12 – Tanpopo
119 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
NSFW

Money is a universal language.

It communicated to an innkeeper that they needed nice lodgings and good food, and so they were able to get both without being able to speak a word of each others' language.

They had made it to the capital of the country of Shísuàn (1), Mǔdanshì (2), a day's walk west of Yùhǎi. Despite intense silent reluctance (on Tsubaki's part) and outright suspicion (on Ayame's part), Eitsu had carried first one, then the other, part of the way, as the women's stamina levels dropped. On securing their lodgings, Eitsu promptly crawled into bed and fell asleep for the rest of the night and most of the next day, waking only when night had fallen once more. She opened her eyes in her cat form to find Tsubaki carefully combing oil through her long dark hair.

For a moment, she lay still, making no indication she had woken, watching the smooth movement of the comb through the shining, straight strands, perfumed by the oil. Eitsu wondered briefly what the oil was, that Tsubaki would always use it - even her clothing and her bedding back with the troupe had been embedded with the smell.

The same way her hands, as a child on the street, had brushed Eitsu's golden fur in her first life, so the pale hands moved meditatively now, up and down, the wooden comb slick with oil. It seemed lonely, somehow. Eitsu turned away and wriggled out of the covers.

"You're awake."

Eitsu hummed noncommittally and began to trot over to a screen in the corner of the room. Behind this screen, she transformed into her human shape and donned clothing that had been set aside for her.

"... Eitsu-sama?"

She poked her head quizzically out from behind the screen. This hesitant tone was not one she was familiar with, coming from Tsubaki. The performer's small eyebrows twitched repeatedly.

"Yes, Tsubaki-san?" Eitsu said at last, when there was no follow-up.

Tsubaki flinched, but said nothing.

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

The performer seemed to be clenching her fists inside her sleeves again. Eitsu saw the slight movement of fabric. 

"Well, I have something to say." She inclined her head apologetically. "I'm sorry."

Those slim eyebrows drew together. "Why?"

"For being so impolite to you all this time. You've been so patient, and dedicated, for so many years, through more than one of my lives, and I was discourteous and caused you trouble."

Tsubaki uttered a soft "Ha!" without an ounce of mirth behind the sound. She turned her face away. When she spoke, it was as if she spoke through a mouthful of blood. "A kami should never bow to a mortal. It has been my honour to serve you, Eitsubyou wo Mikoto-sama."

"I'm showing my sincerity. You should feel... lucky, to experience this. I will see you later, Tsubaki-san."

"Wait! Where... Where are you going, Eitsu-sama?"

"Only for a little walk. Do you need something?"

"... No. Thank you for your consideration."

"Then, I'll see you later." And she slipped out into the night.

The busy streets hummed. Eitsu's head swivelled back and forth continuously, catching occasional familiar smells of foods, but mostly unfamiliar ones - perfumes she had never smelt before, the aroma of different building materials... even the soil smelt different here.

Some things do not change, however.

She followed her nose towards the scent of sweat and flowers, a scent of warm bodies entwining. With all the fighting and travelling, it had been a little while since she had played around. It would be nice to indulge.

In the glow of rows and rows of red lanterns, she padded quietly along, locking eyes with the district workers as she passed by, slipping between clients, drunk, guilty, boisterous, overbearing, embarrassed.

She was slinking through a particularly loud and dense crowd when a small hand shot out and caught her sleeve.

"You! I pick you!"

Eitsu couldn't exactly understand what the young man was saying, but she got the idea from the appraising look he gave her over his fan. He was girlishly pretty, with large dark eyes and delicate features, his small build accentuated by the way his his robes slipped from his shoulders. Eitsu shook her coin pouch ruefully to demonstrate its slender contents, but the youth tugged her sleeve again with a coy smile.

"It's okay, I've had enough of old men for now. Come cleanse my palate for a bit."

He took her hand and led her through the crowd, several members of which watched jealously as they disappeared. Inside the brothel it was dark and quieter, although gasps and moans could be heard through the closed doors. The youth brought Eitsu to an empty room and began to carefully undo her robes.

"What kind of service would you like?"

Eitsu smiled helplessly. "I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying."

"Huh... a foreigner. From east of the sea?" the youth made gestures with his hands to clarify his meaning. Eitsu nodded, amused.

"Wow. Are you travelling? I wish I could travel. I want to see so many things... Ah, you can't understand me. Never mind." He lay down on the bed, his own robes falling easily from him. "Let's just see where this takes us."

Eitsu followed him, nuzzling at his neck and ears. The young man laughed and squirmed. "That tickles."

Eitsu laughed too, and deliberately tickled his exposed sides. He shrieked with laughter and pounced for her stomach. They rolled about, tickling and laughing, until Eitsu pressed him down successfully, nibbling his ears and neck while he wriggled below her, laughing helplessly with his hands pinned by the sides of his head.

"S-stop! It's too much!" He still was obviously enjoying the situation; Eitsu could feel his erection beneath her, and she sat back to admire her handiwork. Parts of his body were flushed a delicious pink and she wanted to sink her teeth into him.

Panting, he took the opportunity to twist around and pull a small sponge from a box nearby. "Here... Let me..."

Although she thought it was very unlikely that he would make her pregnant, Eitsu obediently rolled off him onto her back, and he slid down between her legs, skilfully licking her thighs. She tensed and shivered as his fingers pressed the sponge into her, followed quickly by another part of his body. He sighed, as if with relief.

"Ah, this is good..."

Eitsu entwined her legs with his and playfully flicked at his nipples. He let out a low groan, and tremor running through him. "Hey, stop teasing. I can't thrust if you tangle my legs up like this..."

But Eitsu was merciless. She pinched and flicked him, her legs preventing him from moving, and all he could do was grip the sheets and whimper.

"P... Please..." He almost sounded on the verge of tears. Eitsu took pity and unwound her legs, and the youth immediately began to thrust, looking almost delirious. She clawed lightly at his back with pleasure, panting. 

He seemed to catch himself, sat back, and slid his finger down her abdomen. "H-here?" His slender fingertip made swirling motions. Eitsu trembled happily, but she rolled until she was back on top of him, the pair almost falling off the bed. From there she pushed her hips back and forth, as he continued to massage at her with his thumb. Hands gripping the side of his ribcage, she rode him until his thumb rubbed her to a climax and she paused, panting and shaking, gripping him inside her.

"Do you.. want to stop?" he gestured with his hands, looking intensely reluctant. Eitsu caught the look and laughed, rising forwards and pumping her hips up and down. The youth yelped and gripped her flanks, groaning as she moved.

"Ah... Yes... yes!" 

She felt him come, his fingers digging into her as he threw his head back, gasping, his eyes disoriented and watery. He covered his face with his hands and stared at her between his fingers as he fought to control his breathing. She leant forward, and with the very tip of her tongue, licked the back of his hand. He shivered and she clenched around him, still inside her.

"St- stop... Ah... Don't... Ha... Ha..."

He was like a soft little bird or mouse in her claws. She wanted so badly to toy with him even more, but she peaceably lay down, spreading her weight she that she wasn't resting entirely on his chest. Still, she couldn't resist creeping her fingers up his chin to his lips. He gently nibbled her fingertips. 

"What's your name?" she asked. She tapped her nose. "Eitsu. I'm Eitsu."

"Bou Gong Ying (3)," he replied at last, once he understand her meaning. He mimed blowing the seedhead of a flower, the little seeds scattering into the air.

"Ah... Tanpopo (4)."

"I wish... Damn, why do I still have to work tonight? I'm tired of this."

Eitsu pressed her ear to his chest and listened to the thud-thud-thud- of his heartbeats slowing down.

"Thank you, Miss Eitsu. I wish... I wish we understood each other. I want to hear about your travels. I want to know who you are and why you're here. I want... I want to be out there too. I want... I want so many things..."

Thud. Thud. Thud.

"Miss Eitsu, you'll probably walk out of here tonight and never return, right? That's kind of sad... Ah, what am I talking about? Is it because you don't understand me that I'm just rambling like this?" 

His hands stroked her hair. She lifted her head and looked into his eyes. He smiled cheerfully at her. 

"Might as well make the most of it. Should we go one more time before I have to go back to work?"

*

Eitsu returned to the inn where she was staying with Tsubaki and Ayame. When she entered their room, Tsubaki was seated at the window, looking out onto the lights of the city. Ayame was snoring robustly in bed.

"Tsubaki-san, why are you still up? Can you not sleep?"

The performer turned her dark eyes to the cat. "I didn't realise what time it was. There is some leftover food if you want it."

A sizeable array of dishes were arranged on the low table. Eitsu sat and began to eat.

Tsubaki's eyes drifted over her re-tied hair, her neck... She immediately looked away when Eitsu looked up.

"Are you ready to talk to me yet?"

"I am always happy to converse, Eitsu-sama," Tsubaki replied, with a tone that indicated she would rather stab herself in the eye.

"That's not what I meant. You had something to say to me."

"... Not now."

"What is it that's holding you back? Is there something I can do to make it easier for you?"

Tsubaki suddenly raised her head, their glances locking. She was chewing her lip as if to prevent words from spilling out. 

"What is it, Tsubaki-san?"

"I... It's nothing." She stood up and took off her outer robe. "I'm going to bed."

They left the next morning, Eitsu stealing glances at Tsubaki, Tsubaki staring grimly at the road with darkened eyes, Ayame chattering ceaselessly.

"There was a big event last night, the servants in the kitchen said! Apparently some rich person paid the release price for one of the most popular red-light workers!"

"How could you find that out when you can't even speak the language here?" Eitsu asked, quirked an eyebrow.

Ayame ignored her. "The owner was tearing her hair out but money is money, so he was released. His name was... Daisy? Chamomile? Anyway, what luck, huh? Some workers are trapped their until they lose their looks. How horrifying! He was very fortunate; the person who paid for him is apparently well known for their philanthropy. I'm sure he'll be treated well from now on. Ah, what was his name?!"

"I'm sure it was something like what you said," Eitsu said. "He's very lucky."

"Right? That's what all the girls in the kitchen were saying..."

Tsubaki cast an unfathomable glance in Eitsu's direction, then turned her eyes back to the road and kept walking.


Notes:

(1) 石蒜 (Shísuàn) - Red Spider Lily

(2) 牡丹市 (Mǔdanshì) - Tree Peony City

(3) 蒲公英 (Bou Gong Ying) - Dandelion (Cantonese)

(4) The Japanese pronunciation of the same word. Written using the same characters as in Chinese.

2