparks to rain. Green allowed things to continue, watching with an amused smirk. Whatever all that was about, it could wait for later. There was training to be done.

Sand exploded in a spray as Tyrgoue leapt at Janine. His foot burst into orange flames as he launched a spinning kick. Janine stepped back and blocked with her forearm. It should have snapped like a twig but instead, a sound like a bell chimed, deep and heavy as a white glow pulsed from her arm. Tyrogue’s kick bounced off, spinning him through the air. With a hefty thud, he landed on his stomach. Winded, he stared at Janine as she returned to her previous stance. Then, Janine held her left fist out behind her head an extended and open palm.

“Doko!”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue jumped to his feet and charged Janine. Still, as a statue, Janine held her ground. Tyrogue leapt and engulfed his fist in red flames. Calmly, Janine stepped forward and slammed her palm into his chest. Again, a deep toll chimed and white light flashed as Tyrogue was sent flying backwards. This time, he landed on his feet. At once, he kicked off and sprinted. Janine stood on one leg and held out both hands like blades.

“Hicho!” She yelled as Tyrogue dove into a roll.

His foot burst into orange flames as he rolled and just as it was about to hit Janine in the stomach she delivered a swift, lighting fast kick to Tyrogue’s back. His roll collapsed and his foot extinguished, doing little more than bouncing off of her. Tyrogue cried out. Wincing, he struggled to his feet and raised a fist.

“Enough!” Janine ordered.

Tyrogue growled.

“Tyrogue, come!” Green yelled.

With a scowl, Tyrogue lowered his fist and returned to Green. Green retrieved a potion from her bag and sprayed Tyrgoue down. The bruises covering his legs, stomach and back faded. Janine dusted herself off and looked back at Toxicroak. With crossed arms, he nodded and Janine looked back with a smile.

“He’s brilliant. Such beautiful control of all three hitmon styles. He’s more than ready to evolve but for the life of me I can’t decide on which of three would suit him best.”

“If he’s ready to evolve, why doesn’t he?” Green asked.

“Well, because, by the looks of it he, uh, didn’t finish his journey.”

They both looked to Tyrgoue.

“Buddy, did you finish your journey?”

Tyrogue huffed, crossed his arms and stared at the ocean.

“At the end of their journey, Tyrogue spar with one another in no holds barred contests. Usually with a rival. The winners evolve into their desired hitmon.”

“And, what happens when a Tyrogue loses their fight?”

“Nothing bad, they usually just find another partner until they win.”

“But not everyone can win, right?”

“Yes, but in that case, the Tyrogue will return to Mt Mortar and repeat their journey next year with the next batch of Tyrogues.”

“Why don’t they just fight the Hitmons?”

“Hitmons see Tyrogues as children.”

“Buddy?” Green crouched beside Tyrogue. “Is that what happened to you?”

Tyrogue kicked the sand and nodded. Janine crouched beside Tyrogue.

“And, how old are you?” Janine asked.

Tyrogue scowled.

“Two?” Green asked.

Tyrogue shook his head.

“Three?”

Another shake.

“Five?”

Another shake.

“Ten?”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue snapped on his heels to face her and thrust his hands into her face, holding up all ten fingers. Then, he closed his hands and reopened them.

“Twenty?!” Janine exclaimed.

“And how many times have you done your journey?”

With a sniffle, Tyrogue held up one finger. Gently, Green took his hand into hers and held up her other.

“Buddy, which do you want to be? Hitmonchan?” She held up her index finger. “Hitmonlee?” She held up her middle finger. “Or Hitmontop?” She held up her ring finger.

Tyrogue chewed his lip and gingerly grasped Green’s ring finger.

“I guess that somewhat makes sense. Hitmontops are solitary, usually. They’re rare and find it hard to fit in with the other Hitmons. Only in extremely rare circumstances do they return to Mt Mortar. But a twenty-year-old Tyrogue? That’s unheard of.”

“For a poison master, you sure know a lot about Tyrogues.”

“I train a fighting type. Naturally, I studied every known fighting pokemon to learn their style, including Hitmontop’s.”

“Naturally.”

Green stood and loomed over Janine with her hands on her hips.

“He’s going to evolve. Today. Janine, I challenge you and Croagunk.”

Janine stood too, but gingerly.

“Hold on. I accept your challenge, but, you’re not ready yet.”

Green’s eye twitched of its own accord as those words stung at her chest.

“Then…” Green grit her teeth and forced the words from her mouth. “Teach us.”

“Sure.” Janine smiled. “Tyrogue, I’ll teach you all I know about what it takes to evolve into a Hitmontop.”

Tyrogue appeared sceptical.

“And I’ll let you battle Croagunk after.”

Tyrogue grinned madly.

“Rogue!”

“Green, pay attention too. You’ll need to understand it if you’re going to train him.”

“Right.” Green folded her arms.

Janine stood before Tyrogue and pulled her mask back over her mouth. A gaze of stone bore down on him.

“Each hitmon-style specialises in a different fundamental of fighting. Hitmonchan specialises in defence. Hitmonlee specialises in offence. But Hitmontop specialises in both. You already posses a great talent for each, but don’t be mistaken, you have much to learn.”

Tyrogue banged his chest and took a fighting stance.

“Wait!” Janine boomed, causing both Green and Tyrogue to start. “Hitmontop’s style is made unique by a third specialisation. Balance. Something you lack. Before we begin, we must start there.”

Tyrogue pouted and folded his arms.

“Stand on one leg,” Janine said.

With his arms still crossed, Tyrogue stood on one leg. Immediately, he wobbled. His eyes widened and his arms shot out to centre himself. But it was too late. Tyrogue fell on his back.

“Again.”

Grumbling, Tyrogue stood and tried again, this time with his arms out at his sides already. His brow furrowed as he maintained an unsteady balance.

“A master-level Hitmontop can fight while balanced on the head of a needle. Try and kick me.”

Tyrgoue protested, almost losing his balance in the process.

“Leap and kick, buddy,” Green said.

Tyrogue glanced back at her and nodded. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. All wobbling ceased. Tyrogue leapt with a hop. Orange fire engulfed his leg and he jabbed a kick at Janine. Janine snapped into a stance.

“Ichimonji!”

Janine blocked the kick with the back of her hand. On impact, white light and orange flame flared, battling each other. Deflected, Tyrogue flew back and landed on two feet.

“Rogue!” He grinned smugly.

“Wrong. Land on one foot, Tyrogue,” Janine said.

Sulking, Tyrogue stood on one foot and hopped back into position. Janine took her stance.

“Again.”

“Rogue!”

“Ichimonji!”

Tyrogue leapt at Janine, foot ablaze with orange flame. Again Janine blocked, but this time she swatted Tyrgoue away, sending him spinning through the air like a top. For a moment Tyrgoue flailed in the air but just before hitting the ground he stiffened. With a soft thud, his foot embedded into the sand and he stood perplexed on one foot. Janine removed her face mask.

“Impressive. Good job,” Janine said.

“R-Rouge.” Tyrogue nodded unsteadily.

While Tyrogue focused on staying on one leg, Janine looked to Green.

“Hitmontop fight almost exclusively on their head. If he’s going to be a good one, you’ll need to train him rigorously at it.”

“I think I get it. Balancing like that keeps him agile, right? When he lands he’s already ready to kick off again. And the same goes for Hitmontop?”

“Correct.”

Janine untied her scarf, crouched and thrust it into Tyrogue’s arms.

“Tie this around your head. Cover your eyes.”

“Rogue?!”

“You’re fighting with your eyes.” Janine prodded Tyrgoue in the forehead, threatening to knock him off balance. “Hitmontop fight while spinning. Sight is useless.”

Tyrogue tied the scarf around his head, covering his eyes. Immediately, he fell back to two feet. He tried standing on one foot again and held it for a few seconds only to fall back to two feet. Again and again, he tried, making more progress each time.

“How do Hitmontop see? Do they just have a good sense of space?” Green asked.

“No. They use aura detection.”

“Aura detection?”

Janine smirked.

“Toxicroak, come.”

Toxicroak, who had been watching from atop a boulder, arms crossed, hopped down and joined Janine’s side.

“Detect.”

Toxicroak closed his eyes and drew a deep breath. Orange flames engulfed his eyes. Janine threw a punch at him and he caught it without issue.

“Aura detection is a technique that involves channelling fighting energy from the heart to the eyes. When done properly, the pokémon can detect the aura of any living being.”

Janine picked up a small pebble and tossed it to Toxicroak. He snatched at it but missed and it bounced off his chest.

“So… it allows them to like, see their opponent's energy?”

“Not energy, aura. And not see, detect. Aura is the output of the soul. Every living creature has an aura, even humans. It’s what normal and fighting energy draw its power from. As well as ninjutsu enhancement techniques. Toxicroak can’t see this energy. He can feel it.”

Janine walked behind Toxicroak and threw another punch. Toxicroak whipped around and blocked the punch.

“So, you’re going to teach Tyrgoue that?”

“Oh, no. Tyrogue can’t use it. It’s a technique they can access after evolving. The blindfold is to teach him to trust his other senses.”

“Rogue!”

Tyrogue stood on one leg without any signs of imbalance. He pumped his fists while grinning. Toxicroak opened his eyes chuckled a gurgling chuckle and nudged Tyrgoue with his foot, knocking him over. Both Green and Janine shot him a scowl, but he only chuckled again and walked away. As Janine went to shout after him, Tyrgoue bellowed.

“Rogue!”

He jumped back to his feet and while still blindfolded, leapt off one foot at Toxicroak. Toxicroak turned around and his yellow eyes flashed with mischief. From above, Tyrogue jabbed a kick at Toxicroak’s head. Toxicroak deflected the kick, flinging Tyrogue away. His smirk vanished in place of shock. Tyrgoue landed on foot and immediately kicked off, launching a spinning kick at Toxicroak. Toxicroak side-stepped it and Tyrgoue went sailing past. But again, Tyrogue landed on one foot and bounced back with a jump kick. That time Toxicroak simply caught the kick and held a squirming Tyrogue by the ankle.

“Alright, enough. Drop him, now,” Janine said.

Toxicroak shrugged and dropped him before returning to his boulder. Tyrogue landed on his head.

“Tyrogue, come back,” Green said.

Scowling, Tyrogue straightened his crooked blindfold and hopped back to Green. Clutching her chin, Janine smiled approvingly.

“Alright, he’s ready. Croakgunk! Come!”

“Wait what? Really? Already?” Green asked.

“Yep.”

Tyrogue lifted his blindfold and puffed his chest out at Green. Out in the shallows, Croagunk stopped his training. He leapt from a boulder and waddled through the water back to shore. A grin was shared between him and Toxicroak before he hurried to Janine’s side. He and Tyrogue shared a glare. Tyrogue discarded his blindfold and tightened the bandages around his wrists.

“So, how will this work? Are we using official rules or casual rules?” Green asked.

“Official. One round. First to knockout. No healing. No switches.”

Tyrogue smirked and banged his fists together. Croakgunk flashed a sly smile and thrust a jab with his stinger at him. Green gave a nod.

“Alright, we’ll give it our all.”

“Good. But this isn’t about winning, okay? This is about finding his limits.”

“Like scouting?”

“Yeah, I guess that’s one way to put it.”

Green’s face hardened. Janine slipped her face mask back on and crossed the beach, putting a fair bit of distance between them. Croagunk followed behind her. The wind howled across the ocean as Green and Tyrogue stared down Janine and Croakgunk. Orange sparks spat and drops of purple liquid oozed from Croakgunk’s hand stingers. Tyrogue’s eyes narrowed and he stood on one leg, effortlessly keeping balance.

“Ready?” Janine asked.

“Ready.”

“Rogue!”

Janine pointed at them.

“Croagunk, poison spit!”

Croagunk puffed his cheeks and they glowed purple. He spat and a jet of liquid poison shot towards Tyrogue.

“Dodge and engage!” Green yelled.

Tyrogue dodged with a hop and kicked off the sand, launching himself towards Croagunk with a blazing foot. Croagunk become a blur as he darted out of the way of the jump kick. Tyrogue wobbled when he landed, fighting to keep balance. In half a heartbeat, Croagunk was behind him.

“Behind you!”

“Poison Sting!”

Tyrogue hopped awkwardly to turn around while Croagunk picked up a pebble. He spat poison onto it and clutched it in his palm. Orange sparks spat as he pitched the pebble at Tyrogue. It hit Tyrgoue in the chest, breaking his skin and embedding itself into his muscle. Purple veins began to crawl across his skin around the tiny wound. Gritting his teeth, Tyrogue’s eyes flared.

“Rogue!”

However, before Tyrogue could even move to attack, Croakgunk bent his legs. They burst into orange flames. Sand exploded beneath him as he launched across the beach like a bullet. In an instant, Croagunk was on Tyrogue. Croagunk grappled him and both pokémon flew towards Janine. Nimbly, she jumped out of the way and turned to follow the fight.

The pair landed with Croagunk grappling Tyrogue by the waist. Tyrogue gasped for air, struggling to regain the air forced from his lungs.

“Poison jab,” Janine said.

Croakgunk sat up and raised his stinger. Poison oozed from it. Tyrogue’s eyes widened and as Croakgunk jabbed, he caught Croagunk’s hand with a two-handed grip. They struggled, pushing and pulling. The purple veins crawling across Tyrogue’s chest bulged as his muscle tensed. Tyrogue screamed.

“Empower your arms!” Green yelled.

Tyrogue shut his eyes and orange sparks rained from his forearms. Then swiftly, orange flames engulfed his arms. Croagunk exclaimed as Tyrogue wrenched his arm to the side, tossing him onto the sand. He landed on his back before swiftly rolling onto his feet. As Tyrogue jumped back to one foot, Croagunk lunged at him with a jab. Tyrgoue chopped at Croakgunk’s forearm. The jab was deflected downwards and Croagunk stumbled forward. Tyrgoue slammed his knee into Croagunk’s chest and brought both fists down on his back. With a cry, Croagunk fell to his stomach. Tyrgoue hopped and brought a flaming leg down to strike Croakgunk. However, Croagunk rolled to the side and the sand exploded instead.

“Patience!” Janine yelled.

“Pressure!” Green yelled.

Croagunk glanced at her, scowled and lowered his stinger. He stood still and waited. Tyrogue got back onto one foot and immediately leapt at Croagunk. Croakgunk dashed to the side, then back towards Tyrogue. Before Tyrogue’s foot had even touched the ground, Croagunk swept out Tyrogue’s leg with a kick. Tyrogue flipped, smashing his head into the sand. When he tried to get up Croagunk punched him in the back of the head, slamming his face back into the sand. However, rather than crumpling in defeat, Tyrogue raged. Screaming and hollering, he lurched up and grabbed Croagunk’s ankle. He yanked Croagunk’s leg out from under him, bringing him to the ground with him. Both pokémon began to struggle.

“Lock his joints!” Green yelled.

“Use your strength!” Janine yelled.

Both pokémon’s limbs became engulfed in orange flame. Heat warped the air around their struggle.

Tyrogue tried to worm his arms into locking Croagunk’s shoulder while Croagunk wailed on him with closed fists, squirming to get free. Eventually, Croagunk delivered a blow to the middle of Tyrgoue’s back that rang like a cannon shot. Tyrogue spluttered and the flames died from his arms. Croagunk kicked him off him and shot to his feet.

“Poison jab.”

Croagunk veiled his stinger in poison and jabbed it into Tyrogue’s chest. Which punctured a wide, deep wound into the flesh that oozed blood and poison. Tyrogue cried out and kicked feebly.

“Get up!” Green yelled. “It’s not over yet!”

“Again,” Janine said.

Croagunk drew back to jab again but Tyrogue hollered and threw himself at Croagunk. His head clashed with Croagunk’s chest, knocking him over. With a chest riddled with purple veins, Tyrogue stood, ignited his fists with orange flames and moved onto one foot. Croagunk gurgled a laugh as he got back onto his foot, smirking.

Both pokémon leapt forward at the same time, fists extended. They clashed, hitting each other with a cross counter. Tyrogue’s flaming fist hit Croakgunk in the face, smashing his eye. While Croagunk’s stinger stabbed Tyrogue in the shoulder. Blood oozed from Croagunk’s mashed eye and poison oozed from Tyrogue’s shoulder. They both took a moment to recoil from their injuries.

“Use your kicks! Keep up the pressure!” Green yelled.

Tyrogue hollered a groaning yell as he launched a spinning, roundhouse kick, off of one foot. With a blazing forearm, Croagunk blocked the kick and deflected Tyrogue away from him. Tyrgoue landed on one foot but Croagunk dashed in before he could launch another kick. He jabbed Tyrogue in the abdomen with his stinger. Tyrogue buckled and fell to his knees. Poison and blood oozed from the round wound left in his stomach. Tyrogue raged again. Orange flames erupted from his eyes as he screamed. And as Croagunk wound back his arm for a punch, Tyrogue lurched at him. Orange flames engulfed his head as Tyrgoue headbutted Croagunk in the chest, sending him flying back a good distance. He landed on his back with a spray of sand. Shakily, he got to his feet. A huge, weeping bruise covered his chest. The three blunt protrusions on Tyrogue’s head had left behind three, narrow wounds up the length of Croagunk’s chest. Meanwhile, Tyrogue struggled to stand. As purple veins spread across his skin from both of his wounds, he faltered to stand again and again. Croagunk watched with a grin while wheezing and struggling to keep his one good eye open.

“Don’t give up buddy! Your opponent’s weak! Just a little more!”

Tyrogue grit his teeth and clenched his right fist tight. Red sparks shot from it as the muscle contracted. A mix of red, fire-energy flames and real, hot flames swirled around Tyrogue’s fist as he forced himself to stand. Once again, he moved to a one-foot stance.

“Finish it,” Janine said.

Croagunk bent his legs and engulfed them in orange flame. Just as he was about to kick off, Green yelled.

“Rolling kick!”

Sand exploded as Croagunk kicked off, becoming an orange streak. Tyrogue dove into a roll. Orange flames engulfed his leg. It extended, catching Croagunk’s shoulder as he flew over him. Orange fire exploded on impact as a ball of orange essence, whipping up the air and kicking up the sand. Croagunk floundered through the air, loose and limp, hitting the sand headfirst. Tyrogue rolled back onto one foot as Croakgunk struggled to stand. Croagunk’s shoulder stuck out, mangled and dislocated, leaving Croagunk only the arm on the side of his mashed eye. Orange flames engulfed his eyes and he shut his only good one.

“Fire punch!” Green yelled.

Tyrogue charged forward with a powerful kick of his leg, shooting through the air. Croagunk thrust a counter jab but Tyrgoue landed just at the edge of Croagunk’s reach. He hopped up and over Croagunk, landing behind him. He whipped around and slammed a fire punch into Croagunk’s back. The impact sent Croagunk staggering forward and left behind a wound of charred flesh.

“Spinning kick!” Green yelled.

Tyrogue leapt, extending both legs to the side. He spun with such speed that his legs landed three, consecutive rapid-fire kicks into the back of Croagunk’s head before he landed on one foot. Croagunk gurgled, fell to his knees and collapsed.

Panting with heavy, aggressive breaths, Tyrogue loomed over his defeated opponent with wild, bulging eyes. Then, slowly, a grin spread across his face. He looked at Janine

“R-Rouge?” He asked, panting.

“Yes. You did it.” Janine returned Croagunk.

The grin on Tyrogue’s face spread further and mania filled his eyes. He threw back his head and beat on his chest.

“ROOOOOOOGUE!”

The red flames engulfing his hand flared, shooting high above his head. The orange flames engulfing his legs whipped, lashing at the sand. All around, the rocks of the isolated beach’s walls began to light up, twinkling like a series of orange stars. Orange flames erupted from his eyes as tall, billowing pillars. The pillars split apart and descended on him, veiling Tyrgoue in a cocoon of orange fire. The flames dissipated, leaving behind an egg-shaped casket of orange light. It tightened around him, becoming skin tight. Orange snapped away in place of white and the silhouette of Tyrogue began to morph.

With an elated squeal, Green hurried over.

“Janine! He’s evolving!”

“He is.”

“Thank you!”

Green threw her arms around Janine and hugged her tight.

“It-It’s no big deal. Help-Helping trainers is my duty as Gym-Gym Leader.” Her face went beet red as she hovered a hand above Green’s back.

Tyrogue’s silhouette grew twice as tall, becoming as tall as Green herself. His head widened into a round half-dome with a spike on top. His three-fingered hands morphed into fingerless, spheres. The round bulges that were his thighs shrunk to match the width of the rest of his legs. His feet grew wider and two spiked claws protruded from their front ends and one from the back. A short stubby tail grew from his lower back with a sphere on the end. The white light disappeared, revealing Hitmontop. Two, large, round eyes with white pupils and black outer rings blinked at Green. Green let go of the flustered Janine and took Hitmontop by the shoulders.

“You did it, buddy! Look at yourself!”

Hitmontop looked at his spherical hands and twisted them back and forth. Then, he looked to his feet and raised them one at a time off the sand. Finally, when he touched the half-dome covering his head and ran his hands across the rounded top, Hitmontop grinned.

“Top!”

He flipped onto his head and spun on his head spike. But only for a few seconds. As if suddenly becoming aware of his poisoned wounds, Hitmontop collapsed. Green sucked air through her teeth and returned him.

“Okay, maybe celebrating will have to come later.”

“G-Green?” Janine asked.

“Yeah?”

Green turned back to Janine with a smile. She was staring at the sand, wide-eyed, visibly fighting with her eyes as they pulled upwards towards Green’s chest.

“Don’t-Don’t think you’re done now that he’s evolved. There’s a reason why no-no high-level trainers use Hitmontops. They’re incredibly difficult to-to train. No human can fight like th-them. So, understanding how they fight is near i-impossible.”

Suddenly aware of herself, Green gave Janine a little more room.

“I won’t get complacent, promise.”

“Goo-Good.”

Janine cleared her throat and looked to the side.

“I have books on Hitmontops that’ll be useful for your training. They’re yours, but only once you earn my badge.”

Green’s eyes flared as she smirked.

“Deal. Next time I challenge you, I’ll not only beat Toxicroak but your whole team.”

Janine returned her smirk, impishly.

“We’ll see.”

-----

Thanks for reading! Feedback is appreciated <3

Next chapter, Abby and Jackson encounter a pair of powerful trainers while training their pokémon

3