18 – Zhào Xīn
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
A/N: I ran out of time to do the footnotes - they'll be up by the end of Monday AEST

“Honourable guest?”

Tai Kikuryuu appeared out of the night, carrying a lantern. Its dim light barely raised the details of Eitsu's form as she crouched under a plum tree, head in her arms. His eyes fell on the broken box beside her. A tuft of a red and white fur poked out.

“Honourable guest, are you alright?”

Eitsu sighed, pushed herself upright and rubbed her eyes. “I will be. Is everything ready?”

“It is. How quickly can you run?”

Eitsu tested her limbs. She felt heavy, weak, light-headed, but she limbered up with a faint grin. “I've seen how people like you jump around. Go as fast as you can. I'll keep up.”

With a nod, Tai Kikuryuu pushed off from the ground and flashed away north. Eitsu flowed after him, simultaneously revelling in her speed and feeling a thousand years weighing her down.

The most recent years were the heaviest.

“This way.”

They left the compound of buildings and raced between trees, not a foot put wrong despite the pressing dark.

“We're leaving the Way of the Mountain School and heading to the Clear Sight School. It's just over there.”

Another compound of buildings blazed ahead, watchfires set along the walls. They dropped down before the gate and Tai Kikuryuu called out.

“Senior Disciple of the Way of the Mountain, Cheng Guk Lung, escorting a guest.”

A symbol glowed red on the door, a huge diamond shape, the edges formed by strings of characters that Eitsu could not fully interpret. Flame-like loops whirled within.

It faded, and the gate opened. They darted in, and were joined by a disciple in similar-looking robes to Tai Kikuryuu's, only in a dark red shade rather than brown trimmed with yellow.

“Cheng Shī xiōng1师兄 (shī xiōng) - a male disciple of similar age but older than the speaker..”

“Is everyone ready?”

“They are.”

A moment later they were entering a large room with a low square table, surrounded by a variety of characters. Eitsu saw Tsubaki among them, Ayame close by her side. She turned her eyes away almost immediately.

Tai Kikuryuu bowed to all those present. “Thank you, shī fu2师傅 (shī fu) - Master., shī xiōng, shī jiě3师姐 (shī jiě) - a female disciple of similar age but older than the speaker.. This is the honourable guest who requires your assistance. I will act as translator.”

All eyes turned to Eitsu. She looked exhausted, dishevelled, with the once-fine robes that Rei had draped her in all wrinkled and torn in parts. Fierce gazes picked her apart.

Dig deep, kami.

“Is that so?” She shed her human form, gritting her teeth as she pulled herself back towards how she had once appeared. Golden fur. Three red lines on either cheek. She shook herself, and the bell on her red collar rang out.

The large golden cat sat amongst the pile of clothes where the woman had stood.

A middle-aged woman at the end of the table nearest to Eitsu stood and bowed to her. “Great spirit, my name is Zhào Xīn4趙馨 (Zhào Xīn) - 'to surpass' and 'fragrant'., Acting Master of the Gales of Battle School. Please explain your circumstances to us.”

Tai Kikuryuu explained as he translated, “She's the highest ranked person currently present at Hanasan.”

Eitsu considered the woman. Average height, average build, dark brown hair. Robes the colour of mature bamboo. A green light flashed in her eyes and was gone. Eitsu nodded approvingly, but before she could speak, someone else stood and bowed to the floor.

“Please permit this unworthy one to speak,” Tsubaki said quietly. Ayame watched her nervously.

Eitsu extended and retracted her claws and dropped her gaze. “Go on.”

“I wish to present the Okami-sama, Manekineko Eitsubyou no Mikoto. She brings... gifts of luck, and punishments of insanity.”

As one, the people in the room bowed to Eitsu again, this time with distinctly different expressions, and Zhào Xīn turned to Tsubaki.

“Are you a priestess, young lady?”

“She is,” Eitsu interrupted, before Tsubaki could respond. “My first and only.”

If the others in the room noticed the strange atmosphere between them, they ignored it politely.

“I'm Zhāng Yàn5章焰 (Zhāng Yàn) - 'regulation/chapter/order/seal' and 'flame'.,” said another man, rising and bowing. He looked to be about the same age as Zhào Xīn and wore the red robes of the Clear Sight School. “We heard from Disciple Zeng that you are being troubled by a fox spirit. How powerful is this creature that it can cause trouble for one such as yourself?”

“What are you suggesting, Sir Zhāng?” a woman at the other side of the table interrupted before Tai Kikuryuu could translate. “That Lady Eitsubyou is lying?”

“I never said that! Are you trying to fight me?”

“I think you just need to behave yourself.”

“They don't get along,” Tai Kikuryuu explained to Eitsu, ignoring the bickering. “Fire and Water.”

Eitsu closed her eyes with a sigh, and when she opened them, a light flashed across the room.

A sound like a bell being struck rang in everyone's ears.

Zhāng Yàn yelped and fell backwards, batting wildly at something no one could see. The other woman had frozen, her eyes wide with shock and whole body shaking. Seconds later they both collapsed, gasping, but clear-eyed.

“I thought I could get some assistance here,” Eitsu hissed, hiding the effort it had taken to shut down the argument. “Was I wrong?”

“Are you really going to harm the name of the Mount Huā Sect?” Zhào Xīn glared at the arguing duo. “Stay quiet until called, both of you.”

With the room now settled, Eitsu finally began to explain. “I am no longer as strong as I used to be. Several years ago, I met death but instantly reincarnated into another form. For some reason, my successive lives have been brief, and with each death, my powers take some time to return.”

“Cats really have nine lives,” commented the irrepressible Zhāng Yàn, but he shut his mouth quickly when the rest of the room glared at him.

“I'll admit it. I'm weak right now. And the kitsune who has been following me seems to want two things: to kill Tsubaki, and to imprison me.”

“Please tell us more about this fox spirit, Lady Eitsubyou.”

“He goes by the name Rei. He's operating as a poacher, trading in legendary animals.”

Tai Kikuryuu could barely finish translating the sentence before he and the other members of Hanasan broke into agitation.

“That same person that was behind the auction at Yùhǎi.”

“Yuān Mù Shī fù sent word that the one behind all the disappearances was a hú li jīng with strange powers.”

“Wasn't there a report of a thousand year-old cat that disappeared in Yamato?”

All eyes swivelled back to Eitsu.

“I don't know what you were talking about, but it seems like you've heard of him.” She hopped up onto the table, knocking aside tea cups, and settled down calmly. “Anyway, it seems he's interested in acquiring me for his collection.”

“We will assist you, Lady Eitsubyou,” one of the audience member declared. She'd already forgotten his name.

“Hey, Tai-san, who was he again?”

“Um, that's Zhāng Yàn, or Shou Homura in Yamato-go if that helps you remember.”

“Probably not. Anyway, why's he yelling about helping me when I haven't even explained the full circumstances?”

“Um... He gets a little excited, but we've also heard a lot of things about this Rei person.”

“Such as?”

“We've had a couple of people investigating the legendary creatures that have been disappearing. Rei, or Lí, as we know him, has been linked most recently to the deaths or capturing of... let's see... a herd of kirin, a pair of komainu, an... anqa... which I believe is similar to a phoenix, and her clutch of young... We're still receiving reports as they head further west.”

“West... They're not that smiley monk and that death wizard, are they?” she asked, remembering the odd pair who had handed her the box of her past pelts.

“Death wizard...? If you mean Yuān Yì Fēng of the Yuān Wěi School, and the necromancer they are managing, then yes. You've met?”

Managing? That's not how it looked to me. “It was at a certain auction.”

“Ah.” Tai Kikyuruu took a few moments to translate for the rest of those present.

“Then perhaps you met the demon hunter as well?” Zhào Xīn asked.

“I don't remember a demon hunter, but then, there were lots of people around.”

“Well, we can tell you at least that Mount Huā has been made aware of Lí's actions, and we have our people out looking for him. I believe there are a few other places who are on the look out too.”

“Do you know what you're up against?” Eitsu asked drily. The effort of holding her original cat-form was becoming harder and harder to maintain, but she had to hold on.

“We're aware of the powers of hú li jīng, Lady Eitsubyou. Seduction and nightmares, possession... We're told he also wields a sword, and has a strong Wood element.”

Eitsu's ears pricked up. “He what?”

“Were you not aware? Apparently all of his servants are... tsukumogami? Is that how you say it?”

“That's right...” Eitsu thought of the two doll-girls and tried to keep her expression neutral. Of course the rest of the staff running around at the auction were tsukumogami too. She must have been in a bad state to miss it.

“Tsukumogami made of wood, specifically. And then, of course, those death powers of his.”

The air seemed to have been sucked out of the room.

Eitsu glanced at Tsubaki and Ayame. The dancer didn't look particularly surprised, but rather a sort of grim realisation seemed to be appearing on her face. The little girl looked like she was about to cry.

Eitsu's head hurt. Her heart hurt. She was tired.

Her form flowed back into that of the little black cat that she was in this life, and she picked her way down the table, over to Ayame's lap, and there she settled.

“It's okay, kid. Nothing to be scared of.”

Ayame's mouth trembled. She gathered Eitsu up in a hug, and the cat sighed deeply and rested her head on the girl's shoulder. The elders around the table looked at the child sympathetically, but nonetheless, Zhào Xīn gestured for Tai Kikuryuu to hand her a document. “The last report provided by Yuān Yì Fēng describes his powers as being those of a psychopomp or death guide. In other words, a being that is present at the point of death who takes the souls of the departed.”

“Shinigami,” Tsubaki whispered.

Eitsu sat up. “Has anyone heard of a shinigami being responsible for a particular person? Or being able to mark them?”

“What do you mean, Lady Eitsubyou?”

“I just can't understand how he kept finding me so easily, in every life.”

Heads turned around the room, but no-one seemed to have an answer.

“Perhaps a curse or stigmata?”

“Would it be possible to curse a luck deity though?”

“Lady Eitsubyou, I think for the time being, until we have more information, it would be safest for you and your companions to stay in the Clear Sight School,” Zhào Xīn suggested. “At least there the Fire energy will repel his Wood powers. How long do you think it will take for your powers to return?”

“Hard to tell,” Eitsu admitted. Her body felt depleted. “It could be months, or years.”

“We'll ask around for more information, to see if anyone at all knows anything more about Lí. Disciple Cheng?”

“Master?”

“I'll leave it to you to organise the intelligence gathering. The Cheng family is known for its prowess in this field, after all.”

“Yes, Master.”

“Lady Eitsubyou, rooms have been prepared for you and your companions. If you wish, you may also take part in the daily activities of Mount Huā. The little girl has Water and Earth attributes, so it might suit her to learn a little of the Still Heart Practice and Way of the Mountain while she is here.”

“We'll see,” Eitsu said vaguely, unwilling to agree to anything while she was so tired. “Let's go, Aya-chan. I can see you falling asleep.”

Everyone rose and made the usual bows to each other, than Tai Kikuryuu led them from the meeting room to their accommodation.

When they were finally along, Ayame fell asleep almost immediately, without even removing her clothing. Eitsu took on human form to cover her with a blanket.

Tsubaki stood stock-still in the middle of the room.

“We need to talk,” Eitsu said. “But not now. Now, I need to sleep. You need to sleep. Go to bed, Tsubaki. We'll talk in the morning.”

Without waiting for a response, she slipped back into her cat form, curled up at Ayame's side, and closed her eyes.

1